Verified:

trumpoz Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 2:10:22

Originally posted by osloos:
Originally posted by Primeval:
If a player chose to screw with you either move on or make him regret it. Just talking about it is a little boring in my opinion.

I kinda like you

Ive never been a fan of FFA but that post by Prim could make me.

The_Hawk

Nov 19th 2019, 2:11:39

Originally posted by trumpoz:
Originally posted by osloos:
If a player chose to screw with you either move on or make him regret it. Just talking about it is a little boring in my opinion.

I kinda like you

Ive never been a fan of FFA but that post by Prim could make me.

You would have fun. Trust me.

https://ibb.co/BTF4KkJ
Dev encouraging it

Original Skywise L Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 2:17:13

Karma would be my getting a full set to Net, and not getting called out for something that happened over a year ago that wasn't what you and others believe it to be. There are competing views.
And again, Spooge was an Alliance, and the most fun to be had here. You should try it. Just don't plan on hanging around or admitting it.
Skywise

tfm0m0 Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 3:10:01

Maybe req will come back when they start a bot bukkake server

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 5:23:32

Excuse me i think you mean botkake.

And I'll somewhat agree with that statement, sky, but it would make a more compelling argument if one of you wasnt still ruining people's sets. The connection isn't being drawn because of how badass it was. It's totally being drawn because trumpoz never stopped suiciding.

For the most part, you guys have been accepted by the whole community a second time after the first. I even warred with ugo a couple sets ago. Hes honestly a stand up dude. I like you a lot too and i think you know that. Same with chevs too. We homies too. It's just also easy to fill in the connection here. And it's a little odd to me that its even remotely a far out concept.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Nov 19th 2019, 5:30:12
See Original Post

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 6:28:49

Originally posted by DerrickICN:
but if you wanna give credit where its due

You know we made it pretty obvious from the start? But sure - You’re the best! Good job! 10/10 for effort. ;)

The game gives people anonymity, lack of accountability. The policies and gameplay style that you have all come to over the years give the opportunity.

So I cannot take you seriously when you try to blame everyone else for driving people away. Look at yourselves. Running in the same tired circles.

In plato’s republic one of the discussions is around the ring of gyges, a rung that makes its bearer invisible, and the consequences were someone to have such a ring. I’m not going to summarise because it’s worth reading the original text for nuance.

The topic is covered again in HG Wells’ “The Invisible Man”. Morality of those with no accountability.

One of the most straightforward fixes you could make is to remove anonymity from this game. Open all profiles, have people’s country numbers right there in the side on the forums.

If some Greek dude 3000 years ago solved this problem already, I don’t see why we are still making the same mistakes.

Edited By: UgolinoII on Nov 19th 2019, 6:33:15
See Original Post

trumpoz Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 7:39:29

[quote poster=DerrickICN; 48067; 922165 It's totally being drawn because trumpoz never stopped suiciding. [/quote]

Never stopped....... Ive played 3 sets since the Spooge set. I was killed the set after by SoL when they killed all human untags and 1 man tags. Last reset as a fluff around and this set.

Again - you are giving me way too much credit.

Drow Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 8:00:21

Originally posted by Gerdler:
Originally posted by tfm0m0:
Gerdler I also am curious on your thoughts about Requiem's developer status. Should someone who has abused exploits (as you have called them) be in a position to create and abuse more of them?

If I was the game owner what #15, #136, #233, #400, #485, #514 did wouldn't have been possible, or it would have been a rules violation. So the players would either have not done what they did or they would have been deleted and reprimanded further(ban for repeat offenders).
I have stated such time and time again. This is the single biggest problem in the game, bar none.

Every successful online game I know has a significant portion of its budget aimed at fighting griefing. They all see it as a huge problem. I happen to agree with this approach partly, but not only, because it has been proven right by so many.

Blizzard doesn't.

The problem here lies in that in this world we live in here it is not breaking the rules, it is also possible to do, it is even easy to do, thereby pretty much incentiviced by the game owner.

Retired Earth type.

Drow Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 8:21:14

First, I'll say I really don't fully know what happened here. I don't often look at Alliance server news and I didn't in this instance.

Mod hat on:

I'm leaving this thread open only because there is a large (although controversial) topic that I think can continue to be discussed here. However...

