Verified:

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jul 3rd 2014, 2:32:52

Let's all share what we do, if you want.
In your post tell the cons and pros of your job and why you choose it! Please don't flame gang. :)

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

braden Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 2:40:48

i work landscape construction.

pros: it saves me the cost of a gym membership.

cons: i smoke four thousand cigarettes a day, it fuels and pays for my alcoholism, and my hip flexors are sore as fluffing fluff.

i didn't choose it, i was forced into it after high school because i needed to pay rent.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 3rd 2014, 2:47:54

Originally posted by galleri:
Let's all share what we do

You fail at your own thread!

braden Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 2:48:43

but you also failed at her thread, so same boat?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 3rd 2014, 2:53:57

No, its not my thread! Different boat :)

braden Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 3:05:24

ok, different boats but same law of buoyancy

Trife Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 3:08:58

i troll AT, mainly goading republicans, intolerant christians, tea partiers and those with IQs less than 60

also enjoy inflaming a good abortion or gun rights thread

pros: the lulz

cons: the morons i come accross

pay: decent, allows me to live comfortably - im sponsored by blood pressure medication companies

did i do that right?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 3rd 2014, 3:09:16

I haven't posted yet, I am cooking dinner!!! :P

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 3rd 2014, 3:23:09

Ok so....
I am a pro genealogist and I do work for ancestry from home.
Pros: you learn a lot about history and people that you would have never known before and you learn a lot of interesting facts and tidbits
Cons: Never a steady pay. You sometimes cannot find the records you are looking for. Sometimes you find out info you wish you never had found out ;)

I work outside my home as a bartender and occasionally server if they need me to fill in.
Pro: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!!!!! Did I mention money? You meet interesting people, learn new things from those people. Sometimes you meet a earthempires player ;) Wulf from MD came in one day, but I was actually serving that day.
Cons: Dealing with the human race. You meet the ultimate assholes. And sometimes you deal with idiot servers and managers.

braden Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 4:05:35

Originally posted by Trife:
i troll AT, mainly goading republicans, intolerant christians, tea partiers and those with IQs less than 60

also enjoy inflaming a good abortion or gun rights thread

pros: the lulz

cons: the morons i come accross

pay: decent, allows me to live comfortably - im sponsored by blood pressure medication companies

did i do that right?

let me paraphrase: hi, i'm trife! i claim tolerance but am wholly intolerant. i support the death of men and women just so i can claim some facade of integrity by my belief that rich white men should pay for poor black womens murdering children. aren't enough children killed by black people, already?

oh, wait, that stopped being trife

[did i do right?:P]

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 3rd 2014, 4:08:14

I do believe I said no flaming. You all are fluffing fluff up.

braden Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 4:18:27

i blame trife. i thought he was asking a serious question

she says while having the power to delete us both.. ;)

alexbajd Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 6:00:20

I am a Deputy District Attorney. My job is to put bad people away, sometimes for a long, long time.

Pro: You actually assist people who are the victims of crime. Although you can't undo what has happened, you can help people achieve closure as well as help them feel that justice has been done. And, although I will never get rich from this job, the salary is nice.

Con: Sometimes the responsibility is heavy -- making sure (as best you can) that you never fluff up is a constant concern. Also, dealing with the riff-raff on a daily basis can make you sour if you're not careful.

Overall: A great career. Maybe not quite as good as professional suntanner in Hawaii, but probably a close second. :)
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.

Tokyousr Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 6:03:45

middle to highschool era - selling weed
pros - FREE WEED
cons - NONE that i am aware of :p

20's - gambling degenerate aka grinding a poker life
pros - FREEDOM
cons - money loses all value.

current(32) - Foreign Sales Rep.
im working for a company that manufactures golf equip.
pros - i get to travel all over Asia
cons - i miss the poker life

-tokyo

Twiz Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 6:50:14

Weeeeeeee

I am a Interpreter for a historic site from about May - August. Then I head back to uni in the fall.

Pros: I get to meet tons of people from all over the world. Flexible work schedule. I am outside for 8 hours a day wearing a traditional buckskin teaching people about the First Nations. EI.

Cons: That buckskin makes 40 degree Celsius weather feel like 50. Low hourly wage.

Overall I would have a dream job if it paid more. I do really love working where I work for the most part because I take pride in teaching people about my culture.

Angel1 Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 10:18:42

I am a Shift Supervisor for a major US retail pharmacy company.

