Verified:

Mr.Silver

Jun 22nd 2013, 19:55:38

Patty, osso, thumper, etc..

How you guys doing? Anyone in any of those evacuation zones?

Wonder how sanitary stampede is gonna be this year

Osso Game profile

Jun 22nd 2013, 20:23:39

I'm doing good. My place is up in marda loop, so I am reasonably unaffected. I grew up in bowness though, so I know a tonne of people who have been forced to evacuate. Thankfully my moms place down there is at a higher altitude and has been unaffected so far. Also grateful that so few people have been hurt. Stuff can be replaced.

How are thingS where you are at?
Evo FA

Mr.Silver

Jun 22nd 2013, 20:58:22

Good here, Auburn bay is high enough to be away from everything, I walked down into Cranston and looked over that chaparral valley area.. Holy crap, the water was like 4-5m higher than normal and the river was 3x wider.. Plus had created lakes out of most the areas down there.

Also drove past lafarg off the deerfoot and the water is high enough to be almost fully covering a bunch of cement trucks. My sisters place near Chinook got evacuated so she's here now.. She might be screwed being a low level apartment half below ground level

Edited By: Mr.Silver on Jun 22nd 2013, 21:03:28
See Original Post

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jun 23rd 2013, 1:32:10

Patty seems to be ok, I have been seeing her post on facebook. Superfly is also in Calgary. Last I knew he was filling up his bathtub.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Fuji Game profile

Jun 23rd 2013, 2:17:02

North Calgary has been good. Crazy how quickly the markets ran out of food and water around here though.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 23rd 2013, 19:08:53

My GF is visiting her parents in Chapparral Valley Grove, the water didn't quite make it to their houses, but it made a *good chunk* of the way across the golf course heh....
Finally did the signature thing.

Patience Game profile

Jun 24th 2013, 5:50:17

Holy crap, Silver - we're neighbors! I'm in Bridlewood. lol Nothing here beyond soggy lawns, but I hear the golf course in Cranston is a big lake.

Things are okay here - I'm also unaffected, but half my family has lost property. Immediate family is fine, but my stepfather's entire family lives between here and High River. They were hit really hard, including the Millarville house that fell into the flood. :(

I'm still sitting here with a bunch of pots and a bathtub full of water, just in case - I filled it up Thursday night. I think we're safe now, but I'm not draining that puppy until it stops freakin' raining for GOOD.

The entire downtown core is shut down, although it looks like they're going to let property managers in tomorrow to assess the damage, which is a really good sign. Calgary's downtown core is being called the economic centre of Canada - every minute it's powered down is costing millions. We can't even work remotely at this point, as the networks are failing... only the most essential personnel are able to do anything. Meeting our July 1st deadline is looking iffy.

On the upside... people have been awesome. Everyone is pulling together, there are many more volunteers than there are jobs for them at this point. Hoping the cleanup starts soon - up until now it's mostly been just sitting and waiting for the waters to recede, but it looks like we'll be able to start cleaning up soon. The insurance claims will likely be in the billions though... thousands of homes were flooded, farms ruined, vehicles floated away, businesses wiped out - scary. :(
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Patience Game profile

Jun 24th 2013, 5:51:06

Oh, and Silver... thumper moved from Calgary years ago, and I haven't heard from him since. Unless he's back, and I just don't know it?

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Mr.Silver

Jun 24th 2013, 5:57:40

patty: oh he did? good stuff, I remember him saying he lived in Riverbend way back when.

dang, we're really close. should arrange for an earth meet one of these days. I don't drink, but I'm always up for some chicken wings :)

qz: have you seen pictures from there? I'm seriously shocked those homes aren't under water lol. but all the fields where the paths are right next to it seem to be under a lake now.

We were looking to build last year and it was an area we loved the way it looked but didn't think it would hold up to a flood so decided not to. LOL they actually had to keep announcing on the news "Chapperal Valley is NOT under evacuation" was the only community they ever listed in the "Not" catagory lol.

Patience Game profile

Jun 24th 2013, 6:09:14

Yep, we should! qzjul should come down too. :)

I'm feeling pretty lucky about now. I was born in this city, and I never would have even THOUGHT about flooding when buying a house because it happens so rarely here (never, really, until 2005 - unless you lived in one of the Million Dollar Row houses right on the river). I bought this place because I loved it - it's just by sheer accident that it wasn't located at the bottom of a river valley somewhere.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 24th 2013, 12:12:47

most of my friends/family in Calgary are lucky enough not to be in the affected areas.
My employer is paying for some golf courses though:P
My parents were hiking in Canmore like 3 days before all this happened..
Glad to hear the lot of you are alright.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 24th 2013, 18:54:36

silver: yea i have, my GF posted a bunch on facebook; it's pretty nuts heh, it was almost to the bottom of the 22X bridge -- really freaking high!!

And yea, next time i'm heading down to calgary that'd be good :)

I was hoping to get out to the mountains in canmore one of these weeks, I guess I'll wait a couple and see how they fix it up heh
Finally did the signature thing.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 24th 2013, 22:15:24

I sincerely hope you laid in a stock of chicken boullion and pastini for emergency rations, Patty. :) Glad to hear you are OK, I was getting concerned. :)
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Patience Game profile

Jun 28th 2013, 17:46:11

Holy crap. A full week and my building downtown is still running on emergency generator, not fit for return to work. Our main office tower (TransCanada Tower) is up and running, but they're asking people not to return because they need to keep the streets clear for emergency vehicles and cleanup... I'm guessing that even when my building opens up, I'm only going to be able to get back in there long enough to grab my laptop. Could be weeks before I can work in the office again. :(

Madly working with a couple of rescue sites to reunite people with lost pets. Thousands of pets have been recovered, only hundreds reunited so far. I'm stunned at the fallout. :(

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 28th 2013, 19:53:18

:(
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Angel1 Game profile

Jun 30th 2013, 4:26:07

Best of luck to all our friends in Calgary, Canada. This time three years ago, a huge swath of Tennessee was cleaning up from flooding. Just remember to lend each other your help and you'll be back on top before you know it.

Stay safe everyone!
-Angel1

trumper Game profile

Jul 1st 2013, 17:29:27

How does flood insurance work in Canada? Sorry to hear about all the flooding for you all. That's horrible and will take a while to cleanup.

EDge Game profile

Jul 1st 2013, 19:11:25

No overland flood insurance available for residential households

Patience Game profile

Jul 2nd 2013, 21:10:02

Yep, no flood insurance unless the water is coming up from the sewer system into your basement. But I'm reasonably sure that homeowners will be compensated by the government somehow...

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 3rd 2013, 13:31:45

for residential you cannot get flood insurance due to groud water swelling. You are usually covered for sewer back up (not always), rain, and "mysterious underground water surges".

In any case, from the moment a "state of emergency" is declared, your insurance generally won't cover anything related to it regardless of if it would otherwise be covered.

In the case of large scale floods and states of emergency, the government has multiple disaster relief programs in place to deal with it, even if it's not explicitely for something like this.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!