Verified:

cronie Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 21:01:09

I got this on the news:

You tried to sell Tanks to a standing order but the buyer had no money!

Is that a joke or? No money? GTFO!

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2015, 21:18:16

Likely a fake SO.

I make them all the time. Get the commies to sell units high, then all the eager'd players spend their saving on the expensive stuff.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

drkprinc Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 21:18:41

you got conned into selling your tanks low :P if you were smart you recalled immediately ;)
(<(<>(<>.(<>..<>).<>)<>)>)

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
http://LaF.center - LaF
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2015, 21:19:03

And if they don't buy the expensive stuff-- then the commies are stuck with expensive stuff on market not selling-- win win.

cronie Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 22:20:18

Conned? How so? Explain the mechanism. I set a selling price and then I log off. It actually got sold already anyway. Just one of the news feed says what I posted in the OP.

If I puts a S.O. in but potential buyer doesn't have the cash to buy then that's it. They buy what they can, or not, and then the end. But my order is still there at that listing price. Im never going to sell below the price I listed. I don't see how there is a con here.

I couldn't cancel. I log back on to find that in the news. It also got sold too at a later time.

drkprinc Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 22:57:06

I was assuming you sold to a really cheap underpriced SO

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

cronie Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 22:59:18

What I did was I went to the market and looked at the asking price. Then I sold at that price expecting it to be sold. Then I logged off. I come back in a few hours and one of the earlier line says what I quoted in the OP. But the order was also sold at a later time.

There can't be a con right? I won't be able to sell at a price lower than my price I set. So I can't be taken or tricked into selling at a lower price.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2015, 23:03:33

Actually you can.

You see the SO is 'real', but, it doesn't say how many they're buying.

So for an example, tanks might say $640, but I have a SO to buy just 1 tank at $640. And if I spend all my money-- it wont even buy that 1 tank, but the SO still stays.

beerdrinker75 Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2015, 23:06:00

Tricky market manipulation. I like it.
Just shut up and have another beer

cronie Game profile

Aug 16th 2015, 23:18:55

Originally posted by Celphi:
Actually you can.

You see the SO is 'real', but, it doesn't say how many they're buying.

So for an example, tanks might say $640, but I have a SO to buy just 1 tank at $640. And if I spend all my money-- it wont even buy that 1 tank, but the SO still stays.
Yeah but after you run out of money then that's it. My order stays. Your S.O. can stay too, but I will never sell to you at $0. You can just assume that the spread of bid/ask is virtually zero but still no transactions because you have no money. My order becomes the new asking price and either my entire order gets filled or there must be a lower bidding price in the order book.

Basically if the game was programmed properly where I am not allowed to sell items at a lower price than the price I set, there can't be any con.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 16th 2015, 23:23:46

I totally agree. A SO should place that portion of a buyer's money on hold. But good luck on getting that implimented. I personally don't even like SOs. I also don't like that EXPRESS shows you the exact time of when your goods hit the market.

Edited By: Celphi on Aug 16th 2015, 23:28:13

cronie Game profile

Aug 17th 2015, 0:06:39

So are you saying that there is a proven bug then? Because this sounds like a bug if it does that.

If someone has a S.O. for a lot of goods but has no money, he buys 1 troop and then he gets free 1 million troops?

This doens't happen though. I've put S.O.s so large that I don't have money to buy. It just buys when my money comes in. I never get free goods or cheap goods. The order stays there until I've got the money.

Technically the game shouldn't allow anyone put an order they can't afford to buy. You can't do that in real life.

EE Patron

Aug 17th 2015, 0:09:02

The holder of the SO ran out of money. That's all.

drkprinc Game profile

Aug 17th 2015, 0:24:13

biggest abuse of SO's is at very start of set people put out large quantities at very low prices, SO work in order of placed regardless of price unless price is placed higher then the SO, so say 2 people put out SO for same unit person 1 puts SO out at 30$ on day one but person 2 puts SO out at 35$ on day 2 person 1 is getting the SO if its under 30$ so you can put out an SO for 13$ barrels like happend this set someone got a ton of it cheap the moment it hit market meaning that the person placing the goods new exact price to put their goods at for that person to get the said SO and not someone else as market will show only the highest SO that is out at the time but not the oldest.

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

cronie Game profile

Aug 17th 2015, 0:26:35

I think you're talking about tricking the tape of the market in a thin market. But there is no bug here in that you cannot sell less than the price you set for sale.

drkprinc Game profile

Aug 17th 2015, 0:27:58

nope you cannot, but a person can get less then what they put SO out for

zz.ghqnet.com - 0.o
imp.ghqnet.com - IMP

Hammer Game profile

Aug 22nd 2015, 14:30:29

Alin used to do this all the time when he played express. Celphi said he does it, and I am sure others do as well. With Alin, one would put their stuff out there and then only sell "1"... lol.

This one of the reasons I made the suggestion, or added to the wishlist, that we could delete items from the market on a per item, full-quantity basis. For example, if we had x-number food, y-number tanks, z-number troops, have the ability to delete the tanks. It would be all or none for that unit...not a partial retrieval.

cronie, another thing to remember about SOs is that if you place one, don't forget about it or else you will be buying oil, for example, at the end of the game when you probably are no longer needing it. I have purchased a lot of stuff at the end of the game that I did not need since I have been playing.

I just wanted to bring that up while you guys are discussing SOs.

Vic Game profile

Aug 22nd 2015, 15:08:13

All of us did that. I always do on all servers.
Especially end game alliance I had a couple million points of mil tech, SOs were at 800 for it and my block was at 1499. I put up a mil tech SO for 1 tech point at 1325 and a huge chunk of my 1499 block sold within 20 minutes when someone holding out for those 800s thought someone else was going to pick it all up below 1325.

Pretty simple stuff, many of us do it on express. You know for sure it's happening when you see oil SOs for one or two bucks below asking price

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 22nd 2015, 15:34:45

^^ spot on explanation. It helps keep the prices high.

EE Patron

Aug 22nd 2015, 15:39:49

That's happening with oil right now.

h2orich Game profile

Aug 23rd 2015, 4:37:12

Waste of precious time and bandwidth to use SO

Packrat203 Game profile

Aug 23rd 2015, 13:21:12

Lol