Pros: It's good management experience. Helping customers find solutions to their problems can be rewarding. There's some flexibility in the schedule.

Cons: Underpaid, overworked, understaffed. The company I work for expects us to produce results, but can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that we need more labor hours to produce those results. It's a catch 22, they won't give us more hours because we can't produce results because they won't give us more hours.

Overall, I'd advise people to stay away or to take the job for the short term with a plan to get the heck out as quickly as possible. This is a company (and no, I can't tell you who it is) that is headed for big problems with employees leaving and people refusing to work for them.
-Angel1

bstrong86 Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 10:43:29

Construction/roofing and re model.

Pro's: i make decent money now. Twice as much as i did with my previous company. Always some where new, something different. Hours are short at this company

Con's: no sicktime, holiday pay,or vacation. I dont hit over 30. So.my.double the pay evens out in the end.

Overall: i'd rather go back to commercial lawn maintenance, but i cant beat the pay and hrs.
The Death Knights

XI

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 3rd 2014, 12:54:39

By trade I'm a network engineer and computer systems engineer. Currently, I'm out on disability due to factors beyond my control.

Mostly it's good solid work, you can make a lot of money, and you get ample time to travel and meet new and interesting people and help solve their problems.

cons: You travel a lot, so you live out of a suitcase and hotel rooms, hardly ever home.

Other than that, it's a great job.

So, right now, I work from home and do remote consulting on network architecture and computer system management.

I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Colonel Chaos Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 13:17:07

I'm a Cellular/Molecular biologist for a major pharma company. I get to validate or invalidate other scientists cutting edge experiments and innovations... basically scientifically validating if it will work or not work... how and why.

Pros: I get to play with new cutting edge science (CRISPR, encoded DNA libraries, RNAi, patient derived stem cells, capillary protein gel/blotting, high content screening, etc for those in the field). I work for pharma so my paycheck is sufficient. I love what I do... it's really interesting and is always changing.

Cons: None really... other that dealing with fluff scientists who are too stupid or too pig headed to realize their bright Harvard PhD ideas make no sense in the real world...
Colonel Chaos
SOL FR Commander

irc.scourge.se -> #solfr
--------------------
“Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.”
― Isaac Newton

crysk Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 13:33:12

I'm a paralegal for a law firm with 3 female attorneys (main focus is bankruptcy and family law). I manage their work life. I pretty much do everything an attorney does minus my signature on everything. I'm also the one clients talk to 90% of the time.

Pros: I like my job! Not very many people can say that. I'm good at it too! I get to use my knowledge of the law to better peoples lives. You see your hard work making a difference for someone. I get to manage my own time while in the office. Pay is good. Time off is super lax. The work stays at work (super important for the cons below!)

Cons: Crazy attorneys. All attorneys have some sort of crazy, being a woman managing 3 women brings a little more crazy to the table (Sorry alexbajd..I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about...crazy attorney!!!!) The job can be stressful at times, especially when crap happens (whether or not YOU did it) it's always your fault. While pay is good, it could be better for the amount of work I do.

juice Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 14:07:46

I'm a Network Engineer. More specifically, a Network Platforms Test Engineer. When Cisco or Juniper come out with a new operating system for their routers, I get to test it out to find the bugs and make them fix those bugs. Once all the bugs are fixed and verified, the new OS gets sent to the production team.

Pros: flexible hours (I work any hours I want between 7am and 7pm Mon - Fri); I don't work overtime at all; the pay is the best I have ever made; My boss doesn't care about my time or clothes or when I take days off, he just cares that I produce results; I get to switch from one project to another a couple times each year, thus learning new things, and since I'm testing new technologies, I get to see what's coming next.

Cons: My job is located 2 hours from home, so I live away from my family during the week and return on the weekends (Hoping to get access to work from home someday). I'm a contractor, so I don't get holiday or vacation pay.

juice Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 14:08:59

Originally posted by Trife:

umm...aren't those all the same?

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 14:24:03

I am a sales director for a cloud based business reporting software.

Pros: Feels like a dotcom startup of the late 90's, free food, free health/dental/vision insurance, fun environment, free beer at the office. I work from home 3-4 days a week, sometimes all week. I travel to various places around the US on business, which I love. The culture is unbeatable. Lots of pre-IPO stock options, which I expect to make a killing off of. I was the top salesman for the company in 2013 and they sent me on an all expenses paid trip to cancun with a +1.

