damn.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Heston Game profile

Oct 28th 2014, 22:59:55

no. korea launch another roman candle?
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

mrford Game profile

Oct 28th 2014, 23:02:42

people dont really understand the scale of the energy numbers involved in these events. i think this perticular rocket has over 700,000 lb of thrust for nearly 4 minutes on its initial stage. that is a lot of unburnt fuel that exploded upon ground impact

edit: the Saturn V of Apollo fame had 10 times that thrust though. just think about that for a moment. loudest human creation ever apart from nuclear explosions.

Edited By: mrford on Oct 28th 2014, 23:10:02
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Oct 28th 2014, 23:03:47

a nasa antares rocket on its way to the international space station had a catastrophic failure shortly after launch
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Heston Game profile

Oct 28th 2014, 23:06:47

NASA Antares Rocket EXPLOSION - Official Footage: http://youtu.be/hSJ2kcDirEo

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 28th 2014, 23:44:25

Not good....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 13:34:16

At least it was unmanned. Would have been really bad if it had people in it.

It's a dangerous thing to send a rocket ~25,000 mph to break our atmosphere.

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 14:43:43

guess some Rocket Scientists are going to get fired. what kind of degree do i need to screw up that bad?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 14:45:02

Dibs they wont let you get near it with a tin foil hat on your head!

Trife Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 15:34:20

According to Gene Kranz in his book, Failure Is Not an Option, "When reporters asked [Alan] Shepard what he thought about as he sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff, he had replied, 'The fact that every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder.

We need to better fund NASA and space exploration...

blid

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 16:03:32

This wasn't even built by NASA
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Trife Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 16:08:33

Originally posted by blid:
This wasn't even built by NASA

Never said it was, and my comment still stands!

Trife uses deflect! It's super effective!

BladeEWG Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 16:14:24

I watched the shuttle explode...very shaking.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 16:53:19

prolly majority of nasa's budget goes on planning to send ppls on mars.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

blid

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 16:54:59

whats the point of sending anything into space?
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

mrford Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 17:03:40

you like TV, cell phones, GPS, and global communications?

i do
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Trife Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 17:09:05

whats the point of sending anything into space?

lol, one of the stupidest questions i've ever heard of or read

congrats?

mrford Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 17:13:56

nasa has also developed

velcro
memory foam
scratch resistant lenses
water filters
ear implants for the hearing impaired
grooving technologies used in our concrete runways and roadways
shoe insole technology
and hundreds of other little innovations people take for granted and dont even know the origins

necessity is the mother of invention. you need goals and deadlines to push innovation. NASA/space exploration is an extremely good, peaceful, means of creating necessity. the other popular option is war.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Newworld Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 17:25:33

pew pew pew!
pew pew pew

Oct 29th 2014, 17:54:30

just make it so that all space shots are done on the 4th of July or New Years. otherwise we going to have to start fining them for shooting off fireworks without a license. what's the orbital window for launching from Virginia? any chance that a blown mission might accidentally fall down on Washington DC? and burn up all the crazy crack addict Demoncrats?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

JIM_DANGER Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:06:48

HA! THE CELEBRATORY EXPLOSIONS HAVE BEGUN.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 20:13:33

Space exploration is one of the greatest things we, as humans, can do. What other being in the universe can explore it? It is our duty!

And what Mr. Ford said.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 20:15:58

Originally posted by mrford:
nasa has also developed

velcro
memory foam
scratch resistant lenses
water filters
shoe insole technology
and hundreds of other little innovations people take for granted and dont even know the origins

necessity is the mother of invention. you need goals and deadlines to push innovation. NASA/space exploration is an extremely good, peaceful, means of creating necessity. the other popular option is war.
sounds like a bunch of fluff to me. satellites amre meaningful obviously, the rest either is junk or could've been developed anyway. why do you need to send people to the moon or mars to develop stuff, or send people into war, why can't you just find R&D directly if that's what you want. i guarantee the return rate would be better than spending hundreds of millions of dollars on spaceships so you can get orange tang

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:16:32

In my opinion the human race needs space exploration to give us purpose and excitement.

By far the biggest challenge for the next generation or several is obviously to end war between nation states. Which perhaps means putting an end to nation states themselves. As the EU is doing.

After that tackling all the environmental issues - global warming, ozone depletion, deforestation, destroying fish stocks, whatever must come next.

Somehow not going back to a have/have not society is next. With all the problems of economic migration that come with that.

