Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 11th 2020, 18:12:29

Originally posted by Prime:
Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:

8 years of Obama/Biden gave us more taxes and penalty for not joining a government insurance plan, I lost my great insurance I had and was left paying more for less coverage, how great was that? Also more deportations of the people they supposedly want to help, the election is over and you no longer are important to us.

I'm just here to say this is completely accurate. I work in healthcare administration and I have a good understanding of the ACA and employer sponsored benefits. Our subscribers/employees had reduced benefits at a much higher cost. Many had to opt out and have no benefits and just pay cash for sick visits and prescriptions and just hope you dont need hospitalization or emergenct care from a serious accident or illness. This part specifically actually had little to do with the individual mandate. - Obviously that hit our population a little harder but these benefit costs were going to rise regardless of the mandate being in place. While taxes did increase slightly to cover all of these Marketplace plans, they pale to the increase in cost to actually provide these benefits, which results in lower take-home pay regardless of how you deduct it from the check. And sadly, these costs have nothing to do with your overall income of tax bracket. And in my opinion, even with what I just stated, that is not the reason why the ACA was/is an overall failure... but thats a different topic.
Agreed. And you're also right that's not even the beginning of why it is a failure. Unless it was a price-fixed industry. When the ACA first came out my first year was a wee bit cheaper for me because I was expensive to insure due to preexisting conditions, which was something they got right at the time for me. I want to say by year two but definitely by year three I had far worse insurance for far more money.

I'm slightly ignorant on this tho. What was the major driver in forcing the costs of these plans up so high? And with the ACA holding up in court, are there ways to amend it to decrease costs? Perhaps by medicare negotiating pharmaceutical prices? What do you see as a proper endgame?