Cons: Challenging sales, with attainable but difficult goals. Constant change and frequently altering the course. Lots of travel for training and new workshops. That's all I can think of... love this company.

Arkuss Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 15:51:47

University Student
Pro: Good career after
Con: fluff exams

Chrysler Canada - Assembly Worker - Part time
Pro: Damn good money. $24/hour
Con: Right side of my body is now useless. Tendonitis + Epicondylitis in my right arm. Right knee blew out. Both knees have inflammation issues.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 3rd 2014, 17:24:54

Originally posted by Arkuss:
University Student
Pro: Good career after
Con: fluff exams

Chrysler Canada - Assembly Worker - Part time
Pro: Damn good money. $24/hour
Con: Right side of my body is now useless. Tendonitis + Epicondylitis in my right arm. Right knee blew out. Both knees have inflammation issues.

Oh damn Arkuss that sucks. My husband is Soviet (doesn't play anymore) works for KIA manufacturing on the door line making KIA optimas, sorrentos and Hyundai Santa Fe's.... and yeah the money is awesome and so is the benefits, hoping his body doesn't give out like that :(

Arkuss Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 18:01:58

If the door line at KIA is the same at Chrysler then he should be ok. It's mostly small parts and screws. Carpul Tunnel is a big concern though.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 3rd 2014, 18:57:11

Awww Soviet's carpel tunnel was finally starting to clear up after he started dating Galleri. Sucks if he gets it back from work :(

As for me, it's no secret that I'm a Software developer/designer. I build a SAAS platform alongside a team of amazing people and we're the market leader in our field.

Pros: Great work environment + job satisfaction + pay + stock options. Oh, and craft beers + watching sports in the board room.

Cons: There's always something to do.... and it can be done from anywhere. I also juggle a lot of projects at any given time across disparate parts of the system and do a lot of integration of other people's code (which is where a lot of headaches arise). All these "cons" are par for the course in this field; that's what you expect coming in. I wouldn't have it any other way.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 3rd 2014, 19:49:27

COO/Shareholder of an innovative commercial low voltage (AV, CCTV, Voice/Data & Security) company. Or as I like to call it, I play with electronics and fluff.

Pros: I love my job. I get to create, manage, and insure a successful implementation of high end solutions for companies with large budgets. I don't have a set work schedule. I can do my job from anywhere with a few exceptions. I get to work with Fortune 500 companies and steer them in the right direction for centrally managed solutions. Pay is fairly high and if we grow to our expected potential, I will have the ability to retire within 10-15 years.

Cons: I work a lot, but that is mainly because I have OCD. 50% of my job requires me to suck up to arrogant a-holes. The other 50% of my job requires me to be an arrogant a-hole.

Hobo Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 20:57:36

Logistics broker/US customs entry broker:

Good money. I get paid $100/piece of paper. I get about... 40-50 papers a day.

flgatorboy89 Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 21:00:07

Hobo need an apprentice?
Jon
ZT, SoL

<jon> off to bed fluffbeater :p
<mrford> i dont beat fluffs
<mrford> i eat them
<mrford> gosh
<jon> well, fluffeater
<Kat> oookay....

Hobo Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 21:02:47

Originally posted by flgatorboy89:
Hobo need an apprentice?

Sorry, all of our operation staff is filled as of now. It's hard work sometimes in that we get completely swamped.

Makinso Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 21:12:02

I'm a psychomotor therapist. I work in a clinical rehabilitation centre for childeren between 12 - 18 who live in separate group homes on our property.

The children we treat usually have major behavior problems combined with delinquent activities. The behavioral and delinquent problems are usually a result of being victim of abuse, violence, broken homes, neglect etc etc..
As a Psychomotor therapist I basically combine psychotherapy with human movement, sports and the human body(body language, body signal (linked to emotions for example). The therapy is based on less words and more practical stuff. (of course it still requires verbal communication ;) )

Pro's: It can be a very rewarding job, watching some of these kids being placed in our care (by Child protection services or a judge for example) they enter the facility completely derailed, emotionally or mentally damaged and confused/unstable. Watching these kids get back on their feet and to be able assist them in repairing what's damaged and succeeding is one of the most thankful things I've ever done or will do.

Very nice pay, flexible work times, jobs always different, a work day is never the same.

Cons: You have to deal with a lot of aggression (verbally, physically, mentally) I don't personally mind it but it's something you either want or don't want to deal with.

