Verified:

p1co Game profile

Aug 1st 2014, 2:58:59

Tech is a tough strategy to play (my first time trying.) For those of you that use it, what do you do in terms of your military?

After finding out that turrets alone won't save me after getting 25+ tank barrages .. I've had to spend a considerable amount of money on tanks.

Any advice?

eManny Game profile

Aug 1st 2014, 4:06:43

1. Join GDI (too late this reset, better luck next time!)
2. Don't multi-tap
3. Build only Labs and construction sites (for you maybe around 260-280 CS rest labs)
4. Your NW should be at least 50% military
5. Research weapons tech
Edit: 6. Yes 5-10% of buildings should be industrial and set production to 100% spies. You do not need 10% if you rarely attack and spy on others. 10% will land you a ridiculous SPAL by set's end virtually destroying your economy as a small country. Only active attackers go 10-12% indies.
Edit 7: 3 Tech allies as oldman was saying, but those who actually do research, not those who leach :P

That should help.

Edited By: eManny on Aug 3rd 2014, 17:22:51
See Original Post

UpTheIrons Game profile

Aug 1st 2014, 13:18:42

Don't forget some Indies for spies, or just find a fool that over does that part and make sure to ally with him!

Marshal Game profile

Aug 1st 2014, 13:28:12

0 spal country just begs to get stuffs stolen.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

SethMosrite Game profile

Aug 1st 2014, 14:47:55

p1co, I play techer frequently, it can be frustrating but it can also be a great strat.

- you have to join GDI, it should be the very first thing you do
- first starting out I would suggest Theocracy for your government type
switching to Theo should be the 2nd thing you do
- as a beginner don't worry about a farmer or indy startup, just build
construction sites and labs, 10% of your land should be indy's , set your
production to 100% spies.
- explore and build to atleast 2k+ acres, when you need cash tech the highest
selling tech (usually bus/res at the beginning) and sell. Use the cash to fund
your building and buy bushels and turrets. The only military you need is turrets.

That should atleast get you started, try to tech only when you are fully built,
meaning you don't have a lot of empty acres. Tech whatever is selling well and
weapons tech for yourself. Find other tech allies. After about a week or so
when you are making good money you can buy jets and oil and start grabbing.
I won't get into stock/destock here. Good luck! Keep asking question if you need
help, many of us are happy to give advice.

Cannon Game profile

Aug 2nd 2014, 5:25:44

Cant stress these points enough

*join GDI first thing
*do NOT double tap unless you can outrun the country (This means you can focus your defense on turrets and not worry about SDI)
*10% indies set to all spies. 0 SPAL is asking for it

I usually get up to 70 bpt as a techer and explore to 4K. Just my personal preference. And as a new techer Seth is right, Theo is the way to go. I like to go Demo for various reasons, mostly stocking and market commissions.

oldman Game profile

Aug 2nd 2014, 7:00:06

I can't believe nobody mentioned anything about getting 3 tech allies yet!

p1co Game profile

Aug 3rd 2014, 23:05:05

Thanks for all the input! I was honestly having difficulty joining GDI because I couldn't ever select it on the bonus screen, even when I haven't attacked or been attacked. Is there a time frame that the option remains open?

What is SPAL?

What is double-tap? Hitting the same country twice?

Regarding construction sites, at which point do I stop? I read a guide on tech strategy and it called for 80 construction sites, which is 35 building/turn.

Do construction sites do anything else besides increasing the amount of buildings I can build/turn?

From what I currently understand, tech strategy does not necessarily call for that much land, wouldn't those turns be better used to generate tech that I can sell?

eManny Game profile

Aug 3rd 2014, 23:20:43

SPAL = Spies per acre of land. It is the measure of spy network strength. Depending on playstyle but I would say 15-25SPAL is optimal for growth, SPAL > 50 is great for warring countries or guys who want to ward-off attackers at the expense of economy. For example a 5000acre country with 100,000spies has a 20SPAL.

Double-tap = hit same country twice, bad idea because it breaks gdi protection

Construction sites = definitely not 80. The guide was probably saying 80 BPT or buildings per turn. However, when you're new you will not reach a high enough land mass to make 80BPT worthwhile. Start with 50, and when you get better in next seasons you can go up to 80bpt.

And finally yes, as a techer you don't want to waste too many turns exploring, building, spying or attacking. That's why you have to have an optimal number of construction sites, theocracy definitely helps, and a decent SPAL does too. Stop exploring at around 5000acres, then make 1 attack per day at around 1/3 of your NW range. That's a good newb-strat for techers ;). This way you dont hit guys that can hit you back, and you don't waste many turns spying/attacking/exploring and can focus on tech-ing.