Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 16th 2020, 4:02:22

I haven't been keeping up. Are they still able to stay on your health insurance until they are 25 or 27 or whatever? That was one part of Obamacare that I liked because I just didn't have insurance in college and took a pretty big set back with my health problems for four years. Was glad to see that was less likely for future generations.

That is a pretty good safety net tho. Someone that age all you really need is access to transportation, health care and and a cell phone. You have the ability to get everything else you need. But it is a tough work force to enter. Tougher than ever I figure.

My girlfriend is 23 (dont judge) and she got her first job outside of the restaurant industry after getting her degree. She is now a research scientist at one of the most prestigious research schools in the country in Vanderbilt. She makes 15 an hour. To my eyes, that's about the very minimum I would need to survive, but also she has limited experience. It doesnt matter if you have a doctorate in physics that you spent 800k to get, you better be planning to work for less than 40k a year for 3 to 5 years. That's the way it is now. And you'll die with some of that debt.

Someone taking the edge off of what it takes to survive for this generation entering the work force is nice. It's a fact. I think it's almost a period in time where you could consider that a nice safety net, or the minimum it would take not to see them struggle. Without help, it doesnt matter if you're a genius who made all the grades. You are expected to pay for an education that amounts to 20 years of your entry level wages. GOOD LUCK! Kids these days will need help getting thru that.

My brother in his infinite wisdom was pushed both by guidance counselors and high school teachers all the way thru college profs get his Masters Degree in music education. I feel like they hosed him tho knowing hed get paid <50k with 300k+ in debt. fluff just isnt fair for this generation. Even when I graduated 10 years ago I was paying about 1/5 of what it costs to go to the same university now. fluff got way outta whack. I feel like the smartest kids are skipping secondary education these days. Wish I had someone smart enough to tell me that too, because I've never actually used that piece of paper I paid 80k for. It would cost 320k now tho, so I guess I'm glad I got it when I did, or else I would still be shelling out a third of my paycheck to that.

I believe inflation exists so naturally I understand why education gets more expensive as years go by. It's just bizarre to me that we've accepted wages rising 5 times slower and millionaires becoming billionaires instead of a stable economy that doesnt absolutely fluff on today's youth.

And then boomer dad goes "This generation doesnt wanna work," while their kid has 400k in debt entering the work force, and doesnt even see how a 40k job could ever even make a dent after their expenses, and they realize their life is over before it ever started haha.

My most "fluff this generation" moment came in February of this year, when I paid off the very last of my debt and began considering business investment which the pandemic railroaded soon after. Why I didn't make the worst timing business decision ever? Because I dont have any credit cards. And when I payed off the last of my debt, my credit score plummeted because I had 0 accts open. fluff fully dropped into the mid 600s because I had no debt or credit limits or mortgages or car notes or anything. Since I had no "lines of credit" after paying like 150k to go debt free, my credit score was ruined lol.

I've been building it back but i was so angry and annoyed about being alive in this time. Ugh.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Nov 16th 2020, 4:29:38
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit