Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2019, 15:28:36

Unintended consequences aside, i think the primary function of this will be to shield yourself from the community and not so much to shield yourself from a handful of suiciders. That's why sof is seemingly adamantly opposed. Tags in the past have won wars and achieved netting nets politically. They've also been b-sided without a good reason, but one could argue that's part of the game and not just griefing. Good politics, not being able isolate yourself and have a bonus sized restart, should be the driving factor in who wins or loses.

I think anyone should be able to see that. Something like killing the restart bonus would have far more of an effect than will this aspect for mitigating grief. Unless you consider like half the server as one big griefer because they wanted to hit laf. But to say this is protecting against suiciders is a little naive. It's protecting netting tags from having to coexist politically with war tags and their need for alliances in those tags. People like josey who have hid in the bots, get hit and respond will still be 100% effective suiciding.

I think it's fairly obvious that the negatives easily outweigh the positives. As enshula has said, laf wont even use it if you have to dec war, and they'd still expect to get suicided.

Since it's fairly obvious that this does not protect netters against suicider/griefer types, it's fairly clear that its just shielding the netting tags from having to be a community with war tags. That's legitimately the only function. And i think that's why you're seeing sof calling out laf for it. But as I've stated, the politics were always a major driver for the most active on this server.

I've heard 80% of the members of this game talk about the good old days. And 99% of the time (save maybe gerdler who talks about his favorite math moments) they talk about who screwed over who, who hit who, who beat who, who rage quit the warchat etc. MOST players fondest moments on this server were a result of the politics/people moreso than any ingame function. Alienating half of the server from the other half in a manner that does not seemingly protect against even basic fluff suiciders like josey, while completely destroying any sort of political motivations tags may have with each other, does not seem like a real solution to anything.

Like sin said. Unintended consequences are a fluff. Now i can just join clan gdi when i start losing a war and make it stop. Now when i suicide a single player over an lg, his tag cant help kill me. Now when i talk to people in netting tags, i won't have a real reason to. Now the politics are dead, and we're expecting basic math in a text game to attract teenagers? Really? The politics are (or maybe were) THE THING that could entice them. I feel like we couldn't be missing the mark harder in that regard.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Oct 29th 2019, 15:35:59
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit