Verified:

Drinks Game profile

May 10th 2011, 7:39:08

Very basic and slightly simplified. For someone that has just stumbled across this game with no experience.
======================================

Here is how the game works.

The basic and most simple way to play the game. Is to build the land you have. Then spend some more turns exploring. Then build the land you have.

Building your land. YOU DONT WANT EVERY TYPE OF BUILDING.
Farmers- Build Farms
Cashers - Build Ent/Res 50:50
Techers- Build Research Labs
Indis- Build Industrial Complexes

Pick one and go for it.

But remember to build some Construction sites. Every 4 construction sites increases how much you build per turn. But 1 construction site takes 1 turn to build. So a good measure is to have around 80 construction sites after playing 100 turns. But you should stop at around 200-300 construction sites.

Now your buildings help produce something
Farmers- Produce Bushels
Cashers - Produce Cash
Techers- Produce Tech
Indis- Produce Military

Now what government should you play. Go to Manage to change this and to see the benefits of each
Farmers- Fascism or Republic or Demo
Cashers - Republic or Demo
Techers- Theo or Republic or Demo
Indis- Communism

Now you Sell what you produce on the public market to gain Cash (except for cashers)

Now you buy everything else you need.
Farmers- Buy military and tech
Cashers - Buy military and tech and bushels
Techers- Buy military and bushels
Indis- Buy tech and bushels
But you need cash on hand to play your turns. So dont buy too much!! Most play styles will actually have negative income per turn! Preferably cashers/techers/indies buy enough bushels to play your turns and after playing all your turns and selling what you have produced, then buy some military and some tech.

What Tech to buy:
Farmers- Mostly agri tech, with a tiny bit of bus/res
Cashers - 50:50 Bus/Res tech
Techers- Produces tech to sell it, doesnt need to buy
Indis- Industrial Tech and a bit of bus/res and mil tech

Spy Production:
Farmers- Want to have 5% of their land as industrial Complexes. And under Manage, set production to 100% spies
Cashers -Want to have 5% of their land as industrial Complexes. And under Manage, set production to 100% spies
Techers- Want to have 5% of their land as industrial Complexes. And under Manage, set production to 100% spies
Indis- Under manage you want to have industrial production set to 5% spies.

Once you understand the game you can then try attacking (Land Grabbing). But i wont cover that here.

-Written By Drinks

Edited By: Drinks on May 13th 2011, 7:40:43
See Original Post
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Rockman Game profile

May 10th 2011, 13:45:07

There's a few changes that I think need to be made:
Farmers can also be dictator, tyranny, or democracy
Cashers can also be dictator or democracy
Techers can also be tyranny or democracy

Fascist farmers should produce their own oil, everyone else should purchase their oil off the public market (you didn't address the topic of purchasing vs producing oil).

Industrialist needs military tech more than they need bus/res tech, both for buying troops and tanks off their private market and for decreasing the amount of cash they lose per turn.

And probably most importantly, make sure you specify that most countries will have negative income per turn - thats something some new players may not be aware of and may think that they are doing something wrong if their income per turn is negative.

Its simplified, but thats needed, you don't want a guide for new players to be too intimidating. This will be very helpful, thank you very much for creating this.

Drinks Game profile

May 10th 2011, 14:04:38

Agree on everything except for oil and govs

Ill add demo to the strats, but leaving out dict/tyr. They are new players and have no clue how to attack. No need for them to play those strats the second they walk into the game.

Also producing oil as fasc isnt essential, specially if your not attacking. So leaving it out still They can figure it out when they get more involved.

Ill add mil tech to industrial, was leaving it out due to simplicity (eg i have it for all my strats)

And i added the negative income suggestion. Hope its not too hidden among info

Edited By: Drinks on May 10th 2011, 14:07:37
See Original Post
<Drinks> going to bed

Drinks Game profile

May 13th 2011, 5:58:03

If the mods/admins like this. Can i get it stickied. If not then no problem.
<Drinks> going to bed

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2011, 7:29:03

Why not add it to the Wiki?

Drinks Game profile

May 13th 2011, 7:40:27

Do new players check the wiki?
<Drinks> going to bed

Marshal Game profile

May 13th 2011, 20:31:25

as much as they check boards.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

albob Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 5:41:59

great post.

