Verified:

Buch Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 13:52:01

I usually aways bow hunt but I just got drawn for a wolf hunt and am looking to buy new rifle what brands are best I have been looking at weatherby vanguard series 2 in a .270 any other suggestions

Edited By: Buch on Oct 3rd 2014, 13:56:53
See Original Post

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 14:14:54

Paging mrford
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 14:42:17

You need to decide what cartridge you want to shoot then go and hold a bunch of them. If you are a member of a hunt club like I assume then shoot some of your buddies. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Things like safety location, stock shape, scope position, the smoothness of the action, personal preference homie.

I think the .270 is a good round, I have both a Remington .270 and a winchester 7mag as my primary hunting rifles. I can admit I don't use the 7mag much, it is a bit overkill for deer and vermin lol.

I can answer any more specific questions you have if I have knowlage of the weapon, but quality hunting rifles are all about personal preference imo. Handle and/or shoot as many as you can and read a lot of reviews once you narrow it down to a couple. Remington, winchester, Weatherby, they all make good guns.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

BUTTMAN Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 14:44:31

to clarify, please don't shoot your buddies.

I have nothing else to add, except congrats on the draw! Lottery?

Buch Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:02:14

.270 is what I'm thinking my ideal shot will be some where around the 200 yard range ideally.... But we all know how well that works. And I'm open to other calibers as well but I want something multi purpose that won't obliterate the wolves pelt and from what I looked at the .270 fits that
I was planning on shopping around getting the feel for them like you said but was just interested in what rifles other people like to get an idea

Yes its Minnesota's lottery 3600 get drawn for a 220 wolf quota split into two seasons we applied and drew for the late season it starts Nov.29

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:04:25

Oh, and some rifles are a lot more sensitive and/or picky about ammo loads and brands than others. But when you get down to that you are talking about groupings at range. Not really an issue with cold bore shots usually taken while hunting. As long as you are confer table with the gun, everything else can be corrected.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:08:09

I have a Remington 700 in .270 winchester. My buddy has a marlin .270, maybe it's called an XL7? I can't remember. Both are fantastic versions of a solid .270.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Buch Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:13:57

What about .243 how does that compare that's on the lower end of recommended rounds according to dnr and Minnesota's regs for big game are .220 cal or bigger center fire for rifles so are there any others really besides .243 .270...... I think .223 is to light and same for 22-250 and I think its hard to find rounds for either that arnt varmit rounds and every thing I read says varmit rounds don't get enough penetration on a wolf

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:27:24

I wouldn't really go below a .270

Round availability amd price is a limiting factor, that you touched on. A .223 has the muzzle velocity to do some.damage but you are right, it is lacking in the grains department.

If you are hunting wolf I would want a .270. It is one of the best all around hunting rounds, and imo is only surpassed by a .308 or 7 mag. Personally I wouldn't go any smaller, but like I said. Personal preference.

Remington 700
Winchester 70
Savage Arms (don't recall model)
Ruger M77
Marlin XL7

All spectacular hunting systems. Personal preference is key though. Play with it before you pay for it!

Swagger of a Chupacabra

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 15:30:27

I have also never hunted wolves, so this might be more help than me

https://www.huntwolves.com/...ifles-for-hunting-wolves/
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Heston Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:44:42

My uncle uses a rem 700 270 with an unrifled barrel to shoot reintroduced wolves on his farm in southern idaho. (Illegal)

Never buy a savage. I built one and it is a fluffing pile of fluff. Upgrades are cheap but you get what you pay for. 700 and m77 are great.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 17:01:22

Also, some feature considerations you should make for your environment. Is it going to be cold weather? Will you be wearing large gloves?

Things like a larger trigger guard and bigger bolt handle for glove usage is something to think about. Also, so.e cold weather packages come with a fluted or groved bolt that is resistant to being stick frozen. Less surface area to freeze. If you are going to be stalk hunting you want a polymer stock for light weight, if you are blind hunting it isn't an issue.

But then again, all this plays into personal preference.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Buch Game profile

Oct 5th 2014, 17:51:01

Don't really know how we are going about it... Probably electronic calls and we were thinking baiting with dead iso-ween pigs but I got the regs today and the state ruined that plan you can place dead agricultural animals on public land even if they are removed every day :(

And it will be in the teens for temp I assume mabe a touch below zero hard to say what the Minny winter will do plan on getting good pair of shooting gloves

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Oct 5th 2014, 18:15:12

tiz a bit funny that when i imagine people going hunting they tend to move around a bit more than somebody laying out some bait and waiting for something to fall into their trap.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

Buch Game profile

Oct 5th 2014, 18:36:13

To thickly wooded where we are to spot and stalk otherwise that would be our main choice and its not quite as easy as putting out bait and they walk right it you have to find areas where they are and wolves are very mobile covering large ranges so don't worry there will be plenty of work involved in trying to get one.....

Trife Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 5:20:10

anything under .50 cal is a girly ass gun

Heston Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 5:39:40

Worlds Largest Caliber Rifle In Action 905: http://youtu.be/8WiLqPB4lU0
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 6th 2014, 6:08:08

Originally posted by Heston:
Worlds Largest Caliber Rifle In Action 905: http://youtu.be/8WiLqPB4lU0

Good God!!! LOL I was waiting for someone's arm to fall off hahaha
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Little Joker Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 6:28:47

I have owned two rifles and both have been Remington. So I would highly recommend them.

Buch Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 19:40:54

I would like the wolf to stay intact trife

Trife Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 19:52:57

Originally posted by Buch:
I would like the wolf to stay intact trife

well, with a .50 cal, the meat that you are able to find would already be pre-tenderized for you!

Boltar Game profile

Oct 6th 2014, 19:58:46

my uncle sometimes goes out of state to hunt with his rifle, he uses a 300 mag, seemed like a good gun without doing too much investigating