Verified:

Sov Game profile

Feb 24th 2020, 0:29:34

I believe Discord adoption accelerate if there were live news feeds direct to Discord and not just IRC relays.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 24th 2020, 0:57:58

Theres a limit to how fast you can post on discord. I don't know where anyone else is on this but the workaround we have thought of in LaF has several hurdles before we can implement afaik. I'll leave that to someone more capable.

Sov Game profile

Feb 24th 2020, 1:39:07

Yes, more insight from those who have experience with the technology would certainly be advantageous.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 24th 2020, 4:12:59

Edited By: Requiem on Feb 24th 2020, 4:51:41

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 24th 2020, 4:19:15

Discord's API is limited to 120 events per 60 seconds, or about 2 per second.

During attacks, newsbots will far exceed this volume.

The way to get around this is to put the messages going to the channel into a queue and send the request to Discord every 0.5s if the queue has > 0 messages.

I haven't had time to add that logic into either a game-related bot or the IRC <-> Discord bot that we're using.
If someone else codes it into the IRC <-> Discord bot I'll see about setting it up, though!

There's still the obvious downside of potentially not having hits make it to the channel for 0.5s, which might upset some people who want their information to be instant (like IRC is).
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 24th 2020, 4:23:52

Is there not a per second limit as well or did I make that up?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 24th 2020, 4:51:11

Hmm looks like I did. They must have changed it because I could have swore that the last time I looked into it that was the limit.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 24th 2020, 14:59:02

Yeah 1 event per 0.5 sec wont be enough for a KR no matter how you code it. But 120 events per minute will, for most KRs at least, if they can be bundled.

You'd be on the limit if anyone walls a great deal of fast hits or if 2 KRs occur at the same time.

Edited By: Gerdler on Feb 24th 2020, 15:06:50

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Feb 24th 2020, 15:53:39

Originally posted by Pang:

The way to get around this is to put the messages going to the channel into a queue and send the request to Discord every 0.5s if the queue has > 0 messages.

I haven't had time to add that logic into either a game-related bot or the IRC <-> Discord bot that we're using.
If someone else codes it into the IRC <-> Discord bot I'll see about setting it up, though!

There's still the obvious downside of potentially not having hits make it to the channel for 0.5s, which might upset some people who want their information to be instant (like IRC is).

Could you do 2-3 or as many as is viewed needed relay bots and have they alternate? It might be a PIA to code, but could this be a work around?
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Bug Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 24th 2020, 23:06:04

Ok also to add to that Red, yes multiple users would fix the issue, but at some points midwar during big multi server kill run times it would still be buffered.. IRC has no throttle limit when its self hosted which is why it is always best. i suppose it could be programmed to send 0.5s blocks of text but they wont be well formatted but atleast will have all of the information.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 24th 2020, 23:39:06

Originally posted by Sov:
Yes, more insight from those who have experience with the technology would certainly be advantageous.

Are you attempting to speedpost® ?
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Sov Game profile

Feb 28th 2020, 1:27:58

Originally posted by Pang:

We have a few people around who work on Discord so I think this could be achieved.

I don't think a fraction of a second will matter much in terms of news delivery.

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Originally posted by Sov:

Are you attempting to speedpost® ?

Secret... :p

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Mar 1st 2020, 17:29:33

Originally posted by Bug:
Ok also to add to that Red, yes multiple users would fix the issue, but at some points midwar during big multi server kill run times it would still be buffered.. IRC has no throttle limit when its self hosted which is why it is always best. i suppose it could be programmed to send 0.5s blocks of text but they wont be well formatted but atleast will have all of the information.

I mean the relay bot could potentially be set up to take 1 in 5 maybe and have idk a few different ones. There are work arounds however I'm not a coder lol. Irc would be best but discord would be nice if you just want to see what's going on in a limited way.
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com