Verified:

Helmut Game profile

Jan 9th 2015, 3:33:11

I haven't played since alliances were removed, how has game play changed? how long do ya have to stay logged out to get extra turns? is the earth stats site still up? any have the link?.......thanx

h2orich Game profile

Jan 9th 2015, 3:41:52

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 9th 2015, 12:54:44

You don't have to stay logged out at all any more Helmut, in fact it is (slightly) beneficial as regards bonus turns to log in more often rather than less. Basically you will get your bonus turns whatever you do but if you do stay logged out for long enough two sets of three will have accrued so you get six all at once.

Bots have been introduced - mainly to increase the amount of land in circulation - and they are being tested out mainly on Express (although there are some in Alliance and the other servers. Currently that has created an exploit whereby you can sell any tech for $9k and the bots will buy it. Once you identify the bots you can farm them with impunity, for now they don't hit back.

Co-operative play is outlawed. No sharing spy reports or co-operating in kill runs etc.

Recovery from DR works a bit differently but not really enough so you need to adjust your play much.

A (sufficiently) reduced population now means your production goes down, gradually recovering as pop recovers.

Returns on hits and ghost acres has been tinkered with. Aiming to hit at roughly equal networths now maximises gains (together with sending enough units, although after a set is well under way the units needed to break will be enough for this purpose), the sweet spot is 95% of target's networth.

There are more, but those are the ones that come readily to mind.

Helmut Game profile

Jan 9th 2015, 15:42:25

thanx for the replies....how do you identify a bot?

Helmut Game profile

Jan 9th 2015, 15:56:05

doesn't seem that as many countries are joining GDI....why?

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 9th 2015, 16:10:48

My guess, multiple factors:

1. Avoid -10% attack gains
2. Avoid spending 16 bonus points to negate GDI
3. More non-GDI players means smaller risk of getting targeted by suiciders
4. More new players
5. Fewer suicide attacks
6. Adds greater challenge to the game to go non-GDI
7. Adds an intimidation factor (primarily to GDI-players)
8. 10 bots were added all of which are non-GDI
9. More non-GDI players induce more non-GDI suiciders to play
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 9th 2015, 16:15:19

Originally posted by Helmut:
thanx for the replies....how do you identify a bot?

It's never 100% verification, but if you open the name generator.php file, there's a ton of unique names there. Typically the names are two words. If you spy, they typically have 0 turns and 50% of their land unbuilt.

It's not guaranteed though. Because some players may devise a strategy to appear as a bot by using one of their names and punish you. Like KOH did.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Helmut Game profile

Jan 10th 2015, 21:56:08

whats the Get your local industry to generate more private market units by giving them oil.? that's new....I just noticed it...

Furious999 Game profile

Jan 10th 2015, 23:02:10

That's the newest of the new. And I've not tried it, so not the person to take advice from.

But the idea is simple enough.

You can get hold of some oil and then "sell" it within your country in exchange for a temporary increase in your private market.

So, say it is near the end of the set. You are using your private market to jump. You have stockpiled a whole bunch of oil. You get to use the oil to expand your private market and aid your jump.

Or, I suppose, it is early in the set. You are small yet. Private market is small. Oil is dirt cheap and there is a scarsity of units on the market. Same story. You buy in (or drill for) oil and use it to temporarily expand your private market. Now that 100k jets you need for the big grab are available after all. :)

No one has yet posted saying they have been using this so I think it may be too early to know if it is going to be very significant.

Maybe you will be the guinea pig?