Verified:

Raging Budda Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 20:56:48

Man is going to make some serious coin. He might be able to bring Detroit out of bankrupcy all by himself.
Your base is mine!

Symac

Mar 28th 2014, 21:11:20

That assumes anyone would show up to see a baseball player for that amount.

Trife Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 21:37:37

Originally posted by Symac:

you're right, nobody went to baseball games after arod signed a similar sized contract in 2001

RIP baseball

archaic Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 21:57:24

Originally posted by Trife:

you're right, nobody went to baseball games after arod signed a similar sized contract in 2001

RIP baseball

Um, well . . .

"On November 15, 2007, the New York Yankees and Rodriguez agreed on the "basic framework" of a 10-year, $275 million contract that would have him playing until he is 42"

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/...3925/MLB_Attendance_2.png

ARod caused the recession . . .
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

blid

EE Patron

Mar 28th 2014, 22:00:14

He already got the contract. That deal is happening
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

gzervali Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 22:07:31

So much money

Mar 28th 2014, 22:22:54

/me needs to learn how hit a baseball 1/3rd of the time.
Your base is mine!

mrford Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 23:08:11

this is what happens in sports with no salary cap. there are teams out there who spend $235 mill a year on their roster, and teams that spend $45 mill a year on a roster the same size. and everything inbetween.

Edited By: mrford on Mar 28th 2014, 23:10:41
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Trife Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 23:18:28

i'm just glad this is selig's last year

Mar 28th 2014, 23:24:11

Originally posted by mrford:
this is what happens in sports with no salary cap. there are teams out there who spend $235 mill a year on their roster, and teams that spend $45 mill a year on a roster the same size. and everything inbetween.

Look at who made the playoffs last year.

http://mlb.si.com/...thletics-indians-pirates/

2nd, 4th, 5th, 11th, 13th, 16th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 28th payroll teams made the playoffs.

Looks pretty balanced to me. 2012 wasn't that much different.
Your base is mine!

mrford Game profile

Mar 28th 2014, 23:45:51

lol, i didnt say the people who spend the 245mill a year are smart.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Symac

Mar 28th 2014, 23:49:56

Oh sorry, I went on a tangent about the bankruptcy thing.
I thought it was meaning like more people go to games = more taxes to the city.
Overshot the point I think.

I will be quiet now.

Mar 29th 2014, 0:23:41

True ford, realized you never mentioned playoffs after I posted that...but still even in baseball teams can't buy their way into the playoffs.

If you want true non-parity, look at who domaintes the major European domestic 'football' leagues. Same 4-5 teams almost every time.
Your base is mine!

blid

EE Patron

Mar 29th 2014, 4:31:47

Originally posted by mrford:
Yeah free market capitalism is bad
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

mdevol Game profile

Mar 29th 2014, 7:36:48

bad? or really good?

this is how free market capitalism SHOULD work...

The teams that cannot afford such contracts, DONT TAKE THEM ON. I know, it's a crazy idea, that fiscal responsibility.

I understand the salary cap in most sports for parity sake but at the end of the say whoever has the best GM's and the best Coaches in all of sports will win the most.

As for his contract, who cares? The owner of the Tigers earned the money he has, earned the ability to pay the payroll he does, and his General Manager feels Cabrera is worth every penny of the deal.

If you don't like it get you, and all of your buddies to stop watching sports, if enough people stop watching, stop buying merchandise, stop listening on the radio, stop following it on the internet, they will naturally have to scale back these contracts. As it is today, they can afford them because enough people are willing to support them financially.

He is certainly in the discussion as being the best right-handed hitter in the history of baseball up to this point in his career, we will see if he can keep the stats up and we will see if it pays off down the road. Good for Detroit.
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

Makolyte Game profile

Mar 29th 2014, 14:47:30

mdevol knows what's up.

--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

archaic Game profile

Mar 29th 2014, 23:10:07

I like the way owners keep giving old guys that are past their prime these huge multiyear contracts. I'm not saying Cabrera is over the hill, but no way in hell his next 10 years will be as good as his last five years.

mrford Game profile

Mar 30th 2014, 0:55:41

he is the first person in 43 years to win the triple crown, he is worth some money regardless. maybe not 292mill though.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

downsay Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 1:17:30

he is one of the better players, indeed. Worth more than the other guys? Probably. Is anyone worth that much in a professional sport? Probably not.

Trife Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 18:39:54

verlander won a triple crown the year before cabrera...

mrford Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 19:11:02

False, he won the pitching tripple crown. Much more common than the batting tripple crown.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Trife Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 19:37:25

false, he won the pitching triple crown. which is more common than the batting triple crown, yes.

but it's still a triple crown!

mrford Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 20:04:07

True, but the distinction is important, as the batting tripple crown happens every 43 years, and the pitching every 4 or so.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Trife Game profile

Mar 31st 2014, 20:22:05

1 trip·ple
noun \ˈtripəl\
-s
Full Definition of TRIPPLE
chiefly southern Africa
: a gait in which the horse moves both near and both off legs alternately and which somewhat resembles the amble

since distinction is important, are you talking about a triple crown for horses?

ugh im so bored at work, sorry for being so pedantic

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 31st 2014, 20:34:26

mdevol: the various professional sports leagues are private enterprises and can set any rules they like (within the labor laws) regarding caps. It's called creating a system to maximize your profits, which is the point to running a business. It's entirely their call how they want to keep their customers happy and whatever works to bring in the profits.

See: Toronto Maple Leafs. It's not about winning or fair, it's about making money.

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

archaic Game profile

Apr 1st 2014, 1:11:27

I've never had any problem with the amount pro athletes make, they are minority partners in a very exclusive firm and at best they only make a small share of the firms earnings.

Viceroy Game profile

Apr 1st 2014, 5:41:22

I do not find it offensive that Miggy can command such a huge payday. What I do find offensive is that if this had been an NFL contract, they would be cutting him well before the end of the contract due to decreased performance that was caused by injuries he played through.

But its cool though. Everyone loves the NFL...
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

mdevol Game profile

Apr 1st 2014, 6:01:36

well, if they did that to Miggy, he would get a HUGE buyout. Perhaps the NFL labor union and agents, should look into that ;) You know, unions are for the employees right? Not at all about making a huge payday for the bosses...that would be wrong.
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

Riddler Game profile

Apr 2nd 2014, 21:07:36

I could have made as much money as any of those guys had I not thrown out my talent in high school lol