Verified:

Trife Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 16:26:37

Mainly in terms of restart changes.

my questions/concerns are

1) the 70% rate is, like the rent, too damn high. i like the idea behind it, but it needs tweaking.

3) production based on max population or whatever- there's been many times where it's more beneficial to let a country die and restart rather than stonewall to live, only to be producing nada. kinda goes against wanting to get people to stonewall with the restart % thing

2) restarts are out of protection on turn 15, but cannot receive FA or place goods on markets until turn 100. i figure this was just a simple programming oversight.

regards,
sir trife of the anti-canadian empire

and yes, i know i went 1, 3, 2.
edit: wow, almost 3k posts. i have no life :...(

Jelly

Jan 29th 2014, 16:50:20

Things I've learned from this post

1) Trife can't count
2) Trife has no life
3) Game is still broken, probably until EVO gets suicided.

Symac

Jan 29th 2014, 16:56:51

Anyone play WoW in Vanilla or TBC up through the latest?
Do you remember how hard stuff originally was, and then things just got more and more easy and less and less fun.
You may have to think about it some because it happened relatively slowly over a course of many years.

This game is doing the exact same thing. Attempting to balance itself into destruction. We should just go back to restarts are from scratch.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 29th 2014, 16:58:02

TENTATIVELY (not final yet):

1) That's going to be changed. It's looking like 40% for all servers except FFA and 20% for FFA. The bonus %/hit on your country will be increased slightly.

2) forwarding that to qz. I think this was an oversight

3) Might not have time to get to this for this set.

Evo getting suicided will be an indication that the changes are good! (I"M JUST KIDDING!) :P Actually deliberately damaging a particular tag in an effort to get the rules changed is not a good idea and I would advise against that.

We are also looking at some additional changes for balance purposes/making suiciding harder without disadvantaging small tags.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Xelah Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 16:58:54

Stuff of varying importance to Xelah, but has no bearing on this discussion:

壱) I should probably try talking to the girl at the doughnut shop. Basic conversation seems to elude me every time.
弐つ) I wish they would hurry the fluff up and make another avengers movie or another pacific rim, that would be badass.
参) I don't actually speak or read any Japanese and the kanji from this post comes entirely from google translate.
--Xelah
Death Knights
-*-*- First to get banned from the new forums 04-05-2010 -*-*-

tellarion Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 17:00:27

上手だね

tellarion Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 17:03:29

Yeah, suiciding Evo, contrary to popular belief, does not result in changes. The wonderful thing is that many of the changes people have been clamoring for have been in the pipes well before implementation, and before any sort of ingame actions could possibly influence things.

Take further balancing of ghost acres and landtrading. I've heard a lot of talk about abusing trading to show how broken it still is. Qz has been thinking about further adjustments for months now, and we've talked about many ideas. The problem is it just takes time to fully flesh them out and actually implement them, especially when the server stops behaving and he has to fix the damn thing.

Jelly

Jan 29th 2014, 17:54:43

Originally posted by Symac:
Anyone play WoW in Vanilla or TBC up through the latest?
Do you remember how hard stuff originally was, and then things just got more and more easy and less and less fun.
You may have to think about it some because it happened relatively slowly over a course of many years.

This game is doing the exact same thing. Attempting to balance itself into destruction. We should just go back to restarts are from scratch.

Symac, yes. I was a Paladin who was forced to heal for raids because we can't do anything else, but we were mediocre at healing also, but I was tank healer on all bosses. Our guild was the first to do anything on our server, and, well....

I got Onyxia sword along with 3 other Paladins before any warrior on our server, on server first Onyxia kill.
I tanked Magmadar adds on server first kill.
I tanked Razorgore adds on server first kill.
Turned to my Shadow Priest due to Blizzard being idiots.
I really don't want to talk about AQ and Naxx pre BC anymore. That gave me nightmares... must need more cloth....

Went back to tanking early, shadow priest towards end.
Karazhan was a joke...
ZA was fun, bear mount was the only challenge.
Gruul was fun trying to see how big you can grow him
Mag, SC, TK, MH, BT, was all a blur...I hit this, I take a shot, oh boss is dead? ok.
Sunwell was fun, challenging, until they nerfed it..... sigh.

