Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2013, 13:06:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC52jZYQmYc

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//http://www.youtube.com/embed/PC52jZYQmYc"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2013, 13:06:50

Hey idea with new forums.... Allow HTML!!!

Marshal Game profile

Nov 23rd 2013, 14:03:55

Originally posted by Requiem:
Hey idea with new forums.... Allow HTML!!!

imagine what spambots would do then and players inserting youtube vids (10+ vids on 1 thread and .....).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2013, 14:32:11

Marhsal, HTML is allowed on boxcar.

We do have mods for a reason also!

Put them lazy bastards to work!!!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 23rd 2013, 14:37:22

We'd do BB code before HTML
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2013, 14:40:02

Originally posted by Pang:
We'd do BB code before HTML

Same difference, DUH!

Watcher Observer

Nov 24th 2013, 2:58:48

BB code is the stupidest thing ever invented. Just implement a subset of HTML. Why add another layer and another language.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 24th 2013, 3:42:52

Originally posted by Watcher Observer:
BB code is the stupidest thing ever invented. Just implement a subset of HTML. Why add another layer and another language.

Because it can be hard to cleanse the various attributes and JavaScript commands that can be inserted, to prevent XSS exploits
Finally did the signature thing.

Watcher Observer

Nov 24th 2013, 4:33:18

Originally posted by qzjul:
Originally posted by Watcher Observer:

Because it can be hard to cleanse the various attributes and JavaScript commands that can be inserted, to prevent XSS exploits

Very true, but once and done and I am sure it has been done before and is accessible. I despise BBcode, and while easier to implement and maybe inherently more secure it is an abomination to everything the internet was founded on. I don't really mind simple quotes like we have now, but once it begins all the sudden you end up with a fully implemented language that basically mirrors html. See phpbb an example.

I am against any of it though personally. The last thing I think most of us want is to come here and see youtube vids all over and size 72 text of Alin's thoughts plastered in every thread.

</rant>

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 24th 2013, 5:38:24

It is extremely hard to implement secure subsets of HTML that doesn't break the forums with an errant extra opening or closing angle brackets, and break every HTML table.

iframes are one of the worst culprits, enabling you to completely embed any webpage inside another webpage.

Ever seen how you can completely fluff up a whole forum that nobody could visit or use if you accidentally edit a topic title and missed out a closing ">"?