Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 27th 2021, 22:38:31

If you read the old thread then there isn't a lot new here. However, it does feel good to cross some things off the list!

1) NPCs should be able to retal, should buy less tech, and generally need to be improved. This is currently underway. The next phase is to improve the logging that the NPC code does to allow for better troubleshooting and testing.

2) For bonus turns, I figured out a simple hack to disable bonus turns so that will be live for a while. Express will use the changes described here once they are available: https://www.earthempires.com/...-acres-49864?t=1615481338

3) For public food issues, I've made the NPCs sell at higher prices when the market is empty. I didn't make the private market food changes (PM base to $32, replenishment to 0.25) due to NPC considerations. There are circumstances where NPCs buy food off the private market and the code doesn't check if there's available food there or not. I will look at changing PM food characteristics once the NPC code gets cleaned up.

4) I'd like to add defensive and intel allies back in a game as a way to grow the community spirit a bit and to encourage players to form positive relationships with other players. A server where most players don't interact other than farming NPCs feels a bit cold. This is still planned and hasn't happened yet because I think that NPC code didn't know if a server allowed for clans or not. Once this is added I should be able to get this change in.

5) NPCs should be visible ingame and in the ranks feed during a set, if only so that players don't waste time sending ingame messages to NPC characters. Also if we don't allow ingame alliances with bots then a player could figure out who all of the NPCs are that way. Some players already know how to identify all of the bot countries, so marking them removes that advantage.

6) Some of these changes will likely lower the maximum NW that's possible for players to attain. In some sense, this isn't fair from a leaderboards perspective. Some players will have a "best 3" number that will no longer be possible to achieve. I do think that leaderboards have their issues on a server like express where we've had over 500 rounds. It's simply impossible for some players to catch up. Adding a seasonal model for leaderboards could be a good change for express. Maybe something like each season consists of 12 weeks and the seasonal leaderboards reset every season. The leaderboard metrics would be "best 3 NW", wins, and top 10 finishes. A player could still do well even if they only play for one round a month. This would also provide a good way to crown a champion for each season which would be the player who is performing the best under the new rules, as opposed to a great finish they had years ago. I don't know how much players care about the leaderboards, but hopefully this would provide a bit of prestige and fun competition for players.

7) There should be more frequent changes to the game play rules to balance strategies and to keep things interesting. As much as possible, I would want game play rules to be synchronized with other servers to keep it easiest for players. I do think that express will always need its own subset of rules though, like buying oil on the private market for example.

Edited By: Slagpit on Mar 28th 2021, 0:34:53
See Original Post

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 27th 2021, 22:56:49

Everything here is good but I personally must say I look most forward to #6. Right now for me express feels way to hard to play because I can't achieve anything of note except if I try very hard AND get lucky with the market, so I don't try, I either just coast or I dont play at all. This would give me purpose to play frequently! I love it!

NitelL Game profile

Mar 28th 2021, 17:24:28

All great changes!

Dodas

Mar 31st 2021, 14:08:42

I wouldn't mind seeing express last a little longer. Another day or two would be cool...

Maybe the reset happens Monday at 1am every week? Next session begins Tuesday at 7pm?
Adds a couple days for everyone and would make the weekends fun.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 31st 2021, 16:11:43

Originally posted by Slagpit:
If you read the old thread then there isn't a lot new here. However, it does feel good to cross some things off the list!

1) NPCs should be able to retal, should buy less tech, and generally need to be improved. This is currently underway. The next phase is to improve the logging that the NPC code does to allow for better troubleshooting and testing.

2) For bonus turns, I figured out a simple hack to disable bonus turns so that will be live for a while. Express will use the changes described here once they are available: https://www.earthempires.com/...-acres-49864?t=1615481338

3) For public food issues, I've made the NPCs sell at higher prices when the market is empty. I didn't make the private market food changes (PM base to $32, replenishment to 0.25) due to NPC considerations. There are circumstances where NPCs buy food off the private market and the code doesn't check if there's available food there or not. I will look at changing PM food characteristics once the NPC code gets cleaned up.

4) I'd like to add defensive and intel allies back in a game as a way to grow the community spirit a bit and to encourage players to form positive relationships with other players. A server where most players don't interact other than farming NPCs feels a bit cold. This is still planned and hasn't happened yet because I think that NPC code didn't know if a server allowed for clans or not. Once this is added I should be able to get this change in.

5) NPCs should be visible ingame and in the ranks feed during a set, if only so that players don't waste time sending ingame messages to NPC characters. Also if we don't allow ingame alliances with bots then a player could figure out who all of the NPCs are that way. Some players already know how to identify all of the bot countries, so marking them removes that advantage.

6) Some of these changes will likely lower the maximum NW that's possible for players to attain. In some sense, this isn't fair from a leaderboards perspective. Some players will have a "best 3" number that will no longer be possible to achieve. I do think that leaderboards have their issues on a server like express where we've had over 500 rounds. It's simply impossible for some players to catch up. Adding a seasonal model for leaderboards could be a good change for express. Maybe something like each season consists of 12 weeks and the seasonal leaderboards reset every season. The leaderboard metrics would be "best 3 NW", wins, and top 10 finishes. A player could still do well even if they only play for one round a month. This would also provide a good way to crown a champion for each season which would be the player who is performing the best under the new rules, as opposed to a great finish they had years ago. I don't know how much players care about the leaderboards, but hopefully this would provide a bit of prestige and fun competition for players.

7) There should be more frequent changes to the game play rules to balance strategies and to keep things interesting. As much as possible, I would want game play rules to be synchronized with other servers to keep it easiest for players. I do think that express will always need its own subset of rules though, like buying oil on the private market for example.

Re: 6)

There should be a leader board for war stats and hits vs bots shouldn't count so that war mongers can't inflate their stats by hitting bots.

Thank you for making xpress fun again but don't leave Pew Pew aficionados out.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 31st 2021, 17:16:39

Omitting kills and other combat related metrics from the solo server leaderboards was a deliberate decision. War should generally be a last resort on the solo servers. I don't want to encourage players to kill other countries just so they can try to rise on the leaderboards.

There's certainly nothing wrong with fighting in a prearranged war with another player, but a leaderboard wouldn't be helpful there either.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 31st 2021, 17:43:45

Omitting kills and other combat related metrics from the solo server leaderboards was a deliberate decision. War should generally be a last resort on the solo servers. I don't want to encourage players to kill other countries just so they can try to rise on the leaderboards.

There's certainly nothing wrong with fighting in a prearranged war with another player, but a leaderboard wouldn't be helpful there either.

That's why GDI is important here for netters, if they don't want to engage in war they don't have to and by being in GDI it protects you from getting killed or hit by special attacks unless you break GDI, and now that we all start in GDI you have no excuses for the consequences of opting out, to me that's a contract you sign when you opt out.

"I _________ accept that by opting out of GDI I will no longer be protected and open to any types of attacks, I also accept that I can be killed at any time for no reason.

Sign by leaving GDI"

Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 31st 2021, 18:04:39

Express style GDI is not designed to prevent war between players. It's designed to shut down the random special attacks that plagued Express and to give players a starting point for country to country diplomacy. Countries in GDI can still be landkilled. GDI also doesn't prevent landfarming or other aggressive actions designed to provoke a war, such as RoRs.

A kills leaderboard will give experienced players an incentive to kill new players OOP.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 31st 2021, 18:08:19

Express style GDI is not designed to prevent war between players. It's designed to shut down the random special attacks that plagued Express and to give players a starting point for country to country diplomacy. Countries in GDI can still be landkilled. GDI also doesn't prevent landfarming or other aggressive actions designed to provoke a war, such as RoRs.

A kills leaderboard will give experienced players an incentive to kill new players OOP.

Good points.
(•_•)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 31st 2021, 18:32:33

Thank you. With that said, there's nothing wrong with aggressive play styles like the following:

* Running an all jetter and trying to get into a war with the first player who attacks you too many times
* Getting a lot of missiles to act as a deterrent and using them against the first player who attacks you too many times
* Running no military at all and trying to get into a war with the first player who attacks you too many times

The key point to me is that the conflict started over issues that occurred during the set. The target wasn't picked at random or it wasn't deliberately picked before the set even began.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 31st 2021, 18:54:01

Thank you. With that said, there's nothing wrong with aggressive play styles like the following:

* Running an all jetter and trying to get into a war with the first player who attacks you too many times
* Getting a lot of missiles to act as a deterrent and using them against the first player who attacks you too many times
* Running no military at all and trying to get into a war with the first player who attacks you too many times

The key point to me is that the conflict started over issues that occurred during the set. The target wasn't picked at random or it wasn't deliberately picked before the set even began.

So what I'm doing with Kahuna and BaDonkaDonks playing hide and seek is ok, right? I want to make sure I don't get purpled for this....
(•_•)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 31st 2021, 19:11:52

Arranged wars between players are great. Collateral damage caused by guessing your opponent's number wrong isn't great if it occurs over multiple sets.

Kahuna Game profile

Mar 31st 2021, 19:15:00

Porque Koh? Porque? The set should last a full 7 days start it off on a monday see what happens. 👍

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 31st 2021, 19:30:25

Arranged wars between players are great. Collateral damage caused by guessing your opponent's number wrong isn't great if it occurs over multiple sets.

Got it, yeah they suck at getting clues despite me stating I've got a bot name :P

Love ya Kahuna lol
(•_•)

Kahuna Game profile

Mar 31st 2021, 19:37:25

[quote poster=KoHeartsGPA; 49934; 973691]

I didnt hit him thought. I had plenty of missiles n cash ready to bust your ass wei.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 2nd 2021, 0:06:32

Can we eliminate earthquakes already? Jeebus, I just had 3 in 148 turns SMH
(•_•)

Tmac Game profile

Apr 2nd 2021, 0:22:30

I had 5 in a 30 turn span not long ago, haha. Luckily it was very early in the set and they averaged only 20-30 buildings each.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 2nd 2021, 0:50:04

The NPC countries get earthquakes too:

[2021-04-02 00:48:02] Earthquake destroyed 37 Buildings! Update Advisor

Do you feel better now?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 2nd 2021, 0:55:07

Mine were 40ish 50ish and last one 65, I win!
(•_•)

Kahuna Game profile

Apr 2nd 2021, 3:34:36

Too many earthquakes not enough production booms.