Naxx 25, able to tank the whole thing while watching a movie, made me stopped playing the game.
I ran heroic 5mans with no healer but a moonkin healing if needed...a few times we just ran past 5-6 groups just to have a challenge / aoe fest....

game got gay... sigh

Marshal Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 21:06:35

Originally posted by martian:

2) forwarding that to qz. I think this was an oversight

he knows about that already.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 30th 2014, 0:29:03

he needs to be reminded:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

bertz Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 2:04:19

Remind QZ not to do silly stuffs near the server. j/k

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 30th 2014, 2:04:25

Occasional reminders help :) haha

I should implement a better system for B&S that floats important bugs to the top automatically ... or something...
Finally did the signature thing.

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 2:23:44

Sticky notes..sticky the important bugs/suggestions in order of severity and or relevance
The Death Knights

XI

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 2:24:27

Then they are already at the top... thats it give me sticky post access :)
The Death Knights

XI

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 30th 2014, 6:22:34

1) That's going to be changed. It's looking like 40% for all servers except FFA and 20% for FFA. The bonus %/hit on your country will be increased slightly.

omg

40% is still crazy high, but obviously somewhere around 2.4x better than before, yet everyone should be aware that something being not as bad doesn't make it good

but what is with the % increasing as you take more hits

it should be decreasing, its counter-intuitive to provide more protection against dying the more warning you get against it, and the more turns wasted killing you and resources since attacker loses more

invert the formula

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 30th 2014, 6:24:45

Originally posted by enshula:

omg

40% is still crazy high, but obviously somewhere around 2.4x better than before, yet everyone should be aware that something being not as bad doesn't make it good

but what is with the % increasing as you take more hits

it should be decreasing, its counter-intuitive to provide more protection against dying the more warning you get against it, and the more turns wasted killing you and resources since attacker loses more

invert the formula

But then it would be a DISINCENTIVE to wall, rather than an INCENTIVE
Finally did the signature thing.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 30th 2014, 6:54:53

it would be an incentive to not die if you soak up a huge amount of hits once youve already been extremely effective

the biggest bonuses would go to:

1) spy kills with chem finishes and no sdi
2) chem kills with no sdi
3) those who didnt get an opportunity to wall

the rate should always be set such that walling will be better than not walling meaning you need to lose a significant portion

otherwise you get to the stage where walling becomes pointless

if an alliance wishes to expend attacks to decrease a targets protected amount then they have used up extra resources doing so

and the most protection would go to blindsided first strike targets, rather than well prepared instant online wallers

given the 40% number its going to be over 45% for a normally killed country, quite possibly at 50% which is the breakpoint for a 75% med tech country ignoring oil cost

right now with ps having 0% and on market having 100% that seems a bit weird too

particularly since suiciders can steal stock then hide it on market to have plenty of cash to insta suicide with a new country

and with the landtrading meta and high building destroyed returns suiciding next set should be only marginally weaker than this set

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 14:44:28

but...
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Trife Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 16:02:38

and i'm not 100% sure if this currently broken

but the 40% also needs to be applied to goods on the market

Forgotten

Jan 30th 2014, 17:27:13

To create an incentive to wall, early, late, often.

We should have a a scale something like this

http://graphsketch.com/...age_w=850&image_h=525

But a bit more peak, but the starting point is a bit lower, I suck at graphing, math is delicious.

Where civ kills will increase as more hits occur, but reaches a maximum point where it starts dipping because war has been going on for a while and people learn to hide.

But as that dips, the resources stolen should INCREASE due to lower resistance.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 30th 2014, 17:46:14

enshula: note that it's TOTAL hits before dying.
Why should someone who has no sdi and get chem killed restart with more than someone who has more sdi and gets chem killed all else being equal?

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RaTS FYA Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 19:09:01

Because the whole theory behind the 70% thing and this negative result fo rattacking faster, was to make it easier to stonewall and if you couldn't stonewall to restart, hence the countrys that are killed without being able to do anything about it should get more then the ones built for it.
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jan 30th 2014, 19:10:20

Change #5- Trife's boxers!
zing!

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Trife Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 19:23:10

Originally posted by galleri:
Change #5- Trife's boxerbriefs
zing!

FTFY

they're a great balance of freedom and support for my frank and beans

iScode Game profile

Jan 30th 2014, 19:32:37

Originally posted by Xelah:
Stuff of varying importance to Xelah, but has no bearing on this discussion:

壱) I should probably try talking to the girl at the doughnut shop. Basic conversation seems to elude me every time.
弐つ) I wish they would hurry the fluff up and make another avengers movie or another pacific rim, that would be badass.
参) I don't actually speak or read any Japanese and the kanji from this post comes entirely from google translate.

pacific rim sucked major monkey balls, such a gay gay movie.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Chadius Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 0:02:28

On this scale, where would you put Pacific Rim?

