Verified:

mrford Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 18:59:54

fluffING CATALINA WINE MIXER
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 19:09:46

can you guys go make your own thread to bash eachother on?

we get it, Vic. we were able to achieve perfection in 2010 then for someone reason everyone left. and now you need to bring them back for us. thanks for the help! :p

that being said, I'm not at all worried about bringing back people en masse. but when that is executed we better be able to give them a reason to stay. that's where new ideas and a new UI come in :)

Edited By: Pang on Apr 24th 2015, 19:12:07
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 24th 2015, 19:13:48

Don't be a bash nazi, Pang!!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Trife Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:17:38

Originally posted by TAN:
this thread isn't about you or your l33t recruiting skillz, manbaby, so find somewhere else to troll so we can actually talk about the game, not whose e-peen is longer.

everyone knows my e-poon reigns supreme

Trife Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:18:07

lol, thats the typo of the year for me... and possible freudian slip. i'm keeping it there

braden Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:19:20

islams positive population bonus would be a misnomer- they dont gain population, per se, they just murder anyone who isnt mooslim.

also, vics aught one retirement left me emotionally asunder :(

Edited By: braden on Apr 24th 2015, 21:20:03. Reason: aught/ought.. i ought of known better :(
See Original Post

BUTTMAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:19:23

hhahahahha

Originally posted by Trife:
this thread isn't about you or your l33t recruiting skillz, manbaby, so find somewhere else to troll so we can actually talk about the game, not whose e-peen is longer.

everyone knows my e-poon reigns supreme

Edited By: BUTTMAN on Apr 24th 2015, 19:22:45
See Original Post

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:25:31

*lubes up trife and throws him at mrford*

So Pang, did you guys already have in mind some things you wanted to tweak? Is it possible to share that info, or is it still in the early stages or under wraps?
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 19:25:54

don't push me, KoH, or I will cut you like you're social security benefits!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 19:30:18

I don't have any strong opinions, plans or the like related to mechanic changes or tweaks. Everything I care about is in the vein of design and user experience....

although I do loosely support the idea of clans being more like a federal government and that expands the gameplay options for keeners (leaders) to focus on instead of trying to out-douche each other politically. also allow you to help pick up the slack for players who aren't as engaged, go away for extended periods, etc rather than just figuring out which new bonuses to throw into an optimization matrix
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Trife Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:31:10

forget about tweaks, pang

do you have any plans to twerk?

mrford Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:42:10

Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 24th 2015, 19:44:21

Originally posted by Pang:
don't push me, KoH, or I will cut you like you're social security benefits!

What!?, I am the benefits to social security!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:49:04

You know the funny thing about that clip ford isn't just how awkward it is, it's that she manages to shake everything *except* her ass.

Kinda like this: http://i.imgur.com/w8Ahaq2.gif
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Trife Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:49:12

that just set white people back 30 years

made me think of that girl in rebecca blacks' friday video

http://excusememe.com/...4gifwhitepeoplefriday.gif

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:50:35

Originally posted by Trife:

that just set white people back 30 years

yeah well you set white people back, like, more years or something.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:52:07

aghhkkkkk this is turning into a spam thread.

anyhow, back to the topic at hand.

So Pang, do you think that it would be a good idea to have separate discussion threads and each topic, like design, UI, mechanics...etc? I mean, might as well brainstorm now so down the road, if there's ever time, we could have a framework for updates ready.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

mrford Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 19:53:06

Swagger of a Chupacabra

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 20:44:31

I don't want to promote false hope that something imminent is in the works but do whatever you like.... it's a free country. And by that, I mean Canada.

-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Rasp Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 21:01:31

Originally posted by Schilling:
One idea I like to kick around is a global effect for certain things. Right now, the only thing that happens in terms of interaction is country to country things (alliances for tech, off/def, intel, etc. then of course attacking and spying) and whatever moves through the public market. Global events like massive earthquakes, or storms that effect multiple countries. What about chemical missiles and nukes used in wars add to a global contamination that effects all countries that slowly dissipates (killing population, rendering land useless, etc).

