Verified:

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:02:33

I got to imagine this has been discussed before. What does everyone think about having a draft? It would only be by choice to participate.....obviously. Not sure if we would make new clans, or use existing ones. Maybe even make a new server for it....so it wouldn't disrupt current servers. (just what we all need, yet another country to play)

ZDH Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:09:30

It's not a draft if it's voluntary.

Sounds cool but I wouldn't play it...1 country is enough for me.
-BigZ

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:14:27

do you mean like a fantasy earth player draft, similar to those football ones.

you get like 30 players and there are two "captains" and each captain picks a player dpeneding on whether the goal is win a war or netgaining race against the other team?
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

Shamrock Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:31:32

IX had a draft one set, actually. The people who were drafted from FBI to EEVIL and vice versa were PISSED!

It was pretty fun, though. It was tough to get it all coordinated.

hanlong Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:59:03

that would sound kind of fun, and it would be hilarious if they forced two people who hated each other be on the same side ;P

maybe we should all do it one reset just to ease all the cross tensions since we would end up working with each other with people who we usually hate and we'd either realize why we hate them so much, or see that they aren't so bad after all ;P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

joe2 Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 18:59:08

an earth draft

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:00:08

Originally posted by CaptainTenacious:
do you mean like a fantasy earth player draft, similar to those football ones.

you get like 30 players and there are two "captains" and each captain picks a player dpeneding on whether the goal is win a war or netgaining race against the other team?

Correct. But the actually numbers would be based on interest. You could have 4 teams, or more.

Originally posted by Shamrock:
IX had a draft one set, actually. The people who were drafted from FBI to EEVIL and vice versa were PISSED!

That is why the more I'm thinking about it, the better it would be on a new server. I have a lot of ideas on how to make it work successfully. But it would require work from EE Overlords.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:03:21

Thank you joe2. If only you could follow me everywhere to correct me.

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:28:47

Question to admin, would it be possible to have a 1 set server to do this?
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:29:38

Some thoughts.

- You sign up to be in the draft pool. I'm thinking only linked account allowed to sign up. Each person can write a 'draft profile' about their strengths, post their game profiles, etc. Other players can give their opinions on your 'draft profile'. However, you get to choose to use it or not.

- Not sure how many teams to let in. I would say maybe 4.....depending on interests. And no limit on size. Meaning every player is drafted from the pool. However after the actual set starts. Players aren't allowed to join. Players aren't allowed to switch tags or drop tags. However, you can be traded. Trades are always pending. Until both alliance leaders approve, and both members approve. (trades are all done in-game)

- I had mentioned that players aren't allowed to join after the set starts. However they can sign up. And if a player chose to delete themselves. The leader can sign a player from the after set starts pool.

- Not sure how the leaders are chosen. Maybe public vote or random? As far as the actual draft. The only thing I can think of. Is making it on a Saturday, and each leader has a max of 15 minutes to make their pick. Maybe less time, depending on the pool of players.

- As far as alliance pages. I'd say make generic pages in boxcar or somewhere. And this allows players to do all the interaction and vote on name....etc.

- Each set the process would repeat. Each set would be 2 months. After set ends the leader can post on each members 'draft profile' They can give you rations on waring/netgain/etc. And the better rating, the better your draft status for next set should be.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 18th 2011, 19:47:44

This was brought up on team server as well, but the general issue is that a lot of people play to play with their current friends, and they're not interested in splitting it up to play with unknowns.

The bonus of doing it on team server is that you can have set 5 man teams, and the smaller teams require less organization. Larger would be fun too, but depends on interest.

It could be neat to have one Boxcar "alliance" for everyone in the draft, but then have member specific forums for each team. That way, everyone can still be together for discussing in the forums, but still have privacy. The other benefit would be that it could be set up once in boxcar and then only forum groups would need to be altered if there are continuing draft sets.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 18th 2011, 19:50:05

Ya, we would have far too many Eric Lindros' here to do a real draft and have the set go well.

Look it up, non-hockey fans. :p

Cool idea though :)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:57:09

Originally posted by Tertius:
This was brought up on team server as well, but the general issue is that a lot of people play to play with their current friends, and they're not interested in splitting it up to play with unknowns.

The bonus of doing it on team server is that you can have set 5 man teams, and the smaller teams require less organization. Larger would be fun too, but depends on interest.

It could be neat to have one Boxcar "alliance" for everyone in the draft, but then have member specific forums for each team. That way, everyone can still be together for discussing in the forums, but still have privacy. The other benefit would be that it could be set up once in boxcar and then only forum groups would need to be altered if there are continuing draft sets.

I understand were you are coming from. But you wouldn't be limited just to this server. Everyone is already playing with their friends. This would be a chance to meet new people and try a to change things up a bit. I thought about the team server, but it would be more fun with more people per alliance. A leader may be tempted to draft their friends, but if you really want to win, maybe now is your chance to try to find the best players.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 19:58:15

bah, I messed that up....I'm not going to edit every typo. Where's joe?

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 20:07:48

1) No trades
2) Auto draft
3) If team A gets stacked, team B will just AB lol
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

trep Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 20:13:24

There would need to be a better in-game communication method for this to happen

Chevs

Feb 18th 2011, 20:25:27

I don't want to be a negative nancy but like most things on this forum it sounds great in theory but as pang already pointed out its probably infeasible in practice for numerous reasons.
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 20:36:08

I had to look up Eric Lindros. For others who don't know it's similar to Eli Manning not wanting to play for San Diego. I could see people being upset where they end up. We could do the auto draft like Mr Charcoal meantion. That would be taking a bit of the fun away I think.

