http://science.slashdot.org/...ctancy-in-developed-world

Discuss!
Finally did the signature thing.

trumper Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:12:51

Bhutan leads in happiness. Discuss.

ninomachi Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:12:59

slashdot is not a good news source. They are viewing it at a slant.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:14:13

who is going to pay their bills if they live longer?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 11th 2013, 18:15:23

Slashdot may not be a good news source, but at least they always link their articles so you can evaluate them yourself ;)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 11th 2013, 18:16:24

Is this link more suitable to you? heh

http://finance.yahoo.com/...expectancy-021000978.html

'cause it was in the ./ article

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:22:59

No worries, US ranks first in other things. Like cocaine use, anxiety disorders and oil consumption.
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

ninomachi Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:23:57

yahoo is just that...........ya, who?

HAHA

Trife Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 18:41:17

Originally posted by Magellaan:
No worries, US ranks first in other things. Like cocaine use, anxiety disorders and oil consumption.

not to mention being the best and most powerful country on the planet!

U S A! U S A!

suck it europe!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 11th 2013, 18:59:25

Highest imprisonment rate in the developed world as well. Also the highest execution rate.

Suprisingly, not the highest rate of gun ownership though.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 19:02:48

A quick google search puts the US rate of gun ownership as the highest in the world, by far. I'd like to believe you, but which country has the highest rate according to you then?
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Jan 11th 2013, 19:44:25

the quick search that i did, makes me wonder if anybody actually knows. too much variance in the numbers reported.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 11th 2013, 20:13:00

if you looked at wiki then yes. Because that's number of guns/person, not number of people owning a gun as a percent of total:P
If I owned 35 million guns (which is legally possible, just not financially or practically) and no one else in canada owned a gun, Canada would have 100 guns/100 residents.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 11th 2013, 20:13:59

I read a claim somewhere that in terms of *gun owners* as a %, Switzerland is probably higher than the US.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

archaic Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 20:14:07

only the good die young

We'll keep our Marlboro's, jelly donuts, SUVs, canned beer, and pistols thank you.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

SirSepher Game profile

Jan 11th 2013, 20:52:43

Originally posted by Trife:
Originally posted by Magellaan:

U S A! U S A!

suck it europe!

Sorry to play the role of Geography Nazi... but you just compared a country to a continent... =P

CANADA FTW!
-Sir Sepher
Old Fogey learning to play again
PDM FTW
For the glory of Camelot

Jan 11th 2013, 21:40:38

Canada doesn't have enough women. plus it might be too cold for them to run around 1/2 naked.

Wharfed

Jan 11th 2013, 22:19:50

I read this earlier today, and I am not surprised.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 11th 2013, 23:14:05

We are fat and lazy what do you expect from us Qz?

Atryn Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 3:51:38

Originally posted by SirSepher:
Originally posted by Trife:

U S A! U S A!

suck it europe!

Sorry to play the role of Geography Nazi... but you just compared a country to a continent... =P

CANADA FTW!

No, he compared a country to a continent *aspiring* to be a country...

(runs and hides)

Murf Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 13:27:18

All that fast food I ain't surprised

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 13:29:45

lol what is the point of this anti us BS

MEHUL WAS FROM TEXAS DAI DAI DAI DAIIII FOREIGNERS !!!!

Darakna Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 13:32:33

love it, rather than face the facts americans just discredit the source..

#denial

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 13:39:04

we win everything!

Makolyte Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 15:07:35

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ntries_by_life_expectancy

#1 country has 82 years, while we have 78 years. A 4 year difference is nothing. Looks like someone just wanted an excuse to fluff about the US. Nothing new, carry on.
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 14th 2013, 18:07:51

"A 4 year difference is nothing."

o.O

Nekked Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 21:08:53

Blames Global warming!

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 1:58:27

THIS DATA IS SKEWED BECAUSE IT INCLUDES PEOPLE WHO DON'T MAKE IT PAST CHILDHOOD.