I also like the idea of limited land. Cap the server out at certain points and nobody can explore until more land is 'discovered' or countries are destroyed leaving the land up for grabs.

I like this global events idea, and the state of the server affects all who are in it.

Too bad Vic had to come in and pollute the thread with anti-Tan comments. Difficult to find good posts.
[16:18:00] znc-rasp: We can kill bushido, but not bushifo, zack, moriarty, ghost rider, or darkling
[16:18:07] Req: Is that all the same person?
[16:18:12] symba: yea
[16:18:25] mob: my kids are like dad why are you laughing so much

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 21:15:18

Something simple like that could work.

I feel that a land limit cap could have seriously interesting implications, but it might be prone to abuse by the larger alliances. Also, wouldn't that mean new countries can't even be created if the server is at the land limit?
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 24th 2015, 21:44:25

I actually agree with TAN here.

Vic you're stuck in the 1999's to 2000's.

Also don't get lost in the minutia of TANs idea. The bonuses etc can all be played with but the underlying idea is there.

There have been TONS of good suggestions over the years but unfortunately we always get the same answer: "Good idea but we don't have time"

That's fine if they don't have time but don't tell us all the game needs is a UI overhaul! That's just not truthful.

The lazy thing... Err no... The easy thing to do would be just fluff up the UI and make it look new (bootstrap) but that doesn't do anything for the game play, which is why you play... Right?. People can look past UI for a great game play experience but you cannot look past bad game play for a great UI. It doesn't go in reverse.

Also if Pang was such a game designing genius he wouldn't have just copied a game he would have invented a new game. Nothing against Pang but he is no innovator just an imitator at least as far as EE is concerned. And you can say some things have been changed, which they have, but there are very very few differences between the game we play now and the game that Mehul invented in 1999 and the game play is virtually identical.

Now what does this all mean? Nothing just my opinions of course :)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 24th 2015, 22:16:06

But the Pangean doesn't have time, blame CANADA!!!
(•_•)

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 22:39:59

Originally posted by Requiem:
Also if Pang was such a game designing genius he wouldn't have just copied a game he would have invented a new game. Nothing against Pang but he is no innovator just an imitator at least as far as EE is concerned. And you can say some things have been changed, which they have, but there are very very few differences between the game we play now and the game that Mehul invented in 1999 and the game play is virtually identical.

OK, so I don't remember claiming to be a game designing genius... I helped put this game together so an online community that was a big part of my life at the time (and had been for over a decade) would continue. I've never really been much into app dev and that's where you need to be in this day and age to be anything more than an hobbyist in that industry. But thanks for the random hate! :p

I think you're forgetting the purpose of what our project was: improve all the things that annoyed us about E2025, continue the legacy and keep the community together. We weren't that interested in crazy new ideas and one of the major items we DIDN'T get done that was planned with the initial build was to build a more modern UI to make it more accessible for mobile (and Facebook, at the time...).

However, I'm confused by your post. Since you feel I'm not good at designing games in terms of creating the rules and mechanics for the game, wouldn't you want me to focus my time on a UI redesign project that would run in parallel to any work others would do dealing with mechanics changes? Do you like the current UI? It also hasn't really changed in 20 years in terms of its crapiness. There's plenty of changes when you actually objectively compare the two games but that's part of what I like about a lot of our changes: they were so good you don't even remember a time when they weren't there. :)

Anyway, did you have a bad day/week at work? That's a lot of random negativity on a Friday afternoon.

Edited By: Pang on Apr 24th 2015, 23:05:56
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2015, 22:40:15

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
But the Pangean doesn't have time, blame CANADA!!!

I blame Sweet Brown.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

TAN Game profile

Apr 24th 2015, 22:55:20

*humps pang*
FREEEEEDOM!!!

juice Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 2:06:20

I like the idea of adding to the strats, however, that is NOT what this game needs.

The reason this game did well for a long time was because new people kept joining. This is a text based game, which means almost no new players, ever. The people who do decide to give it a try have a bunch of hurdles, like qz said: such as, getting farmed because they aren't in a clan, instead of being invited to a clan and taught how to play; figuring out what server to join; etc.