Chevs what are other reasons it wouldn't work, besides people getting pissy about where they end up?

Detmer Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 21:00:10

I feel like this idea would absolutely work and would be awesome...

as long as the admins wanted to set up a special one time server for it =P

Patience Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 21:20:30

Who says it has to be one time?
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 21:26:04

I thought it would be a fun way to really change the way a server works.

locket Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 21:50:25

it wouldnt work solely due to that and people deciding to work together despite being in other alliances...people not wanting to do leadership stuff etc

Makinso Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 21:51:26

I would be for this on a separate server.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 18th 2011, 22:12:29

I'd rather do a tournament style format with like 10 teams of like 10 players rather than 2 teams

the bad part is that if it was head to head, it would need to be like express, which means a lot of startups, which deters a lot of people :p

but then you could trade people and stuff
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 18th 2011, 22:17:15

oh and waivers

we should definitely have waivers :p

"I picked up locket off waivers today..."

but the problem to doing a league style server is that it's a direct competitor to the alliance server in the same way that Team is at this point.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

locket Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 23:04:27

Phew... I was worried you would pass on me and i'd have to go to the minors.... is that Utopia or Teq?

CGiboney Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 23:10:37

++++ SWEET idea!

Unholy Monks

dustfp Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 23:13:35

this sounds awesome, I'd definitely play this
if there are people who might dislike where they ended up, maybe they just shouldn't play :p
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

Thomas Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 1:13:46

I pissed off too many people to not be on the same team as someone that hates me. Would certainly be interesting :)

But how would you determine the captains?

Trippster Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 1:51:27

meh ... sounds like it could be interesting. Would have to see the final plan to be sure ... but I'd play the first set just to check it out.
Ignore the smiley.
I have 10 tabs open.
I may or may not be here.

Deerhunter Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 2:04:58

This is just another weak attempt to get me to join your clan. It will not work. I like it here at SOL and doubt i would play for a different clan. Please stop making these false propositions and just come out next time and say you want me in your clan. I still will not join, but it wold save everyone else from answering your question. That is all.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Junky Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 2:21:45

I'll be damned if Imag wins a war against themselves as SOL..
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Pain Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 3:05:44

some of us have no issues putting aside our differences to work together for a common goal.

id have no problem working with someone like thomas in a server like this, we certainly dont get along :)
Your mother is a nice woman

Junky Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 3:30:19

p.s. we'll give you Deerhunter for free... for good faith :-P
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Pain Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:11:18

just call me a liar now.
Your mother is a nice woman

Chevs

Feb 19th 2011, 4:11:42

id play, but not with that pooper sex loving fluff named thomas.

hehe jks thomas...serious question thuogh, why are you never in your loser channel anymore.
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:18:31

Originally posted by Shamrock:

This was fun!
but did you really have to pick the sheep ahead of me?
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Lord Slayer Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:18:45

I wouldn't get drafted:(

Rockman Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:51:21

Originally posted by Pang:
Ya, we would have far too many Eric Lindros' here to do a real draft and have the set go well.

Look it up, non-hockey fans. :p

Cool idea though :)

You mean guys who have had way too many concussions in their lives and now suffer from decreased mental ability? Yeah, we have those.

Or do you mean guys who will be jerks because they don't want to learn french? Yeah, we have those, too.

Or do you just mean guys who won't play for the team that drafts them? Yeah, we even have those.

mazooka Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:57:08

shoot free throws for captains.

id play. draft day would be hilarious!

mazooka Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 4:57:39

shoot free throws for captains.

id play. draft day would be hilarious!

Detmer Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 5:18:48

I feel like this would work best with 4-6 teams, unless it was done fantasy style with waivers and stuff... in which case more teams with fewer members would be better.

pocketchange

Feb 19th 2011, 5:55:07

I hope this happens. sounds fun.

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 5:58:28

I'm in, if it is set up good,

my suggestion:

2 teams
volunteers to be drafted,
teams war
no current clan leaders in a leadership roll
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Soviet Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 6:04:45

and iMag will hit both sides!
Imaginary Numbers
http://www.letskillstuff.org

CGiboney Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 6:47:37

Server will kill you!

Unholy Monks

Murf Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 9:35:34

sof did something like this set for inter divisional competitions

Imperial Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 9:44:38

Hmm I actually like this idea I'd be up for it to try it out!

Even if there were only 2-3 teams... that'd be like earth in the old days when there was like close to 200 people per tag... imagine all the divisions and activity going on.. sounds cool to me =)

ponderer Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 19:32:30

Originally posted by Pang:
I'd rather do a tournament style format with like 10 teams of like 10 players rather than 2 teams

the bad part is that if it was head to head, it would need to be like express, which means a lot of startups, which deters a lot of people :p

but then you could trade people and stuff

Give the start-ups more than 100 troops and 100 bushels
m0m0rific

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Feb 19th 2011, 19:36:05

- 6 teams
- Random pick -- this would be as you sign up. 1 2 3 4 5 6, then 3 1 4 2 6 5, then 2 6 3 4 5 1 etc etc so that the order is not predictable
- Starting bonus of more than 100/100