Verified:

Fooglmog Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 3:58:25

Yes, they travel. It would be hard to coordinate projects in the United States and Uganda without doing this. It would also be hard to talk to people without doing this. It's not really an unusual thing for a charity.

Yes, their expenses are covered by the organization. It's a large enough charity that it makes sense for people to be working at it full time. Again, not unusual for a charity.

Yes, they film things. This is one of their main advocacy tools. Not exactly strange.

Yes, this is paid for by donations. That's how charities pay for their work.

As for living "an expensive lifestyle" while doing this travelling and filming -- I don't honestly know if it's true or not. I'd happily take a look at your source for the claim though.

I see where you're getting the $300k for the website, but to me it looks misinterpreted. The line in their financial statement is titled "web and design". See how it's not "website design", indicating that they have both design expenses and other web related expenses? Since they have no other line item it would fit into, I'd suspect that those other expenses are largely their online ad campaign. I don't know that for sure though -- might be worth finding out before castigating them for it though.

I'll grant you that the top people quite likely earn six figures though. Of course, if you take a look at the industry norms (http://www.charitynavigator.org/...n_Study_Revised_Final.pdf) it turns out that this is right in line with that. Who knew? You actually have to pay well to get the best talent to run multi-million dollar organizations.

I know that when something becomes mainstream on the internet, some people will want to demonstrate their own intellectual superiority by lambasting the movement. Hell, there probably are some areas of their operation which ought to be tightened up and run better. But for the most part, the criticism aimed at Invisible Children is ill founded, and only perpetuated because those who choose to regurgitate it are themselves ignorant of how not-for-profit organizations operate.

Invisible Children is not a scam. Not unless every other charity of similar size is as well. If you don't think their goal is important, or their methods productive, then say that. That's at least constructive. But to label it as a scam is disingenuous at best. You ought to be better than that.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on Mar 18th 2012, 4:09:21
Back To Thread
See Subsequent Edit