Verified:

Angel1 Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 2:26:19

What do you think is the best US State Flag.

My Biases: Ohio and Tennessee. I consider these my two home states and admit to being biased in their favor. However, the designs are simple and meaningful. Both utilize significant symbolism. TN uses a light touch on symbolism. Ohio uses a lot of symbolism, but there are symbols within symbols, so the flag is not too busy.

Ohio's Flag symbolism:

The triangle: Ohio's Hills and Valleys

The Stripes: Roads and Waterways; also the five states of the Northwest Territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan).

The Stars: The thirteen original states are represented by the stars at the left of the flag; add the four stars in a diamond pattern at the right to make 17 stars representing Ohio as the 17th state. I don't think that Ohio can be docked for overuse of the stars to represent the original or other states as it was only the fourth to enter the union after the revolution.

The White Circle with Red Center: Represents the first letter of the state name and its nickname, "The Buckeye State".

Special Note on Ohio's Flag - It's not a rectangle. Officially it's shaped in the Ohio burgee.

Tennessee's Flag symbolism:

Blue Bar at the right: purely a design element to break up the otherwise red background.

The Three Stars: The three Grand Divisions of the State of Tennessee. East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee, and West Tennessee. These Grand Divisions do still play an important part in TN as the State Supreme Court must be comprised of no more than two justices from each Grand Division. (Right now, if Janice M. Holder were to retire or be thrown out, she would have to be replaced by someone in West Tennessee.)

The Blue Circle: Surrounds the stars and represents the unity of the Grand Divisions.

Edited By: Angel1 on Mar 20th 2014, 2:46:28
-Angel1

Boltar Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 2:45:53

i like bears.. so ima go with cali

archaic Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 2:46:36

Montani Sempre Liberi
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

ninong Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 2:48:23

ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

mrford Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 3:01:05

north carolina. granted im biased, but the 2 dates on the flag are the 2 dates of North Carolina Declarations of Independence from the Crown, the first of any of the colonies. a petty pivitol point in US history.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Boltar Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 3:03:34

Originally posted by mrford:
north carolina. granted im biased, but the 2 dates on the flag are the 2 dates of North Carolina Declarations of Independence from the Crown, the first of any of the colonies. a petty pivitol point in US history.

not knowing what it looks like without googling.. i say u win on ur reasons alone

Colo Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 6:10:46

Colorado! And I am not biased in the least.

Bane04 Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 6:15:58

cali. i also like alaska

Trife Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 6:58:47

virginia, because the lady has her boobie hanging out

Pride Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 8:01:22

Arizona's looks cool. (I'm not from AZ)

mdevol Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 10:04:24

Arizona or Texas
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

elvesrus

Mar 20th 2014, 10:05:50

mmm, beaver
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 20th 2014, 12:02:59

Missouri's is best. If you don't agree you're wrong.

Bombay Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 13:39:40

South Carolina

Makolyte Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 13:41:46

Michigan's sucks. Maybe it's because i associate it with the State Police though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...b/b5/Flag_of_Michigan.svg

Deer... everyone here hates deer. Why? Because you have to constantly look out for them while driving. Most people have hit a deer at some point.

The Eagle... why? That's redundant. We know you're part of the United States, you don't have to keep repeating it.

Latin phrases... dead language, mostly used by pretentious people or for technical / legal terms, such as Modus Operandi (MO), commonly heard in crime shows.

The tiny man standing by the lake... why is he waving at me? Why is he holding a stick? And he looks like a French explorer from back in the day when the French owned this fluff. They got their asses kicked out, so really that's a symbol of getting your ass kicked, maybe that's why the Lions suck.

--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

hawkeyee Game profile

Mar 20th 2014, 14:58:57

If you want to learn about an interesting flag, check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gne3UHKHs

Nepal's constitution actually has step by step geometric instructions on how to design the flag.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

grumpy Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 5:02:02

Pennsylvania Its a commonwealth not a state along with a few more Virginia to mind but I like them the most

Jayr Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 21st 2014, 5:07:20

Edited By: Jayr on Oct 8th 2020, 21:41:49
wasn't me...

Angel1 Game profile

Mar 21st 2014, 11:56:17

Originally posted by grumpy:
Pennsylvania Its a commonwealth not a state along with a few more Virginia to mind but I like them the most

Regardless of what they call themselves, they are states. If they were not states, their citizens would not be entitled to vote for congresspeople. They may be the state of the commonwealth, but they are still states.

Anyway, any other takers for the best state flag?
-Angel1

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 22nd 2014, 2:14:47

I favor the Maryland state flag. It's a simple design, and it has a feel of a coat of arms, in fact, I think that's what it might be.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

mrford Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 2:58:30

Originally posted by hawkeyee:
If you want to learn about an interesting flag, check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gne3UHKHs

Nepal's constitution actually has step by step geometric instructions on how to design the flag.

The flag of the State of North Carolina is defined by law as follows

“ That the flag of North Carolina shall consist of a blue union, containing in the center thereof a white star with the letter N in gilt on the left and the letter C in gilt on the right of said star, the circle containing the same to be one-third the width of the union. The fly of the flag shall consist of two equally proportioned bars; the upper bar to be red, the lower bar to be white; that the length of the bars horizontally shall be equal to the perpendicular length of the union, and the total length of the flag shall be one-third more than its width. That above the star in the center of the union there shall be a gilt scroll in semi-circular form, containing in black letters this inscription "May 20th, 1775," and that below the star there shall be a similar scroll containing in black letters the inscription: "April 12th, 1776".[1]

so does North Carolina's flag?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Viceroy Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 3:23:38

Excluding my home state's flag - either for my inherent bias or because it should be discussed in a separate thread about the best flags for nations (existing or otherwise), your choice - I've always been partial to New Mexico's flag.

Apparently I'm not alone as it's wiki page claims "New Mexico has the best-designed flag of any U.S. state, territory or Canadian province, according to a 2001 survey by the North American Vexillological Association."
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 13:42:44

South Carolina has a cool story behind their flag...

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Carolina

"In 1775, Colonel William Moultrie was asked by the Revolutionary Council of Safety to design a flag for the South Carolina troops to use during the American Revolutionary War. Moultrie's design had the blue of the militia's uniforms and the crescent.

This flag was flown in the defense of a new fortress on Sullivan's Island, when Moultrie faced off against a British fleet that hadn't lost a battle in a century.

In the 16 hour battle on June 28, 1776, the flag was shot down, but Sergeant William Jasper ran out into the open, raising it and rallying the troops until it could be mounted again. This gesture was so heroic, saving Charleston, South Carolina, from conquest for four years, that the flag came to be the symbol of the Revolution, and liberty, in the state and the new nation.

Soon popularly known as either the Moultrie Flag or Liberty Flag, it became the standard of the South Carolina militia, and was presented in Charleston, by Major General Nathanael Greene,when that city was liberated at the end of the war. Greene described it as having been the first American flag to fly over the South.

The palmetto tree was added in 1861, also a reference to Moultrie's defense of Sullivan Island; the fortress he'd constructed had survived largely because the palmetto trees, laid over sand walls, were able to withstand British cannons."

Palmetto trees are crazy dense with fluid when fresh cut. The cannon balls would just bounce off the walls.

matate99 Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 14:11:01

Ohio.

Bonus

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 14:45:32

Originally posted by Makolyte:
Michigan's sucks. Maybe it's because i associate it with the State Police though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...b/b5/Flag_of_Michigan.svg

Deer... everyone here hates deer. Why? Because you have to constantly look out for them while driving. Most people have hit a deer at some point.

The Eagle... why? That's redundant. We know you're part of the United States, you don't have to keep repeating it.

Latin phrases... dead language, mostly used by pretentious people or for technical / legal terms, such as Modus Operandi (MO), commonly heard in crime shows.

The tiny man standing by the lake... why is he waving at me? Why is he holding a stick? And he looks like a French explorer from back in the day when the French owned this fluff. They got their asses kicked out, so really that's a symbol of getting your ass kicked, maybe that's why the Lions suck.

YOU ASK WHY IS HE HOLDING A STICK? SERIOUSLY? WHY IS HE HOLDING A STICK?????

BECAUSE HE'S A SASQUATCH! THAT'S WHAT SASQUATCHES DO! THEY HOLD STICKS! WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE WOODS, THERE'S NOT MUCH MORE TO DO THAN TO HOLD STICKS AND PLAY HIDE AND SEEK!

AND THOSE OBVIOUSLY AREN'T DEER ON THE FLAG. THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS A MOOSE, AND THE ONE ON THE LEFT LOOKS LIKE A DEER, BUT... HE'S AS BIG AS THE MOOSE! AND THE MOOSE IS ABOUT FOUR TIMES THE SIZE OF THE SASQUATCH!!!! HE'S A SASQUEMOUSSE!

AND LOOK AT ALL THOSE WORDS ON THE FLAG! MICHIGAN'S FLAG IS THE ONLY US FLAG THAT COULD ALSO BE A GRADE SCHOOL READING ASSIGNMENT! "OK KIDS, FOR YOUR HOMEWORK, I WANT YOU TO GO READ THE FLAG." THAT'S PRETTY NEAT! WHAT DOES IT SAY ON THE BACK?

TUEBOR! WHAT A GREAT WORD! REMINDS ME OF BEER AND POTATOES, BUT MEANS "I WILL DEFEND". SERIOUSLY, HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER WORD THAN TUEBOR! AND MICHIGAN PUT IT ON THEIR FLAG.

MAN! HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS FLAG BEFORE? I LIKE MICHIGAN'S FLAG SO MUCH I'M GOING TO MOVE THERE. HOW FAR AWAY FROM DETROIT CAN YOU BE AND STILL BE IN MICHIGAN?

Angel1 Game profile

Mar 22nd 2014, 19:01:48

SAM_DANGER, you may look at Marquette, Michigan or Florence, Michigan. Those are on the upper peninsula of Michigan. Detroit is in the south eastern corner of Michigan. In the thumb looking area of Michigan.
-Angel1

Riddler Game profile

Mar 23rd 2014, 15:06:09

Originally posted by Requiem:
Missouri's is best. If you don't agree you're wrong.

Req are you from Missouri? if so what part?

flgatorboy89 Game profile

Mar 23rd 2014, 19:16:40

Florida. And Mississippi. FTW
Jon
ZT, SoL

<jon> off to bed fluffbeater :p
<mrford> i dont beat fluffs
<mrford> i eat them
<mrford> gosh
<jon> well, fluffeater
<Kat> oookay....

Syko_Killa Game profile

Mar 23rd 2014, 19:35:38

Arizona
Do as I say, not as I do.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 23rd 2014, 20:22:46

http://www.aceworld.us/download/p017.jpg all the flags.

ohio's is pretty sick. california is cool because that bear fluffin owns. new mexico's flag is elegant. ummm a few others are kinda good, like arizona and alaska. marylands is the most insane... very distinctive heh. winner is probably ohio
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 23rd 2014, 23:33:52

Hawaii!! Union Jack!

<-- Canadian

Though, aside from that, I like South Carolina (thanks for the story above, that's nifty :), and also Wyoming... A buffalo with a target - err, emblem - on its side!
Finally did the signature thing.

Garry Owen Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 5:58:47

Kentucky. Well, not really but I wish.

Alabama. Simple St Andrews cross. Historic to the union jack and the scots-irish who settled much of alabama.

DonKarnage Game profile

Mar 24th 2014, 21:16:44

Alaska, for randomly throwing stars on a blue rectangle, more than likely conceived from a drunken night.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 24th 2014, 22:36:11

Im glad we settled this and Missouri has the best flag. This thread can be deleted now.

Rosco Game profile

Mar 25th 2014, 4:21:11

Texas Biaches
FFA- Ares VP
Alliance- SOF
Team- MKR

Unsympathetic Game profile

Mar 25th 2014, 4:49:49

I think Texas' flag is the best.

Texas was laughably incompetent at war during the small amount of time they were independent, and yet they pick that as something to memorialize on their flag?

They spent their entire time as a parcel of land not part of the US.. alternately begging for the US to annex them and getting both defeated and taken prisoner by the Mexicans. Texas even invaded New Mexico... and lost.

Viceroy Game profile

Mar 26th 2014, 1:39:40

You obviously have no comprehension of the events that led to the formation of Texas, in any of its manifestations. Your claims are not incorrect but they are far from a full picture of the complex realities of the situation.

In short, feel free to hate, but back it up with a little more substance. That's not even wikipedia level fluff...
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Mar 26th 2014, 5:10:33

Originally posted by Colo:
Colorado! And I am not biased in the least.

I am seconding this!

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

macmd Game profile

Mar 26th 2014, 6:42:52

Texas!

King_Cobra1 Game profile

Mar 27th 2014, 1:50:49

there is only one right answer. What state flag can be held at the same height as the US Flag.

TEXAS!

What other flag has represented their own country before? What other flag has the significance that the Texas flag has.

Angel1 Game profile

Mar 27th 2014, 17:04:45

Originally posted by King_Cobra1:
there is only one right answer. What state flag can be held at the same height as the US Flag.

TEXAS!

What other flag has represented their own country before? What other flag has the significance that the Texas flag has.

Vermont anyone?
-Angel1