Verified:

RaTS FYA Game profile

Feb 27th 2014, 23:21:59

Why not just make it so the market auto buys oil for 60 or whatever the cheapest the private market pays you for it?
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

blid

EE Patron

Feb 27th 2014, 23:28:42

I think that suggestion has merit, but qzjul has previously resisted
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

tellarion Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 2:26:52

Cause then they'd just transfer at 61..?

blid

EE Patron

Feb 28th 2014, 2:36:41

hmm well you probably already know this, but express is the one server you can buy/sell oil on the private market. default sale price is $60. if they're forced to transfer the oil at $61 there's not that same guaranteed income, that automatic & instant 40 bux profit per barrel. $21 public sales when there's a private price 3x that is kinda outlandish. these transfers usually happen early when public market price is around $100 so if public floor was somewhere around 60, most of the profit potential would be gone and it might not be worth trying to abuse anymore
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Feb 28th 2014, 2:38:40

A simpler solution would be to remove standing orders from express...
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

blid

EE Patron

Feb 28th 2014, 2:40:47

im not sure if that's simpler OR as much of a solution as changing the floor price. care to elaborate?

when you put something for sale, it tells you how many minutes it will be before it reaches the market. the person receiving the oil, if it was a transfer, would know exactly when to look for it and if no one else can put out an SO, that person would have an even bigger advantage in getting it first than he would now.

Xinhuan Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 2:42:01

$21 is probably just too low a floor price.

blid

EE Patron

Feb 28th 2014, 2:43:59

n/m

bepulse Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 3:22:13

My $.02:

Another solution may be to update a mean price of each market item with each game tick, and to restrict offers of all types to a percentage range of the median price. In this fashion, price changes would be limited to a given price range during each game tick.

For example, say the market price of oil is 60 and a 10% limit is instituted. A seller can only dump at 54 at the lowest. If he does this, then when the next game tick occurs, the mean price will likely be near 54, then near 49 (48.6), and so on.

Illicit transfers may still be possible, but price swings could at least be mitigated to be spread over a longer period of play time without having to eliminate the standard order feature. I suppose there would have to be a feature of having SOs be cancelled if the order amount falls outside an items range.

bepulse Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 3:24:23

@me

who cares? this is just a stupid game. go troll yourself.

blid

EE Patron

Feb 28th 2014, 3:26:01

I thought it was an interesting concept.

hsifreta Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 4:31:22

no can do. that's what happened to the chinese:us dollar exchange rate.

if you have an institutionalized limit, what ends up happening is that demand drops for a certain product so much that it no longer sells at that price. eg. if we're all destocking bushels going from 42 to 39 to 36, what ends up happening might be that we have a lot of stuck food at all these prices because noone is buying, and everyone is trying to sell for lower, and buyers wait till the market crashes to spend turns. so food simply wont sell until the very end of the set.

bepulse Game profile

Feb 28th 2014, 13:42:02

Hmm... I'm working on another solution now.

I don't have all the logistics mapped out yet, but it involves a giant gorilla.

I keep you all updated.

Viceroy Game profile

Mar 1st 2014, 1:40:09

Tracy the Gorilla?
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

braden Game profile

Mar 1st 2014, 4:00:02

you had me at gorilla