Verified:

Frodo Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 12:59:36

So with the olympics set to start today just curious what countries people are rooting for.

I am rooting for the USA, cause i live there, and the Netherlands because my ancestors are from there.

braden Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 13:04:57

canada because i live there and america because i enjoy winning

Alana Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 13:11:34

Same as Braden! I am so excited. My friends and I are going to watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies tomorrow! :)
Alana
LCN Peon

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jul 26th 2012, 13:17:00

USA cuz i live here, and Italy cuz my family is from there =p
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Twain Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 13:17:52

Of course as an American I root for the U.S.

In the others, I'll probably root for storylines or whatever country I feel most sympathetic towards that stands a chance in a particular event. For instance, Usain Bolt is just fun to watch, so if one of the Americans can't win (and they probably can't), I'll root for him.

I'm sure Great Britain and Canada will be countries I'll be more likely to root for if there's no American in contention for a medal as well.

trumper Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 14:45:21

Mongolia. Because Ghengis Khan is set to return one day.

Frodo Game profile

Jul 26th 2012, 17:15:43

Originally posted by Alana:
Same as Braden! I am so excited. My friends and I are going to watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies tomorrow! :)

oh yeah just realized today is Thursday... :/ well that sucks...

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 26th 2012, 18:12:49

Finland (and the Netherlands). And underdogs in general. I'm much more impressed when a Cambodian athlete for instance wins than when an American one wins just because of the level of infrastructure that was present for the American vs the Cambodian.

And I'll be laughing at the American media changing the medal table they display in their broadcasts from total medals to total golds, depending on whichever shows them in a better light (see Beijing 2008)
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 26th 2012, 18:15:10

I'll also be rooting for Britain to fail at organizing (knowing the country, this is likely) because of people like Boris Johnson and David Cameron who do not deserve a "victory" from this.

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jul 26th 2012, 18:43:24

Sweden!! Cause Odin and vikings will return one day!

Honestly I just like to watch, I am not going for anyone.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 26th 2012, 19:01:23

none.
Bread before circuses.

++martian
(being bitter)
:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 0:07:46

British media blowing the opening ceremony way out of proportion. It was just odd... wtf was the NHS part? Most of it was not that great, though musical numbers were pretty cool

iScode Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 0:33:11

go laos!!!!
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Klown Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 0:33:50

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
Finland (and the Netherlands). And underdogs in general. I'm much more impressed when a Cambodian athlete for instance wins than when an American one wins just because of the level of infrastructure that was present for the American vs the Cambodian.

And I'll be laughing at the American media changing the medal table they display in their broadcasts from total medals to total golds, depending on whichever shows them in a better light (see Beijing 2008)

You don't need to worry about that as America will win both.

locket Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 0:38:58

I do the same as Braden. Always root for Canadians but I pick most Americans 2nd since I like to actually cheer for winners more often :P In winter it is strictly Canada though.

I also like people like Usain Bolt or good stories though.

I am super pumped for this. Love the olympics. Loved how they had James Bond in the opening ceremonies.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 0:58:52

I'm just sick that the US is again sending the NBA to play for gold in the Olympics.

It was supposed to be for amateur athletes, not professionals.

Why don't we just send the Chicago Blackhawks to play in the Winter Olympics?
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 1:17:31

because they'd lose to team canada in hockey?

oh, and chitown might be short a few players.. jonathan toews, anybody?

the better suggestion would be to send a canada A and a canada B team, so all you others can fight over bronze.

define amateur? i'm an amateur ornithologist (i have seen birds before in my life, just try and call me a liar :P). if somebody gives me money to do it, or to fund my doing it, is it not no longer amateur?

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 1:18:23

because there are a total of 4 americans on the roster? and the coaches are canadian as well?

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 1:19:46

uh oh, PP might change his opinion when he realizes him and i are on the same page..

RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!exclamationmark

Bigwiggle Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 1:22:52

I'm just sick that the US is again sending the NBA to play for gold in the Olympics.

Professional hockey players play in the olymipics as well .. and the US doesn't always win basketball. It's becoming more international.

I root for the USA of course. And any interesting storylines from other countries
Wiggity

Pandora's Last Vikings | THE OMEGA

msn -

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 1:24:35

Originally posted by braden:
uh oh, PP might change his opinion when he realizes him and i are on the same page..

RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!exclamationmark
ehh you're not wrong all the time :P

edit: same with Pain and a few other RD members.

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 1:38:37

in both his and my defense, we might not *always* be wrong, but we often are ;)

smlandau84 Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 1:55:47

Braden is my Hero <3

sigma Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:08:47

Its not just the US that is sending professional NBA players to the olympics.

argentina 5, australia 2, brazil 6, china 3, france 7, GB 3, lithuania 4, nigeria 3, russia 4, spain 8, usa 12

Frodo Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:15:48

Well defining amateur and professional is difficult. Track athletes get paid, I think, by participating in different leagues. Also if none of our pro guys can go then no other countries can send their pro players either. But just say we didn't send any pro players and sent college guys, wouldn't that almost be worse because it would us saying that we are too good for the rest of the world so we will send out "B" team.

