Verified:

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:11:11

According to our records, you recently had at least one country deleted for rules violations. Please carefully review the game rules. If you feel that your country was deleted mistakenly or you failed to inform game staff of another player on the same computer or network,please appeal your deletion using the button below.
A game moderator will email you and review the deletion.

Appeal the deletion involving just a friendly land grab (#14)

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:11:45

um ??? i was double tapped and i gave away my set to throw inefficient AB's at #15.
how in the world was I deleted for rules violations???

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:12:26

I will require an answer thanks

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:15:17

i'm still waiting.
what rule could I possibly have violated?

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:16:17

you do realize this is what is killing this game?? i come back after a year away, post two t5's in a row in my first two sets back, then go to war in my 3rd set and get deleted for rules violation??
why would anyone want to stay and play this ??

whooze Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 14:19:27

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:22:22

|just a friendly land grab (#14)

Harrassing in game messages|

is this a joke?
i'm out of here. 2:1 pathetic retal attempts should be deletable offenses, not trash talking some punk.
btw my last messages were nothing but cordial.
trash talking has always been part of this game.

you guys are literally killing this game.
bye all.

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:22:38

edit - content already posted.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:24:15

thanks whooze and furious.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:27:04

seriously though - you have people on the public forums here making mockeries out of cancer and rape and saying truly homophobic and largely illegal things ... and i get deleted ... IN GAME ... for trash talking?

good luck with this.
this has officially become Utopia.

silentwolf Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:29:04

U did a yo momma joke ehh vic..

Or did u insult the prophet? ..

That's get their twitties in a knot... Cuz of simple fluffe..

Oh well.. beer is good.

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:30:31

And we've been trying to clean up the forums as well. To my knowledge though, its never been okay to act the way you did in the messages. Trash talking is fine but you crossed the line.

Please refer to martian. He can over rule a mods.decision. he has absolute final say.
The Death Knights

XI

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:31:13

hehe i'll get to the beer soon s dubs. and of course I would never make religious jokes (unlike most of the players here) .

i kept it very generic. it was more of the "get on your knees b*tch, I own you, you worthless little b*tch, answer me when I'm speaking to you you c*nt*" sort of flavor.
truly a dark day in earth when that sort of talk is deletable ...
yet we can mock rape and death and religion all we want!!!

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:31:58

Originally posted by bstrong86:
And we've been trying to clean up the forums as well. To my knowledge though, its never been okay to act the way you did in the messages. Trash talking is fine but you crossed the line.

Please refer to martian. He can over rule a mods.decision. he has absolute final say.

show me the rule about trash talking

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 14:33:22

and further - I can understand if the messages were unprovoked. but as an earth purist, the deletable offense should be the 2:1 retal attempt, not trash talking.
also bstrong - I know you didn't play much in the old days - but trash talking was always, always, always a part of the game.
and the way to beat a trash talker was just to keep quiet and own him in game.
but it certainly was never a deletable offense that's for sure.

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:00:32

Vic, if I received in game messages such as those you describe I would be offended.

Maybe that makes me a bit of a pansy but the person who complained and me will not be the only ones, I should imagine.

Would it not be possible to tone the trash talk down a bit? Too violent or robust an atmosphere when playing is as likely to drive people away as mods enforcing the rules of the site.

Riddler Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:08:25

fluff that, Whoever reports a message for in game trash talk is worthless. Unless it becomes real life death threats etc...but seriously its an online TXT BASED GAME!!

Ive seen my fair share of trash talk, i laugh it off because people get so worked up over a game...

deezyboy Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:13:33

>still aint got deleted

suck it vic

deezyboy Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:13:50

dont report me vic :-(

deezyboy Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:15:13

to be fair u can say some pretty crazy stuff on here i do it all the time. but most everyone is in a joking cordial manner.

try not being a seeious forreal asshole and maybe they will laugh instead of be a douche to you lol

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 15:30:05

[ Irrelevant ]

Edited By: Celphi on Feb 26th 2015, 14:54:21
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:39:57

thanks for finding that celphi - tbh I never knew there was any language in the rules that addressed offensive messages (beyond specific RL threats, religious threats, things of that nature). i thought the general "suck it b*tch" type of stuff was just a little street ball talk that was typically laughed at by the good players (yes, afaik and I have had some good convos about this. he thinks trash talking is laughable. but he doesn't think it's a deletable offense. too bad this guy wasn't a boss like afaik)

i think most people see I enjoy meeting people in earth and I don't want to be purposefully offensive. if i'm told something I do is offensive, that's fine - please let me know and I'm confident you will see an immediate adjustment in behavior. i love this game (more than most all of you, that's also fact. i take it seriously at times, less seriously at other times, but i love the game and the people in it.)
just kind of sucks this guy waited a day, ignored 3 final cordial messages, and reported only after I reduced him down to 25 cs and a total parking lot.

Edited By: Vic on Jan 24th 2015, 15:48:39

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 15:41:39

and celphi you are wrong. I did not *clearly* violate a rule.
that is still very grey and subjective.
how do we define offensive? especially here in this oftentimes vitriolic community??

a clear violation of the rules is something along the lines of : no in game collusion - and player A asks player B to join in on a kill run.

further - most people here know that I find it offensive to be addressed or messaged in game by anyone that isn't 1st tier. so should they be deleted when they message me because I can make an argument that it's offensive?? ...
we need to DEFINE WHAT OFFENSIVE MEANS. plain and simple. until then, I was not in violation of any rule.

so i'd like you to correct yourself as we can all agree there is some level of subjectivity here in how we define offensive, especially in a community so offensive as this one.
I firmly believe that I was *not* being offensive. and as soon as tangster responded in game with a picture, I wrote back "haha :P " ... so I was ANYTHING but hostile.
thanks, let me know once you've made the correction for objectivity's sake (and I know facts matter to you, which is why I'm holding you to this higher standard)

Edited By: Vic on Jan 24th 2015, 15:51:45

Riddler Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 16:10:34

well I just called someone a douche in game for triple retalling me over a single grab...*waits to be deleted*

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 16:26:42

[ Irrelevant ]

Edited By: Celphi on Feb 26th 2015, 14:54:05

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 16:44:07

I appreciate that. Thanks.
and what about the reasonable person test's bearing in an environment where many players are not reasonable? Do a deep forum search and you will find thousands of forumists acknowledging over the years that no one who plays earth is sane or reasonable.
therefore we can't be held to an average standard of the reasonable person test. earth is a unique environment and that's why subjective rules must be more defined

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 16:44:15

A good test, it seems to me, is whether the language used would be acceptable if addressed to a child. The game no longer attracts youngsters as it did in its heyday and it isn't going to however we behave. But the occasional young person may play and it would seem to me very unfortunate if a youngster were subjected to stuff like this.

Of course if you know the player you are talking to that is another matter.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 16:54:02

Originally posted by Riddler:
fluff that, Whoever reports a message for in game trash talk is worthless. Unless it becomes real life death threats etc...but seriously its an online TXT BASED GAME!!

Ive seen my fair share of trash talk, i laugh it off because people get so worked up over a game...
I agree with this but probably the guy was upset he was getting owned in the war. I would hope trash talk is still allowed as long as it's of the "you suck lol, i own you retard" variety instead of "get on your knees you b*tch, be a good c*nt" variety.

still, though, and this isn't a complaint about bstrong, but a suggestion for the game in general: deletion is NOT the ideal punishment for vulgar language. a more fitting punishment would be to remove their in-game messaging ability for the rest of the round
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 16:56:09

The basic reaosning behind that is that vulgar language and abusive messages are ont the same thing as cheating.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 16:57:12

^^^ Great suggestion! +1 Blid.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 16:59:44

interesting blid, minus a few on that one actually.

so basically it's simple
suck it c*nt is just stupid.

"you suck lol, i own you retard" is truly offensive. "retard" is totally not cool in 2015 man

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:00:24

you totally can't say retard if i can't tell a guy he's a fluff

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:01:45

I don't know if the coding would allow that (removing in game messaging) but if it does then I agree that would be a fitting response.

It would be good were it possible to block messages from people. That way if you recieve one offensive message you could just block the person and not have to receive any more. But again, I imagine the site lacks the capacity to implement that.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 17:03:20

retard is less offensive than c*nt or get on oyur knees b*tch. even if you're approaching it from a liberal, pc standpoint, those are gendered insults which is a no-go ~

fine though, "idiot" or "moron" whatever. my point wasnt about the word retard in specific

blid

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 17:04:33

Originally posted by Furious999:
I don't know if the coding would allow that (removing in game messaging) but if it does then I agree that would be a fitting response.

It would be good were it possible to block messages from people. That way if you recieve one offensive message you could just block the person and not have to receive any more. But again, I imagine the site lacks the capacity to implement that.
I think coding will DEFINITELY allow it if they merge the forum messaging system with the in-game system - which they've been planning on for a couple years - because I think people can get squelched/banned from the forums currnetly, right? Like iccyh did to Getafix

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 17:09:23

[ Irrelevant ]

Edited By: Celphi on Feb 26th 2015, 14:55:51

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:22:35

celphi - if earth were television it's definitely showcase or hbo. this isn't sesame street man
so I'd have to disagree with the direction you're taking that

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:25:00

Originally posted by Vic:
interesting blid, minus a few on that one actually.

Does that mean you are against blid's idea, Vic?

If not, then it would be worth asking bstrong to pass it on to pang and qzjul.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:27:02

oh i missed his suggestion. ya i think that's a great one

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:27:09

i wholeheartedly support it

bepulse Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 17:33:19

Everyone time someone is butthurt in Earth, an angel gets its wings.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 17:35:21

[ Irrelevant ]

Edited By: Celphi on Feb 26th 2015, 14:53:48

tellarion Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:05:46

Originally posted by Vic:
i'm still waiting.
what rule could I possibly have violated?

Still waiting...for 4 minutes.

Originally posted by blid:
The basic reaosning behind that is that vulgar language and abusive messages are ont the same thing as cheating.

Nobody is saying it's the same as cheating. But it IS a rules violation. As far as removing their ability to send messages, that would be a nice compromise, but likely beyond qz's ability due to time constraints. There are bigger fish to fry before he adds something like that. Although an overhaul of ingame messaging would be nice....

blid

EE Patron

Jan 24th 2015, 18:08:15

I don't expect him to put in the effort to add a muting system just for things like this, but because a forums/in-game msging merger is already in the plans, I think if/once that merger takes place, this sort of punishment system could then be adopted with no problems or additional work

tellarion Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:14:11

I think that would be the best solution. Currently, our options for punishment are 1) Send a message to the player(which is actually harder than it seems), or 2) Delete. That's it.

And Vic, I just read your message. That's pretty effing offensive and I would have deleted it if I had seen it first. Trash talking is fine, but that was absolutely excessive.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:18:03

Tell, I respectfully disagree considering the context of the 2:1 retal. Granted, you have always had one of the weaker stomachs here :p

tellarion Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:19:09

Wow, thanks.

Enjoy your deletion.

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:22:37

Thanks? Was that offensive or something??

VicRattlehead Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:29:21

I think he's pointing out in a minimalist fashion that you're a whining, annoying, attention whoring little fluff?

Vic Game profile

Jan 24th 2015, 18:34:03

... says a supposedly disinterested party?
*rolls eyes*
This thread is about something specific that happened in game and there is some dispute over the subjectivity of the rule I was deleted for.
I apologize if I offended tangster, and frankly if this thread doesn't interest you move along nub