Verified:

sprockitz Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 0:53:43

How does GDI work, I thought you had to be within a factor of 2 to attack. I got hit by someone who was 4 million nw at the time and i was 1.2 million nw. War was not declared.

sprockitz Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 1:24:36

I think I found somewhere referenced in the forums GDI is 4x in primary. What is the value on all servers?

The wiki just states 2x without reference to any server....implying it is 2x for all servers...so that could probably use updating :-)

drkprinc Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 3:02:34

well that's stupid for someone to even hit that low into their nw the gains would be crap unless you had close to 0 defense making it worth it
(<(<>(<>.(<>..<>).<>)<>)>)

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
http://LaF.center - LaF
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

h2orich Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 3:17:34

*GDI*
You are protected by GDI in these servers
Alliance - 2x or 1/2x
Tournament (Automatic GDI) - 2x or 1/2x
All other servers - no protection

*Humanitarians*
You are protected by Humanitarians in these servers
Primary - 4x or 1/4x
Express - 12x or 1/12x
Team - 12x or 1/12x
Alliance - 12x or 1/12x (if you're not in GDI)
Tournament - 2x or 1/2x

blid

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2015, 3:21:46

Originally posted by h2orich:
*GDI*
All other servers - no protection
Well... protection from special attacks unless GDI is broken by you.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

sprockitz Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 3:24:51

So GDI in the other servers only protects against harmful ops? Or does it literally do nothing?

They got 200 some acres, plus another 300ish ghost acres, so beats exploring.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 3:41:40

GDI protects against destructive attacks on Primary server. If you're in GDI and never hit anybody more than once in a reset, you cannot be hit with anything other than land grabs (and bomb banks? is that still the one loophole?)

Originally posted by drkprinc:
well that's stupid for someone to even hit that low into their nw the gains would be crap unless you had close to 0 defense making it worth it

Bottom feeding has long been the preferred method for gaining land on Primary. (Or at least it still was when I last played here about a year ago) Attacking larger targets does yield larger returns, but comes with far more risk. If you hit somebody with 50% of your net worth or more, and that person knows what he's doing, he can jet up and hit you back. Usually for more land than you took, since you *should* have more land than him. Hitting the tiny guys comes with very little risk of retaliation, especially when targets are chosen carefully.

Bottom feeding becomes even more attractive when you factor in ghost acres. The further someone is away from your net worth, the more ghost acres you gain (frequently even exceeding by 100% or more the number of real acres taken from the target). Its ridiculous, but that's just the way it is.

h2orich Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 4:57:02

well, my entire post meant protection from people land grabbing you which was what sprockitz asked.

sprockitz Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 5:06:10

Haha, I've been hit twice more in 2 hours since posting this...yeah the bottom feeding is annoying. My defense is decent for my acreage and nw...lots of players around my nw have more acres, and seeing as I have no jets my defense for my nw is pretty good. But yeah the hits are under 200 acres but gaining them over 400 bc ghosts.

drkprinc Game profile

Sep 22nd 2015, 7:09:44

yeah cheap ghost acres nice and all but takes time for them units to get back when doing PS, alot of time I mix it up bottomfeed + topfeed, topfeeding gives overall more acres easy compared to bottomfeeding due to the higher base acres on the grab before ghost.
(<(<>(<>.(<>..<>).<>)<>)>)

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
http://LaF.center - LaF
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

blid

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2015, 20:40:36

Originally posted by sprockitz:
Haha, I've been hit twice more in 2 hours since posting this...yeah the bottom feeding is annoying. My defense is decent for my acreage and nw...lots of players around my nw have more acres, and seeing as I have no jets my defense for my nw is pretty good. But yeah the hits are under 200 acres but gaining them over 400 bc ghosts.
Could be that the fatter players around you are all in deeper DR.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Saboteur

Sep 22nd 2015, 21:36:26

GDI is for tossers and sheep shaggers

anewone Game profile

Sep 23rd 2015, 0:50:14

Only protection from land grabs is a strong defense. GDI is just for the things turrets can't do.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Sep 23rd 2015, 1:30:19

Originally posted by anewone:
Only protection from land grabs is a strong defense.

I disagree here. Strong defense will not protect you if you're not high in the scores list, and you're not scary.

Take Serpentor for example: A perennial top 10 fixture. If he's trying, he's going to be ranked high at the end of every reset.

Now, there are less than 200 targets for him to choose from on Primary these days. Serp is already big enough after less than 20 days that he can only hit the top 85 or so right now. He's not going to hit anybody that can hit him back (at least not on purpose). He's also not going to hit anybody twice in a reset if he can avoid it. His potential target list grows smaller every day.

So, if he's got a bunch of guys around your net worth that he's already hit once, it doesn't matter if you're 100% turrets. Unless he can see some reason that hitting you would be risky, you're gonna get hit.

Defense will not stop the top players from hitting you. What will stop them is you keeping up with them, or you having enough resources (or potential resources) on hand to make them pay for hitting you.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 23rd 2015, 3:04:56

I was just fine reading this thread, until I hit the words topfeeding. What is it with you folks. Just having more land than another country in your scores list does not provide you with immunity from attack, in fact, it only makes you that much better of a target.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

blid

EE Patron

Sep 23rd 2015, 3:39:21

You don't know how to read, Cerberus. Nobody has said "topfeeding" except drkprnc, who said he *likes* to topfeed.

What Sam Danger has been saying is all true, by the way.

silentwolf Game profile

Sep 23rd 2015, 5:49:08

target selection is key to getting and KEEPING the acres.

GDI.. these days with limited acres.. can be broken. seems like this place might turn out the be the next express.

anewone Game profile

Sep 23rd 2015, 14:06:48

Well I guess I meant protection from successful land grabs. Example I could get hit right now, but I doubt anyone would actually be able to take any land, as I have 2.8mil turrets. Sometimes people send me a message after I take their land, saying it's not fair because I'm so much bigger than them... All I can say is I wouldn't have been able to take their land if they had more turrets.

silentwolf Game profile

Sep 24th 2015, 0:21:11

i'd rather spend my money on tech now than retal :)

F'in techers !!!!!!!!!!!!!! tech prices too high gdi (God Damn It)

Snaxxor Game profile

Sep 28th 2015, 20:02:29

im rank 90 and the guys in top 10 wreck my country constantly, thanks GDI!

anewone Game profile

Sep 30th 2015, 6:48:47

All I mean to say is that there's a point at which you have so much defense no one could grab from you if they tried. If you say that this doesn't work cause still someone in top ten can grab you... You just don't have enough turrets still. Now this may not be the best strategy, for sure, but if you don't want people to take your land, that's what it is.

Gurgel Game profile

Oct 1st 2015, 8:36:16

Somebody with GDI 1 and a half times my size hit me,
and I without GDI can not retaliate. That does not make sense. not landgrab, not missiles.

Edited By: Gurgel on Oct 1st 2015, 8:39:44
See Original Post

anewone Game profile

Oct 2nd 2015, 5:33:51

But we all started out with the same land etc, and the rules apply equally to everyone. If you are that concerned about people taking your land, why are you so small / don't have more turrets? But also having your land taken is not the end of the world, and avoiding attacks is only one strategy. I'll say from personal experience I grab land from people half my size or less, but there's always at least one of them that places above me by the end of the set, even if they never are able to retail me.

Snaxxor Game profile

Oct 5th 2015, 11:45:30

Thanks GDI!