Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 2nd 2014, 15:07:24

Often when I travel I always look for local spots to frequent rather than big chains: McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc... Not because I am some kind of hipster but because they usually have better coffee! (and I'm no coffee snob!)

How many others out there would rather support local coffee shops vs. big corporate shops?

I've also ran across this article about a few coffee shops in the DC area who have a customer disloyalty card and after someone visits all 6 independent shops they get a free cup. Brilliant!

http://www.takepart.com/...s-create-dis-loyalty-card

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Feb 2nd 2014, 18:07:23

That's cool
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

mrford Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 18:09:16

i dont drink coffee

yeah, i know.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

ssewellusmc

Feb 2nd 2014, 18:17:40

You would think that Mr Ford would need a caffeine fix given the fact that he has 196 kids...

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 2nd 2014, 19:06:35

Originally posted by ssewellusmc:
You would think that Mr Ford would need a caffeine fix given the fact that he has 196 kids...

And a pet chupacabra....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

braden Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 20:12:01

i prefer my coffee like my women; black, bitter and preferably not fair trade.
+archer

(though i think he says ptreferably fair trade)

albob Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 20:57:35

i'd usually try and find a speciality coffee shop. Usually they have better machines and top notch grinders and a barista that actually knows that they or doing or cares. Here in Aussie we have milk flat white / latte etc the local shops probably want you to buy a sandwich ir something else with your coffee to help fund the biz as apposed to the chains with the staff who don't really give a fluff either way...

--

AL

" You can never have too much cheese... unless your... "

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 21:15:01

NOT MUCH OF A COFFEE SHOP PERSON MYSELF (I PREFER MY PLAIN OLD REGULAR COFFEE I BREW MYSELF) BUT I HAVE FOUND THIS PHILOSOPHY OF AVOIDING THE BIG CHAINS TO BE USEFUL IN ALMOST EVERY FACET OF CONSUMER LIFE.

PARTICULARLY WITH RESTAURANTS. WHEN I'M IN A NEW TOWN, I LIKE TO SEEK OUT THE LOCALLY OWNED RESTAURANTS RATHER THAN GOOGLE WHERE THE CLOSEST RED LOBSTER IS. DON'T GET ME WRONG... I LIKE RED LOBSTER. BUT SOME OF THE BEST MEALS I'VE EVER HAD HAVE COME FROM THE LITTLE "SHACK-EY" LOOKING PLACE THAT ONLY THE LOCALS REALLY KNOW ABOUT.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN YOU'RE IN VEGAS, SURE YOU CAN GO TO RUTH'S CHRIS AND GET A DAMN GOOD STEAK.. BUT IF YOU DO A LITTLE LOOKING YOU'LL FIND A QUAINT LITTLE STEAK HOUSE IN BELLAGIO THAT IS JUST ABSOLUTELY UNBEATABLE.

HA!

SAM

Oceana Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 21:27:31

in Vegas: "Holy Cow" at the top of the strip had a great cook last time i was there, and they have there own local brew. Great food and beer and inexpensive.

But I agree on the coffee and restrarunts: Local shops do much better

macmd Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 21:49:25

If I'm traveling, the quality of coffee is only one factor in my choice and is sometimes less important than whether there is a place to sit and food options.

Those things being equal, I like trying a local place, but it is more of a risk. Depends on whether I'm ok with bad coffee at that time.

braden Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 22:10:28

i trust whom i believe not to forego health safety for a slight profit.

last weeks lettuce is not salad worthy. youd think that would be implied, but its far from it.

Vic Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 22:21:27

dominican joe's you n00bs!
http://www.dominicanjoe.com/story.asp

Shinigami Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 22:33:52

Originally posted by Vic:
dominican joe's you n00bs!
http://www.dominicanjoe.com/story.asp

Damn, beat me to it.

Both, basically. I tend to favor small and local when it's local to me. I don't go out of my way to hunt down small and local when I travel unless I'm going to be there long enough to make it worth the effort (or someone has recommended a place to me.)

Riddler Game profile

Feb 2nd 2014, 22:46:28

I like little hole in the wall places over any chain of any kind

Garry Owen Game profile

Feb 3rd 2014, 1:15:11

Just plain coffee.

When I first went on a campout with my son's scout troop, the dads were all talking about how they make all kinds of special grounds, and such... then they asked me what kind of coffee I drink. My answer: "Whatever the sergeant major makes, and happy to get it." :)

ssewellusmc

Feb 3rd 2014, 1:16:27

What kind of Sgt Maj actually makes coffee?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 3rd 2014, 1:27:26

That's awesome Garry. Dont forget all our coffee is imported haha! I'd try dom joes if I was ever in austin...

Xinhuan Game profile

Feb 3rd 2014, 2:50:06

HA Sam!

I went to Gordon Ramsay's Steakhouse at Vegas just to see if it lives up to the hype. It actually does.

Heh.

qwertyqwerty Game profile

Feb 3rd 2014, 19:53:09

Coffee hipster, drinks his coffee before it gets cool

cruddy Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 0:09:04

i don't really care as long as it's not too out of the ordinary. I drink instant coffee at care, but I also drink dunlin, starbucks, small coffee shops...

braden Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 0:21:03

timmy ho-hos

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2014, 0:27:36

ive never tried instant coffee... is it any good?

braden Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 1:08:27

yes, you get to make it as strong as you might like.. i drink black coffee, and prefer it strong as i can get it

but others have told me that they particularly dislike it.. and then go spend fifteen minutes with a french press, so.. :P

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 7:29:52

FOR ME IT'S USUALLY A MATTER OF CONVENIENCE WHEN IT COMES TO COFFEE (SO USUALLY STARBUCKS IF I'M IN UNFAMILIAR LANDS), ALTHOUGH WHEN I'M AT HOME I PREFER A LOCALLY OWNED PLACE THAT HAS SUPERIOR QUALITY.

AS FOR DINING, I AM IN 100% AGREEMENT WITH SAM! IN FACT, I HAVE A STRICT RULE WHEN OUT OF TOWN: "NO EATING AT A PLACE I COULD EAT AT HOME." THAT RULE HAS RARELY FAILED ME, AND WHEN APPLIED IN CONJUNCTION WITH CAREFUL PERUSING OF YELP REVIEWS, HAS RESULTED IN FINDING AWESOME QUIRKY THAI PLACES, AN AMAZING ITALIAN JOINT IN A VIRGINIA STRIP MALL, TURKISH CUISINE, AND DISCOVERY OF THE FINEST BEER IN THE HISTORY OF BEERS (SAM ADAMS CHERRY CHOCOLATE BOCK) AT THUNDER BURGER IN GEORGETOWN.

OF COURSE, WE LIVE IN A DESOLATE WASTELAND SO I ALSO DO GET TO TAKE THE EASY OUT AND HIT A CHAIN FROM TIME-TO-TIME, SINCE WE DON'T HAVE CHILI'S, BUFFALO WILD WINGS, ETC ETC HERE, SO THEY DON'T VIOLATE MY RULE!

HA!
BILL

cruddy Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 10:11:21

yeah instant coffee is pretty good, i like the nescafe brand. i don't bother with expensive instant coffee like starbucks. it is so much faster than making drip or french press in the morning, and it's a lot cheaper than keurig.

Atryn Game profile

Feb 5th 2014, 13:14:54

Big corporate coffee here. I'm a creature of habit and I always have been. I find that my habits are comforting and release my mind to focus on other things. So yeah, I get my Starbucks every morning no matter what city I am in.

The last thing I want when on a business trip is to try some new coffee shop in the morning and be in a bad mood all day.

