Verified:

zygotic Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 16:42:26

There's a bit of an urban myth here in the UK that a petrol engined car is only good for about 100k miles and after that it's only a matter of time before it dies.
My car has done 113k and I wondered if the 100k is really true as I'm in 2 minds about if I should be another 2nd hand car ( which is bound to have issues that I won't know about at the time) or has my car got plenty of life left in it

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 21st 2014, 17:38:12

Depends on make, model, year and a whole lot of other factors really, maintenance being very important, I had an 83 BMW 320i back In early 90s that had 340k miles on it, still ran like a champ, I was second owner, on other side of coin, my sister was second owner to a 6 year old car with 70k miles, it was a mercury sable, the tranny went @ 72k miles.

Lots of variables, lots of them...
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 21st 2014, 17:41:21

My dad had a Buick skylark he drove back and forth to work like 15 years ago and he put 300k miles on it. Prob 95% highway miles.

bstrong86 Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 17:46:47

We had a 96' cavalier with 240k miles, it was still getting around pretty goood when we finally decided to trade in and get a new vehicle. Its all about how well you maintane your vehicle. Things are bound to happen. Just have to fix as you go.
The Death Knights

XI

Trife Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 18:12:22

my honda civic is at 235k+ and still going strong

and it laughs at your funny KMs and petrol

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 18:16:19

check to make sure that the frame is still intact and structurally sound. at 113k you probably already done replaced everything that may need replacing. worry about it if the engine or tranny needs replacing, then do a cost benefit analysis.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

mrford Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 18:26:33

There are so many variables involved in this that it is pretty much impossible to give a general answer.

I have had a tyranny blow at 60k miles, and I have worked on cars with over 400k miles. There are so many parts in a car and any of them can have a manufacturing defect. Or, the owner can neglect routine matinaince and take a normally reliable car to fluff town really fast. There isn't really a predetermined expiration date, or a reliability cliff.

Modern cars should see 200k miles easy as long as you take good care of them. There are exceptions, but as long as you take care of routine matinaince and address small problems before they become big problems, your car can last as long as you want it to. The exception being models with known design flaws and reliability issues.

I have a 1989 GM 1500 with 270k miles on it, it is my tow truck. I have had to replace the head gasket and various accesories, along with some performance upgrades here and there, but the truck still runs strong and that 4L60E tyranny shifts butter smooth still. Matinaince.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 18:52:09

A good way to be proactive is get your hands on the TSBs (technical service bulletins) and service intervals for your car or truck. They are issued by manufacturers and concern common problems and solutions for things ranging from odd rattles to early component failure.

Then keep an eye on your specific vehicle for these problems. Change things like brake and transmission fluids and coolent. There are flush intervals for every fluid in a car, and inexpensive ways of testing these fluids yourself. You would be suprised how much longer you can prolong the life of your car with a little proactiveness and basic knowlage. You don't have to be a mechanic, just well informed.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

zygotic Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 20:42:59

Thanks guys. My car is a Renault Megan 1.6
I had a terrible car before I sold it at 106k miles as I'd had the gear box rebuilt twice and started to hear the gearbox going again that was a Nissan primera. I think I'm going on keep the Megane as it's not really let me down yet although the garage informed me that the clonking noise I hear is the cv joint and my cv joints are part of the drive shaft so I would need a new drive shaft

mrford Game profile

Sep 21st 2014, 22:20:22

if you have the internet and patience you can replace those CV axles yourself in an afternoon! they are usually $100-$200 per side depending on the car. some instructions will say that you have to replace the transmission fluid if you replace the driver or passenger side, but i have bypassed that mandate a couple of times. i know nothing about Renault though.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

flgatorboy89 Game profile

Sep 22nd 2014, 0:22:35

I love working on my trucks, so they rarely break down, have a 98 Dodge Dakota, just replaced the upper ball joint, atleast only cost $32 from new auto parts store called O'Reillys , guess its a western us company thats moving here in the east, they are eager to out sell autoZone and adcance auto they even gave me a commercial account which gives nice discounts
Jon
ZT, SoL

<jon> off to bed fluffbeater :p
<mrford> i dont beat fluffs
<mrford> i eat them
<mrford> gosh
<jon> well, fluffeater
<Kat> oookay....

Pain Game profile

Sep 22nd 2014, 1:00:42

Originally posted by zygotic:
Thanks guys. My car is a Renault Megan 1.6
I had a terrible car before I sold it at 106k miles as I'd had the gear box rebuilt twice and started to hear the gearbox going again that was a Nissan primera. I think I'm going on keep the Megane as it's not really let me down yet although the garage informed me that the clonking noise I hear is the cv joint and my cv joints are part of the drive shaft so I would need a new drive shaft

cv joints are not typically replaced, usually you replace the whole axle. looks like you can buy an entire replacement cv axle (driveshaft) for $45 euro each side for that car. dont think you need to buy a new car over $90 worth of parts.
Your mother is a nice woman

yylim80sss Game profile

Sep 22nd 2014, 1:10:08

My Honda accord '00 is at 245k and running good. No problem with the car nor MOT whatsoever...still going strong..mileage consumption is low....it's true that what kind of car you own....

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2014, 2:12:38

I have a 99 Accord.. pretty good for an old car. mechanically pretty reliable but rust is a problem with all the salt here in Nova Scotia.