The things you hear or see can get to you emotionally or mentally. Everyone claims you can keep a distance but try treating a father and a daughter of which daddy physically and sexually abused his daughter for 8 years. (yes I had both in the same therapy).

The other con is that sometimes it feels like you are beating your head against a brick wall, nothing works, no approach, no words, no interventions or whatever you can professionally and some times on the line of becoming unprofessional think of makes them move any further in their process, which makes you feel as being stuck. (while usually you are not but therapy = planting seeds, you don't decide when it sprouts).

AzNiZe Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 21:29:27

I live off people's gambling money. They win, I deliver. They lose, I go find them and show my tattoo

+bonus

Hobo Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 21:46:23

Originally posted by AzNiZe:
I live off people's gambling money. They win, I deliver. They lose, I go find them and show my tattoo

+bonus

This is almost as good as an actual government job.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 3rd 2014, 22:35:57

Originally posted by Pang:
Awww Soviet's carpel tunnel was finally starting to clear up after he started dating Galleri. Sucks if he gets it back from work :(

I SAID NO FLAMING! :p

Angel1 Game profile

Jul 3rd 2014, 23:13:07

Originally posted by Pang:

I SAID NO FLAMING! :p

What if someone is a chef...you have totally discriminated against chefs and other food workers!

*wink*
-Angel1

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 4th 2014, 1:09:46

I'm a dropout from society as much as possible. I play golf and fix old computers for a ridiculously low rate to pay for cigarettes. I've recently taken up weed smoking and am growing a few plants for the frist time since I was a Biology major at Ottawa U.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 4th 2014, 1:19:16

I am a little green man
Pros: technological superiority and mahem
Cons: no corners to pee in the round saucet
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 4th 2014, 1:36:34

Ok seriously
Actuary.
Due to a confidentiality agreement I cant really say much specifically about my current job other than it involves product development, data analytics, and using two pieces of statistical software worth over 50k each. And excel:p
Previously I was the pricing actuary for some very specialized commercial risks (different employer) including oil rigs, golf courses, Waste management companies and optometrists real estate agents and architects and summer csmps:o

pro: lots of variety and work is non routine. Involves a lot of problem solving that matches theory vs business reality and improvising.
Con:the exams
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Xinhuan Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 1:44:09

I'm a Game Programmer.

Pros: I write the code that runs games. I give major emphasis on correctness of any code, followed by the efficiency and speed of the code. I get to Youtube games, play games, chat about games, and really hammer out what goes into a game. I also get to look around and poke at Ouyas, Kinects and a bunch of other stuff.

While my role is not a game designer, I pick up a lot of knowledge about game balance as well as where the market is headed. It can be very fun, but...

Cons: When the deadline looms, be prepared to work 18 hours a day.

Why are there deadlines? The reason is 90% of the time due to advertising. If you buy ads or banner space on a website, or a TV commercial slot, etc, or put out word that your game is going to be released on a certain date, trying to push back that date is costly. Websites/etc will penalize you for moving the dates (for eg, you want your game banners showing up on the same week as the game launched), and pushing back a date generally reduces any hype that may already have been generated. Popular websites like TouchArcane or PennyArcade, you have to buy banner ad slots some 3-6 months in advance, it is that competitive.

In some countries like USA, some people view jobs in the game industry as being unstable, because as game studios finish up a project and start on a next one, there is some period of downtime between projects where people are laid off, and rehired back 6 months later after production has restarted. Reference: http://kotaku.com/...tting-laid-off-1583192249 (There is a part 2 followup, feel free to google for it.)

I've also learned that writing code for iOS is 10 times easier than writing the same code for Android. So for anyone that cares, this is basically the reason why all the top titles come out on iOS months or years before Android (Hearthstone, Plant vs Zombies 2, Clash of Clans, Heroes Academy, etc). Not only that, piracy is a very big issue for the Android ecosystem, and much much less on iOS, and piracy is one of the reasons why games are headed towards the micro-transactions direction (since the game can always check with the servers if an IAP is purchased, unless that itself is also cracked).

Edited By: Xinhuan on Jul 4th 2014, 1:54:45
See Original Post

iTarl Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 2:45:36

I am a retired US Army 1SG (20 yrs), and I just (Jun 30) retired from teaching high school after 14 years, so I guess Im a retiree

pros- lots of free time
cons- 2/3 less monthly income

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 4th 2014, 3:12:25

Originally posted by iTarl:
I am a retired US Army 1SG (20 yrs), and I just (Jun 30) retired from teaching high school after 14 years, so I guess Im a retiree

pros- lots of free time
cons- 2/3 less monthly income

Congrats on retirement Tarl.
Originally posted by Xinhuan:
I'm a Game Programmer.

