Verified:

downsay Game profile

Jul 21st 2014, 20:03:09

Do you think one of the above teams are going to win the NBA championship next year?

What are your predictions?

How have the trades/draft/off-season signings shaken the league to reshape the divisions?

Twain Game profile

Jul 22nd 2014, 2:57:34

I'm shocked you have the Heat in that list.

The Heat should still be a good team, but I think they'll be battling for the 4 seed in the East with teams like Atlanta and Washington. Deng's about as good of a replacement as was available for Lebron, but obviously no one can replace Lebron. It'll be interesting to see how they do, because Bosh is going to have to be a star player again instead of simply a stretch 4 (or stretch 5, for that matter) as he was being used as while Lebron was there, and Wade will have to stay healthy.

Cleveland will likely have some growing pains as Kyrie and Lebron learn to play together, and of course as of now, their other key players are mostly young (Bennett, Wiggins). If they get Love, the big question will be how quickly they can form some chemistry and whether they have the players to defend enough to not have to score 100 every night, but with Love, Irving and LBJ, scoring 100 a night shouldn't be too tough to do.

The Bulls hinge entirely on Rose's health, but they've added a better 2nd option in Gasol to replace the amnestied Boozer, they've still got defensive beast and fringe MVP candidate Joakim Noah, and they still have Gibson and Butler, who continue to get better and better, and they've kept most of last year's bench depth, while adding even more with rookies Doug McDermott and Nikola Mirotic (considered to be good enough that even in this year's very strong draft he would've been a top 5 pick), and of course Aaron Brooks to add depth at PG/SG. Rose doesn't need to be 100% back to his MVP form to begin the season, but they need him to work into form while the team builds chemistry finding roles for their new players. Also, they've probably got the best coach in the Eastern Conference in Thibs.

Lastly, Indiana should be better than the Heat. I think they'll be a bit diminished without Stephenson, and with Hibbert on the trading block, with how fragile his psyche seems to be, they either need to find a way to build him back up or they need to dump him, and I doubt they'll get fair value out of him given how he fell apart last season. Even still, Indiana's got a deep roster and a superstar in Paul George and could very well win the East's top seed again next year.

I don't see how the Heat are ahead of any of those other three teams.

In the West, there's so many powerful teams that the real question is: Can the Spurs, who are obviously still quite dependent on a core of aging players in Parker/Ginobili/Duncan, actually sustain playing through another full season and off season after a year where they had all those extra games from winning the championship. The Spurs have the best coach in the NBA and he's willing to rest his guys, so perhaps they can, but I don't think it's coincidence that the Spurs have failed to go back-to-back in any of their chances recently.

And the Rockets, as good as they are, I just don't think they have the type of players who take you to a championship. Dwight Howard is arguably the best center in the game just because of his natural talent, but it doesn't seem like he ever adds anything to his game or gets any better. James Harden's a damn good SG, but I think he's the type of player that if a defense actually keys on him, he can be pressured into bad shots a lot more easily than many other top stars in the game. He's shot under 40% from the field in the last two postseasons with Houston as the first option, and while Trevor Ariza is a nice pickup, since they lost Chandler Parsons, that's about a push in my opinion, and possibly a loss overall, since Chandler Parsons was already used to playing with this team, and Ariza's going to have to come in and develop his role.

If I had to pick one individual team to win it, I might pick the Spurs or Cavs, but if you're giving me the field or those four teams, I'd take the field. With the Pacers and Bulls in the East and Portland, OKC, and even Golden State out West, I think it's actually a fairly reasonable assertion that none of these four teams you've listed even make an appearance in the Finals.

As far as the last question, clearly the Lebron signing shakes up things the most, but I think Bosh going back to Miami instead of signing with Houston really kind of shook up things as well. It maintains the Heat as still a pretty good team in the East, and also Houston ended up weaker because of the reasons already stated above. They could've been considered the "paper champions" if they could've signed Bosh and kept Parsons.

The thing is: Everyone's down on the East, but I think the few top teams in the East can compete with anyone in the West. I think once you get past the top tier of East teams though, the drop off is significant. Phoenix and Minnesota probably could've been as high as the 4 or 5 seed in the East this past year, but instead they missed the playoffs. I don't think that part is going to change, even if a team like the Bulls, Cavs, or Pacers could conceivably keep up with and possibly beat a team like OKC or San Antonio.

Anyway, that's a really long post to answer your questions. Since you posed the questions, what do you think?

mrford Game profile

Jul 22nd 2014, 14:54:30

Charlotte

Hornets

/thread
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Twain Game profile

Jul 22nd 2014, 18:30:20

And when you answer Hornets, what's the question?

What team is likely to win about 30 games and finish 11th in the East?

mrford Game profile

Jul 22nd 2014, 19:08:33

you really think the hornets are worse than they were last year? i understand the east is stronger, but the hornets got stronger as well. much stronger.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

flgatorboy89 Game profile

Jul 23rd 2014, 4:44:07

Heat all the way. PERIOD
Jon
ZT, SoL

<jon> off to bed fluffbeater :p
<mrford> i dont beat fluffs
<mrford> i eat them
<mrford> gosh
<jon> well, fluffeater
<Kat> oookay....

Twain Game profile

Jul 23rd 2014, 18:49:44

Actually, I forgot about the signing of Stephenson. Depending on how he handles being a much larger part of the offense and whether he can be consistent in that role, the Hornets actually could be quite improved. My initial statement was probably a bit harsh for where they'll really be.

I think Stephenson will at least be worthy of "star" status in a more featured role, but I'm not sure if year one will be when that truly happens.

And also, I didn't take into account some of the teams that are probably a bit weaker. Brooklyn lost Pierce and generally has a bunch of players that seem to be on the wrong side of their peak (even Deron Williams, who is relatively young, just seems like he's on the downslope of his career).

The East will be the more intriguing conference. It seems like everyone was tanking for picks this past year. I think Atlanta is far closer to the team that took Indiana to 7 games than it is the team that couldn't manage to even break the .500 mark.

So I guess I'd put Chicago, Indiana, Cleveland, and Miami as the top four, and I'd probably guess that Washington and Toronto will be better than Charlotte. I think Charlotte's probably in the next group that I don't know what to do with, including Atlanta and New York. I think Brooklyn will probably fall out of the playoffs, and I don't see any of the other non-playoff teams from last year (Det, Bos, Phi, Orl, Mil) making that much of a step forward to beat Charlotte.

So I was probably a bit harsh. If I had to actually put numbers on things, I'd put an over/under at about 38 or 39 wins, and I'd guess they'll be right on the edge of playoff contention, somewhere in the 8th-10th range for the East.

That's based on Lance giving them a little more firepower, but the East overall playing better and the fact that there's much more depth in the East, even though there don't seem to be any true powerhouse teams.

vettiv Game profile

Jul 29th 2014, 20:21:31

Count the Houston Rockets out. Too many losses from their team and not one of them has been replaced.

mrford Game profile

Jul 29th 2014, 23:21:11

I'm going to TTT this in April twain. Just wait!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Twain Game profile

Aug 3rd 2014, 14:45:49

I look forward to you showing us all just how right I was. ;)

mrford Game profile

Aug 3rd 2014, 20:56:26

fluff please!

you still think them pacers are a top team in the east? i dont think they allow mobility scooters in the NBA
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Twain Game profile

Aug 3rd 2014, 21:15:08

That's true. That does change things a bit. I guess it's possible based on their defense that they could slink in as being as high as the 4th seed, but I don't see how they compete with Cleveland, Chicago and Miami. And in fact, I think they'll be sort of like last year's Bulls team, which played great defense but had no offensive punch, which obviously failed for Chicago in the playoffs once teams had time to gameplan specifically on how to shut down the Bulls.

If I had to guess, I'd probably drop the Pacers down towards the bottom of the playoffs. I'd put Toronto and Washington ahead of them, and I'd put them in the group with Charlotte, Atlanta, and NY.

So ultimately, I guess I'm picking that one of: Charlotte, Indiana, Atlanta, and NY misses the playoffs, with Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, and Washington being the other 5 teams in.

I'll be a bit surprised if they 8 playoff teams aren't among those 9.

downsay Game profile

Aug 9th 2014, 12:14:57

Twain, sorry I forgot I posted this thread as it was really more a bonus post. I'll give a thoughtful response a bit later today, hopefully.

Awesome responses, btw

downsay Game profile

Aug 20th 2014, 17:23:32

reminder to myself to come back and post here...

Twain Game profile

Sep 28th 2014, 20:05:30

ford: ESPN seems to have your back with Charlotte.

They've got Charlotte 13th overall, 5th best in the East, and actually two spots ahead of Miami.

downsay Game profile

Oct 8th 2014, 10:44:08

With each move the cavaliers make I'm more surprised they are able to get it done. Seems like a different front office than what happened when lebron was in Cleveland the first stint.

Twain Game profile

Oct 12th 2014, 13:06:40

One of the biggest differences I'd say has to do with the fact that LeBron has shown he can win a championship now and that he's presumably committed to staying in Cleveland for awhile.