Verified:

farmer Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 1:26:03

now maybe they can get the brexit deal passed

Oceana Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 4:28:08

They ever work out how they going to handle the Ireland , N. Ireland. Border with Brexit?

Leto Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 15:33:25

Lame

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 14th 2019, 15:59:15

tories won by enough they dont need DUP votes anymore

so at least thats simpler, they can just screw NI if they want to

or they can go with the fake no border border thing where somehow goods going into NI arnt inspected across the channel but goods going to IRE are

or somehow have customs that arnt actually on the border but maybe ~20k in so they screw over less people and dont have to have military on the border

sfbob Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 16:37:50

We are screwed. Leaving the biggest free market in the world that has brought prosperity for decades, goodbye to our food standards soon we'll be forced to eat US chlorinated chicken, we'll be paying through the nose for US medicine basically we are about to see exactly how much the big economies in the world can screw us over in our desperation to get a trade deal. Yeah we'll be able to catch as much fish as we want and keep Spanish fishermen out of our waters but what good will it do when we can't sell any of the fish to Europe.

sinistril Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 17:24:39

Originally posted by sfbob:
We are screwed. Leaving the biggest free market in the world that has brought prosperity for decades, goodbye to our food standards soon we'll be forced to eat US chlorinated chicken, we'll be paying through the nose for US medicine basically we are about to see exactly how much the big economies in the world can screw us over in our desperation to get a trade deal. Yeah we'll be able to catch as much fish as we want and keep Spanish fishermen out of our waters but what good will it do when we can't sell any of the fish to Europe.

Bro, you're completely, utterly brainwashed
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 14th 2019, 17:54:55

Apart from the british breakfast, which everyone in the world envies, your food is already trash tho. :P

Why do you care so much about food standards and medicine prices? Those things can go either way, what you should be worried about is how to solve the north ireland- ireland border and how the scottish will react. That and the cost in jobs etc.

Either way when your choice is J Corbyn or B Johnson you are in a really fluffty spot no matter what.

sfbob Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 18:15:24

No one, literally no one in England cares about the Northern Irish border. It's only an issue for people who live there. So long as whatever happens there works it's ok. Scotland is a different matter, they will push hard for independence now. Could be the start of the break up of the Union. No idea if that's a good or bad thing.

On the British food thing, yeah our traditional food is not that apetetising stuff like shepherd's pie, roast beef dinners, stew and dumplings, Cornish pasties etc.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 14th 2019, 19:09:54

That might explain the bad teeth situation...

/me runs
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 14th 2019, 19:18:10

Well unless they make a really clever solution there it will be another decade or two of guerilla war and terrorism there. You might not like ISIS or al-queda terrorists and perhaps brexit will reduce the frequency of those attacks but you have something very close to you that can cause the same kind of bloodshed and destruction unless its dealt with with very intelligently. And Boris Johnson doesn't strike me as someone who will take the time to take in all aspects of a situation before making a decision. He will rush brexit, just as he has promised, lol.

Either way, your problem, not mine.

Marshal Game profile

Dec 14th 2019, 21:35:28

Originally posted by Oceana:
They ever work out how they going to handle the Ireland , N. Ireland. Border with Brexit?

not yet but his promise was that no borders between any of those.

voters apparently believed that (maybe they would buy london bridge too).

he has year to deal all kind of contracts with eu (and 6 months to ask more time to sort everything).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

sfbob Game profile

Dec 15th 2019, 0:09:29

I don't know what will happen but I'm sure it won't be good. Best case scenario we become the worlds biggest tax haven. Worse case scenario is some sort of Mad Max distopia.

BROmanceNZ

Dec 15th 2019, 2:26:42

First Past the Post is a trash voting system if the Conservatives can gain more than 50% of the seats in Parliament by winning only 43% of the vote. Then you’ve got the Green Party with 1 seat on 2.7%, the Brexit Party with 0 seats from 2%, while the DUP gets 8 seats from 0.8% and the SNP gets 48 from 3.9%.

If Labour and the Liberal Dems added their vote support together, they’d have a higher vote percentage than the Conservatives but still only 214 seats in Parliament.

sinistril Game profile

Dec 15th 2019, 3:39:55

Originally posted by BROmanceNZ:
First Past the Post is a trash voting system if the Conservatives can gain more than 50% of the seats in Parliament by winning only 43% of the vote. Then you’ve got the Green Party with 1 seat on 2.7%, the Brexit Party with 0 seats from 2%, while the DUP gets 8 seats from 0.8% and the SNP gets 48 from 3.9%.

