Verified:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 20th 2013, 14:22:33

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/...or-being-white-in-philly/

white people actually live in Philadelphia? thought they all moved out to the suburbs to get away from the crime. oh, and don't start yelling "prejudiced" at me, because the thought is actually based more on experience than a judgment based on little evidence. feel free to call me any other derogatory term though. oh, and I'll probably under the influence in an hour or two. plus i haven't read whatever article it is that this article is talking about.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Locutus Game profile

Mar 20th 2013, 16:58:46

Racist P.O.S.

I bet you are so racist that you changed the background of this site to white instead of keeping the default black background

Mar 20th 2013, 17:00:34

i have the option of changing the background? wow, i've been tolerating it for no reason whatsoever?

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 20th 2013, 17:02:49

Yeah, based on my observations and vacation there, a number of them actually do.

You simply can't discuss race relations honestly in the USA
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Mar 20th 2013, 17:11:02

Originally posted by martian:
Yeah, based on my observations and vacation there, a number of them actually do.

You simply can't discuss race relations honestly in the USA

dunno. i actually wonder why they classify whites as a majority when I'm there. maybe i need to stand outside and smoke in different places in the city. only problems that i have there are the people asking me for money, but they don't seem to have a specific color.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 20th 2013, 17:21:28

No one asked me for money when I was there although I should say that the way I travel doesn't exactly cry "I have money". Also I found the black people very friendly and the white people somewhat cautious and paranoid. Someone tried to sell me drugs there although for the record I would say about 75% of my vacations involve someone trying to sell me drugs at some point. I haven't exactly figured out why though since I don't look like that and I've never been seriously searched by security or customs anywhere.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Mar 20th 2013, 17:40:47

i spend most of my outside time on Broad Street. could be that I'm just stuck on a route that pays out the best. was the article about black people?

hmm, i got distracted. i was pondering the irony of somebody named "Locutus" calling me a Racist P.O.S. let's see, you're named after a fluff whipped Jean Luc Picard. whose only value to the beotch that gave him orders was his knowledge of Star Fleet security codes. whose entire goal was to homogenize everybody into a cybernetic organism that did everything that she wanted.

Mar 20th 2013, 19:11:16

think they need to update the Encyclopaedia Britannica, because the only reference produced by a search for Locutus resulted in a portion of the Magnificat. "sicut locutus est ad patres nostros".

Locutus Game profile

Mar 20th 2013, 19:24:24

lol :)

Mar 20th 2013, 19:58:13

yah, lol. but I'm stuck with figuring out why i thought you might've been named after a Roman instead of a Borg. swear i saw a reference to Locutus on my Nook. hmmm, maybe i should've searched my Star Trek movie ebooks, though they only cover the first four Star Trek movies.

oh guess we should get back to discussing why white people in Philly don't feel comfortable around the black people that were recently imported from Louisiana.

Zahc Game profile

Mar 20th 2013, 20:22:53

Philly is really big. Plenty of white people live there but its pretty segregated. You have to go to the more expensive areas to find whiteys
llort orp s`fos

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 20th 2013, 20:30:07

He did start using that name around when that star trek movie came out iirc.

And yeah, like most of the US.. pretty segregated. Although I road the subway through the "black" areas and never got a second look even though 90% of the passengers were black. Something I probably wouldn't want to do in Atlanta:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Mar 20th 2013, 20:37:57

i must live in the wrong neighborhood if most of the US is segregated.

all kinds of colors and at least 4 different languages that i don't understand.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Mar 20th 2013, 20:41:11
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 20th 2013, 20:46:07

you really need to lay off the acid..
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Mar 20th 2013, 20:49:58

do i look like John Lennon? am i wishing for peace on earth? I'd settle for peace within a 10 mile radius, but the idiots won't even give me that.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 20th 2013, 20:52:00

They ask for money in Philly?, fluff, in L.A they whack you and take it!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Mar 20th 2013, 20:57:51

no, that wouldn't work on me. I'd make a killing in BBQ ribs though.

Vic Game profile

Mar 20th 2013, 20:58:18

Philadelphia Cricket Club baby!!!

...yes Philly has a decently high concentration of socially prominent clubs, and in turn, many social elite - all 'white'.

There is a great disparity of wealth in Philadelphia so yes there is poverty very close to the nicest neighborhoods in the city. But the affluent neighborhoods are still very much in tact.

There is also a particularly social elite grouping of these Philadelphians that summer in Kennebunkport.
And trust, they're super white

Mar 20th 2013, 21:08:18

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42101.html

83% white. hmm, guess all's i see is a bunch of commuters coming to Philly to work for whitey. because the people that i see would make Philly 75% um, what's that b word that I'm allowed to use?