But I would put space exploration next.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:30:05

blid: humankind must goto the stars 1 day unless some1 smart figures how to prevent sun turning into supernova or before some asteroid hits earth.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

mrford Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:41:14

nasa has also developed

velcro
memory foam
scratch resistant lenses
water filters
shoe insole technology

sounds like a bunch of fluff to me. satellites amre meaningful obviously, the rest either is junk or could've been developed anyway. why do you need to send people to the moon or mars to develop stuff, or send people into war, why can't you just find R&D directly if that's what you want. i guarantee the return rate would be better than spending hundreds of millions of dollars on spaceships so you can get orange tang

this post displays an ignorance i dont even know how to tackle. you dont seem to understand inventions or product development. you need a goal for development. a task to be completed spurs invention and creative thinking. a lot of inventions are byproducts of other ventures. like i said, necessity is the mother of all invention. it doesnt work the way you are idealistically looking at it.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 20:44:10

Wow blid, just wow....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 29th 2014, 20:45:22

Ford, it could also just be that he doesn't want to agree with you because he doesn't like you!

Trife Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:46:41

a lot of inventions are byproducts of other ventures.

like the xray, penicillin, microwaves, and pacemakers.

blid seems to think that life is like civilization 5 where if you need a technology you can just choose to research it and only it from a list of available upgrades

lol, i believe blid's just trollin... or atleast hope that he/she/it is

TAN Game profile

Oct 29th 2014, 20:48:52

Originally posted by Requiem:
Ford, it could also just be that he doesn't want to agree with you because he doesn't like you!

http://i.imgur.com/YEckyPs.png
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Oct 29th 2014, 21:14:05

Originally posted by Requiem:
Space exploration is one of the greatest things we, as humans, can do. What other being in the universe can explore it? It is our duty!

And what Mr. Ford said.

work on that whole getting the thing off the planet effectively. you may explain the difference between exploring and exploding. i know dang well that NASA can do both of them. just can't tell if the idiots do it on purpose.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Goofy Game profile

Oct 30th 2014, 0:46:36

Glad blid wasn't around the Wright bros. We might not even have flight then.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2014, 1:19:06

LOL blid has to be trolling, let's just hope so for the sake of his genes that one day will be spread onto his offspring :-D
(•_•)

Viceroy Game profile

Oct 30th 2014, 1:21:43

The government is already broke... Funding another costly R&D program like the space race isn't exactly going to help fix the budget. Let the private market lead the way, at least for a while. Give this generation's Wright Bros. the legal standing and protection they need to fly their new planes.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2014, 3:21:53

haha yall think it's trolling to say "space exploration is a waste of money"? that's like a rly rly commonly held opinion. do u really think spending $500,000,000 trying to send a d00d to mars is gonna suddenly find us awash in helpful new inventions? yeah bump this thread when the next great thing comes from the mars mission or, as pointless as it is, even bump it if we actually get a guy up there........ i dont see either of those things happening in the next 20 years

ppl, there's all sorts of good shiet that gets invented by creative people or that gets made thru grants and funding. including the wright bros. first flights which makes it funny that someone is using the wright bros. as a counterexample? not to mention theres a practical purpose for flight (travel) while the purpose for flying to mars is (???)

mrford Game profile

Oct 30th 2014, 10:05:46

Swagger of a Chupacabra

Oct 31st 2014, 21:16:06

so, um, operator error? Yee Ole Itchy Tricky Finger?

hmmm, waste $500m on trying to send someone to Mars, or waste it on 5,000 mad fat cows who needs to be kept on life support because the doctors don't have a clue about eternal life?
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Junky Game profile

Oct 31st 2014, 22:01:55

Humans need to explore space to prevent greater wars.. when you stop exploring, you get bored, when you get bored you start wars instead of eating a snickers...
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Heston Game profile

Oct 31st 2014, 22:38:59

Aeorjet Rocketdyne is about 2.5 miles from my house...

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 1st 2014, 0:27:15

The argument that we are broke and shouldn't make investments in pure science and space exploration is bullfluff. There is lots of "money" and resources. Governments just print money, like Japan did today whne they increased their "quantitative easing" (ie money printing) by 25%.

The risk of the extinction of mankind is very high. The only way mankind is likely to survive as a race is by getting off this planet so that we have human colonies somewhere else.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 1st 2014, 4:16:31

that's scifi, we're not at a point, no matter how much we spend, where we're going to be colonizing space... im sure if the sun goes supernova or w/e in fifty billion years we'll have better tools to do something like that but right now it's just fantasy... we're not getting out of our solar system to one of these other potentially inhabitable planets thousands of light years away. we're just not, and we're also not in a place where we're close enough as a species to doing it that we can spend money on a space program to close that gap.

mrford Game profile

Nov 1st 2014, 4:20:27

Ah. So it is so far away we shouldn't even try? That is a good mentality for progress. Rome wasn't built in a day dude.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Viceroy Game profile

Nov 1st 2014, 4:27:09

Rome also fell, so...

I know it may be far less grandiose, but there are smaller ways to make larger improvements on everyone's collective quality of life. Instead of conquering space, maybe we should first try and conquer something like hunger or illiteracy.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Viceroy Game profile

Nov 1st 2014, 4:32:38

Also, since I recognize that adventurers just gotta explore... Why not the oceans? They play such a large role in defining our climates, yet we know so very little about them.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 1st 2014, 6:37:25

The stars are far away. The research required to reach them is a huge task. But we are researching arcologies, hibernation and life extension. We need better energy sources and probably some fundamental breakthroughs in physics. We need to keep investing in better technology for space stations, rockets, planetary shuttles, etc.

Because the task is large and difficult doesn't mean we can't do it if we keep working on it for the next 100 years. But if we sit back and don't invest in these technologies we won't succeed. We are more and more likely to go through a disaster that sets us back to the stone age, whether its a nuclear war, a plague (natural or manmade) or a disaster like an asteroid hit.

macmd Game profile

Nov 2nd 2014, 3:24:15

Originally posted by Getafix:
The stars are far away. The research required to reach them is a huge task. But we are researching arcologies, hibernation and life extension. We need better energy sources and probably some fundamental breakthroughs in physics. We need to keep investing in better technology for space stations, rockets, planetary shuttles, etc.

Because the task is large and difficult doesn't mean we can't do it if we keep working on it for the next 100 years. But if we sit back and don't invest in these technologies we won't succeed. We are more and more likely to go through a disaster that sets us back to the stone age, whether its a nuclear war, a plague (natural or manmade) or a disaster like an asteroid hit.

Yup. And there will be significant incremental technological improvements along the way that improve the quality of life for people worldwide, in the same way that satellites, etc. listed above did. Space seemed like folly until we got there and figured out ways that we put it to use for people down here.

Viceroy Game profile

Nov 2nd 2014, 4:16:14

So incremental advances in technology (or say, our understanding of climate change) wouldn't occur if we actually took the time necessary to learn a thing or two about our oceans?

We shouldn't neglect our own planet just because twinkling stars are shinier objects.

Nov 2nd 2014, 16:37:02

blid, i disagree. i saw this amazing scientific documentary about science in Montreal last weekend. they were working on devices to transmit matter through space. worked pretty good except for a few bugs, flies actually. it was called "Return of The Fly".
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

mrford Game profile

Nov 2nd 2014, 16:40:25

Originally posted by Viceroy:
So incremental advances in technology (or say, our understanding of climate change) wouldn't occur if we actually took the time necessary to learn a thing or two about our oceans?

We shouldn't neglect our own planet just because twinkling stars are shinier objects.

Lol you want world peace and the end of hunger before we go to space again?

Who is neglecting the earth? I'm pretty sure the ratio of enviromantal and humanitarian to space funding is lopsided far in favor of the planet. NaSA's budget is less than 18bill. How much do we give to africa? NOAA's budget is over 5 bill I think. What about the EPA? I'm not sure what your goal here is.

Edited By: mrford on Nov 2nd 2014, 16:45:31
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Viceroy Game profile

Nov 2nd 2014, 20:34:06

My goal is to have a government that doesn't go bankrupt, for starters. I still have zero faith that I will ever see any Social Security benefits. While I am a fiscal conservative, I also recognize that the government does play a role in research and technological advancements. What I want to see is a smart investment. Let's get some bang for our buck. Quite frankly, while space is the future (the far far out future), there are a lot more significant advances that we are far closer to achieving in other fields. Sorry, but I would rather search for a cure for cancer and AIDS than search for ET. If that makes me a heartless bastard, then so be it.

However, an important question remains... Why does it always have to be the Government that saves the day? Rather than funding, let's see some government action taken to make it less cumbersome for businesses and private ventures to enter into the so called space race.