If Labour and the Liberal Dems added their vote support together, they’d have a higher vote percentage than the Conservatives but still only 214 seats in Parliament.

43% is really high for fptp. Why weren't you complaining about it before it was such a decisive win?
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

BROmanceNZ

Dec 15th 2019, 5:36:59

Originally posted by sinistril:
Originally posted by BROmanceNZ:

43% is really high for fptp. Why weren't you complaining about it before it was such a decisive win?

I’ve always hated FPTP. This is the first opportunity I’ve had on here to voice that opinion.

I’d feel the same way if Labour had won with the exact same %s.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 15th 2019, 11:54:17

preferential/ranked choice/single transferable vote
basically forces you to choose who you dont want to be elected in a 3+ way contest

but you quite often get really low primary vote parties winning elections, maybe 35% is the lowest it got in australia

if you want to have proportional representation you need to have larger electrorates with more seats, the only one im familiar with in the lower chamber is hare-clark in tasmania and ACT, sounds like ireland and malta are the only 2 at national level who do it, maybe theres a lot more in the second/upper chamber

one way to do it is have 2 chambers, one where you pick the single most popular candidate by some method for a small geographical region, then the other where you take a much bigger region, potentially the whole country and let in minority views

uk is weird with the house of lords though and i dont understand it, about 800 eligible with 400 normally showing up, and not even room for all of them

i dont know a lot about mixed member and added member, but maybe countries just give out virtual seats to make things 'fairer' to parties that get a lot less seats than votes in the main house

i recall something about minimum percentages to get the bonus seats in eu elections too

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 2:15:05

Originally posted by enshula:
preferential/ranked choice/single transferable vote
basically forces you to choose who you dont want to be elected in a 3+ way contest

but you quite often get really low primary vote parties winning elections, maybe 35% is the lowest it got in australia

if you want to have proportional representation you need to have larger electrorates with more seats, the only one im familiar with in the lower chamber is hare-clark in tasmania and ACT, sounds like ireland and malta are the only 2 at national level who do it, maybe theres a lot more in the second/upper chamber

one way to do it is have 2 chambers, one where you pick the single most popular candidate by some method for a small geographical region, then the other where you take a much bigger region, potentially the whole country and let in minority views

uk is weird with the house of lords though and i dont understand it, about 800 eligible with 400 normally showing up, and not even room for all of them

i dont know a lot about mixed member and added member, but maybe countries just give out virtual seats to make things 'fairer' to parties that get a lot less seats than votes in the main house

i recall something about minimum percentages to get the bonus seats in eu elections too

We have double houses in Australia, and we have a lot of minor parties as well, which is why primary votes.for the main 3.5 (labor, libs, nats and greens, usually in that order) are so low. Especially in recent years, where we have had genuine independents pick up lower and upper house seats. The upper house works slightly differently to the lower house though. Where the lower house is 100% on preferences, the upper has the ability for preference deals to come into play, as there is both above and below the line voting. (Basically, above the line means you number the first 6 boxes per party lines, while below the line you preference every single candidate individually. What that means, is that the parties can choose where those above the line preferences go. We usually end up with either labor in power, or the luberal national coalition, and the greens get a few seats, whivh is why I counted them as a 0.5. Plus, you have to remember that we also have compulsory voting here, so that 35% for the libs is actually higher proportionately than the US's effectively, what, 25ish percent or so? (Usually a 40-50% voter turnout, say 50% each candidate plus or minus a little equates to only axtually about 20-25% of the hypothetical total vote

Politics worldwide is pretty well a fluff mess at present though. No one with any real sense, legitimately thinking about fixing problems, and all about peraonal empowerment and enrichment, and paying off ones mates.

Edited By: Drow on Dec 16th 2019, 2:20:41
See Original Post

Retired Earth type.

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 2:17:34

I vote below the line generally, because I dont believe party politics should have ajy place in our federal upper house, which is supposed to represent each states wishes and interests, and act as a counterbalance to the lower house parliament. It can get ry challenging as you get towards the end, trying to work out who you really want to give your vote to the least :/

Retired Earth type.