Also we as Americans are competitive and don't want to lose anything :D

Twain Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:42:38

Just because we used to be able to send amateurs and win the gold doesn't mean the Olympics are for amateur athletes. Sigma pointed it out well. Furthermore, you think the Russian team the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" team beat was a bunch of amateurs?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 3:04:44

Go soviet russia!

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 3:06:47

and starve them ukrains to death, can't forget that!

Frodo Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 3:11:13

In soviet russia the Olympics are watching you!

;)

locket Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 5:24:54

lol dont want to sound hateful but damn... you showed some serious hockey ignorance right there :P

Pro players play in many sports. Tennis, golf, hockey, basketball, and more. Also there are not really any true olympic amateur athletes in many sports anymore.

Magellan Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 6:05:59

I am so mad at Great Britain right now I could puke.

You English whateveryourcallyourselveswhenyoudon'tlikeeachother could have had the greatest opening ceremony of all time.

Imagine if you will.

The Who
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
The Sex Pistols
Pink Floyd
Queen

Imagine having all these bands....playing at the SAME TIME! Like a super band that could NEVER be rivaled.

The things that I think about when I drink is just crazy. Thats how I thought of this!

If this would have happened there would be world peace. Just saying.

En4cer85

Jul 28th 2012, 6:08:25

yeah there are... they are the guys that take 2 minutes to swim the 100m freestyle and such :P

They get participation awards :)

En4cer85

Jul 28th 2012, 6:08:54

BTW Aussie Aussie Aussie...

Mr.Silver

Jul 28th 2012, 6:53:26

normally I'm not a fan of womans basketball... but decided i'm cheering for Croatia.... go Antonija Mišura! :)

Spitzbart Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 7:32:03

O did they started already?

Meh couldn't care less... not watching let alone rootin'
Fear me not, but fear my hell.

locket Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 7:50:21

Then why are you commenting? That's what is wrong with the interweb. Plus the Olympics are awesome.

Spitzbart Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 8:46:56

the bonus mostly ..

Just wondering; what makes them so 'awesome'?
Fear me not, but fear my hell.

locket Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 8:58:23

Originally posted by Spitzbart:
the bonus mostly ..

Just wondering; what makes them so 'awesome'?

Competition? Amazing stories? Amazing athletes? Sports? What isn't to love? -_-

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 11:07:25

socially acceptable way of watching teenage girls on the uneven bars?

Junky Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 19:27:39

I'm cheering for all women in sports that are somewhat revealing in the uniform department.. but that just the man in me :-P
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

hawkeyee Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 21:16:22

Canada and Romania
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 6:45:47

Originally posted by braden:
socially acceptable way of watching teenage girls on the uneven bars?

Ding Ding Ding.

I was out at the bar the last night during the opening ceremony replay and all I could think as they introduced the teams...

"Oh i bet they have a GREAT women's volleyball team!"

Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Kumander Otbol

Jul 29th 2012, 7:01:14

Originally posted by cypress:
no reason to start slacking just because they are getting FA

fluff them....we'll steamroll them even with the FA they are getting

Sifos Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 9:00:21

Go Russia! Also, rooting for your home country is lame, their medals doesnt mean youre better than the couch potato from the other country. Go out and play, you lazy slob, kthnxbye.
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Frodo Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 15:11:00

Originally posted by Sifos:
Go Russia! Also, rooting for your home country is lame, their medals doesnt mean youre better than the couch potato from the other country. Go out and play, you lazy slob, kthnxbye.

wow... just cause i root for my country doesn't mean that I think i am better or am a lazy slob haha. It is about national pride, I want my country to win because I am part of that country. Also having a rooting interest makes the Games more interesting because you feel more connected and don't feel like an impartial observer, if I wanted to feel that way I would watch soccer :)

Hawk Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 17:47:56

I'll be rooting for the Jamaican Bobsled Team.

Klown Game profile

Aug 4th 2012, 5:21:46

ttt for Pontius Pilate. What is the American media saying?

locket Game profile

Aug 4th 2012, 5:33:38

Canadian media has been pretty happy so far overall. US media shouldnt be complaining thats for sure :P

PapaSmurf Game profile

Aug 4th 2012, 5:45:09

I root for USA. I love the Olympics, I can pretty much watch any of the sports. I think it's silly baseball isn't in the Olympics any more. I think the NBA has done a great job, making it a international sport. It'll only get better and become a more even playing field. I also like to root for countries that have never won a medal and for good stories. Or when it comes to games like Ping Pong, which China dominates. I like to root for anyone not from China.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Aug 4th 2012, 5:49:16

I also find it funny, when they are talking about a certain sport. Like let's say a track event. And they start off with this American who just graduated from West Virginia, etc etc. And then they talk about the next athlete from Cambodia and he was the Americans team mate at West Virginia. And then the guy from Jamaica and he went to Arizona State and now trains in California.