Verified:

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 15th 2020, 20:43:15

Just got in the game Wednesday, threw a grand in there for fluffs & giggles, bought some day trading fluff to keep me entertained and few dividend stocks to build up my portfolio, anyone else?

I'm curious to know how many if any of you play around with money in the stock market for fun and maybe hit a home run along the way... 🙇
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance & FFA

Aug 16th 2020, 0:30:10

nope. you up?

means you gotta do more for taxes :P
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

The_Hawk

Aug 16th 2020, 0:43:23

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Just got in the game Wednesday, threw a grand in there for fluffs & giggles, bought some day trading fluff to keep me entertained and few dividend stocks to build up my portfolio, anyone else?

I'm curious to know how many if any of you play around with money in the stock market for fun and maybe hit a home run along the way... 🙇

I do but not as much as my brother. He has done well running options but it is high risk.

I stick to dividend stocks mainly. Oil and gas distribution and some pharma companies.

Edited By: The_Hawk on Aug 16th 2020, 0:46:37

https://ibb.co/BTF4KkJ
Dev encouraging it

The_Hawk

Aug 16th 2020, 0:43:56

Surprised you did not drop your invite code :)

Dev encouraging it

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 0:53:26

Originally posted by The_Hawk:
Surprised you did not drop your invite code :)

Here you go...

Your free stock is waiting for you! Join Robinhood and we'll both get a stock like Apple, Ford, or Facebook for free. Sign up with my link. https://join.robinhood.com/diegohm

Earn your free money...err....stock, you might get lucky and get a $100+ stock!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 0:58:47

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
nope. you up?

means you gotta do more for taxes :P

They make it really easy for taxes, you get a ready to file statement that you hand over to your tax person and all they have to do is punch in the numbers.

Originally posted by The_Hawk:

I do but not as much as my brother. He has done well running options but it is high risk.

I stick to dividend stocks mainly. Oil and gas distribution and some pharma companies.

I have the attention span of a gold fish, doing both so I don't get bored 😝
(•_•)

Chevs

Aug 16th 2020, 2:49:09

I use questrade and I’m heavily invested for 12 years or so.

The key is to keep saving and not be a greedy moron trying to get rich in 3 days. You won’t win with that approach in the long run. How do I know?

There’s thousands of people smarter than you and with better tools that don’t win.

SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 4:20:59

Originally posted by Chevs:

The key is to keep saving and not be a greedy moron trying to get rich in 3 days. You won’t win with that approach in the long run. How do I know?

There’s thousands of people smarter than you and with better tools that don’t win.

True, but you only need to get lucky one time, imagine buying Amazon back in the 90s @$46 .... A lot of luck LOL, yes the stock market is a long term conservative approach, if you have a 401k that's where your money is, only you aren't managing it, with Robinhood you manage where you want your money to be, not some person you don't even know.

"THE TAKE-AWAY: What is a 401(k)? It's a plan that lets you set aside money from your paycheck into a 401(k) account and invest it in the market. The idea is that the value of the stocks and bonds you invest in go up over the years you spend working, leaving you with a fluffy cushion of cash when you retire. Your employer, along with a 401(k) administrator, handles this for you."

I've been good with money since I was a kid, why would I want someone else playing with it? , I have my dividend allocated cash in one part of the stock market and my play money on another, I rather do that than play lottery tickets every week, I know people that spend hundreds a month in lottery tickets, I try and tell them how much more beneficial it would be if they bought dividend stocks and they look at me with deer in headlights look 🤷

I didn't start earlier because I wasn't sure about Robinhood but last week I was pointed in that direction, looked at it, researched it for couple days and decided to go in 👍
(•_•)

ninong Game profile

Aug 16th 2020, 4:38:14

i bought shopify for like $60 and sold at like $150 in less than a year. I'm a genius.
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 6:46:50

Watch for Kodak doing another leap to 50-60 from 4-5 bucks...
(•_•)

Bug Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 7:07:40

didnt they already jump?

