Verified:

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 6:38:59

There are a lot of negative comments and threads on here about RoR (retal of retal according to the wiki) and other attack related subjects.

I'm new, so please explain like I'm 5. What is the etiquette, for lack of a better word, here? What is the reasoning behind it? Please don't limit your responses to RoR. I've also seen many complaints about the mechanics behind GDI. Anyone care to elaborate on that?

This game seems to have a small player base. There should be a sticky explaining things like this for new players so that they have an idea what they're getting into, what the norms are, and how to integrate themselves.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 7:03:08

There really aren't any norms. Different players have different play styles. The term RoR really came from clan servers, and even the concept of "retalling" came from there as well.

Basically, players on clan servers decided to band together to protect each other. If someone gets attacked, one of the clan members would attack back the attacker to get the land back, in the event the original target couldn't retal himself. This discouraged people from attacking players that are in a clan.

Retal on Retal (basically a retal on a retal) is generally seen as a provocative move on clan servers, sometimes leading to clan wars, so it is frowned on.

Now on solo servers like this one, everyone is their own clan. So the concept of retals is really a leftover from clan servers, but is somewhat enforced by the different GDI rules on solo servers (to the GDI rules on clan servers). If you attack someone, and that someone chooses to retal you 6 weeks later (or 4 days later for Express timescale) for 10x the land, would you accept that? If you don't, you can Retal that Retal - that is, you do not accept the Retal, and choose to treat it as a new attack, and you are retalling that accordingly. But since you have now made a total of 2 attacks on him if you RoR, you open yourself up to special attacks (war) because that's how GDI works.

So there's really no positive or negative thing about RoR, the term itself doesn't carry any positive or negative meaning, it is just a term to describe what it exactly is - a RoR from one country's point of view, and a normal Retal on a very late attack from the other point of view.

Generally speaking, it is accepted that retal windows on solo servers are reset-long. But, some players don't accept that, and try to enforce say a 72-hour window or maybe a week (on Primary), and any longer than that, they would treat it as a new attack, and "RoR" it, and such players either get away with it, or they end up in war.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 7:26:45

Thank you for taking the time to explain these points.

I noticed you mentioned that players have different styles. With Express moving so quickly, and being only five days long, shouldn't a retal window be much shorter? Land based retals make more sense. If someone waits 48 hours to make a retal, countries would have grown considerably in that time, making that retal for 5x or more of the acreage from the original attack. So you either eat the loss or break your GDI protection, as you mentioned.

Let's say you decide to war then. How does a player go about that on a solo server? I saw a couple of threads with lists of AB and/or GS attacks, which seem to have the intent of crippling the other country. It looked like a large number of attacks was required. At what point would the attacker consider the damage "enough"?

On a side note, most of the countries I've seen favor jets and turrets. I take it that they're just planning to stay out of a war situation.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 7:59:49

Everything is up to the player to judge. Some players might do 100-200 ABs, another might only do 50. You also just have to scale the numbers down from a typical 60 day reset into the 5 day timescale here.

Countries that only have jets and turrets use GDI to avoid having troops and tanks expenses, but also generally avoid attacking any country more than once.

silentwolf Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 8:44:55

Express is little more chaotic imo than other servers due to the time frame and rapid turn gain. Its also a playground for those that want to learn and also vent.

Alliance is considered the main server and most changes are made there is reflected here and elsewhere. Hence the carry over effect of clan/alliance based ROR and gameplay.

On the nature of retals in this server, I believe if you take acres which should also mean you should be able to hold your acres even if ur in GDI or not.. by all means defend it. Some try to enforce retal policies ahem.. cable/alin.. but it all depends.

GDI is there to protect those that want to netgain in "peace". Some opt to play all xplore and use GDI. Some hit while under gdi, taking chances of not getting retalled (by choosing targets wisely).. some take the walk on the wild side and go on with guns blazing.

Bottom line, in here its free for all (no multiple countries in here).. if you take time analyzing gameplay by some old timers.. some bottom feed, some mid feed, some topfeed and each comes with risks and rewards. Since the objective is to be the highest networth among all, you take your chances however you see it.

Welcome :)

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 10:31:40

Thanks to both. It's nice to get some insight from players who have been around for a while (or at least seem to be).

Appreciated!

Collzaboration Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 12:00:38

It is express if someone wants to RoR no need to go bonkers over it. Its just express get over it.

Cable Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 12:20:06

Gernally speaking most players will war a retal on retal hit, dont listen to the moron above. Some players will war late hits if they think they can still out net said player and come out on top, others wont war them or retal a late hit just because they dont want to deal with special attacks.

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 14:24:50

Hit Wog superfly that guy never retals

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 15:31:29

So, bottom line is... it's just something that upsets people. There is a chance they'll react with war, even though they may feel entitled to a 500% retal on the original attack. Perfectly logical, lol. Thanks for the insight people!

Cable Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 15:41:39

Originally posted by AverageJay:
So, bottom line is... it's just something that upsets people. There is a chance they'll react with war, even though they may feel entitled to a 500% retal on the original attack. Perfectly logical, lol. Thanks for the insight people!

Everyone's entitled through game mechanics to retal, 1 hit wont allow special attacks. anything after that is up to the player if he wants to war or not. If someone makes a poor choice in grabbing and has alot more land then me when I retal thats their problem not mine. If they dont match NW and dont get optimal land thats not my problem, if I have DR and they dont get optimal land again not my problem. If a player hits you back under optimal conditions and boosts strat tech thats their right. Your right is to break GDI and open the door special attacks if you dont like the players retal time frame. Or the fact that they hit you for more land then you hit them for.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 15:55:28

This isn't about whose problem what is, or who has what rights. It's a browser game.

What I was interested in was the "norms" or "local customs" if you will, and the reasoning behind them.

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 16:26:00

well considering this is a simulator of real world politics/united nations/ diplomacy/power/respect it obviously is about your rights as a nation, asserting your right to retal and asserting your right not to be attacked multiple times.

Somebody violates gdi on most countries they can expect to have no buildings left very soon.

If you violate international norms you will be ostracized like north korea aka we going bring u some freedom and democracy.

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 16:27:42

Also eights are god given. I can declare i got the right to do anything, anywhere, in any platform. Might makes right.

Don't grab better players than yourself, retal and break gdi and expect not to get #rekt like that l33tz guy that sucks so bad.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 16:33:15

Thanks for polluting the thread deezyboy.

Cable Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 17:19:15

Lol the first three sentences in his original post are exactly what you asked.

This is a browser game true, based on running a country with a game mechanic that prevents players from getting killed week after week. If you enjoy the warring side of the game feel free to enforce whatever policies you want

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 17:35:13

Not exactly. Xinhuan and silent wolf covered my questions pretty well in their posts.

Originally posted by deezyboy:
Hit Wog superfly that guy never retals

That was Deezy's first post. He didn't even attempt an answer. He suggested an attack on someone who likely has a reputation for retals.

You highlighted some game mechanics. It was good information, but not what I asked about. Then the both of you decide to go on about entitlements and rights. You don't have a right not to be attacked. You just have a way to deal with it. It's a game. You don't have any rights or entitlements. You have the mechanics of the game, your knowledge of them, and your experience with them.

Neither of you offered anything pertinent to the original questions. Rather, it seems to be a sensitive issue for the both of you.

ddog Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 17:57:39

Your question has already been answered so unless you intend to ask another one, the purpose of this thread has been fulfilled and you should expect the conversation to change.

Cables first post is pretty darn accurate.

Cable Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 18:05:52

You highlighted some game mechanics. It was good information, but not what I asked about. Then the both of you decide to go on about entitlements and rights. You don't have a right not to be attacked. You just have a way to deal with it. It's a game. You don't have any rights or entitlements. You have the mechanics of the game, your knowledge of them, and your experience with them.

Neither of you offered anything pertinent to the original questions. Rather, it seems to be a sensitive issue for the both of you.

You're right in one thing, no one has a right to not be attacked, but they have the right to use the game mechanics in there favour. I never said anything about not being attacked, I merely said they have a right to retal you and still avoid specail attacks. You went on to imply the retaling player shouldn't get more land back then you took and I explained to you how to resolve that.

AverageJay

Jun 9th 2014, 15:31:29

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 18:30:12

>asks questions
>instead tells everyone how its gonna be

averagejay confirmed for retarded. probally will actually attack superfly a whole bunch.

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 18:32:12

also agreed they pretty much said all their was to say

"What is the reasoning behind it? Please don't limit your responses to RoR. "

>complains when this happens

lel

zerozerozero Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 20:45:47

what I'm wondering is why don't people just retal an ROR? why is there a need for a war when you can just choose to ROROR?

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2014, 21:36:51

The
Originally posted by zerozerozero:
what I'm wondering is why don't people just retal an ROR? why is there a need for a war when you can just choose to ROROR?

Its because if you ROROR you cancel your own GDI protection wrt that country. So if you don't strike first with everything you have then the other player will almost certainly hit you with everything they have first. So you have to destroy their missiles, and while you are at it you have to destroy their capacity to hit you at any time later in the set, which means total destruction and war.