Mar 20th 2013, 21:20:02

think i should see a lot more Chinese people considering thst my bus route envelopes Chinatown. oh well. guess maybe that article is full of crap.

Mar 20th 2013, 21:27:52

hmmm, 83% white should mean that if I'm standing on the street, that there should be 3 other white people around me most of the time. somebody screwed up their census.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 20th 2013, 22:39:29

I lived in Philly for many years. I rarely had any problems with my black neighbors. I lived in what was popularly called "The Black Bottom". This is the area in West Philly between 39th and 42nd and Lancaster Avenues.

There are many, many good people and families living here. You always have the criminal element everywhere you go.

Some of the nicest people I've ever met live here.

The article in question is related to a magazine's employment record of hiring mostly white people. I can understand that some folks are upset that there aren't more black people writing and editing for this magazine, but I don't believe that this is indicative of an outright prejudiced attitude at the magazine. Rather, I just don't think that the black folks really care much for journalism of the sort that this magazine prints and thus do no apply to be writers/editors at the rag.

This is a non-issue.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Mar 20th 2013, 23:22:56

wonder why all those white people are voting fer colored Mayors. token Mayors? must be there just to add a little color to the city. the city us 83% white, but the Mayor ain't?

Unsympathetic Game profile

Mar 21st 2013, 3:36:36

I live in Fishtown, part of Philly. If you're in a bad part of town, it doesn't matter what race the person is who takes your wallet.

I do like the vapid presumptions of the author:
1) "I feel that they are intimidated" - Based on what data, exactly? That's the real subject of the article.. everything else is getting causality incorrect.
2) "I also wanted to put their feet to the fire" - Translation: I don't have an idea other than to provoke anger and then claim journalism as a shield.

They're not intimidated because there's an issue.. there's an issue because the author is deliberately attempting to intimidate random people into giving good quote.

The guy is a hack, ignore him.

Sean

Mar 21st 2013, 3:40:14

will smith came from philly. he's basically white.

Makolyte Game profile

Mar 21st 2013, 19:41:44

Paddy's Pub has 4 whities in it.
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

trumper Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 13:41:29

If people were protesting the story, then they're just looking for something to cry wolf about. The story was fine and actually very introspective:
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/

As for the magazine not having many Black writers or editors, they could probably say the same thing about many facets of city business, yet they don't because those city businesses don't try to engage in a dialogue. Instead everyone does the go-along to get-along dance that really doesn't change anything. And the flip side is often city government, at least it is in DC, where the proportion of Black city workers far outstripes the actual racial context of the city, but no one says anything.

I read the article and enjoyed it. I particularly liked Jen at the ending because I think her experience is right. My experience in DC was it was more of a class thing, but there was a racial tinge. And of course there were some rough edges. But once I got to know folks, race evaporated. Unfortunately most in the city still choose to self-segregrate and think all sorts of crazy crap about the other race (for instance, that somehow there is tactit acceptance of crimes within the Black community or that whites are on a crusade to gentrify DC with bike lanes--both are ridiculous assertions yet belived by so many folks I know Black and White).

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 14:12:07

snitches get stitches trumper.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 14:46:46

Ruthie

Mar 22nd 2013, 14:53:31

wow ... i didnt realize there were lots of Philly people here

*hides*
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

trumper Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 15:12:46

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
snitches get stitches trumper.

Oh Bawlmore.... and Carmello.....

Actually the shooting at North Cap and NY Ave here in DC was allegedly motivated by a snitching incident. Also a shooting outside new nightclub at 17th & L, which is basically the middle of the Golden Triangle, ie high-priced lobbyist/White House area.

Mar 22nd 2013, 15:38:58

snitches get stitches? Thugs Get Plugged.

i only visit Philly. might catch me dead there one of these days, though I'd rather avoid that situation.

trumper Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 16:14:14

Snitches get stiches is the old line from B'more back in early 2000s. They had a whole dvd movie that even featured Carmello Anothony sold for $5 and t-shirts. No joke.

Mar 22nd 2013, 16:34:56

domestic terrorism. no wonder they want to use drones here. don't want me to tell, don't do things that'll send you to hell.

trumper Game profile

Mar 22nd 2013, 21:02:55

The Wire's drug dealers probably had anti-drone technology before Al Qaeda even realized they were being watched on drones.

Mar 22nd 2013, 21:37:20

hmm, i don't know The Wire, but it doesn't surprise me that drug dealers can afford technology. if Americans were willing to give the government the same amount of money that they spend on drugs... hmm, what would happen? oh, we could probably afford to feed the poor starving crack addicts.

Heston Game profile

Mar 24th 2013, 5:30:32

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
hmm, i don't know The Wire, but it doesn't surprise me that drug dealers can afford technology. if Americans were willing to give the government the same amount of money that they spend on drugs... hmm, what would happen? oh, we could probably afford to feed the poor starving crack addicts.

