Verified:

Makinso Game profile

Oct 14th 2014, 20:45:59

Just ran into it's next of kin, apparently someone bought that code from jolt and made a run through with it.

That game is HUGE with the same basic lay out. Where da F did we go wrong ... .. . .. .

Marshal Game profile

Oct 14th 2014, 20:54:52

Utopia

Utopia is a browser based massive multiplayer internet-based strategy game, originally created and run by Swirve.com. It was first officially brought online in 1998 and acquired by Jolt through the 2008 sale of Swirve.com to Omac Industries.

In 2009 Jolt recoded the game in an effort to remedy gameplay issues that Jolt reported as being a result of hacker attacks. The new code was brought online as beta version of the game, the first since 1996. Jolt passed development and maintenance of the game to Frontsquare solutions in 2010.

joltomac closed its doors 2.5 years ago but utopia kingdoms continues as facepalm game (wiki says it has 8k montly players (average)).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

BlueCow

Oct 14th 2014, 23:48:43

we can't vote our kings away and destroy each other in big wars
Slag 12 - Chevs -15

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 0:21:56

Hmmm. I don't play Utopia and never have. But I wonder abouit the 8k players. How many actually active and how many multies?

In Earth's hayday it boasted thousands of players but there were really only a fraction of that number. Same with virtually every other on-line game. No-one has an interest in true numbers. Everyone has an interest in inflated numbers.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 15th 2014, 0:40:18

Its probably a handful of Russian kids playing multi like mars2025...
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Penguine Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 1:36:05

I played it about a year ago, and it's shrunk from 8k players. They can barely field 8 kingdoms per island over 25 islands. Maybe 4k players; probably fewer.

Edited:
Thinking about it, there are probably fewer than 1k players, since most kingdoms are only half strength. Also, most of them make me look like not an asshole by comparison. (quite an accomplishment)

Edited By: Penguine on Oct 15th 2014, 1:43:53. Reason: Afterthoughts
See Original Post

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 2:04:14

I refuse to believe that!!!

Penguins are cute. It is well known!!!

Alin Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 7:55:08

I don`t think we did wrong anywhere. While there are out there tons of games with graphics, you can`t really expect a text based game to grow.

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 13:11:38

bah humbug. Utopia reminds me of Facebook. they both suck the brains out of people.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

BUTTMAN Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 13:25:49

I like this game.

I'm in my early 30s and have a desk job, this is a perfect distraction! I can play one country in about 10 minutes, or multiple servers and it can eat up a lot of time, its all up to the player. Additionally, if there were graphics i wouldn't/couldn't play, this game is charming in its simplicity.. I don't see why it wouldn't appeal to others in my demo, if there were only a way to market it.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 16:04:06

Originally posted by BUTTMAN:
I like this game.

I'm in my early 30s and have a desk job, this is a perfect distraction! I can play one country in about 10 minutes, or multiple servers and it can eat up a lot of time, its all up to the player. Additionally, if there were graphics i wouldn't/couldn't play, this game is charming in its simplicity.. I don't see why it wouldn't appeal to others in my demo, if there were only a way to market it.

I am in the same demo, this is better than, say, Star Wars Force Commander at my desk.

elvesrus

Oct 15th 2014, 20:26:38

since when does utopia take 10 minutes a day, especially during startups?
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

BUTTMAN Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 20:30:57

I don't know, never played it. I was referring to this game.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Oct 15th 2014, 23:18:28

Utopia had a much larger user base when mehul bailed,due to him actually caring about them. We started at a massive disadvantage.

Hyacinthe Game profile

Oct 17th 2014, 1:06:41

That's silly, I just came from Utopia. They have roughly 4k players.

macmd Game profile

Oct 20th 2014, 3:58:10

Originally posted by BUTTMAN:
I like this game.

100% agree. Like everything else on the internet, though, everyone turns into an asshole and that's when we can't continue to have nice things.

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Oct 20th 2014, 10:39:52

I've been dabbling in Utopia again. It's def smaller than it used to be. It just seems to be half full of dedicated people playing it constantly, and half clueless people who give up after about 2 weeks.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 20th 2014, 14:47:43

Originally posted by MilitantOrgy:
I've been dabbling in Utopia again. It's def smaller than it used to be. It just seems to be half full of dedicated people playing it constantly, and half clueless people who give up after about 2 weeks.

you just described earth empires too.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....