What this game needs is two things: 1) an app, preferably one with some graphics, even if they are extremely basic, 2) a facebook interface, again, with some graphics.

When I ran my game, I put it on facebook. Now, I didn't integrate it, I just made it playable through facebook. Also, my game had no graphics. During the first weekend on facebook, my game was listed on a new games list and I got a few hundred new players during the weekend. My game was very hard for new players to figure out, so people would join and quit, all in the same day.

So, if EE was fixed up, with some graphics, and launched both an app and a facebook presence, we should easily see growth.

It's the people and the socializing that have made this game fun for me. Also, the programming. I learned to program because of the clan forums, and the irc chat rooms. I don't know of any other game that allows the players to have such interaction with the game.

I just wish we could get some people who want to code graphics for the game, as a hobby, or a learning project, or whatever...but just do it. The mechanics are good enough, we just need a way to entice people to try the game and stick with it for a little while.

Hawkster Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 5:36:00

By update, I mean new bonuses and stuff. The game needs rejuvenation, we need more diversity in strats and how to play the game in order to fight off stagnation and keep the current player base interested. How about on top of governments, you can pick state religions and ideologies?

Examples:

IDEOLOGIES

Capitalist - +5% PCI, -1% market commission, -5% food production
Marxist - +5% industrial production, +5% population, +10% chance for disasters
Nationalist - +10% defensive spy bonus, +20 max turn storage, -5% military tech
Pacifist - +5% SDI tech, +5% military tech, -10% weapon tech
Militaristic...etc

RELIGIONS

Judaism - +10% business tech, -5% population
Islam - +5% population, +5% for population booms, effects of getting spy oped double
Christian-Catholic - Ideology bonuses and penalties doubled
Christian-Protestant - Can "declare peace" immediately, 1 second cooldown between attacks
Buddhist...etc
It is a great idea and one that I really loved. However, as Juice already mentioned and/or hinted at. This has already been done and proved not to be what was needed. Imho, that version of e2025 evolved more into its own game, and although similar enough for most old earthers to recognize, yet different enough that it was no longer the same game. Also, at least again imho, the attitude of the server(s) was more palatable for noob players.

Anyway, it has been done and although it may have helped attract some new players, it proved to be in the end not sustainable and as such, not the answer. I think the game needs at least some graphics to appeal to new players, even if they are just basic static graphics and/or background images. It also could use some kinda noob how to play UI, which guides them through the game the first set. A decent enough of a helper UI that would involve quite a bit of time setting up and coding. But sadly even if both of those are implemented, I fear the attitude in most servers here would still run most the new players out, so unless the attitude changed around here, I am unsure how effective anything new would be. At least the attitude here is not as bad as say mars, but still think it needs to be improved in order to keep players around long enough to give the game a decent try while trying to learn it.

zygotic Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 5:50:10

How about clans have training tags and new players are randomly assigned to a training tag that way they get to play the game for a bit without being farmed into the ground the second they leave protection? Or give them free gdi for a certain amount of turns and when its about to run they get a message explaining gdi and asking if they want to pay for it?

New governments and having religons is going to be a sort term fix as once people get used to it they'll want another change.

The mobile UI does need some attention as the side meno links do sometimes overlay on the main bit. It doesnt bother me that much as i like the game but that kinda thing could put off a new player.

Thunder Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 6:05:18

I know I'm old, but no n00b, nub however you want to spell it these days. I've been Earthy off and on since eesite. :(
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

Hawkster Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 6:27:22

Auto assigning players in a clan might work on this server, yet it would do nothing for the other servers, so that really is not an entire answer either.

the mobile UI needs some serious work, I could log on to the game on my old phone, but I was unable to actually play it on my old phone. I have since bought a newer phone, which I am sure can play the game since it is a smartphone. The problem is, that most will have newer smartphones, I am sure I was in the minority that had an old non smartphone. However, I still think it is sad that one of the biggest selling points to this game originally, for military personnel to be able to play from any phone anywhere in the world, is no longer capable here.

