Verified:

Hayashizaki Game profile

May 13th 2014, 7:58:02

As a newly returned player from 15 years back I was confused by the clusterfluff of heated exchanges over landtrading and the stance that some have taken against it. If I understand intra-alliance landtrading correctly it's a fairly low-risk way to benefit from ghost acres. It strikes me as a strange practice, however beneficial, that you'd attack your own allies to gain land and buildings of like-kind. Have I misunderstood the practice or is there something I'm missing?

How widespread is this practice? Universal? Which clans have taken a stance against landtrading?

En4cer Game profile

May 13th 2014, 8:59:19

u understand it correctly mate... and most people are now just going with the flow and doing it as its coded into the game.... netters will net in whatever way the game allows.

Zorp Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2014, 9:13:36

I'd say only 10-20% of players do it right now, but you understand correctly.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

May 13th 2014, 10:34:30

i oppose it
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

May 13th 2014, 10:37:59

Hippies giving each other landjobs.
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

mrcuban Game profile

May 13th 2014, 10:56:00

I oppose it

Angel1 Game profile

May 13th 2014, 14:17:11

I oppose it, but i think we have to be careful to define that having grab pacts which allow for random grabs between alliances and landtrading are not the same thing.

Landtrading is organized between two countries who reach an agreement and ensure that both sides benefit from the arrangement.
-Angel1

tellarion Game profile

May 13th 2014, 14:44:26

I absolutely love landtrading, but I think it's gone a bit too far over the past few sets. Evo and PDM have been trading for 3+ years, and it is a GREAT way to communicate and make friends with other people from other alliances. We've had an opt-in list setup with them for ages, which allows techers and explorers to remain untouched, but allows those who wish to to engage in grabbing. Beyond that, it simply prevents excesses(such as one person being grabbed like 4 times in a day), and prevents things like topfeeding(which isn't a big deal with l:l retal policies, but is definitely annoying as hell).

The current style of trading, where people MUST agree to grabbing beforehand, and people often share their breaks with each other, definitely removes a lot of the random chance element and reduces the skill required, so I kinda agree with others on that point. An open list system like we use with PDM is ideal, imo.

hawkeyee Game profile

May 13th 2014, 14:52:00

I agree, Tellarion. I'm 100% against two countries planning out an exchange before-hand. Things like sharing breaks, dropping NW, manipulating returns, hitting in close succession, being online at the same time, etc. I love opt-in lists. Protects those who don't want to grab or who don't have time to plan retals.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

DStone Rocks Game profile

May 13th 2014, 15:10:11

word

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2014, 15:47:11

I think land trading makes the game boring. We need a better option than land trading IMO.

King_Cobra1 Game profile

May 13th 2014, 15:48:50

point blank there is not enough land others wise unless people are willing to go back to being happy at only 15k to 20k like where for a while on EC server.

The problem with grabbing pacts even is retail windows. with a 72 hour retail window even if your just randomly grabbing people and trying to benefit people can be fluffs back. In even 48 hours a lot can change between a country in NW, Acreage, Build, Tech so, your just at the mercy of the person hitting back.

The real issue is this land trading is the most efficient quickest way for people to gain a lot of acreage which is enjoyable fast. Also, land trading promotes inner game communication which with the true numbers of the game is needed. Alliances are no longer 100+ members them self or 300+ insite with communication daily. The point is this community has become one big community which land trading helps promote networking in game.

people enjoy grabbing period. That is one of the most fun aspects of the game period.

Home Turf Game profile

May 13th 2014, 17:59:20

point blank there is plenty of land in this game. Im not gonna climb back on the ole soapbox of mine that netters are, and they are in fact being shown favoritism over the original concept of the game which was fighting and war. It just took the whiny little fluffes whining and complaining long enuff for the developers to change rules because they aren't, or weren't, still aren't if you ask me, to keep what they wont defend. So you now have this land trading jibberish.

Have a swirve day!
HT

hsifreta Game profile

May 13th 2014, 18:18:05

i like it. it's one aspect of the game. seems to make the game easier, but that's always a good thing when you've got a busy life.

though if i have time, i wouldnt mind bottomfeeding IF THERE ARE BOTS, cuz there is scarcely any land that doesnt result with suiciders/topfeeders, and it sucks balls.

i say let the netters net, and the warrers war.

hsifreta Game profile

May 13th 2014, 18:20:51

i also enjoy chatting with the various people from various alliances, it's more fun than this game. i think its huge compared to the pain it takes to camp DRs and gain acres enough to use with the few number of untags available. i dont mind having bots that run a normal strat or even retals if they dont suicide.

Zorp Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2014, 20:40:47

The whole idea of bots is to simulate players. One the main goals is that some of them would suicide a certain percentage of the time.

Atryn Game profile

May 14th 2014, 0:38:50

Originally posted by Hayashizaki:
If I understand intra-alliance landtrading correctly

I think you meant inter-alliance landtrading. I don't think anyone is (yet) engaging in intra-alliance landtrading.

Although that is the natural next step... only a matter of time before someone tries it.

GodHead Dibs Game profile

May 14th 2014, 0:58:30

not sure about the landtrading issue, but i did recently take the time to wonder if WWII was a fair fight or if the Allies cheated Hitler out of a legitimate victory. we might owe Germany some reps...
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:03:16

HE'S BACK!

the nips, (sorry PP, the filthy japanese, which isn't racist) lost the war for 'dolph. The itals certainly didn't help.

germany vs the world.. and how close did germany come to winning? oh yea, not very, because the ni.. sorry, filthy japanese ruined it for them.

also, hugo boss is my favourite cologne.

The Cloaked Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:07:03

landtrading is idiotic in its current form. it would be far easier if everyone just landtraded within their own tags. It would be easier to organize, and there would be less FR issues. I hate the idea of trading, even if it's with allies. I mean, the only people I'm not competing against are my own tag, so they are the only ones that should benefit from everything I do.

Detmer Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:11:34

Pretty much no one land trades. What occurs is alliances sign pacts that allow them to grab each other in some cases. This allows for land grabbing under basic retal policies without limiting the grabbing pool to farming the few untags/newbs out there.

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:18:01

detmer is correct, but we landtrade under the guise of grabbing pacts. it's, like, six of one and a half dozen of the other.

we are given four options now:
landtrade/grabbing pacts/whatever other term you may prefer
all explore
bottomfeeding,
or everybodys favourite, attacking pacted alliances and losing 200% land.. fun!!

so, i mean, where do we go from here? because none of that sounds very fun to more than a few people at a time..

The Cloaked Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:19:01

I don't know how you can't call it land trading if you are basically 0 defense, give the other alliance your country number and strategy, and message each other before and after with hitting order so both sides gain from every grab.

We also allow mulligans on DHs and offer TPs so we can see military without spying.

-there are 50k acre countries out there with a quarter million turrets.-

It's basically a giant tree hugging circle jerk.

ericownsyou5 Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:20:57

Or we could all just farm the same 10 untags?

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:21:44

trade pact is a waste of time, just ingame message the copy/paste of your military advisor.

what, if, for, fifty thousand acre countries, the jets sent determine the returns? so 250k ps would be measly.. whereas 2.5mil would be closer to full gains?

curbs the fluff for military problem at least slightly?

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:22:01

are you untagged, erica?

tellarion Game profile

May 14th 2014, 1:56:45

That was one of the ideas qz came up with, Braden :)

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 14th 2014, 2:01:42

I think Germany just finished paying reps on WW1

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 2:11:40

i was a little less than succinct, i think.

the defender couldn't be sitting on 250k ps break and i over send to 2.5mil, the break itself would need to be 2.5, where i end up sending closer to 2.75mil and we both lose many turrets or jets, and i think we all enjoy the game better

(but you all heard tella, he just said i'm at least as smart as qz and maybe, just maybe, slightly smarter!)

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 2:12:41

and they should have let that french dude destroy the germany economy and political systems, saved us all world war tw.. oh, wait, nevermind.

SolidSnake Game profile

May 14th 2014, 13:15:16

Land trading sucks, everyone doing it sucks, it's boring as fluff, skillless as fluff, and the game would be a better place if ghost acres were completely removed from the game again. The concept that grabbing pacts are any different to agreed trades is preposterous as most of the alliances with such pacts still make prior contact before hits are exchanged, and when they don't it's common courtesy to make sure gains will be even. fluff even gains, make your own country big and strong and make the other persons small and weak. It's a war game, people need to grow a pair.

More land /= more fun
More nw /= more fun

More competition = more fun.

Chewi Game profile

May 14th 2014, 13:32:54

SS sucks!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 14th 2014, 13:32:57

SS is right. 100%

hsifreta Game profile

May 14th 2014, 13:47:16

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by Hayashizaki:
If I understand intra-alliance landtrading correctly

I think you meant inter-alliance landtrading. I don't think anyone is (yet) engaging in intra-alliance landtrading.

Although that is the natural next step... only a matter of time before someone tries it.

while intra- is easy, inter- spreads out the risk of being suicided on.

DJBeif Game profile

May 14th 2014, 16:47:15

Um...more countries with more land and more net *does* equal more competition..no runaway countries since everyone has access to land. Regardless where the land comes from, whether they bump up exploring to 100A per turn and leave it like that all set, people all have an equal chance at getting the same amount of land, or more if you're more clever at it. Because of that fact, the people who will come out ahead of the pack are the ones who know how best to utilize their turns (read: the actual pros). Anyone can just tech/cash all their turns and buy stock, but when to catch the peaks of everything for sale, when to stop grabbing, etc takes the actual skill.

Trife Game profile

May 14th 2014, 18:28:18

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE EQUAL AMOUNTS OF LAND

there, problem fixed

braden Game profile

May 14th 2014, 22:19:58

land redistribution.. and trife denied he was a bolshevik!

BobbyATA Game profile

May 14th 2014, 22:52:00

do it!