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 9th 2014, 22:54:58

^this

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 1:46:14

@Cable

You didn't say anything about having a right not to be attacked. deezy did. Judging by his other comments, he's clearly toxic. In contrast, you are actually contributing to the thread.

Your comment on the retal, I'm just debating the semantics of it. It's not a right; it's just part of the game, an option. Admittedly, by squabbling over semantics I assisted in detracting from the conversation and share the blame there.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 2:09:04

@ddog

Why should the topic have to change? Are there other norms in the game that new people wouldn't be aware of?

If someone wants to change the topic, why not make another thread?

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 2:43:36

Please don't limit your responses to RoR- AverageJay

Why should the topic have to change-AverageJay

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 2:47:27

At least you did name the thread appropriately.

Rsimmons21 Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 3:06:36

Ok

mrford Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 3:14:29

boys have penis girls have jina
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Cable Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 4:59:57

Originally posted by zerozerozero:

What Get a fix neglected to say, most players will Retal the retal on retal, and then war them. You're breaking GDI anyways so I like to hit atleast 1 if not as many times as possible, then AB defuse missilss and bomb airbases or buildings, more ABs.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 10th 2014, 5:10:36

Yes, so if you want to know how to do it, watch Cable. Personally I prefer to net my way out of range in the first place and avoid the ROR.

ddog Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 5:35:14

@ddog

Why should the topic have to change? Are there other norms in the game that new people wouldn't be aware of?

If someone wants to change the topic, why not make another thread?

Its the nature of threads, You cant control what people say and it's a natural progression, someone will have something to say that sparks the conversation in another direction. Like you adressing deezy for example, which prompted my message which in turn prompted yours back to me and now my response, its completely different than your intended topic. When a question is asked and then answered all you can expect is the groups opinion and then it will either evolve to something else or die. Other new players could come in here with other questions or old timers could derail it because they are bored... *shrug*

As for other norms that new players should know, off the top of my head I cant think of any at the moment.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 6:01:05

Thanks ddog. I understand your point about the nature of threads.

In an attempt towards clarity I contributed to the process. I fully accept sharing the blame for my part in that.

Right now it seems to be trending towards how to deal with the situation. Some interesting suggestions have been offered too.

The way Cable is explaining it, it looks like his attitude is to level the offending country. Wouldn't that ruin his set as well, by devoting that many turns to the action?

Getafix mentioned netting himself out of range. How well does that method tend to work?

ddog Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 7:23:28

It really depends, Cables way often does ruin ones netting set to some degree because you are spending turns on attacking/defusing and the like but generally at that point you don't care. Its the principle of the thing, I am not about to be pushed around and I will wreck your set to prove it thus messing up my own. At that point everything is a victory right down to making the other person stay military heavy the rest of set knowing your lurking and trying to build up to wreck them.

The Getafix method can work to some degree as well if you are attempting to outrun a newer player or someone who has already been crippled by someone else etc. Most strats I run I can buy up to retal anyone in the top 10 at any time but Getafix is probably not going to engage with someone who clearly knows what they are doing. Or maybe he would depending on the variables I dont know, all I know is when I spy a country, if im bottom/mid feeding im going to look at their turns on hand, cash, and strat build, tech, land, etc. There are a lot of players who play turns late (myself included) So I'm generally not going to grab people who have a strong build + a lot of turns because they will simply play up to me and smack me right back for a greater amount.

It really all depends on your mindset and emotion. Last set I got triple tapped by a guy who seemed to be trying to goad me into a fight and then he got ABed into the ground by someone else so he was in heavy DR and I just left it. I didn't feel like engaging and wrecking my set. Some times I would have just say screw it and killed him.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 7:35:10

The way Cable is explaining it, it looks like his attitude is to level the offending country. Wouldn't that ruin his set as well, by devoting that many turns to the action?

Yes. But it sets up his reputation as someone you don't want to mess with for future resets unless you don't care about your own reset.

Getafix mentioned netting himself out of range. How well does that method tend to work?

Works fairly well on countries with weak economies, next to no tech and low BPT. Especially rainbows. There are countries you simply know if you have 4x their land, you can more than outproduce them 8x their output, and split half your output into jets and the other half into turrets, they will just fall out of range naturally.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 10th 2014, 8:33:27

Cable looks for a fight every set and usually gets one. I usually just get hit by jetter Dictators after turn 1200 or so. I buy a lot of turrets and weapons as well as being prepared with spies, missiles and very importantly, Military tech so I can buy tanks and troops quickly if I need them.

I like to get a few early hits. The DR is worth more than the land and the opportunity for the retal is valuable. I set myself up as a trap sometimes and call it a DR gambit, like last set. I look like a big juicy landfarm but have hidden assets on the market. I call the hits Noobstrikes. It was even better with DA's when I could have two big DA's at the beginning and low defense but good weapons tech. You had to hit me with over double my apparent defense and about 50% of even experienced players would bounce because they miscalculated where to multiply the weapons tech in.