And imho at least, one of the biggest things that needs to be done is a mobile app, which I would guess means the basic mobile UI needs to be done better to begin with. However, that should prolly have been done years ago, by time any such thing is done now, it will prolly be some other mass thing that is most popular by the time that work is done.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 25th 2015, 19:43:50

YOU ARE NOOB UNLESS YOU STARTED WITH SOLARIANET OR BRE LARRR
IF YOU CAN REMEMBER UCN BEFORE FINGOLFIN LEAD IT LARRRRRRR
AND TAN
I AM STILL

AT HEAD OF TAN
++martian

AT HEAD OF TAN
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

ssj4goku17 Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 21:48:00

If anything is changed, I'd like an option to buy land from the private market first. The price per acre being relative to your current acreage. We can use math to make sure landgrabbing is still a much better deal to expand, but buying land is a safer option and still lets treehuggers/the passive bunch grow and actually compete. Letting people buy land would also make the server effectively fatter, benefiting the aggressive players and overall increasing networth on the server too. With the lack of players land is hard to come by, even with bots since they're almost always farmed down. It's pure luck if you catch one coming out of DR...and I don't like things that are too luck involved...Also, we have people faking as bots just to screw you over, but it's a legit thing to do I suppose, just hurts server as people leave.

If not the above proposal, how about a minimum explore rate of 10-12 or something? Or combine that with a technology that increases explore rate & ghost acres? Could try it on one server and see how it goes.

Just ideas.

Marshal Game profile

Apr 25th 2015, 21:59:39

buying land without some1 selling it? sounds weird.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 25th 2015, 22:07:52

What pang said! :)
Finally did the signature thing.

maverickmd Game profile

Apr 26th 2015, 1:45:36

just copy everything from Civ5

Schilling Game profile

Apr 26th 2015, 2:57:57

Originally posted by maverickmd:
just copy everything from Civ5

I would love a navy aspect to this game.

Pretty challenging to get all this stuff done at once. Especially with only 2-3 guys being able to work semi part time. Most games have dozens of people on the dev team. One group for graphics, one for calc and programming (database, too), one team for UI and another for UX, then the ever important testers, etc.

While we have some good ideas, I think the first step is building a good team of people with the spare time and the minimum experience to do it in small phases. As far as testing goes, we have a few hundred at the ready. :)

archaic Game profile

Apr 26th 2015, 17:47:08

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Don't be a bash nazi, Pang!!

GODWINS LAW - - - - - A C T I V A T E!!!
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Relax lah Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 26th 2015, 17:54:05

Relax lah :)

hoop Game profile

Apr 26th 2015, 18:04:03

I like the idea of letting alliances make alliance wide decisions that impact all countries. It would add some interesting strategy and perhaps give an alliance a strength in netting but at the risk of another declaring war. It would have to be well thought out and planned as an error here could really hurt game play as well.

Having a subset of attributes to apply to an alliance would be interesting but I think Vic's fears are legit.

Erian Game profile

Apr 27th 2015, 8:55:47

Who led UCN before fingolfin?

TNTroXxor Game profile

Apr 27th 2015, 9:36:10

Nice it only took half a page for this thread to go apefluff LOL

*Grabs popcorn
Originally posted by JJ23:
i havent been deleted since last set

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 27th 2015, 12:11:04

making the ui in general more clicky is a laudable goal

theres no reason people shouldnt be able to click a button to tech 1 turn instead of typing it in

pictures/aesthetic is fine, but any redesign should focus on clickiness

and little things like defaulting text boxes to numerical input on mobile

Alin Game profile

Apr 28th 2015, 14:07:57

TAN is mafia!

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Apr 28th 2015, 14:46:27

years ago we had a 3rd party browser plugin that added functionality to the tech screen. it added +/- to the side of where we type tech points so that we could easily click + or - to add or remove a full turn of tech points. And if you still want to type numbers to spread out the turn you still can.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Vic Game profile

Apr 28th 2015, 14:49:16

i'm sure you could all anticipate this ...
but I thoroughly enjoy typing in the numbers :p
I also think it's part of the game, and if you mistype your #, you should indeed be penalized :p
(thinks of all the times I've hit enter early and teched 13 points in one turn instead of 13,000)