I will not have game mods, admins, developers bashed, especially without any proof that you are willing to publicize. Even if you could/would prove that a game developer chose to "suicide" someone, I still don't care to see them critized because they are in such a position. If they aren't breaking the rules or similar, keep the two things separate. For instance, many players will call me fair and just, and probably just as many others will say I play like a fluff. You are entitled to that opinion and you are welcome to state that in public. What you are not welcome to do is bash mods/admins/devs for being in those roles for how they choose to moderate the game or intertwine those two roles. I am both a player (and clan leader) and a moderator (and mod boss) and I do my best to keep those separate - should you feel those two things contradict each other you are welcome to tell me your feelings in private and you are always more than welcome to go over my head straight to the admins. You all are welcome to do the same thing with the moderators that I kinda-sorta oversee. If you feel a mod/dev should play the game as a player a certain way due to their volunteer position in this game, thats your opinion. You are welcome to message me or other admins (or even that person directly) privately to express that opinion. It will not be aired here.

Also, I did not check if the person in question was Requiem. There is no rule broken here so there is no need for me to poke around and see if there is any truth to the accusation since there is no action for me to take. I am pretty sure Requiem does not have any live in-game priviledges of any kind, nor does he have access to any game moderator tools. The titles given to the recent devs is because they graciously chose to donate their time and knowledge to making coding changes to the game, which I applaud. I continue to disagree with a large chunk of the recent clan GDI discussion, but that does not take away from my appreciation for someone to step up and help the overwhelmed admins improve the game. Further, Requiem and I very likely have opposite views on a few key recent topics/proposed changes. In fact, I think his views and interpretation of a few things are flat out wrong and misguided. But none of those things take away from the fact that he has offered his time for free to help, and he has my respect for doing that...for whatever that might be worth to him.

Mod hat off:

Suiciders are fluff but it happens...same as fluff. Should that be what happened, then feel free to continue to comment on how much you think that player is a fluff. This person did not break any rules so I dont see how his position matters. I am sorry that someone got pwnd ingame, it sucks. I can't really comment why it happened or if the suicider was justified. Personally, I care very little about Alliance server politics because I think the majority of the unofficial policies here suck sweaty balls and I find the players generally whiny and self-entitled. But if you are going to accuse someone of suiciding and carry on for pages calling someone scum then you should at least sack up and prove it. If a player chose to screw with you either move on or make him regret it. Just talking about it is a little boring in my opinion.

This.
Well said.

Retired Earth type.

Drow Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 8:31:11

I'm anti suicider and have not suicided on anyone.
That said, I can see the mindset that might cause someone to do it.
I'm mainly too damn lazy to suicide.
To be fair, I'm fluff at netting, and I own that, and run a passable war country, but too lazy to war these days either.
And yet, I'm still a PDM member :P

Retired Earth type.

cyref Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 14:03:08

Originally posted by trumpoz:
Me - I'm an asshole.

+bonus for truth
👽

Chevs

Nov 19th 2019, 14:15:55

Originally posted by UgolinoII:
Originally posted by DerrickICN:
but if you wanna give credit where its due

So I cannot take you seriously when you try to blame everyone else for driving people away. Look at yourselves. Running in the same tired circles.

One of the most straightforward fixes you could make is to remove anonymity from this game. Open all profiles, have people’s country numbers right there in the side on the forums.

If some Greek dude 3000 years ago solved this problem already, I don’t see why we are still making the same mistakes.

holy fluff this guy fluffs

what a good idea.

most people that have a "bad" name aka me have their profile open already, I'm not trying to hide anything
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 14:21:20

should be able to see profiles of members in your tag maybe

and everyone perhaps should be able to see profiles of countries after the set ends

but real time profiles being open is maybe bad because it could lead to more targeted attacks, either in suiciding or war

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 19th 2019, 14:28:52

In solo servers there is the ability to be anonymous which helps greatly when netting. In clan-based servers for the longest time there was something called 'tag protection' which acted like an invisible deterrent and was based on a history of retaliation, war ability and diplomacy. That deterrent is no more, and its actually the opposite; its a bullseye. You are not anonymous because your tag shows you who you are and the aggressor still is anonymous til he slips up. So no retaliation is possible, and no war is possible and neither is diplomacy (unless you count rolling over as diplomacy).

