Verified:

tellarion Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 13:19:58

Can a harbor be on a river? I think not, as a harbor is the designation of a part of a body of water that offers protection from waves, tides and currents. If you're in the middle of a river, you don't have to worry about tides and waves, and typically don't need protection like you would from the ocean.

BUT I can't find definitive proof...lol.

Baz Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 13:24:14

What about a tidal river? :P

tellarion Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 13:33:10

Usually the entire river isn't affected by tides, so I supposed that would be a minor exception to the rule?

maverickmd Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 13:38:05

Well i googled River harbor and 1000 things came up, so im going to say yes.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 14:35:59

THE MARINA IN THE TOWN IN WHICH I LIVE IS ON A MIGHTY RIVER, HUNDREDS OF MILES FROM THE SEA.

THIS MIGHTY RIVER DOES ROIL FROM TIME TO TIME WITH ANGRY WAVES. AS SUCH, THE MARINA HAS BEEN FORTIFIED WITH GIANT STONES, TO BREAK THE WAVES. NO WIND HAS EVER BESTED THE MARINA, AND THE SHIPS THERE HAVE REMAINED PROTECTED.

IS THIS NOT A HARBOR?

HA!

SAM
CHAMPION OF THE EUGLAF DIVISION,
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Xinhuan Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 14:36:13

According to Wikipedia:

---
A harbor or harbour (see spelling differences), or haven, is a body of water where ships, boats, and barges can seek shelter from stormy weather, or else are stored for future use. Harbors can be natural or artificial. An artificial harbor has deliberately constructed breakwaters, sea walls, or jettys, or otherwise.
Harbors and ports are often confused with each other. A port is a facility for loading and unloading vessels; ports are usually located in harbors.
---

So, considering boats/ships are often used to travel up/down a river, they also need a place to moor and be safe from stormy weather, so I'll say yes, they too need harbours (in a river), where the river currents are not too strong.

tellarion Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 14:40:02

The dictionary refers to coastal areas though :/

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/harbor

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Apr 25th 2014, 14:59:26

coast·al
[kohs-tl] Show IPA
adjective
of, relating to, bordering on, or located near a coast:

coast
[kohst] Show IPA
noun
the land next to the sea; seashore: the rocky coast of Maine.

sea
[see] Show IPA
noun
a large lake or landlocked body of water.
the degree or amount of turbulence of the ocean or other body of water, as caused by the wind.

So what have we learned? A river and lake can be affected by high winds, giving it a sea of waves. The only refuge of boats/ferries would be a habor (man made or natural) coastal to these bodies of waters.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

tellarion Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 16:13:31

Following your logic, a river and a sea are the same thing?

Trife Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 16:15:40

[nerds.jpg]

mrford Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 18:05:00

The port of new Orleans is like a 3 hour boat ride up the Mississippi from the gulf.

Define that!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 25th 2014, 18:11:07

actually yes there can be a harbour on a river (see Montreal).
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

mdevol Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 18:19:15

I would say that yes, you could.

I know of many rivers that have coves, and coves are just mini harbors as far as i am concerned, so given a big enough river or seaway, yes, there could be harbors on rivers.
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

trumper Game profile

Apr 25th 2014, 18:49:59

By definition don't all rivers have currents? So then
Originally posted by tellarion:
Can a harbor be on a river? I think not, as a harbor is the designation of a part of a body of water that offers protection from waves, tides and currents. If you're in the middle of a river, you don't have to worry about tides and waves, and typically don't need protection like you would from the ocean.

BUT I can't find definitive proof...lol.

Don't rivers by definition carry a current? Otherwise they would all be stagnant and essentially lakes without enclosed borders.

And, as previously pointed out, there are many tidal rivers. In the local case here, the Potomac River is tidal all the way up to a point around Georgetown. Hence the famous "Tidal Basin" where people go to see the cherry trees bloom each spring.

Further up the river is the various fall lines, which are really inhospitable to boating--strong currents, white water waves, and so forth. So yes, I think you can have a harbor in a river.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 25th 2014, 18:55:09

Argentina and Uruguay share the widest river in the world, when wind blows from South East it turns very violent, cities and ports are protected by harbor.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 25th 2014, 19:11:40

yes, Tell ... seas, lakes and rivers the same
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

tellarion Game profile

Apr 26th 2014, 9:35:03

Ok, you've convinced me. But a sea is not a river...

RaTS FYA Game profile

Apr 26th 2014, 12:15:18

or is it?
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars