Verified:

DancingBear Game profile

Apr 3rd 2015, 14:59:56

sug: i think youcan do better than 14 hours + down tme with nothing but an oops i'm so sorry ... no nfo, no nothing, with resets destroyed in express and so forth ... sorrry, but you don't get a free pass on this ... one or two more like this one and it may be another 5 or 10 years before i try to play again ... you should have a better plan to make annoncements when the game is down and you should have a better plan for how to handle missing game time when outages go past an hour or two ... that's both my complaint and my suggestion

Edited By: DancingBear on Apr 3rd 2015, 15:10:11. Reason: misspelled last as lwst
See Original Post

Marshal Game profile

Apr 3rd 2015, 19:50:29

this downtime was unplanned.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

DancingBear Game profile

Apr 3rd 2015, 20:21:37

exactly ... you should have a game status page hosted on a remote server on another domain so that when there is any kind of outage, you can communicate to the community what is happening. there should also be a policy on what to do about a long unscheduled outage, perhaps something like anything over 2 hours stops the game clock, and causes an automatic restart at a later, announced time with a coresponding extension of the set's duration ...

just my 2 cents

Edited By: DancingBear on Apr 3rd 2015, 20:34:49. Reason: typos ... using a tablet
See Original Post

stanrools Game profile

Apr 3rd 2015, 20:33:45

Did we loose anything on the outage? I had full turns but 0 stored.
Techer to win it all.

RMcCourt

EE Patron

Apr 3rd 2015, 21:02:24

I also had full turns, 0 stored. I checked the facebook page during the outage but didn't see anything posted there. I know the FB page is pretty dead, but that would be a good place to post during an outage as needed.

Xninja Game profile

Apr 6th 2015, 3:00:17

Originally posted by DancingBear:
exactly ... you should have a game status page hosted on a remote server on another domain so that when there is any kind of outage, you can communicate to the community what is happening. there should also be a policy on what to do about a long unscheduled outage, perhaps something like anything over 2 hours stops the game clock, and causes an automatic restart at a later, announced time with a coresponding extension of the set's duration ...

just my 2 cents

There is the IRC where people are generally able to get decent info when junk like that hapenes... so there is a way to get information on down time when the game is down.. which is very far from often.

Originally posted by DancingBear:
sug: i think youcan do better than 14 hours + down tme with nothing but an oops i'm so sorry ... no nfo, no nothing, with resets destroyed in express and so forth ... sorrry, but you don't get a free pass on this ... one or two more like this one and it may be another 5 or 10 years before i try to play again ... you should have a better plan to make annoncements when the game is down and you should have a better plan for how to handle missing game time when outages go past an hour or two ... that's both my complaint and my suggestion

You talk like you put money down on this game :/ 5-10 years before trying to play again over a seemingly 1x fluke... its not like this happens often. I'm mean sure, I was sitting around getting frustrated not being able to log in close to the end of ffa to do my destocking. But man... to quit 5-10 years... there is obviously more to this game than I originally thought :/
Overlord of Chaos
http://lords.ghqnet.com<--CLICK ME; JOIN CHAOS
Aim:baerninja
MSN/Email:

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 7th 2015, 16:57:12

As Xninja pointed out, there is irc.earthempires.com, which was up the whole time; and perhaps I could have been in contact more on there; also, it's hard to help that the first customer service guy i talked to didn't know what he was talking about, or rather, only knew half of what i ended up needing; calling the second time made all the difference
Finally did the signature thing.

arthog Game profile

Apr 9th 2015, 0:21:13

another idea would be to have a facebook page for us , then if the guys maintaining the game , know of an issue , they can simply post the fact there , and even put their info on eta for return of the game or , what they are trying to do to sort it out .

Xintros Game profile

Apr 9th 2015, 13:38:42

I have been gone for so long, I did not even remember the irc for the game. Did not set up my irc apps on mobile or pc yet. (I tried to remember, but I was trying to join #earthempires on gamesurge irc instead of the irc.earthempires.com server)
Anyway, I think Facebook is the solution, even though nobody posted there. There was a post on our Alliance site about it, but that doesn't help the non Alliance players much. :-p
In FB it says the FB Earth Empires is public, but when Googeled, I couldn't find it (Earth 2025 was found and a bunch of other things about the game, a band, a blog and that other Empire Earth game always comes up.) I even logged in, got the url for the FB Earth Empires page, logged out, entered the url and FB told me I needed to log in to proceed (unlike the Earth 2025 FB page where you can see everything regardless if you are logged in or not.) Earth 2025 being a Fan Page and you have the option to "Like" it and can view it regardless if you like it or not, vs Earth Empires where you join the group. (Since I am a member, I do not know if you have to be one to see it? I see it because I am a member?) Any player that had any information and is a member of the FB Earth Empires could have posted there, but no one did.
I guess like myself, most obviously knew there was an issue and it was being worked on as best as possible. It's not like Admins were like "F it, I'll get to it next week", but yes in the future, it would be nice for players to have some information outside these forums, irc etc, since everything goes down if the server goes down and all players do not use irc, its almost like your blind. :-/
When other sites go down I am involved with, I personally immediately go to their twitter page. There are always updates as to what is going on, with people asking stuff like "@netflix why can't I get on the site?" or "@SoundCloud I cannot log in wtf?". There is always a statement from the admins most giving a general statement ie "We are aware of the problem and are doing our best to alleviate the situation. We should be back up in about an hour" (or whenever they hope to be back up or fixed issue). Then the follow up tweet saying "We are back up and running, sorry for the inconvenience .... etc..." Twitter is FLY, but I think most peeps are just into FB here.

*BONUS*
https://www.facebook.com/vjcatband

Edited By: Xintros on Apr 9th 2015, 13:46:12. Reason: Add url
See Original Post
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a killrrun" - Xintros
https://www.soundclick.com/...efault.cfm?bandID=1381300

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 9th 2015, 15:48:51

Could use twitter i suppose.

Xintros Game profile

Apr 9th 2015, 19:26:56

Well, you don't need to be logged into Twitter to see tweet.. Good Idea. If the world ends, got to twitter! I googled "twitter earth empires" #1 result was https://twitter.com/earthempires .

( https://www.facebook.com/vjcatband )

Edited By: Xintros on Apr 9th 2015, 19:28:59. Reason: url was not working
See Original Post
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a killrrun" - Xintros
https://www.soundclick.com/...efault.cfm?bandID=1381300

Marshal Game profile

Apr 9th 2015, 20:32:21

ee-staff doesn't use twitter apparently.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 14th 2015, 0:38:30

I do... just not for EE.
just like facebook.
:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 14th 2015, 16:21:36

i could post on the FB group too....

I don't really use twitter/FB, though i do have them; mostly i post bicycle rides to FB lol