Verified:

rebelnbk Game profile

May 9th 2013, 21:06:48

I am dutch and my english is, even after 15 years of playing this game, still not that good. :p
I am making a paper about Arab-Americans. I am using data from the American Community Survey. I am wondering what 'community' in this context means. Is it a population group, like the Syrian minority. Or is it a part of a city/village? I dont get it.
Your help is much appreciated.

"The American Community Survey (ACS) is a nationwide survey designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing through critical economic, social, demographic and housing information. Every year the ACS will provide communities with the same kind of detailed information previously available only from the long form of the U.S. Census. It is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis throughout the decade. No household will receive the survey more often than once every five years."

Marshal Game profile

May 9th 2013, 21:21:30

city is my guess.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

rebelnbk Game profile

May 9th 2013, 21:46:30

Thank you. That would make sense I guess.

There is some disagreement about the 'race' section in this survey. People cant choose 'Arabic', arabic people should choose 'White'. Does anybody know why this section is important?
Maybe if a community has a high % of a race other then white, then such community will get more federal or state fund?
If so then I understand the disagreement arabs have with this question. If they choose white their community wont get as much money as they should.

Pain Game profile

May 9th 2013, 22:07:34

because theyre not white people? :P
Your mother is a nice woman

PapaSmurf Game profile

May 10th 2013, 1:38:59

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._the_United_States_Census

I have arguments about this before.

sigma Game profile

May 10th 2013, 2:26:37

The US govt has always in some form or another asked the race question in the census. The census is used to get a count of how many people live where, and is used to determine how many representatives to the house of representatives that each state has. I would suppose that the biggest reason for including race in the first Census, was to differential between free persons/indentured servants and everyone else (not including "Indians").

The reason its still relevant today, has mostly to do with legislative requirements in various acts (civil rights acts, voting rights acts, etc) for racial and ethnic data to be collected. Insofar as that data being used to direct money, I am not aware of that being the case---except for in the cases where they implement outreach programs and advertising, etc.

Here's a pretty good link for you to go over that the OMB published. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_race-ethnicity

rebelnbk Game profile

May 10th 2013, 5:52:00

Thanks guys. I think I got it.

Dragon Game profile

May 12th 2013, 19:39:49

Originally posted by rebelnbk:
I am dutch and my english is, even after 15 years of playing this game, still not that good. :p
I am making a paper about Arab-Americans. I am using data from the American Community Survey. I am wondering what 'community' in this context means. Is it a population group, like the Syrian minority. Or is it a part of a city/village? I dont get it.
Your help is much appreciated.

In this context, "community" actually describes both a particular demographic (type or group of people) as well as those groups in cities, I'd think.

I don't know how the Netherlands are, but here in America, we tend to identify people by ethnic background as well as congregating in ethnic communities....

For example, most major American cities have a "Chinatown" where people of Chinese ethic origin both congregate and live. There are also plenty of "Little Italy" type communities within large metropolitan areas.

So the ACS describes both the ethic makeup of geographical areas as well as identifying specific ethnic communities within cities and towns.

America is so big and so ethnically diverse that nearly every town has a "Chinatown" or "Little Italy" or in the case of my city, "Communities" aren't based on people of a certain ethnic background living in the same neighborhood but rather based on religion.

We have a very robust Lebanese, Greek and Italian "community" for example. Where they live is spread out, but they tend to go to specific churches based on their ethnic background.

Mr Emerald

May 13th 2013, 4:21:07

Don't listen to marshal, he will post ANYTHING to get a higher post count ;)
We are not the same, I am martian!
you are all retarded in the eyes of fluff
o o
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER TEDDY BEAR!!!