Verified:

keepertd Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 5:57:04

Originally posted by Kalick:
Originally posted by BigRedDog:
Originally posted by Kalick:
I think we should wait and hear some concrete details about the PS4 before declaring them the winner of this generation in the console war. You guys are getting all wound up about a decision you won't be able to make for another 6 months at the earliest. Just let it all play out.

already officially stated they wont require DRM

Sony has made some very general statements, and offered little in the way of actual details. Their public statements have been made very carefully, and leave them with a lot of wiggle room.

While they may not have the exact same DRM system as Microsoft, I suspect they will have something.

"At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

braden Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 7:25:51

he was a fine at poster back in the day, jayr, he was great fun

+the muffin man

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2013, 16:30:01

Here is the deal if these companies (M$ and Sony) think they can get away with pushing DRM then they will do it.

We as consumers have to say: "you know what I will choose to put my money somewhere else because I don't like where you're going"

They will chase the money. It's simple as that. They are motivated to push DRM on the consumers because it means more money for them in the end. If the end consumer accepts it and pays for their systems it will end up being the norm.

I for one will not buy it if that is the case.

Atryn Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 17:09:40

Originally posted by Zahc:
As for mandatory kinect, its built into the xbox one so you can speak/motion command it.

Wait, so if it is built into the console box they just took away all flexibility on where you can place your console box???

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2013, 17:16:46

You can "disable it" as reported however some mandatory applications (they didnt say what) will automatically turn it on.

M$ spying on us! haha

CGiboney Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 17:17:11

Xbox one FTW

Unholy Monks

Trife Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 20:04:50

Originally posted by Requiem:
Here is the deal if these companies (M$ and Sony) think they can get away with pushing DRM then they will do it.

We as consumers have to say: "you know what I will choose to put my money somewhere else because I don't like where you're going"

They will chase the money. It's simple as that. They are motivated to push DRM on the consumers because it means more money for them in the end. If the end consumer accepts it and pays for their systems it will end up being the norm.

I for one will not buy it if that is the case.

it'll be just like american politics. sure, the public will fluff and moan to no end about whatever issues they dont like, but they'll go ahead and keep voting people into office.

gamers/citizens love to fluff about things nonstop but when it comes down to it, very few are willing to either act on it or vote with their money by not buying the console.

Trife Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 20:07:15

I also can't believe people are taking Sony's side on this. Atleast xbox comes out and says DRM always - sony tries to deflect the blame.. i'd wager the overwhelming majority of sony games worth playing (not the indy dev games that are terribad) will be DRM always as well.

myrddn Game profile

Jun 9th 2013, 20:08:59

:(

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2013, 20:56:59

Originally posted by Trife:

it'll be just like american politics. sure, the public will fluff and moan to no end about whatever issues they dont like, but they'll go ahead and keep voting people into office.

gamers/citizens love to fluff about things nonstop but when it comes down to it, very few are willing to either act on it or vote with their money by not buying the console.

That may be I guess. Not for this guy though.

KaiN Game profile

Jun 10th 2013, 22:29:17

I don't see what the big deal is with this DRM stuff on PC you can'y lend games to your friends if you have used the CD key or whatever and its the same with Steam
m0m0 > you

Junky Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 1:38:37

I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Link Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 1:49:27

time to build me my dream machine
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

rpottage Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 2:19:09

I also can't believe people are taking Sony's side on this. Atleast xbox comes out and says DRM always - sony tries to deflect the blame.. i'd wager the overwhelming majority of sony games worth playing (not the indy dev games that are terribad) will be DRM always as well.

Not necessarily. Sony's first party games should be without the always online DRM. The independents should as well. So there's some games right there. But the big trump card is Nintendo. I think what we might see is a lot of big games being without the always online-DRM so that they can put them on all three systems. Nintendo I don't believe has said they'll go always online DRM and I think it's highly unlikely that they will. Their base isn't the hardcore console gamers who will end up paying anyways, it's the families; and they're less likely to accept always online DRM because it costs money, it takes time, and many parents won't want their young children online. Nintendo is smart enough no to alienate their base like that; so I think there's a good chance that Nintendo's business model will end up being the unlikely savior for PS4 gamers.

rpottage Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 2:28:34

Originally posted by KaiN:
I don't see what the big deal is with this DRM stuff on PC you can'y lend games to your friends if you have used the CD key or whatever and its the same with Steam
It's totally different with PC gaming though. You can't really rent PC games either, there's no market for it and hasn't been. There has been for the consoles. There's also no real offline multiplayer for PC games; where as games like Halo are huge for that. In the past you could take your game to your friends house for a game night without having to lug your entire console over. In addition to that PC games are still more accessible than the console ones will be. It's not true that you can't lend or sell your games, you can. The key restricts multiple people from playing under the same key at the same time and it does that through the internet. Multiple people could play it offline. Part of the reason for that is so that you can play your game when you buy a new computer. Steam has a similar setup where you can play offline on multiple computers at once, and you can lend a friend your account if you wanted to so they could play online while you're not. The X-Box model doesn't even allow those. The games are tied to your gamer account. That's similar to Steam, but I can back up my steam games (and have) on an external hard-drive so if something happens to my account I still have access to my games and proof that I bought them. If your X-Box account gets hacked and banned though, then you're screwed. The always online DRM means even if they exist on your console, if you can't get on your account back in 24 hours with everything still there; then your stuff is blocked and you can't play it.

Plus steam mitigates it by giving you the workshop to help build a massive modding community, so you get way more than you paid for, and by constantly giving you steam sales so instead of paying $60 for a game that you have to be online everyday to play; you instead pay $15 for a game you can play offline at anytime and that has massive amounts of community involved modding supported by steam. It's leagues different.

rpottage Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 3:28:42

http://spong.com/...No-DRM-No-Required-Online

So the PS4 won't require you to log in everyday, won't have always online DRM, won't have restrictions on lending, trading, or selling; and won't require you to ever check in with an internet connection.

Oh, and the price has been announced as $399.99

So if Microsoft does get their acts together then it looks like Sony has won the console wars.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 4:21:07

The other thing is you KNOW GameStop is going to pimp the PS4 over the XBONE unless MS changes direction on used games.
Smarter than your average bear.

m0bzta Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 4:45:42

Yeah i am a Big Deal Around EarthEmpires
----------------------------
http://loc.ghqnet.com/
-Still doing what i do since 2000-mob bot
V12.╰(◣﹏◢)�

KaiN Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 5:16:55

http://www.mememaker.net/.../images/memes/1916529.jpg

also lol at the irony of the PS fanboys bashing M$ about the kinect when they have the same thing with the PS Move camera or whatever that thing is
m0m0 > you

tellarion Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 7:01:37

Atryn Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 11:52:19

That's a great video... and on the Playstation official channel. It's like a public "you dumbass" to MSFT from SONY.

Schilling Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 15:19:24

Originally posted by DeathRider:
Originally posted by Makolyte:
I've heard nothing but hatred from gamers about these changes. MS would be have to be suicidal to go forward with them really.

but microsoft is sucidal.. They are alienating their customer base with every move they make..

The new microsoft office will only allow for one computer.. If you sell your computer, or your computer dies and you have to buy a new computer, You have to buy a new office suite too, can't use your old..

Microsoft will only hurt themselves further when they treat their customers like thieves like this

Open Office solves all of this (from the MS Office side of things, anyway). I'm sure there are some people out there right now working on the cracks and hacks to reverse anything that Microsoft makes "law."

Trife Game profile

Jun 11th 2013, 16:14:07

sony sure is making my prediction look stupid