Verified:

M59Gar Game profile

Sep 11th 2019, 5:22:22

As a player who has returned multiple times over the decades, the thing I always find most off-putting is the public market.

As a mid-level player who can rank in the top ten without too much trouble, but never in first place, I know that there are shenanigans going on in the public market I will never be able to understand. I simply don't have the information. The forums hint that there are all sorts of complicated math-model manipulations involving stocking and late-game tricks that take what was otherwise a fun play experience and turn it into demoralizing "What? How the heck did that guy just quadruple his networth in one day? WTF is going on? Seriously, what even is this?"

For that reason, I'd like to play a version of Earth Empires that does not have a public market. Feel free to come up with some other mechanism or modification to the private market - but I'd just like all players to be on an even footing.

Right now, what I believe happens - there's an element of randomness. The less people going your strategy, the better you do, since you can charge higher prices for your research if you're a techer, your military if you're indy, your bushels if you're a farmer etc - but there's no way to know that information. You simply have to get lucky. Or maybe waste 50 turns spying on every single person in the game? IDK. I honestly don't know. So I can do the exact same thing in two sets of EE and in one set I'm on top of the world, and in the other me and ten other jerks are stepping on each other's toes.

It's honestly the reason I keep losing interest. My actions are minor compared to the overwhelming effect of the public market.

sfbob Game profile

Sep 11th 2019, 10:02:25

The market is the essence of the game though really. If you don't like it maybe try one of the strats that require very little interaction with the market? There are some where it's possible to finish well without selling a single item on the public market.

The_Hawk

Sep 11th 2019, 11:49:56

It would be fun to see one new server like this.
Kinda intrigued. Would it come down to a land landfat rainbow winning though?

https://ibb.co/BTF4KkJ
Dev encouraging it

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Sep 12th 2019, 1:40:22

Originally posted by The_Hawk:
It would be fun to see one new server like this.
Kinda intrigued. Would it come down to a land landfat rainbow winning though?

Maybe a hybrid indy/farmer.

Pump out o and d, make enough food to run turns and sell on private market maybe. Tech would suck.

Nvm I hate this idea the game needs the market or use, hawk I think you are right it would be a rainbow.
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

M59Gar Game profile

Sep 12th 2019, 3:06:18

What strats finish well without selling a single item on the market? Casher?

sinistril Game profile

Sep 12th 2019, 3:28:18

FFO would be literally the only playable strategy. Everything else relies on the public market in some way. The randomness is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I find that usually the people that blame luck for their finishes are not playing optimally.

I'm a FFA netter primarily, so my actions generally have more impact on the market but it's what I know so I'll use it as an example. Why has the tech market crashed badly on FFA this set, and not last set? There were just as many or more techers last set. Is it luck? I hope my competition continues to think so.

Why are the markets behaving differently on alliance this set than last? Is it luck? I bet the top netters on alliance hope you think so.

If you want a server with a terrible public market that you can easily predict, try team server. If you want a more complex server with public markets you can still easily predict, try 1a or FFA.
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Mister Ed Game profile

Sep 19th 2019, 15:25:49

How about a server with no market period? No public or private market- either plan well, or fail!

Marshal Game profile

Sep 19th 2019, 19:22:55

hoooooooooooookay, mister ed wants total rainbow or techless rainbow and either case winner would be that who makes most jets to grab fluff out of those who make less jets.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 19th 2019, 19:28:35

youd have to run a tech start

maybe tech phases even in a longer server

sinistril Game profile

Sep 19th 2019, 20:29:26

Communists
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 19th 2019, 20:35:33

it just wouldn't work
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

sfbob Game profile

Sep 20th 2019, 14:12:52

Originally posted by M59Gar:
What strats finish well without selling a single item on the market? Casher?

Fascist Farmer

mac23 Game profile

Sep 20th 2019, 18:13:19

It's the way express was set up in mars2025, with 1 turn per minute. I never really found a way around not having to eventually run some sort of a hybrid/rainbow strat there, because your country had to be completely self sustaining for everything. There was no option to oil destock so EE would be a little different in that aspect. M59Gar, you will always have some form of stockpiling, regardless if there is a public market or not.

g0nz0 Game profile

Sep 23rd 2019, 20:13:25

Originally posted by mac23:
It's the way express was set up in mars2025, with 1 turn per minute. I never really found a way around not having to eventually run some sort of a hybrid/rainbow strat there, because your country had to be completely self sustaining for everything. There was no option to oil destock so EE would be a little different in that aspect. M59Gar, you will always have some form of stockpiling, regardless if there is a public market or not.

Be land fat. Tech start. Heavy spal. Theo or commie best chances. Theo farmer won most I think. The $2 bill cap and no public market made stocking irrelevant. You were a dragon guarding a horde.

There was a 33 day express. Averaged 2-3 hours of sleep. Admin went on vacation (prison), or forgot to restart set. Either way it was the worst experience of my life. I still think it was retal for sanctions.

Tigress Game profile

Sep 25th 2019, 13:48:50

A 30 day express reset would be insane, oh but the fun wars we would truly have on something like that, @ 2100-2200 Turns it would be the beginning of pure devastation 30 mil jets and oil to burn :)
Happy Hunting

Tigress

Mister Ed Game profile

Sep 29th 2019, 1:30:14

Originally posted by Marshal:
hoooooooooooookay, mister ed wants total rainbow or techless rainbow and either case winner would be that who makes most jets to grab fluff out of those who make less jets.

Wrong. There are ways to win besides that. But you have to have intelligence and a good understanding of the game - instead of the 2nd grade level you just displayed.

m0bzta Game profile

Sep 29th 2019, 16:19:11

Hawk how about Endrev server here.....
Yeah i am a Big Deal Around EarthEmpires
----------------------------
http://loc.ghqnet.com/
-Still doing what i do since 2000-mob bot
V12.╰(◣﹏◢)�

The_Hawk

Sep 29th 2019, 18:12:29

Originally posted by m0bzta:
Hawk how about Endrev server here.....