Eragon------------to------------------Xmen Last Stand
Bad-------------------------------------Sort of ok
Monkey balls

If you don't know what Eragon is, replace with any movie disaster of the last 15 years.
(i.e. After Earth, 47 Ronin, John Carter, Total Recall (new one), Daredevil)
And by disasters, I mean it either critically sucked or box office sucked. (or both)
LAF

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2014, 4:15:24

enshula: note that it's TOTAL hits before dying.
Why should someone who has no sdi and get chem killed restart with more than someone who has more sdi and gets chem killed all else being equal?

there were a few things people were talking about before changes started happening

overpowered walling
blindsided netters
overpowered firststrikes
x weeks gameplay wasted in 30 seconds

and another im not sure if people were considering but should:
reducing the barrier to entry to being a coherent warring force, in other words making it so small alliances can get something done with members unable to play all at the same time for fast kills rather than promoting an environment where it makes sense to run large coalition wars simply because small wars get silly

anyone who is pure netting is going to have a better finish if they run with lower sdi per acre, as well as defence on hand to reduce the cost of exchanging with them

rats summation is correct: "make it easier to stonewall and if you couldn't stonewall to restart, hence the countrys that are killed without being able to do anything about it should get more then the ones built for it"

more missiles and turns are used to kill the high sdi country, more chance to wall

about attacks counting for the whole reset, i really dont like that, it could be changed so that attacks since country was at full pop could be counted which would prevent the number of hits counted getting super high unless someone was walling on below max pop for ages and therefore had already walled a lot, that would also allow the % protected per hit to be balanced at a higher rate

Stryke Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 11:14:07

Pacific Rim was basically an American version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it was okay in my opinion.
SOTA (President/HFA) • Elders • Darkness
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. NightShade
Originally posted by kemo:
this dudes either a great troll or a seriously stupid fluff. the kind that takes the pepsi challenge and chooses jiff

Kid Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 11:23:13

improve dict!

XiQter MD Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 13:27:57

Change from defensepoints to DPA, similar to how SPAL works now please

Duna Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 14:23:38

I expect even more useless changes.

Trife Game profile

Jan 31st 2014, 18:01:09

Originally posted by Duna:
I expect even more useless changes.

you should just self-delete like you did last reset!

#boomroasted
#rekt
#shotsfired
#realtalk

spitz Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 2:44:35

#trifewinning

Trife Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 4:07:05

#hashtag

Syko_Killa Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 14:02:20

We need those damn bots so we all have something to farm and feel like kings and bad *** players ;)
Do as I say, not as I do.

Syko_Killa Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 14:03:33

General Earl Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 14:12:55

We are also looking at some additional changes for balance purposes/making suiciding harder without disadvantaging small tags.

There is nothing wrong with suiciding.. people should just run better defense. Walk around with your pants down- expect to be poked in the bum! :p This is a war game right?
General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

Syko_Killa Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 14:37:27

Originally posted by General Earl:

There is nothing wrong with suiciding.. people should just run better defense. Walk around with your pants down- expect to be poked in the bum! :p This is a war game right?

So basically what your saying is don't sag right? ;)

Riddler Game profile

Feb 1st 2014, 20:02:59

Originally posted by Chadius:

Monkey balls

If you don't know what Eragon is, replace with any movie disaster of the last 15 years.
And by disasters, I mean it either critically sucked or box office sucked. (or both)

with Eragon, they butchered an excellent book...

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 1st 2014, 22:50:38

Originally posted by Riddler:

Monkey balls

with Eragon, they butchered an excellent book...

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was an excellent boot, but I do agree that however you rate the book's quality, they definitely butchered it.

End of that series sucked. Paolini just couldn't end it well...
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Billyjoe of UCF Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 0:40:31

look in announcements its posted now.

iScode Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 2:13:04

Monkey balls

Lower than Eragon.

Pacific Rim was a horrible horrible mover, just poor all round, the whole thing was utter crap.

Anyone who thought it was 'ok' or better has poor taste in movies. I am glad I downloaded it for free from piratebay cause i would of wanted my money back if i paid to see it.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 13:04:35

I like the new rules! They are stupid. But I fingd them entertaining.
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

zygotic Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 18:18:56

I think when a country dies then it should start again with nothing. Yeah it sucks when your country dies but that life. Just restart and get on with it

Atryn Game profile

Feb 3rd 2014, 4:53:41

I think we should make all in-game formulas random so nobody can make any decisions with any degree of reliability.