--

AL

" You can never have too much cheese... unless your... "

albob Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 5:45:40

i haven't checked the wiki either, but i'm hoping in the guide it goes into more detail about what to do and how to spend out turns. how to know how much cash to learn on hand spending out turns etc.

--

AL

" You can never have too much cheese... unless your... "

Marshal Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 21:03:37

turn by turn is easy 1st 100 turns then it starts varying depending on what strat player plays.

best thing is to join some alliance on alliance-server like EVO (https://evolution2025.com)and get help while learning..

Edited By: Marshal on Mar 8th 2019, 14:52:51

Bobo

EE Patron

Sep 5th 2011, 17:39:58

If I want to play an all-x strat, is rep casher still the one strat to play?
Earther formerly known as Merlin

Marshal Game profile

Sep 5th 2011, 19:58:10

rep casher or farmer, any strat can be all-x but rep has exploration bonus so its good as all-x.

Mandy Game profile

Sep 16th 2011, 11:54:29

I agree w/Marshall.

jesst Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 10:09:43

So as a rep farmer, do you seriously build 95% farms and 5% INDI set 100% on spies? And then obviously maintain high CS to have high BPT?

Do you tech first before buying military? So explore, build farms to sell and buy tech max out agri, bus and res, then farm to buy military. Then when you max out explore, atk with military to get more land and repeat?

jesst Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 10:14:10

Also given the price of tech at the moment it almost seems right for start up to build 100% labs and tech out levels first. Then switch over and buy the top up?

kodai666 Game profile

Feb 21st 2012, 0:11:57

I must read this carefully, . . . XD

jesst Game profile

Feb 22nd 2012, 6:53:15

any update?

jesst Game profile

Feb 22nd 2012, 6:53:25

is that correct? best to tech first given the cost?

jabberwocky Game profile

Feb 22nd 2012, 9:02:59

You buy tech and military at the same time. How you split up your resources is based on what type of strategy you're playing. If you're all exploring, then you just need turrets, if you're attacking then jets and turrets. The important thing with military is to try and buy enough so no one can effectively land grab you, if people at your networth have 500k jets and you only have 200k turrets, you're going to get attacked multiple times a day, but if you have a million, then people will avoid you. So you have to constantly buy military as the set goes on. Keep in mind that attackers have to buy defense and offense, so theoretically you should be able to buy more defense than they have attacking units, at least at the start of the set when everyone is exploring. A good rule of thumb is to try and maintain a high NW/land ratio. Defensive allies are also very important if you are all exploring.

You're right about teching, a lot of people start by teching, then switch their buildings over to the main strat, especially as tech prices are high in the beginning and drop as the set progresses. Sometimes it can be more effective, but its a little harder to pull off because non-teching countries can generally grow faster than you at the start (especially commies), and in an individual server you might get attacked. This does make your country more efficient then others around you, so you can have less land and similar production, which makes you less of a target as well.

I think this thread should also contain links to eestats (http://www.eestats.com/) and earthgraphs (http://www.earthgraphs.com/). they really are useful resources to have and new players usually have no idea they exist.

Edited By: jabberwocky on Feb 22nd 2012, 9:06:59
See Original Post

jesst Game profile

Feb 23rd 2012, 6:45:07

thanks for the post. :)

iSigma Game profile

Mar 25th 2012, 14:27:27

BRAVO!
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog"

"iSigma"
<>
Netters Anonymous(NA) ===> Alliance Server
Legends At Earth (LaE) ==> Free For All

PeaceMaker

Mar 31st 2012, 6:55:01

Lol just joined and i think this is very helpful.
Humble & Subtle. Even in the worse of times...

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 31st 2012, 8:18:28

Originally posted by jabberwocky:
You buy tech and military at the same time. How you split up your resources is based on what type of strategy you're playing. If you're all exploring, then you just need turrets, if you're attacking then jets and turrets. The important thing with military is to try and buy enough so no one can effectively land grab you, if people at your networth have 500k jets and you only have 200k turrets, you're going to get attacked multiple times a day, but if you have a million, then people will avoid you. So you have to constantly buy military as the set goes on. Keep in mind that attackers have to buy defense and offense, so theoretically you should be able to buy more defense than they have attacking units, at least at the start of the set when everyone is exploring. A good rule of thumb is to try and maintain a high NW/land ratio. Defensive allies are also very important if you are all exploring.