UltraMarines Game profile

May 15th 2014, 12:52:46

With all the alliances and pacts that get made, more than half of your "grabbing options" are gone before you even get started. Then you are grabbing the targets that are available and feelings get hurt and before you know it your getting AB'd over a retal, which really keeps you on your toes, i'll give you that. But its nice to be able to communicate and build relationships within the game that otherwise would never of happened if you didn't get to sit around a fire and sing kumbaya through out friendly exchange.

trumper Game profile

May 15th 2014, 13:02:58

What makes landtrading work is land:land retal policies and pacts. When people pacted out the concept of the topfeed is when all of this started taking shape.

SolidSnake Game profile

May 15th 2014, 13:05:23

Originally posted by DJBeif:
Um...more countries with more land and more net *does* equal more competition..no runaway countries since everyone has access to land. Regardless where the land comes from, whether they bump up exploring to 100A per turn and leave it like that all set, people all have an equal chance at getting the same amount of land, or more if you're more clever at it. Because of that fact, the people who will come out ahead of the pack are the ones who know how best to utilize their turns (read: the actual pros). Anyone can just tech/cash all their turns and buy stock, but when to catch the peaks of everything for sale, when to stop grabbing, etc takes the actual skill.

Have a look at the guys over 50k this set, how many of them are good netgainers, almost none. Competition is at an all time low, because all the good players are being forced away because no one good wants to partake in bs landtrading.

DJBeif Game profile

May 15th 2014, 13:45:51

Those players who don't want to partake in it there can't call themselves good if they don't get as high. We've been through this before, there are new metas ALL the time in EVERY game, you don't adapt to the meta, you lose your prominency as one of the best..or you do adapt and still kill it because you're the most efficient at using your turns. Anyone can keep saying trading sucks, but results speak for themselves. If you want to be competitive, get with the new program. Things always change, or have you not quite lived life enough yet to know that?

Cowboys on horses can't start saying that someone in a Ferrari sucks at transportation, they're just clinging to their belief that horses are the best way to get from A to B.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

May 15th 2014, 15:18:44

Those players who don't want to partake in it there can't call themselves good if they don't get as high. We've been through this before, there are new metas ALL the time in EVERY game, you don't adapt to the meta, you lose your prominency as one of the best..or you do adapt and still kill it because you're the most efficient at using your turns. Anyone can keep saying trading sucks, but results speak for themselves. If you want to be competitive, get with the new program. Things always change, or have you not quite lived life enough yet to know that?

Cowboys on horses can't start saying that someone in a Ferrari sucks at transportation, they're just clinging to their belief that horses are the best way to get from A to B.

THAT'S ALL WELL AND GOOD, SO LONG AS THE FERRARI DRIVERS DON'T WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THERE'S NOBODY TO HANG OUT WITH WHEN THE COWBOYS RIDE AWAY TO SOME OTHER TOWN BECAUSE THERE'S A BETTER RODEO SCENE THERE.

DJBeif Game profile

May 15th 2014, 16:22:08

So basically you non-traders will be creating your own game to just farm bots? mmk

tellarion Game profile

May 15th 2014, 16:56:31

Originally posted by SolidSnake:

Have a look at the guys over 50k this set, how many of them are good netgainers, almost none. Competition is at an all time low, because all the good players are being forced away because no one good wants to partake in bs landtrading.

Do you even know who those players are? I see several top 10 players....

tellarion Game profile

May 15th 2014, 17:01:38

But you know, I'm sure SS will place at least top 3 and tell everyone how amazing he is. In reality, he lost 21,860a to scode, made 15k back on his own retal(and would likely have broke even if not for bouncing once), and since then has made 43,474a from MD.

So I guess your possible victory will be thanks to scode and MD. But really, landtrading is just stupid and takes no skill and SS is better than you.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 15th 2014, 19:07:30

Originally posted by SakitSaPuwit:
Hippies giving each other landjobs.

LMAO…: http://youtu.be/IMBvccL5CKk
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

GodHead Dibs Game profile

May 16th 2014, 0:07:25

Originally posted by Getafix:
I think Germany just finished paying reps on WW1
meh, i think it took Philly 5 years after they tore down Veteran's Stadium to finally finish paying to build it. how's that union labor math work?

dang, i recognized a poorly spelled word after I posted, but before the spell checker caught it. hmmm, guess i blink faster than the spell checker.

Edited By: GodHead Dibs on May 16th 2014, 0:10:10. Reason: piss pour spelling and grammar.
See Original Post
Dibs Ludicrous was here.

SolidSnake Game profile

May 16th 2014, 0:21:31

Originally posted by tellarion:
But you know, I'm sure SS will place at least top 3 and tell everyone how amazing he is. In reality, he lost 21,860a to scode, made 15k back on his own retal(and would likely have broke even if not for bouncing once), and since then has made 43,474a from MD.

So I guess your possible victory will be thanks to scode and MD. But really, landtrading is just stupid and takes no skill and SS is better than you.

Please drop your pact with laf so I can farm you next set, land trading is boring I need an Evo sized land source.

tellarion Game profile

May 16th 2014, 5:33:00

Ok :) people sometimes don't like trading with us because we're really good at retalling. If you would like to donate your land to me, I would be happy to oblige you :)