Verified:

mdevol Game profile

May 21st 2015, 0:22:55

Tune in live!

Filibustering the reauthorization of the Patriot Act with the NSA provisions allowing the mass collection of data.

http://www.c-span.org/...nsa-surveillance&live

Edited By: mdevol on May 21st 2015, 1:42:39
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2015, 0:38:36

Well done haha
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

BLUEEE Game profile

May 21st 2015, 3:14:48

was a good watch lol i watched for like an hr

mdevol Game profile

May 21st 2015, 3:52:39

after 10.5 hours, he has stepped off of the florr.

Glad to see that there are at least a few people in congress willing to stand up for our rights and freedoms.
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

elvesrus

May 21st 2015, 4:57:05

Wyden is still my favorite
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

tellarion Game profile

May 21st 2015, 14:45:48

So people actually follow through on filibusters sometimes? Good to know.

Vic Game profile

May 21st 2015, 16:00:38

I met Rand last year, he was really a gentle and humble man! Go Senator!

braden Game profile

May 21st 2015, 16:39:53

id be pulling for paul come sixteen, but he's soft on communism.

BladeEWG Game profile

May 24th 2015, 20:17:14

I never saw the sense to the filibusters.
Seems like just wasting time which should be used in a more productive way.

ssewellusmc

May 24th 2015, 20:20:42

Originally posted by mdevol:
after 10.5 hours, he has stepped off of the florr.

Glad to see that there are at least a few people in congress willing to stand up for our rights and freedoms.

Amen

archaic Game profile

May 24th 2015, 21:13:09

He's a raving fluffing lunatic is what he is.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

BladeEWG Game profile

May 25th 2015, 0:18:12

So explain to me again what he accomplished by this?

BladeEWG Game profile

Jun 1st 2015, 22:44:19

Still nothing?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 1st 2015, 22:50:03

Originally posted by BladeEWG:
I never saw the sense to the filibusters.
Seems like just wasting time which should be used in a more productive way.

Aaaaaand when has politicians been "productive"?
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

mdevol Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 0:01:13

It's quite simple. He was attempting to start a national dialogue on the issue of mass collection of meta data. Phone records, Web traffic, banking transactions.

He accomplished this in that the debate has been brought to center of attention on the reauthorization of the Patriot act. He has further filibustered and denied the passage of the bill at least until tuesday.

The sections of the bill that are in question are currently expired.

He very much changed the discourse and went against his party in doing so.

BladeEWG Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 0:35:45

So he delayed the action but didn't stop it?

braden Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 0:44:15

Originally posted by archaic:
He's a raving fluffing lunatic is what he is.

says the guy who is holding igneous rock in his pocket?

Raging Budda Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 3:59:08

It's quite simple. He was attempting to start a national dialogue on the issue of mass collection of meta data. Phone records, Web traffic, banking transactions.

He accomplished this in that the debate has been brought to center of attention on the reauthorization of the Patriot act. He has further filibustered and denied the passage of the bill at least until tuesday.

The new bill running through the Senate will change how the data is collected. Per the House bill now seen as the "comprmise" phone companies will hold the records and the NSA/FBI/etc, will need a warrant to acess them (probably from the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court). As opposed to the NSA/etc just scooping up metadata at will and storing it on the giant servers they are building around the country.
Your base is mine!

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 4:24:17

Originally posted by Raging Budda:

The new bill running through the Senate will change how the data is collected. Per the House bill now seen as the "comprmise" phone companies will hold the records and the NSA/FBI/etc, will need a warrant to acess them (probably from the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court). As opposed to the NSA/etc just scooping up metadata at will and storing it on the giant servers they are building around the country.

I haven't had the time to follow this particular episode of Federal Theater, but if what Raging Budda has posted here is accurate, then people should be cheering Rand Paul.

"The NSA still gets the info.. What's the difference?'

The difference would be that the so called "Patriot Act" ignored the 4th amendment to the constitution. The amendment that protects you and me from unwarranted intrusions into our privacy by our overlords in DC.

We Americans have been far too quick to give up our constitutional protections in the interest of security. It is about time somebody started to turn that around.

Jun 2nd 2015, 17:42:41

As I understand it, the super secret intel court rarely refuses to grant a warrant, but sometimes asks for a modifcation of data being asked for. In any case, there will still be a record of what was searched for and a reason why, which is a key to government overreeach.

http://www.cnn.com/...act-vote-patriot-act-nsa/

"The House bill requires the government obtain a targeted warrant to collect phone metadata from telecommunications companies, makes the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (known as the FISA court) which reviews those warrant requests more transparent."

I see nothing wrong with this, though why Repubican leadership is trying to toughen it, I have no idea. Other than Mitch McConnel, Lindsey Grahm, and John McCain like knowing how often you dial those 1-900 #s and how long the calls are.
Your base is mine!

Jun 2nd 2015, 22:02:32

Rand Paul won!

House bill passed the Senate without admendments. Government will need a warrants to serach for phone records and details of warrant requests will be at least "more transparent". Not sure what that means, but there will be a paper trial of what the NSA/FBI request and a reason for the search.
Your base is mine!

mdevol Game profile

Jun 4th 2015, 23:25:42

I envy the half of the state of Kentucky (not the Mitch McConnell side) and South Carolinas 4th district. They have very solid representatives in congress.

Jun 4th 2015, 23:36:29

Kentucky has elected two VERY diffrent Republican Senators recently...eh..
Your base is mine!

Schilling Game profile

Jun 5th 2015, 0:08:04

Anyone clapped for Edward Snowden yet?...

*claps for Edward Snowden*

mdevol Game profile

Jun 5th 2015, 1:05:11

Oh but didn't you hear? Snowden is a traitor and guilty of treason......

*sigh*