You're right about teching, a lot of people start by teching, then switch their buildings over to the main strat, especially as tech prices are high in the beginning and drop as the set progresses. Sometimes it can be more effective, but its a little harder to pull off because non-teching countries can generally grow faster than you at the start (especially commies), and in an individual server you might get attacked. This does make your country more efficient then others around you, so you can have less land and similar production, which makes you less of a target as well.

I think this thread should also contain links to eestats (http://www.eestats.com/) and earthgraphs (http://www.earthgraphs.com/). they really are useful resources to have and new players usually have no idea they exist.

this is a very detailed and informative post for new players. should be stickied.

for a new player, i would generally recommend a tech phase. new players are not quite sure normally of how much tech to buy and what percentage of their $$ to split between tech and military.. therefore they normally buy too much of one and not enough of another and stall in growth in the 2-3M nw and 6-8k acre range. once you stall, its hard to recover because good players will pass you, and start to landgrab you, further stunting your growth. a good player will not stall, but will keep growing and/or learn to retal grabs to deter being hit furthermore.

if i see someone who retals all their hits, and 90+pct of them successfully, i will generally not landgrab them, regardless of how attractive it may seem to do so. remember, its not about land gained, as much as its about keeping it.

if you gain 500 acres then lose 400 on a retal. you netted 100. i could hit 5 smaller targets for 100A each but if i keep it, i will come out on top. that doesnt even count into effect extra military lost, $ wasted building land that was taken back from you.. etc.

if you do a tech start, you take out that variable. your tech levels should be sufficient prior to switching and you have plenty of time to gain land afterwards and grow.

Originally posted by blid:
The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

JJ23 Game profile

Mar 31st 2012, 8:19:15

remember, no one cares if your #1 on day 7, or day 15. its about how you finish.

The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

PeaceMaker

Apr 1st 2012, 0:11:11

Thanks for da info....
Humble & Subtle. Even in the worse of times...

lyncan Game profile

May 3rd 2012, 21:26:59

very good post is express a good server to try out strats for us new players or no because its a really fast server.

tduong Game profile

May 4th 2012, 0:40:08

yes
I haven't had a wrong opinion in years

Marshal Game profile

May 4th 2012, 17:55:13

express is good server in that way that new round starts soon so player can fix his/her errors more quickly on next set.

lyncan Game profile

May 4th 2012, 19:52:23

ok thank you

Marco Game profile

May 6th 2012, 7:03:02

I've been pointing new players away from doing phases. Its a more advanced strategy to do phasing.

All x, basic 4 strategies... Everything else they can start doing after the first set.

Should post turn per turn start ups, basic of course, and link them in the op post, sticky this thread. If done right I dont see why this thread couldn't just be added to the new payer tutorial. New game account have this thread link pop up every 5 turns for the first 50 or so. Make them look. New payers dont remain because they dont learn and dont have fun

Aanien Game profile

Jun 11th 2012, 5:30:57

Good post, good discussion.

ArsenalMD Game profile

Jun 18th 2012, 17:55:47

ttt

tvsewilson1 Game profile

Jun 22nd 2012, 3:03:59

go for it.

Tigress Game profile

Jun 22nd 2012, 5:36:47

Set tax rate at desired level:28%-36%
Set Spy production @ 100 %

Sell food and spies as needed to build
Buy turrets as needed

Build 10 farms --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 2
Build 80 CS --- 80 Turns --- Turn # 82

Explore ~40 acres --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 83
Build 50 farms --- 2 turns --- Turn # 85
Build 8 CS --- 8 Turns --- Turn # 93

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 95
Build 27 indies --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 96
Build 27 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 97

--- Depending on server stop and store turns (to stay in protected mode.)