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 2:22:17

Originally posted by farmer:
now maybe they can get the brexit deal passed

Doubtful. Johnson wants all the benefits of being in the EU, but none of the responsibilities. He'll crash course to a no deal need it because he doesn't care. Be ready for a new border in Northern Ireland, and the IRA becoming active again.

Retired Earth type.

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 2:30:33

I do have to givr johnson credit though, going to the election well early was always going to go in his favour.

Retired Earth type.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 16th 2019, 2:55:28

i vote below the line because i like to vote in reverse order because of preference exhaustion/dilution

so say im voting for major party 1

then i vote their last candidate first and their first canditate last so that instead of each filled quota making my vote count less i skip to the one which turns into the next party i choose

also i like to start voting for the parties i like the least first its more fun so actually start at 60 then 59 and so on, its the ones near the middle when i dont really know who they are thats hard, its usually easy to pick which far right/left/both parties you want to put last

especially since a lot of parties were set up as preference funnels for other parties, but it got harder to run parties without real members

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 3:12:30

Originally posted by enshula:
i vote below the line because i like to vote in reverse order because of preference exhaustion/dilution

so say im voting for major party 1

then i vote their last candidate first and their first canditate last so that instead of each filled quota making my vote count less i skip to the one which turns into the next party i choose

also i like to start voting for the parties i like the least first its more fun so actually start at 60 then 59 and so on, its the ones near the middle when i dont really know who they are thats hard, its usually easy to pick which far right/left/both parties you want to put last

especially since a lot of parties were set up as preference funnels for other parties, but it got harder to run parties without real members

Preference funnels only work in the upper house here, and even the effectiveness of that got reduced when Turnbull got a senate with a massive crossbench thanks to the minor parties preferencing each other. Unfortunately, it can be really fluffing hard picking between the loonies as to which loonies you don't want in more. That 59th preference for loonies a could make a difference, and mean them getting a seat lol

Especially when a bunch of the loonies like to give their parties misleading or outright false names, trying to rely on people not knowing much about them to get votes.

Personally, Im a big fan of the Pirate Party. Common sense policies, and they merged the sex party in with them a few years back.

Edited By: Drow on Dec 16th 2019, 3:15:27
See Original Post

Retired Earth type.

farmer Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 3:20:16

In 2018 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion. That is a lot what do you get in return?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 16th 2019, 4:23:22

Norway pays about the same net per citizen to be in Schengen and that is the deal the Brexiters are looking to get. The difference is that they dont get to vote in the EU parliament but they get access to the EU market pretty much.

Now the clincher is that Norway has a lot of that freedom of movement of people towards EU that the Brexiters have promised to do away with. No country has the deal that the Brexiters promised that GB would get, and the EU reps have been consistent from the start that such a deal is impossible.

So they either get a no deal brexit, which will
-cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of jobs, in the short and medium term due to not having free access to the EU market.
-Stir up a lot of dissent in Scotland and Northern Ireland and possibly wake up IRA. ultimatly the union could possibly have breakouts of their own.
+full control of their own environmental policies, fishing waters, agriculture etc
+They can fully control of migration in whichever way they please.
+they no longer pay the 9 billion (tho the cost could be an order of magnitude or more higher in lost jobs)

Or they get the "Norway deal" which is pretty much
+/- unchanged net cost
+/- unchanged migration
+/- unchanged control of their own environmental policies, fishing waters, agriculture etc
- they can no longer vote in the parliament on decisions that could potentially affect them

sfbob Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 13:50:54

Originally posted by Gerdler:
Norway pays about the same net per citizen to be in Schengen and that is the deal the Brexiters are looking to get. The difference is that they dont get to vote in the EU parliament but they get access to the EU market pretty much.

Now the clincher is that Norway has a lot of that freedom of movement of people towards EU that the Brexiters have promised to do away with. No country has the deal that the Brexiters promised that GB would get, and the EU reps have been consistent from the start that such a deal is impossible.

-cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of jobs, in the short and medium term due to not having free access to the EU market.
-Stir up a lot of dissent in Scotland and Northern Ireland and possibly wake up IRA. ultimatly the union could possibly have breakouts of their own.
+full control of their own environmental policies, fishing waters, agriculture etc
+they no longer pay the 9 billion (tho the cost could be an order of magnitude or more higher in lost jobs)

+/- unchanged net cost
+/- unchanged migration
+/- unchanged control of their own environmental policies, fishing waters, agriculture etc
- they can no longer vote in the parliament on decisions that could potentially affect them

True but most people who voted Brexit just don't want to know or are jobless benefits claimants who it won't effect much either way as the state will continue to pick up their bill. Brexit is pretty much all about racism and nationalism. People here think that Britain will just turn the clock back 100 years and become a superpower again after Brexit.

Drow Game profile

Dec 17th 2019, 6:17:18

+/- unchanged net cost
+/- unchanged migration

True but most people who voted Brexit just don't want to know or are jobless benefits claimants who it won't effect much either way as the state will continue to pick up their bill. Brexit is pretty much all about racism and nationalism. People here think that Britain will just turn the clock back 100 years and become a superpower again after Brexit.

Not just racism but xenophobia in general. There is much about "dem foreigners" constantly

Retired Earth type.

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Dec 17th 2019, 11:32:37

No one, literally no one in England cares about the Northern Irish border. It's only an issue for people who live there. So long as whatever happens there works it's ok. Scotland is a different matter, they will push hard for independence now. Could be the start of the break up of the Union. No idea if that's a good or bad thing.

On the British food thing, yeah our traditional food is not that apetetising stuff like shepherd's pie, roast beef dinners, stew and dumplings, Cornish pasties etc.

Shepherd's Pie is my Fav
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Dec 17th 2019, 11:33:47

Well unless they make a really clever solution there it will be another decade or two of guerilla war and terrorism there. You might not like ISIS or al-queda terrorists and perhaps brexit will reduce the frequency of those attacks but you have something very close to you that can cause the same kind of bloodshed and destruction unless its dealt with with very intelligently. And Boris Johnson doesn't strike me as someone who will take the time to take in all aspects of a situation before making a decision. He will rush brexit, just as he has promised, lol.

Not my pig, not my farm lol

Drow Game profile

Dec 17th 2019, 11:48:38

Originally posted by Red X:

Im guessing you didn't grow up in the IRA's heyday, when bombs were almost a daily occurrency, and not just in Ireland.

Retired Earth type.

sinistril Game profile

Dec 17th 2019, 11:52:27

Everyone that voted conservative is racist because there couldn't be legitimate reasons why a country would want to have democratic control of the rules and regulations within its border. Everyone that voted labor is an anti-semite because certain members of that party have openly supported anti-semitism even if it isn't official party policy. There will be economic disaster stemming from Brexit despite the fact that all the firms in the country have already encapsulated the possibility into their long term plans. The irish are terrorists and the scottish will soon be.

Let's just all agree that the UK is the most racist place on earth and is soon going to be a third world country because it allows us to stay in our silos and not consider the possibility that things aren't actually that bad.

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Dec 17th 2019, 12:26:59

Originally posted by sinistril:
Everyone that voted conservative is racist because there couldn't be legitimate reasons why a country would want to have democratic control of the rules and regulations within its border. Everyone that voted labor is an anti-semite because certain members of that party have openly supported anti-semitism even if it isn't official party policy. There will be economic disaster stemming from Brexit despite the fact that all the firms in the country have already encapsulated the possibility into their long term plans. The irish are terrorists and the scottish will soon be.

Let's just all agree that the UK is the most racist place on earth and is soon going to be a third world country because it allows us to stay in our silos and not consider the possibility that things aren't actually that bad.

I am all for closed borders, guess I am racist as well.

braden Game profile

Dec 17th 2019, 14:00:55

I'm not against people coming to canada. I'm against them coming to the already over populated, under built toronto. There's a lot of land in canada, go to it.

I'm half racist?

Makinso Game profile

Dec 17th 2019, 20:57:56

People forget how easily this fluff is solved.

Red button

BOOM

Done

all the hard life will be instantly over.

On to the better days.

- Boris Johnson
Man of Wisdom.

farmer Game profile

Dec 18th 2019, 1:40:20

Originally posted by Drow:
Originally posted by Red X:

Im guessing you didn't grow up in the IRA's heyday, when bombs were almost a daily occurrency, and not just in Ireland.

farmer Game profile

Dec 18th 2019, 1:42:18

you really think leaving the union would cause this? I know they have border issues but i would hope they don't go blowing the fluff out of things again. I would think most of the old dogs would be dead or too old to set bombs.

farmer Game profile

Dec 18th 2019, 1:43:07

smh well just read it like it one post :/