Verified:

Forgotten

Mar 17th 2012, 0:21:07

http://www.thestar.com/...or-lewd-behaviour-reports

Karma sure has an interesting sense of justice.

He was arrested for masturbating in public.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

JanPaul

Mar 17th 2012, 0:34:00

wow!

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 0:39:50

pffft. was probably just too drunk to grab it correctly for a proper piss. what's that rule about shaking it? shake it once and you're a dunce, shake it twice and i'll tell your wife.... dang, i'z getting senile....
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Twain Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 0:40:48

Not that I think Kony is in any way the biggest worldwide problem, but I wonder why you would actually say it's a scam and say that this is in any way karma.

Perhaps I just am not educated enough on the topic, but I'm not sure why karma would be going after a guy who's seemingly dedicated a lot of time towards exposing a really, really bad guy.

Forgotten

Mar 17th 2012, 0:50:54

@Dibs, the guy ran across the streets naked, and was arrested for 'vandalism' on cars. What can you do to vandalize and be naked?

@Twain, google their 'charity' Invisible Children.

50% of 2011 funds raised are kept in their bank accounts. 20% went to expenses, half of which was TRAVEL, and FILM expenses.

Only 30% went to Uganda, and a majority of it went to the militia and government military, which have also been under heavy criticism of rape, kill, and steal from small towns.

They lack external board members which really should disqualify them from being a 'charity', they lack external auditors. I went on a short google hunt, and I believe that the auditors they use share the same last name as one of the founders.

If it smells like a scam, it's a scam. They saw a potential for viral campaign, and they took it. Heck, look at their website, their expenses this year was 300,000+ for webdesign.

The perfect lies are the ones with truths in it.

And this is a scam with a charity front.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

jesst Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 2:04:25

What wanking in public? What the. .. Does he not realize any good done, even if it wS the worlds greatest act of kindness for humanity, just gets trumped by you flogging your log in public...

Fooglmog Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 2:23:58

50% of 2011 funds raised are kept in their bank accounts. 20% went to expenses, half of which was TRAVEL, and FILM expenses.

This is an organization whose primary mandate is to promote awareness about the LRA. They do this by travelling to various places, giving speeches and making films. Of course their travel and film expenses are significant. But since that's their mandate, publicly expressed to anyone who's interested, I don't see why this is an issue.

In the end, 80% of their expenses go towards their stated programs. That may not be the best rate in the world for a charity, but it's better than an awful lot of them.

As for the 50% being kept in their accounts. Their cash assets do appear (as of June 2011) to be about 50% of their total income from the year. However, the majority of that ($5m of the $6m remaining) was money which went from being restricted to unrestricted but was raised over a number of years prior to that.

The point is a red herring though. Invisble Children was, at this time, planning on launching their largest project ever... the Kony 2012 campaign. It's not really surprising that they needed to have strong liquid assets behind them to do this. Charities often raise money over a long period of time to be used at once in a single effort. It was in the charities account though, not sitting in the personal account of its founder.

Only 30% went to Uganda, and a majority of it went to the militia and government military, which have also been under heavy criticism of rape, kill, and steal from small towns.

Closer to 37% of it went to projects in Africa. Mostly in Uganda, but also in neighbouring countries where the LRA operates. None of it went to the Army though, nor even to the government in any direct way. Their biggest program is a scholarship program for kids affected by the conflict in Uganda.

They lack external board members which really should disqualify them from being a 'charity'

They have 4 independent board members. There's a couple agencies which rate charities who want them to have 5 before giving them the highest possible rating -- a rating Invisible Children had before they dropped down to 4 board members.

they lack external auditors. I went on a short google hunt, and I believe that the auditors they use share the same last name as one of the founders.

They have external auditors. Considine & Considine. I can't find a definitive list of their founders though... I also can't find anyone closely associated with the organization with the last name Considine. Could you point me in the right direction?

If it smells like a scam, it's a scam. They saw a potential for viral campaign, and they took it.

I'm sorry. I just don't see it. I think there's better causes out there. I think that some of what they're doing could be done more effectively. But it doesn't seem like a scam to me. At worst, the guys running it are making a decent living while also doing exactly what they say they're trying to do.

Do you think working for a charity means you don't get paid though? They still need employees and need competitive salaries to get good ones. That's how every large charity operates.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Forgotten

Mar 17th 2012, 3:17:09

Don't see it? Then blindly buy their products that they heavily suggest you to, to increase influence, spend $20 on TV shirts and rubber bands, maybe $0.50 will get to Africa.

The first 10 minutes of the video should already be a warning sign.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Twain Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 14:37:21

Originally posted by Forgotten:
Don't see it? Then blindly buy their products that they heavily suggest you to, to increase influence, spend $20 on TV shirts and rubber bands, maybe $0.50 will get to Africa.

The first 10 minutes of the video should already be a warning sign.

Now, how exactly is it that your criticism is just because you did some research and found out they've got a bunch of money in the bank right now, but when Fooglmog does some research and offers context for that research, he's the one who is acting "blindly?"

The video has problems. The purpose of their charity, in my opinion, has problems (awareness alone won't cause this guy to surrender himself to international authorities). However, your arguments are no stronger than Fooglmog's. Don't be so dismissive just because he disagrees with you.

Fooglmog Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 15:41:32

I don't support invisible children. at least not financially.

I've been aware of them as an organization for a long time though, and seen some of their work inside uganda. They do good work. My beliefs line up better with other some other organizations though, so that's where my support goes.

But There's a whole heap of spectrum between being an organization I choose not to donate to and being a scam.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Zanith Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 21:43:30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

looks like the CIA is putting there previous studies to good use

Forgotten

Mar 17th 2012, 21:45:17

Their mission to raise awareness basically allows them to travel all over the world, film things, live an expensive life style, while all of the expenses are paid by the donations.

Some of the expenses just doesn't add up, 300k for a website a year? Seriously?

Think about it, they have massive expenses to the T-shirts and other 'awareness' products, they expense their meals and hotels, yet they give themselves a 6 figure salary.

it's not a traditional scam where all the money is being taken advantage of, it's a mixture, where they use the truths of being a 'charity' to hide their agenda to give themselves a luxury life with lots of money.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Devestation Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 0:20:46

Good to know that I don't need to buy the invisible children pants to go with that shirt.

Oh wait, they never sold pants. Telling...

Fooglmog Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 3:58:25

Yes, they travel. It would be hard to coordinate projects in the United States and Uganda without doing this. It would also be hard to talk to people without doing this. It's not really an unusual thing for a charity.

Yes, their expenses are covered by the organization. It's a large enough charity that it makes sense for people to be working at it full time. Again, not unusual for a charity.

Yes, they film things. This is one of their main advocacy tools. Not exactly strange.

Yes, this is paid for by donations. That's how charities pay for their work.

As for living "an expensive lifestyle" while doing this travelling and filming -- I don't honestly know if it's true or not. I'd happily take a look at your source for the claim though.

I see where you're getting the $300k for the website, but to me it looks misinterpreted. The line in their financial statement is titled "web and design". See how it's not "website design", indicating that they have both design expenses and other web related expenses? Since they have no other line item it would fit into, I'd suspect that those other expenses are largely their online ad campaign. I don't know that for sure though -- might be worth finding out before castigating them for it though.

As for 6 figure salaries. If you take the total compensation paid in 2011, and divide it by the number of employees they list on their 990, the average salary is about $36k. It's almost certainly not even though, so I'll grant you that the top people may indeed earn six figures. Of course, if you take a look at the industry norms (http://www.charitynavigator.org/...n_Study_Revised_Final.pdf) it turns out that this is right in line with what similar organizations pay. Who knew? You actually have to pay well to get the best talent to run multi-million dollar organizations.

I know that when something becomes mainstream on the internet, some people will want to demonstrate their own intellectual superiority by lambasting the movement. Hell, there probably are some areas of their operation which ought to be tightened up and run better. But for the most part, the criticism aimed at Invisible Children is ill founded, and only perpetuated because those who choose to regurgitate it are themselves ignorant of how not-for-profit organizations operate.

Invisible Children is not a scam. Not unless every other charity of similar size is as well. If you don't think their goal is important, or their methods productive, then say that. That's at least constructive. But to label it as a scam is disingenuous at best. You ought to be better than that.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on Mar 18th 2012, 4:09:21
See Original Post

Fooglmog Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 3:58:51

Also, Devastation... hilarious :)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Meow

Mar 18th 2012, 4:52:21

all i do is pump my penis