Oh what fun :) Mean and cruel is what it is.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 13:17:59

Thanks again ddog and Xinhuan.

Getafix, I followed most of what you said. I think I got the DR gambit part. As you get hit a few times, the returns drop, so it reduces other attackers' interest in you. Putting assets on the market: market spy would reveal those, right? But most people probably don't bother doing it?

What do you mean by jetter Dictators? Is that just a jet heavy Dict strat? What is the purpose of that / How is it used?

What is DA?

silentwolf Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 15:00:01

DA = Defence Allies.

Jet Heavy Dict = He meant all offence built country that can break any country. But that strat wont get you in top ten unless your retals dont get ror.

Amusing thread.

Originally posted by Getafix:
Cable looks for a fight every set and usually gets one. I usually just get hit by jetter Dictators after turn 1200 or so. I buy a lot of turrets and weapons as well as being prepared with spies, missiles and very importantly, Military tech so I can buy tanks and troops quickly if I need them.

I like to get a few early hits. The DR is worth more than the land and the opportunity for the retal is valuable. I set myself up as a trap sometimes and call it a DR gambit, like last set. I look like a big juicy landfarm but have hidden assets on the market. I call the hits Noobstrikes. It was even better with DA's when I could have two big DA's at the beginning and low defense but good weapons tech. You had to hit me with over double my apparent defense and about 50% of even experienced players would bounce because they miscalculated where to multiply the weapons tech in.

i have to start paying more attention if start grabbing early. Express is seriously cruel when it comes to late retals. Hope i dont fall for getafix's gambit.

btw, netting out of range in express.. is possible, however unlikely. A rainbow can easly get to 3-4m.. but will they be able to cause damage.. would depend if they go all out offence. GDI saves ur butt here.

a tip though.. some here use the same or similar country names.. for a reason.

AverageJay Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 15:13:28

I see your point silentwolf. The name carries the reputation. If you don't want people screwing with you, make a name for yourself. Maybe I should do that too. It's kind of fun to make up the names though, lol.

I did have my doubts about outrunning people via nw, but ddog did give a couple of examples where it seems it would work.

Have fun tomorrow! Thanks for the input folks!

Cable Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 15:39:24

Originally posted by Getafix:

Thats not true, the last 5 weeks idiots have double tapped me or RoRed me on Friday or thursday. I don't go looking to fight anyone, but with the influx of new players over the last 2 months I like to "show them the ropes" by leveling their country for breaking GDI.

The only sets I look for a war is when I poke fun at Sswells who is still making Cable _________ countries. So every now and again you will see Sswells ____________ ussually offensive and boarding deletion, those are the weeks I don't care.

Other weeks I tried playing delayed and people still break GDI on a guy with 60-70 BPT and good tech levels. So I wreck sets for the future of my personal netting.

88 didn't play a single turn after he RoRed me and got wrecked, not much fun sitting on the side lines. and I still netted 11 million with poor food prices all set.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 10th 2014, 21:18:30

You're great Cable :) You get in a war just about every set because there are so many idiots. Fair enough. One day when you have frightened off every troll and Noob for ever you will net in peace.

Jun 10th 2014, 21:30:39

Originally posted by Cable:
Gernally speaking most players will war a retal on retal hit, dont listen to the moron above. Some players will war late hits if they think they can still out net said player and come out on top, others wont war them or retal a late hit just because they dont want to deal with special attacks.

Seriously name calling over a perfectly good explanation a bit childish eh. Maybe you did not understand? I could see that. Oh and by the way its Generally......okay :D

deezyboy Game profile

Jun 10th 2014, 22:15:21

i'm with cable on this. sometimes u just gotta let em know how it is. Sometimes is usually every set. nothing is more beautiful than seeing the entire days news is you wrecking someone anyways. Going from 300 CS to 40? yea boy can't troll a troll

>implications

Cable Game profile

Jun 11th 2014, 0:06:14

Originally posted by Collzaboration:
Originally posted by Cable:

Seriously name calling over a perfectly good explanation a bit childish eh. Maybe you did not understand? I could see that. Oh and by the way its Generally......okay :D

I typically call people out for making posts like that, and vice versa they call me out. Is what it is, as always play your game and ill play mine.

Getafix is right though, I tend to eat alot of RoRs and even the occasional double tap. Sets I fast play this doesn't happen, just sets I slow play, but I don't mind throwing away a set no matter how good it is. There's always next week, to net again.

Jun 11th 2014, 2:53:17

Well good luck.