Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 14th 2019, 2:57:36

Looking at some redesign work and I'm curious what sort of information and visualizations folks would like to see on the main page when you log in to a country.

Thanks!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Brigg Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 3:33:46

I literally just sat and stared at the "Main Menu" Screen for the past 5-or-so minutes, trying to think of anything that could possibly be added to improve it.

I got nothing. I personally think that all the information provided on the existing main Menu page is sufficient.
Check out my Novel Before they ban it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WXJVKR

Invictus Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 3:40:08

Boobies!!

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jul 14th 2019, 4:31:40

Because I play on a few different servers if I have any defends or failed spy ops. I'd like that server highlighted something to that extent to check on it. In times of war it could help. If what I said made any sense ar all.
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 14th 2019, 5:20:51

Man. I'm with Brigg. I'd hardly change a thing.

If i can think of one thing i can do at a glance on ffa that i can't on other servers, it's my market.

Like maybe add the OM tech, OM food, OM oil columns from ffa custom screen. But even then if you add in all the OM military, it becomes a lot of info on one screen especially for login. Lots of "OM Troops: 0"

It's pretty much a perfect look of my country at a glance for anything i need to think of when i first login currently.

Makinso Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 8:25:34

Had an idea a while ago,

But it takes clan admin settings.
Allow tags to set an alarm status in EE(green yellow red?). Then show the alert status in the main menu.

Not sure how much work it would be

sinistril Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 8:27:18

Posted this in the other thread but it dawns on me that you might want to keep all the suggestions in one place....

Originally posted by sinistril:
I'm perfectly content with what we have now for the main page. For the control panel, it's very good, especially the customizable stuff. Although, I would like to see the ability to run turns from the control panel so people stop complaining about 16 countries being too much and play FFA. Ie. Should be able to cash, explore, build or tech from control panel for multiple countries at once.
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 14th 2019, 9:53:40

Originally posted by Brigg:
I literally just sat and stared at the "Main Menu" Screen for the past 5-or-so minutes, trying to think of anything that could possibly be added to improve it.

I got nothing. I personally think that all the information provided on the existing main Menu page is sufficient.

Yeah the main menu is perfect, everything else can use work lol :)

But yeah as makinso said alert status might be useful and as some people said in the other thread some kind of flag system maybe for important stuff that you need to read etc. But it's not priority.

Marshal Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 9:57:42

what red said would help during war but also ruin fs advantage.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 14th 2019, 10:47:28

Anything that makes the FS advantage more manageable is a good change. I don't think that would have a significant effect tho.

Marshal Game profile

Jul 14th 2019, 15:13:29

that depends how often alert appears.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 14th 2019, 18:11:01

You mean to tell me it would matter that the people who are online playing while they are getting killed would show up and wall?
First off most kill runs happen on people who are not online since the bots and spreadsheets that we have made calculates when people have been online or not during the reset.
Secondly, people who dont know what highlights are wont know what to do do in the 10-50 seconds they have to act when they get hit.
It will have a very marginal effect for current non-wallers, but could make a QoL improvement if designed well, which would be spectacular.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 14th 2019, 21:17:14

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far!

Just to touch on notifications for a moment since it's tangentially related to this work.

There's several game-driven indicators that will be able to be used for notifications/messaging stuff, here's an early concept that is still heavily in progress -> https://i.imgur.com/JLUlpIj.png

Couple of things to note:
- At the top of the app frame (the game runs in an app-frame now, making it a lot faster/smoother to play, especially on mobile!) there are icons for messages and alerts
- The game will auto-refresh it's messages and events every few seconds so the data shouldn't be very stale
- Important notifications for your country (market sales, defends, ally defends, etc... probably configurable) will be able to trigger desktop notifications (user opt in per-browser) so if you leave your tab open it should alert you.
- Events are filterable, working on that right now for the main page so this is a WIP :p

I generally agree with Gerdler that it's not much of a help for stonewalling given the current war abilities of players on servers with clans. Hopefully it's a nice quality of life thing though.

Anyway, it seems like folks generally like the information that is there right now, so I'll at least mock that up as phase one.

Once I get the main page finished I'll put together some videos/gifs/screen captures for feedback :)

Edited By: Pang on Jul 14th 2019, 21:27:41
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Jabroni1134 Game profile

Developer

Jul 14th 2019, 22:47:51

Would be really nice for a small "ticker" at the top where clan admins can post messages, such as minimum required military, chat times, current attack target, or anything else. Nothing too massive, just 50 characters or so.

s Game profile

Jul 15th 2019, 12:34:44

^

something like a message of the day would be nice.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 19th 2019, 3:47:03

Thanks again for all the feedback -- some of the items that require us to code new things aren't things I can action immediately, but I like them a lot!

Here is a quick video of what the main page looks like at the moment (heavy WIP). Need to work on the colours for the headers, too much blue.

https://i.imgur.com/q0aXX7j.gifv

I added an on-market widget based on feedback and all of the items in the main table have icons now. Icons will generally be pervasive throughout the whole experience -- some (like Oil) need some work ;)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

sinistril Game profile

Jul 19th 2019, 4:05:12

Looks good Pang
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 19th 2019, 13:45:51

Thanks!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Dark Demon Game profile

Forum Moderator
EE Patron

Jul 19th 2019, 16:35:37

looks good
Mercs
Natural Born Killers

Makinso Game profile

Jul 19th 2019, 23:51:54

Originally posted by Pang:
Thanks again for all the feedback -- some of the items that require us to code new things aren't things I can action immediately, but I like them a lot!

Here is a quick video of what the main page looks like at the moment (heavy WIP). Need to work on the colours for the headers, too much blue.

https://i.imgur.com/q0aXX7j.gifv

I added an on-market widget based on feedback and all of the items in the main table have icons now. Icons will generally be pervasive throughout the whole experience -- some (like Oil) need some work ;)

That looks pretty good Pang.
Might give this all an actual future! I went from skeptic to less skeptic! Show us more!