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 7:49:32

I use ETrade.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 7:50:59

Stay away from Kodak ( KODK ) ...

Look @ NVIDA ( NVDA ) - Currently at $462.56

Chevs

Aug 16th 2020, 13:49:30

True, but you only need to get lucky one time, imagine buying Amazon back in the 90s @$46 .... A lot of luck LOL, yes the stock market is a long term conservative approach, if you have a 401k that's where your money is, only you aren't managing it, with Robinhood you manage where you want your money to be, not some person you don't even know.

"THE TAKE-AWAY: What is a 401(k)? It's a plan that lets you set aside money from your paycheck into a 401(k) account and invest it in the market. The idea is that the value of the stocks and bonds you invest in go up over the years you spend working, leaving you with a fluffy cushion of cash when you retire. Your employer, along with a 401(k) administrator, handles this for you."

I've been good with money since I was a kid, why would I want someone else playing with it? , I have my dividend allocated cash in one part of the stock market and my play money on another, I rather do that than play lottery tickets every week, I know people that spend hundreds a month in lottery tickets, I try and tell them how much more beneficial it would be if they bought dividend stocks and they look at me with deer in headlights look 🤷

I didn't start earlier because I wasn't sure about Robinhood but last week I was pointed in that direction, looked at it, researched it for couple days and decided to go in 👍

In Canada instead of 401k we have RRSP and TFSA , both of which are self directed (I pick my own stocks). Do you not have the ability to have a self directed 401k?
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2020, 20:39:21

In Canada instead of 401k we have RRSP and TFSA , both of which are self directed (I pick my own stocks). Do you not have the ability to have a self directed 401k?

I don't know, I was offered 401k and when I asked them if I have a say where the money is invested they said no, so I declined, same thing with my girlfriend, she's had 401k carry-over from different jobs and she doesn't get to choose where her money is invested, I haven't heard anyone else who has 401k and can manage it themselves, so I don't know the answer to that question, Chevs 🤷

Originally posted by Bug:
didnt they already jump?

Did and dropped since, its at $8 something at closing this past Friday.

Originally posted by Celphi:

Not too crazy about Kodak unless it gets below $5, then I'll buy some for fluffs and giggles, seems as blackchain is the new kool tech to monitor...
(•_•)

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 0:07:57

I’m going to start with CODX tomorrow., and probably end the day on NVDA.

Just depends on how they open tomorrow.

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance & FFA

Aug 17th 2020, 0:53:36

401k plan offerings depend who manages them. so you have different offerings where you can put your contributions. i have mine split 50/50 between 2 funds. All 401k plans, at least what ive had between my jobs, have a 2040,2050,2060, etc fund that slowly goes from stocks to bonds over time (high risk to low risk) to suit when you are supposed to retire.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 1:00:25

I’m going to start with CODX tomorrow., and probably end the day on NVDA.

Just depends on how they open tomorrow.

Hmm, I just looked up CODX interesting..., I have NVDA on my watch list, also start watching those mall landlords, seems Amazon is very interested in setting up shop in JC Penney and Sears as pick up hubs... something to watch closely.
(•_•)

Goofy Game profile

Aug 17th 2020, 3:25:45

Just what I need, something else to distract me and waste my time.

Shweezy Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 11:43:04

NVDA is LIFE, and AMD and ERIC! :p

BUY MY PUTS!
Catch me on ir c

The_Hawk

Aug 17th 2020, 11:48:45

Should see a drop this week with no clear outlook on the stimulus deal. But if it gets passed see more gains in AMZN

Dev encouraging it

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 13:32:31

Who hacked Chevs? This is good advice!

Had a SIPP for 10+ years (similar to a 401k) started out with just AAPL, but as they rose I took profits and diversified. Regular monthly contribution. Buy and hold for long term.

My biggest "loser" at moment is MO at -25% however I have continued to add to the position since I first bought in 2014. It yields 8% so im not really concerned, cigarettes are becoming increasingly unpopular, but nicotine is addictive as hell :)

My biggest winner is TSLA +492% since 2016, and it terrifies me because it seems so massive overvalued. I've trimmed it twice and probably will again when it splits at the end of the month.

AAPL still going strong at +346% since 2014 (but that was date I moved from a different provider, have been holding them since 2009!)

BRK.B, AMZN, XOM are also decent bets imho.

Like playing poker its about protecting your bankroll, not winning monster hands.

Market looks overvalued right now, but with all the helicopter money off the back of covid it wouldn't surprise me if it continues to make higher highs.

Chevs

Aug 17th 2020, 13:42:28

Originally posted by UgolinoII:

Who hacked Chevs? This is good advice!

Had a SIPP for 10+ years (similar to a 401k) started out with just AAPL, but as they rose I took profits and diversified. Regular monthly contribution. Buy and hold for long term.

My biggest "loser" at moment is MO at -25% however I have continued to add to the position since I first bought in 2014. It yields 8% so im not really concerned, cigarettes are becoming increasingly unpopular, but nicotine is addictive as hell :)

My biggest winner is TSLA +492% since 2016, and it terrifies me because it seems so massive overvalued. I've trimmed it twice and probably will again when it splits at the end of the month.

AAPL still going strong at +346% since 2014 (but that was date I moved from a different provider, have been holding them since 2009!)

BRK.B, AMZN, XOM are also decent bets imho.

Like playing poker its about protecting your bankroll, not winning monster hands.

Market looks overvalued right now, but with all the helicopter money off the back of covid it wouldn't surprise me if it continues to make higher highs.

I have a similar approach except i only buy on fundamentals. Anyone buying tesla is just plain gambling or lying to themselves, sales and revenues have been flat for like 8 years and they don't even make money. what a scam company and a scam stock. I'm happy for people who have hit it big with tesla however congrats.

if i felt like gambling id buy 1300 october puts but shorts have lost like 45 billion this year on tsla
SOF Head Of Poop

Chevs

Aug 17th 2020, 13:44:25

oh and ugo, adding to your holding when the yield is increasing is a winning strategy, kudos.

I owned altria for years, but not anymore cause i get raped on dividend withholding tax in canada and there are some high yield options here as well.
SOF Head Of Poop

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 14:04:57

yeah with stonks so pumped up right now any correction is going to be felt less in the big corps. TSLA is super hot potato. Would not buy, but can't bring myself to exit totally.

not sure I like that dividend tax! Fortunately all my dealings are done within the SIPP wrapper so no tax on profits (it will be taxed as income when I draw down on it in retirement)

Chevs

Aug 17th 2020, 14:12:06

Originally posted by UgolinoII:
yeah with stonks so pumped up right now any correction is going to be felt less in the big corps. TSLA is super hot potato. Would not buy, but can't bring myself to exit totally.

not sure I like that dividend tax! Fortunately all my dealings are done within the SIPP wrapper so no tax on profits (it will be taxed as income when I draw down on it in retirement)

im a bull for life but this recovery feels a tad bubbly to me tbh.

against my better judgement ive stopped DCA right now because unless i feel like buying the equivalent of WFC in canada, i just don't know how high this is gonna go before popping
SOF Head Of Poop

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2020, 14:19:49

I know what you mean - though having held through several dumps now (2008 was fun as it was my first!) it seems to me that it always ends up back where it was and usually higher!

I can see the value in accumulating dry powder though, always nice to scoop up bargains! :)

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 18th 2020, 11:57:09

Its worse than I thought!

https://www.gurufocus.com/shiller-PE.php

mazooka Game profile

Oct 14th 2020, 1:14:29

This thread meets all the criteria of a post for at, while a thread asking about old tags is moved to gt. Makes sense.