Pros: I write the code that runs games. I give major emphasis on correctness of any code, followed by the efficiency and speed of the code. I get to Youtube games, play games, chat about games, and really hammer out what goes into a game. I also get to look around and poke at Ouyas, Kinects and a bunch of other stuff.

While my role is not a game designer, I pick up a lot of knowledge about game balance as well as where the market is headed. It can be very fun, but...

Cons: When the deadline looms, be prepared to work 18 hours a day.

Why are there deadlines? The reason is 90% of the time due to advertising. If you buy ads or banner space on a website, or a TV commercial slot, etc, or put out word that your game is going to be released on a certain date, trying to push back that date is costly. Websites/etc will penalize you for moving the dates (for eg, you want your game banners showing up on the same week as the game launched), and pushing back a date generally reduces any hype that may already have been generated. Popular websites like TouchArcane or PennyArcade, you have to buy banner ad slots some 3-6 months in advance, it is that competitive.

In some countries like USA, some people view jobs in the game industry as being unstable, because as game studios finish up a project and start on a next one, there is some period of downtime between projects where people are laid off, and rehired back 6 months later after production has restarted. Reference: http://kotaku.com/...tting-laid-off-1583192249 (There is a part 2 followup, feel free to google for it.)

I've also learned that writing code for iOS is 10 times easier than writing the same code for Android. So for anyone that cares, this is basically the reason why all the top titles come out on iOS months or years before Android (Hearthstone, Plant vs Zombies 2, Clash of Clans, Heroes Academy, etc). Not only that, piracy is a very big issue for the Android ecosystem, and much much less on iOS, and piracy is one of the reasons why games are headed towards the micro-transactions direction (since the game can always check with the servers if an IAP is purchased, unless that itself is also cracked).

Xinhuan wasn't it you I talked to that did some mods for WoW that is on Curse?

Mr Gainsboro Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 4th 2014, 3:14:34

Im a Linux Systemadministrator/Integrator for a company that make server based casino systems.

Pros: I work 4 days and im free 6 days. I get to play with new technology that would be impossible to buy myself. Travel a bit to other countries to set up things. I get to play on slot machines without loosing money ;-)

Cons: Not winning money...Travel to the same place is boring as hell after a few times. We work 24/7 365 so working weekends and holidays can suck.
Don of LaF

Mr Gainsboro Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 4th 2014, 3:20:19

http://www.curse.com/users/Xinhuan/projects
Don of LaF

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 4th 2014, 3:34:45

Originally posted by Mr Gainsboro:

http://www.curse.com/users/Xinhuan/projects

Thanks Gainsboro, I knew if I asked someone else that wasn't as lazy as me would search ;)

Atryn Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 3:38:53

I lead Strategy for a company focused on equity issues as K-12 Education goes digital. Its a big problem (growing digital divide as everything new moves online) with many components (culture, costs, technology, B2B relationships, regulations, etc.)

Pros: I love the industry and love the job. Everyone cares about the outcomes even though it is a VERY tough nut to crack right now given the state of Ed funding, regulation and cultural change happening. I work from home when not traveling and meet awesome people.

Cons: I travel more than I'd like, its high stress. The technology absolutely exists to do 99% of what should be done, but the regulations, funding and culture get in the way. Its easy to get frustrated and cynical.

Sidebar: I'm a bit bi-polar. Not a ton (I have family that is way moreso) but noticeable to me if not as much to others. I can sense when I'm in a manic phase or not.

Atryn Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 3:39:40

Wulf from MD came in one day, but I was actually serving that day.
Cons: Dealing with the human race. You meet the ultimate assholes. And sometimes you deal with idiot servers and managers.

Ok ok ok... I wasn't THAT much of an asshole.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Jul 4th 2014, 3:57:45

Originally posted by Atryn:
Wulf from MD came in one day, but I was actually serving that day.

Ok ok ok... I wasn't THAT much of an asshole.

YOU WAS IN MY PROS!!!! :D

locket Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 4:15:00

You browse reddit clearly

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jul 4th 2014, 5:31:38

I work for dollar general, the job is fine, but make minimum wage and not much hope for a real career anytime soon.