That said, it should be noted that any place with "We Proudly Server Starbucks..." is NOT Starbucks and 90% of the time SUCKS horribly. It is so annoying that the company lends their brand to what is typically garbage service with no barista skills...

:)

Oh, and I also use SB loyalty program so I get lots of free stuff through that, which helps reinforce my habit/loyalty.

oats Game profile

Feb 6th 2014, 2:54:21

i have found it more delicious to partake in the juices of other beans. a solid cup of bean broth is worth procuring wherever you find yourself. big corporate bean broth has yet to penetrate the market so you are pretty much faced with only local choices, so there is no question or internal debating on ethical choices. but if you want to start a bean juice franchise i suggest the name McBean's.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 6th 2014, 4:46:10

I learned to make Armenian style coffee from my boss, now THAT is badass!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Angel1 Game profile

Feb 7th 2014, 3:14:30

Originally posted by Requiem:
That's awesome Garry. Dont forget all our coffee is imported haha! I'd try dom joes if I was ever in austin...

Not sure where you're from, but if you're from the US and you really like to try coffee, then you might try some Kona Coffee and skip the importing part.

http://konacoffee.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21
-Angel1

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 7th 2014, 4:36:34

Ahh ok I forgot about Hawaii.... I guess technically that is America. The one place in America they can grow coffee. Touche Angel, touche.

Boltar Game profile

Feb 7th 2014, 6:10:25

come to the northeast.. WaWa ill say no more.. even tisya enjoyed a cup of it.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Feb 7th 2014, 18:13:32

I like black coffee. black like your hearts!

I just drink what I like which includes Mcdonald's coffee (not so much starbux).

Nothing beats the traditional Ethiopian coffee though. Mind you they invented the stuff..:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Angel1 Game profile

Feb 7th 2014, 18:19:14

Originally posted by Requiem:
Ahh ok I forgot about Hawaii.... I guess technically that is America. The one place in America they can grow coffee. Touche Angel, touche.

Hawaii also grows cacao: http://www.ohcf.us/products.html
-Angel1

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 7th 2014, 23:16:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVE5iPMKLg
Martian you will like that video, NERD!

Angel1, I feel like in your next post you will try to sale me a Hawaiian vacation because you've sold me!

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Feb 8th 2014, 0:01:54

I don't drink coffee, but when I go with friends, we ONLY go to little shops. The atmosphere is much better, and it supports locals :)

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Feb 10th 2014, 7:46:55

HEY XINHUAN!

I USUALLY AVOID PLACES THAT ARE NAMED FOR A FAMOUS PERSON/CHEF BECAUSE I FIGURE WHAT YOU'RE REALLY PAYING FOR IS THE NAME.

HOWEVER, SINCE YOU RECOMMENDED GORDON RAMSAY, WE WENT TO THE GORDON RAMSAY PUB AND GRILLE IN CAESAR'S PALACE TODAY. IT WAS FANTASTIC. A BIT OVER PRICED (I DID NOT APPRECIATE PAYING 11 DOLLARS FOR A PINT OF GUINNESS) BUT MAN WAS THAT FOOD GOOD.

I HAD SHEPHERD'S PIE, WHICH YOU WOULD THINK IS PRETTY STANDARD EVERYWHERE... DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DID TO IT TO MAKE IT DIFFERENT, BUT IT WAS THE BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE I'VE EVER HAD... AND I'VE HAD A LOT!

MY WIFE ORDERED OYSTERS ON THE HALF SHELL FOR AN APPETIZER, WHICH I USUALLY CANNOT STAND, AND DO NOT PARTAKE OF. HOWEVER, THESE WERE SERVED WITH A VINEGAR AND ONION DIPPING SAUCE WHICH MADE THEM EDIBLE EVEN FOR A RAW-OYSTER-HATER LIKE ME.

OVERALL, GORDON GETS MY SEAL OF APPROVAL!

d20 Game profile

Feb 10th 2014, 9:17:28

bonus