Chevs

Nov 19th 2019, 14:30:50

i think he means after the set. no more private profiles. you can click on a country and see who it was
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 14:49:59

Yeah. I'm also a big advocate for open profiles too.

It's funny, we can disagree all we want and hey, topfeeds are being slightly changed to be a little bit topfeedish but trumpoz is fully capable of building a 100k country so it'd probably lack effects, or at least have no effect in this set.

The new rule kind of assumes all suiciders are bad players for it to have an effect. The DR formula is whack. Restart bonus is whack. 90% of us agree. We've been down that road enough.

When you look at something like this that has now made as many as 4 people rage quit. I think you should probably look at how to get rid of it.

In this case, at the very least, getting rid of the restart bonus would not only keep my war from lasting the entire rest of the set, it would have prevented this whole situation. It's just too obvious.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 15:01:50

Originally posted by Chevs:
i think he means after the set. no more private profiles. you can click on a country and see who it was

Nope, public accountability at all times, as terrifying as it seems :)

In solo servers there is the ability to be anonymous which helps greatly when netting. In clan-based servers for the longest time there was something called 'tag protection' which acted like an invisible deterrent and was based on a history of retaliation, war ability and diplomacy. That deterrent is no more, and its actually the opposite; its a bullseye. You are not anonymous because your tag shows you who you are and the aggressor still is anonymous til he slips up. So no retaliation is possible, and no war is possible and neither is diplomacy (unless you count rolling over as diplomacy).

Yeah it's a big step and yeah it's scary and yeah you can worry about 'targeted attacks'. But the old adage "if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" springs to mind. From what I see everyone in LaF is beyond reproach, so you'd have nothing to worry about ;)

Can't you see that it is exactly the lack of visibility that has created the state of play? There is nothing new under the sun. I gave you reference material above, about the consequences of anonymity. It's not just some kooky idea I baked up one night. Nor is it some nefarious plan to get you to reveal yourself so I can suicide you. I really don't care that much about any of you, its just a game, lest we all forget.

I don't agree at all with the conclusion that it prevents war and diplomacy. On the contrary it makes for proper PvP. Players perform actions, players face consequences based on those actions. Now running your mouth on AT could get you and/or your clan in trouble. It brings back tag protection.

I certainly think there would be an adjustment period whilst the children all squabbled over old grudges, but those children would start to learn pretty quick, because their behaviour is on display to the entire community and the community that is interested in building this game, will not tolerate those that are trying to wreck it.

Yes there are arguments to be made about people trying to circumvent it using throwaway accounts, and IP spoofing etc, but the meat of the issue is solved. Perfect is the enemy of good. Given that true greifers want minimum effort for maximum returns, then making them jump through hoops like this is only going to turn them off.

Moderators are left with the much easier task of dealing with those that are actively trying to circumvent rules using new accounts. The community at large can see who the new players are and keep an eye on them to proactively deal with threats.

Players continue to build their profiles/status/PC or whatever (lets in not forget this is an RPG!) and in fact now have more recognition than ever.

I can see why people won't like it, but I don't think you have any choice. The bandages need to come off for the wounds to heal.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 15:04:54

I should caveat that this is purely about alliance.

Solo servers should probably be private until end of set, or you get cross server spillover (although there is argument to be made for that too... as it works both ways)

Chevs

Nov 19th 2019, 15:15:44

tbh i like it
SOF Head Of Poop

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2019, 15:49:45

It's likely never going to happen. Countries owned by staff have been killed due to moderator enforcement actions on other servers. For example, I had a country killed on FFA because some folks were mad that their friends got deleted for cheating on the primary server.

Chevs

Nov 19th 2019, 16:16:47

oh slagpit theres an old name, welcome back
SOF Head Of Poop

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2019, 16:51:30

I nuked Requiem's access.

It's too bad but overall he really didn't contribute so it's not much of a blow to the project. Still fluffty, though.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 17:54:45

Well this is a long post... To set a few things straight my developer title is/was more of a symbolic thing than anything. Like Prime said it gives me no In game functions at all.

I volunteered to help with the UI, which I didn’t do much, but that’s all it is.

As for my in game play. I quit LaF 2 maybe 3 sets ago, I cannot remember and I have not logged into the LaF boxcar for that time either. I am not a current LaF member. I do respect the members and yes I still talked to many of them on irc or discord. It’s a good group of guys and gal to chat with. As I also like to hang out on the elders room as well for the same reasons. Active and generally fun people to chat with.

I’ve played this game forever. I quit EE a few years back for a couple of years. Sometime in 2017ish I came back met Gerdler, Gains, zelow etc and reconnected with old friends. I enjoyed it so I stuck around. In that time I’ve been sucided on pretty much every single set. I read AT, my mistake, and constantly see people applauding or low key supporting the people who kept hitting us, in LaF. I’ve always disliked that part of the game. I’ve tried to recruit back old old school players who were influential in Earth 2025 only to be told it’s not worth it. Ok fine. I decided, as savage pointed out on another thread, my only option to play the game how I would like is to tag somewhere else. I chose iMag because who would sucide iMag? Breeze was gracious enough to accept me. My first set there I got busy and wasn’t very active. This set I was active. Storing turns spending more time than I should planning hits and market plays etc. Spending hours of my time helping make a website for people to enjoy and increase their game experience, I didn’t do it all it was teamwork. Then I get sucided by Trumpoz restar, as he admitted to being the person on the forms. It was clear he targeted LaF with is first country or two. Then restarts to hit me in iMag.

It’s at this time I fully realize people will not allow me to play this game unless I play in a war tag, I don’t want to do that. I had reason to believe he is friendly w PS. I then saw Skywise post about how he could take a break to sucide again as well. At that time I had enough. Decided to get some payback. Nothing I could to to trump as he quit after his sucide on me or at least said he wouldn’t restart on the forums. So I targeted PS, who in my mind, are a at least a little supportive of him. That coupled with the fact he tarted exclusivity laf people + a former laf member in imag but didn’t hit the fattest country in the game, a PS member. Knowing I am not allowed to play this game due to people like him I decided to sale some of my stock and hit PS. Anyone want me that knows anything can see it was clearly a netting country not a country built to sucide.

Gerd, gains and LaF have zero to do with my decision. Matter of fact I know if I told Gerd my frustration and plans after I was hit he would have done everything he could to talked me out of it, that’s why I didn’t tell him.

I do regret making other people feel the way I have felt for the past two years or more but I did it and I don’t make excuses for it.

As for my future with this game I am done for a while. I cannot say forever because I do have a habit of checking in but I won’t be playing for quite some time.

I wish everyone in the game good luck.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 18:48:46

I still love you, bro, come back soon ;-)
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 19th 2019, 18:54:10

Thank you for mentioning me as a "gal". I would have been mad if you left me out or turned me a "guy".

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

breeze Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 19:29:08

Requiem you are always welcome in iMag.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 19:32:35

Can I join iMag? I would like to suicide trumpoz...
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 19th 2019, 19:37:06

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:

I will restart a country to take yours out :P

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 19:51:23

Originally posted by galleri:

I will restart a country to take yours out :P

You're not fun anymore, Requiem is taking a break and I was hoping to take his spot on your shoulders....
/me disappointed
(•_•)

breeze Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 20:02:29

Sure you can join, but no suiciding lol

tfm0m0 Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 20:07:45

Now that req has admitted to his hypocrisy all you that discredited my knowledge that it was him can apologize to me in the form of FA.

-------thread closed--------

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 20:14:33

Now that req has admitted to his hypocrisy all you that discredited my knowledge that it was him can apologize to me in the form of FA.

I never denied nor confirmed, so all you get from me is
,,!,, (-_-) ,,!,,
(•_•)

tfm0m0 Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 20:24:19

Please do not pass the thread closed line

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 20:36:29

Please do not pass the thread closed line

(•_•)

Marshal Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 20:59:41

Please do pass the thread opened line

-------thread reopened--------
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Drow Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 21:22:13

so, Req ia totally a bastard for driving 4 people away, but it was "funny" and "ok" when others were doing it set in set out? It was ok when they were driving people away from the game?

What req did was fluff, yep, but it's not anything that others havent consistently done, and still consistently do.

To the people rage quitting, is the difference that YOU were the targets this time?

Retired Earth type.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2019, 21:49:50

*shrugs*

I literally have code up for review that resolves some of the issues folks raised

It's like leaving a new years eve party at 11:55!!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 22:06:09

Originally posted by Drow:
so, Req ia totally a bastard for driving 4 people away, but it was "funny" and "ok" when others were doing it set in set out? It was ok when they were driving people away from the game?