We are feeding poor starving crack addicts, its called welfare, the bastards hustle it for drugs though.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 24th 2013, 6:48:37

The claim that Philly is 83% white is ludicrous on it's face. Like I said, I lived there for a long time and I can assure you that the vast majority of whites fled the city long ago. There is some gentrification going on in some of the formerly tony neighborhoods where some white folks are trying to revitalize that area, but by and large, Philly is mostly black people.

If you want to find out how that works, simply do a search for the article named "40 blocks of squalor" written by some suburbanite about his commute to work every day on Chestnut street.

aponic Game profile

Mar 24th 2013, 22:38:31

The 'white flight' which occurred in Philadelphia and other northeastern United States cities was not caused by crime Dibs. It was caused by the suburban sprawl enabled by cheap petrol prices and the advent of the interstate highway system in the mid 1950's. When the manufacturing centers of northern Philadelphia and Camden were wholesaled overseas, the blue collar jobs in the city and union work were dealt a severe blow. This progression of events is responsible for the 'white flight'. It has many racist overtones that continue today. Crime in Philadelphia is a result of the high poverty levels.

Just stopping in to let you know that you are still an ignorant ass.
SOF
Cerevisi

Mar 24th 2013, 22:52:57

nice that you pay attention to me and you feel that your opinion counts for something, but all's I'm hearing when i read your posts is a kind of pfffffft sound. kinda like something might be trying to escape from Uranus.

let's see, everyone increased their costs of living to move out of the city so that they could commute back into the city because there was no work in the city for them to go do?

Unsympathetic Game profile

Mar 25th 2013, 0:25:06

Cerberus, it's clear you're old enough to have stopped caring whether or not your thoughts are accurate.

Every 10 years, a census is taken of the entire country. This census determines a population count, racial makeup of that population, and other interesting data points.. all of them conveniently ignored by Republicans.

Like it or not, the 2010 census is the closest thing we've got to established fact.

There's also something magical called Wikipedia.

As of 2010, Philly had 1,517,550 people:
44.2% Black
39.0% White
5.4% Asian - and the rest are "other."

I'm living in Philly today, and I can assure you that there's plenty of white people all around me.

trumper Game profile

Mar 25th 2013, 0:49:58

Originally posted by aponic:
The 'white flight' which occurred in Philadelphia and other northeastern United States cities was not caused by crime Dibs. It was caused by the suburban sprawl enabled by cheap petrol prices and the advent of the interstate highway system in the mid 1950's. When the manufacturing centers of northern Philadelphia and Camden were wholesaled overseas, the blue collar jobs in the city and union work were dealt a severe blow. This progression of events is responsible for the 'white flight'. It has many racist overtones that continue today. Crime in Philadelphia is a result of the high poverty levels.

Just stopping in to let you know that you are still an ignorant ass.

Can't speak to Philly or Camden, but I suspect folks in DC would disagree if you said the same thing. Those were contributing factors toward the move. Race still motivated most of it. Some out of ignorance over integration and others following the race riots that torched parts of the city.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 26th 2013, 18:27:54

I'm confused by the following:

Cerb: No way Philly is 83% white.

Unsympathetic: Cerb you are too old to care if your facts are accurate. The Census tells us Philly is 39% white.

Uhmz what?

Mar 26th 2013, 18:44:52

y'all need to check my facts more accurately. 83.8% for Pennsylvania, 45.9% for Philadelphia county. i must've picked up the wrong number when i was looking at the Census page.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 27th 2013, 3:11:55

Originally posted by Unsympathetic:
Cerberus, it's clear you're old enough to have stopped caring whether or not your thoughts are accurate.

Every 10 years, a census is taken of the entire country. This census determines a population count, racial makeup of that population, and other interesting data points.. all of them conveniently ignored by Republicans.

Like it or not, the 2010 census is the closest thing we've got to established fact.

There's also something magical called Wikipedia.

As of 2010, Philly had 1,517,550 people:
44.2% Black
39.0% White
5.4% Asian - and the rest are "other."

I'm living in Philly today, and I can assure you that there's plenty of white people all around me.

Hey, Moron, I worked for the census as an enumerator. Don't assume that because you are ill-informed that everyone else is too.

aponic Game profile

Mar 29th 2013, 11:39:28

Cerberus: Philadelphia city encompasses the entire county of Philadelphia. There is your answer on the statistics seeming skewed.

Trumper: I agree
SOF
Cerevisi

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 1st 2013, 8:41:57

Then how does one explain NYC?
Although I guess the same thing happened and then gentrification hit as the next logical step (massive oversimplification I know).

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )