Verified:

Drow Game profile

Dec 16th 2019, 2:15:05

Originally posted by enshula:
preferential/ranked choice/single transferable vote
basically forces you to choose who you dont want to be elected in a 3+ way contest

but you quite often get really low primary vote parties winning elections, maybe 35% is the lowest it got in australia

if you want to have proportional representation you need to have larger electrorates with more seats, the only one im familiar with in the lower chamber is hare-clark in tasmania and ACT, sounds like ireland and malta are the only 2 at national level who do it, maybe theres a lot more in the second/upper chamber

one way to do it is have 2 chambers, one where you pick the single most popular candidate by some method for a small geographical region, then the other where you take a much bigger region, potentially the whole country and let in minority views

uk is weird with the house of lords though and i dont understand it, about 800 eligible with 400 normally showing up, and not even room for all of them

i dont know a lot about mixed member and added member, but maybe countries just give out virtual seats to make things 'fairer' to parties that get a lot less seats than votes in the main house

i recall something about minimum percentages to get the bonus seats in eu elections too

We have double houses in Australia, and we have a lot of minor parties as well, which is why primary votes.for the main 3.5 (labor, libs, nats and greens, usually in that order) are so low. Especially in recent years, where we have had genuine independents pick up lower and upper house seats. The upper house works slightly differently to the lower house though. Where the lower house is 100% on preferences, the upper has the ability for preference deals to come into play, as there is both above and below the line voting. (Basically, above the line means you number the first 6 boxes per party lines, while below the line you preference every single candidate individually. What that means, is that the parties can choose where those above the line preferences go. We usually end up with either labor in power, or the luberal national coalition, and the greens get a few seats, whivh is why I counted them as a 0.5. Politics worldwide is pretty well a fluff mess at present though. No one with any real sense, legitimately thinking about fixing problems, and all about peraonal empowerment and enrichment, and paying off ones mates.

Paradigm President of failed speeling