What req did was fluff, yep, but it's not anything that others havent consistently done, and still consistently do.

To the people rage quitting, is the difference that YOU were the targets this time?

10/10

I'm making the same observation...
(•_•)

Mr Gainsboro Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 22:12:03

Originally posted by Pang:
*shrugs*

I literally have code up for review that resolves some of the issues folks raised

Better late than never i guess. Sucks we have asked for this for years and basically alliances have to quit the game before you do something about it.
Don of LaF

Boltar Game profile

Nov 19th 2019, 23:33:53

*shrugs*

Who gets to review it? Who gets to know what it's about and can or does have ur ear for input?

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 19th 2019, 23:51:19

Can somebody point me to a t10 suicider board?

It would really help me make sense of who’s a *real* suicider and who is “yeah but he’s a good guy”

Asking for a friend.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2019, 0:08:18

Originally posted by Boltar:
*shrugs*

Who gets to review it? Who gets to know what it's about and can or does have ur ear for input?

LaF duh
(•_•)

Boltar Game profile

Nov 20th 2019, 0:11:56

*shrugs*

LaF duh

Hey I didn't want to say it

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2019, 0:17:21

*shrugs*

LaF duh

Hey I didn't want to say it

I'm only saying what Chevs would...
(•_•)

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 20th 2019, 0:20:01

If you suicide you are a suicider. Its pretty simple.

Griefer, however, is someone who acts partly or solely to ruin the game experience of others. This is also kinda simple.

Suiciders can be griefers, but not always. Say if some LaFer 5-taps an untagged and that untagged suicides the guy who hit him he still suicided but it was clearly that LaFer who started it.

Griefers dont have to be suiciders, either. Look at Dibs.

What is not griefing is when the game forces a certain group to play a certain way in order to succeed and that makes people mad. Such as when Landtrading was a thing and people got upset at people doing that, or when people are hitting bots because that gives most NW and that makes people angry. Its when the grief you cause is the aim, either partly or wholly, of what you are doing, then you are a griefer. Almost all online games have them, and all successful ones fight griefing vigorously.

Requiem is the first suicider/in-game griefer who was ever punished for his actions in this game. Sadly I think he will be the last to get punished as well.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2019, 0:32:51

Ok this is good! I feel like we are right on the brink of a revelation here.

Lets say a clan decides they are going to attack another clan.

As a member of the attacked clan, I feel like you just ruined my game for no reason?

Greifing? Suiciding? War?

Does the specific attack type matter?

Edited By: UgolinoII on Nov 20th 2019, 0:34:58
See Original Post

tfm0m0 Game profile

Nov 20th 2019, 0:40:56

In addition to open profiles let's tag all the profiles with gerdler approved terms for each player

Griefer
Suicider
Netter
Nice guy that got upset

Am I missing any?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 20th 2019, 0:41:26

There are so many reasons to attack another clan that isn't griefing.

Drow Game profile

Nov 20th 2019, 0:42:57

If you suicide you are a suicider. Its pretty simple.

Griefer, however, is someone who acts partly or solely to ruin the game experience of others. This is also kinda simple.

Suiciders can be griefers, but not always. Say if some LaFer 5-taps an untagged and that untagged suicides the guy who hit him he still suicided but it was clearly that LaFer who started it.

Griefers dont have to be suiciders, either. Look at Dibs.

What is not griefing is when the game forces a certain group to play a certain way in order to succeed and that makes people mad. Such as when Landtrading was a thing and people got upset at people doing that, or when people are hitting bots because that gives most NW and that makes people angry. Its when the grief you cause is the aim, either partly or wholly, of what you are doing, then you are a griefer. Almost all online games have them, and all successful ones fight griefing vigorously.

Requiem is the first suicider/in-game griefer who was ever punished for his actions in this game. Sadly I think he will be the last to get punished as well.

Once again, not all successful ones. I will point you at EVE and WoW right off the top of my head.

Retired Earth type.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 20th 2019, 0:43:28

In addition to open profiles let's tag all the profiles with gerdler approved terms for each player

Griefer
Suicider
Netter
Nice guy that got upset

Am I missing any?

"Requiem is the first suicider/in-game griefer who was ever punished for his actions in this game. Sadly I think he will be the last to get punished as well."

You are really fluffing stupid SoFm0m0