Build 12 CS --- 12 Turns --- Turn # 109

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 111
Build 30 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 112
Build 30 indies --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 113
Build 20 CS --- 20 Turns --- Turn # 133

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 135
Build 35 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 136
Build 35 indies --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 137
Build 40 CS --- 40 Turns --- Turn # 177

Explore ~120 acres --- 3 Turns --- Turn # 180
Build 45 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 181
Build 45 indies --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 182

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 184
Build 20 CS --- 20 Turns --- Turn # 204

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 206
Build 50 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 207

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 209
Build 50 indies --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 210
Build 40 CS --- 40 Turns --- Turn # 250

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 252

Build 38 farms --- .5 Turn --- Turn # 253
Build 22 indies --- .5 Turn --- Turn # 253
Total 60 buildings (build together on same turn)

Build 40 CS --- 40 Turns --- Turn # 293

Explore ~80 acres --- 2 Turns --- Turn # 295
Build 70 farms --- 1 Turn --- Turn # 296
Build 20 CS --- 20 Turns --- Turn # 316

Explore ~1000 acres --- 25 Turns --- Turn # 341
Build 1050 farms --- 14 Turns --- Turn # 355

Explore ~1440 acres --- 36 Turns --- Turn # 391
Build 1425 Labs--- 19 Turns --- Turn # 410

Explore ~3250 acres --- 125 Turns --- Turn # 535
-- this is alliance server / other servers may need more turns to get to desired acreage (i.e. primary where you can only store 80 turns) --- approximate explore rate at this point is 26 acres per turn,

Build 3300 Labs--- 43 Turns --- Turn # 578

Teardown and rebuild 1350 farms as labs 18 Turns --- Turn # 596
Explore and teardown 9 indies to get 75 buildable acre for labs
--- 1 - 2 turns --- Turn # 597 - 600

When done you will have approximately 6630 Acres
6150 labs producing 2010 Tech points per turn(TPT)
200 indies producing just under 130 spies per turn (SPT)
280 Construction Sites with a Build per turn (BPT) of 75

--- this allows for a little over 100k points of tech per day.
--- sell as much tech as you can if possible 2-3 times per day.

--- This is where you can make good money during the early part of the reset. do this for about 10 - 12 days

then tear-down labs and rebuild to strat of choice. i.e. farmer, casher.

Edited By: Tigress on Jun 22nd 2012, 5:45:17
See Original Post
Happy Hunting

Tigress

Drinks Game profile

Sep 27th 2012, 15:28:01

I still stand by this should really be stickied. This much less to read and more condensed for new players than the wiki.
<Drinks> going to bed

Marshal Game profile

Sep 27th 2012, 19:14:38

talk to illegal alien.

Stryke Game profile

Jan 22nd 2013, 10:23:04

I am liking my Dict Farmers. :)
SOTA (President/HFA) • Elders • Darkness
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. NightShade
Originally posted by kemo:
this dudes either a great troll or a seriously stupid fluff. the kind that takes the pepsi challenge and chooses jiff

Rockman Game profile

Jan 22nd 2013, 14:29:19

Originally posted by Tigress:
Set tax rate at desired level:28%-36%
Set Spy production @ 100 %

Sell food and spies as needed to build
Buy turrets as needed

Just reading this far tells me that this is a horrible strategy.

The ideal tax rate is 35%. Not 28-36%. 35%.
Producing and then selling spies on your private market will not generate as much money as producing and then selling turrets on your private market.

This is very very simple math. How can people not get this?

blid

EE Patron

Jan 22nd 2013, 19:41:15

I think spies used to be more efficient than turrets back in the 90s.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Marshal Game profile

Jan 22nd 2013, 20:14:56

that's very possible. nowadays you need to have for example troops to be able to cd those.

MustangGT Game profile

Mar 4th 2013, 5:39:28

very helpful

ht86 Game profile

Mar 6th 2013, 15:45:07

thanks for this!

Marshal Game profile

Apr 24th 2018, 13:32:32

bots r bad.

clayton43nyy2 Game profile

Jul 9th 2018, 12:08:08

Thanks for posting this. This is the most helpful thread I have found.

Smitty Game profile

Mar 8th 2019, 3:44:43

thanks for the information i hope to use it to great effect

strakka Game profile

Mar 11th 2019, 14:42:20

Thanks for the guide.

alidorani Game profile

Apr 2nd 2019, 13:03:16

Thank you for the guide :-)

Vyper Game profile

May 27th 2019, 5:39:48

Vyper Game profile

May 27th 2019, 5:41:36

Want is the formula for how military bases lower purchase prices on the private market?

Marshal Game profile

May 27th 2019, 13:52:46

unless you go fully built (besides cs's) as milbases then it doesn't matter.