HERE IN THE USA, WE EAT BABIES. OBVIOUSLY, THIS WILL DRASTICALLY REDUCE THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN. IF YOU ONLY INCLUDED INDIVIDUALS WHO SURVIVED TO ADULTHOOD IN THE STATISTICS, WE'D BE WINNING THIS JUST LIKE WE DO EVERYTHING ELSE.

AND AS DIBS POINTED OUT, THIS IS ANOTHER ARGUMENT AGAINST GUN CONTROL.

HA!

SAM
HEAD STATISTICIAN,
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Dissidenticn

Jan 15th 2013, 2:05:00

I don't understand why people put hunting rifles, handguns, and automatic assault rifles in the same category: "guns." In Switzerland I can pretty much guarantee you that almost all of those guns are hunting rifles and not automatic.

Anyways... why is a low life expectancy rate a bad thing? I've never understood why, as a rational and godless nation, would we want our elderly to live til they are 125. It really hurts the economy you know... in terms of food, medicare, and any other kind of social service. America has a lower life expectancy rate... count your blessings dudes.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 2:18:06

DISSIDENT, THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE GUNS IN PRIVATE HANDS IN THE US ARE NOT AUTOMATICS EITHER. YOUR ORDINARY PRIVATE CITIZEN IN THE US CANNOT LEGALLY OWN AN AUTOMATIC WEAPON. THE DEBATE HERE NOW IS ABOUT ***SEMI-AUTOMATIC*** SO-CALLED ASSAULT RIFLES. THESE ARE NO MORE OR LESS DANGEROUS THAN A SEMI-AUTOMATIC HUNTING RIFLE. THEY JUST LOOK SCARIER.

Darakna Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 6:04:23

Originally posted by Makolyte:

#1 country has 82 years, while we have 78 years. A 4 year difference is nothing. Looks like someone just wanted an excuse to fluff about the US. Nothing new, carry on.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHA

That is the response i give people who quote wikipedia. Huh lawlz

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 8:11:46

Originally posted by Dissidenticn:
I don't understand why people put hunting rifles, handguns, and automatic assault rifles in the same category: "guns." In Switzerland I can pretty much guarantee you that almost all of those guns are hunting rifles and not automatic.

Anyways... why is a low life expectancy rate a bad thing? I've never understood why, as a rational and godless nation, would we want our elderly to live til they are 125. It really hurts the economy you know... in terms of food, medicare, and any other kind of social service. America has a lower life expectancy rate... count your blessings dudes.

Wow I guess its true, 1 in 1 million actually understands economics. Props, most people wouldn't even see that.

Syko_Killa Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 8:50:17

The bad habits of Americans= good for business. ie fast food, smoking and working long hours.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 9:13:39

People who live longer on average also have more years in which they are healthy and are able to work. Thus retirement age can be increased.
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 9:21:43

I understand the hatred but cmon! Just because you live In a third world doesn't mean you have to act like it. We all know why we hate #1. ( yes Canada is included since I want to flame.)

Mag really? You would take a 65 year old over a 27 year old? Productivity...

Klown Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 9:24:05

Originally posted by Darakna:
Originally posted by Makolyte:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHA

That is the response i give people who quote wikipedia. Huh lawlz

Get over yourself. This isn't an academic paper it's a message board.

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 9:33:35

Originally posted by ColoOutlaw:
I understand the hatred but cmon! Just because you live In a third world doesn't mean you have to act like it. We all know why we hate #1. ( yes Canada is included since I want to flame.)

Mag really? You would take a 65 year old over a 27 year old? Productivity...

I didn't say that :P Just saying the extra costs aren't as large as you'd think.
Cheapest would be to just euthanise everyone at 65 of course.
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 9:38:14

Look at America's inflating cost of health care... I would say its about as expensive as I think it is.

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 9:39:42

Not MD, fake Magellaan.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 9:41:54

But seriously, why take an old fart when you can get dibs on a young crop? Experience? Pish posh.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 9:42:55

Love you Mags :) just drunk and MD boards are slow lol

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 9:46:20

I love you too
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 15th 2013, 9:46:31

Originally posted by Dissidenticn:

because economics doesn't count for everything? there's also quality of life to think about. chances are, if you're living for longer, it's because you're less sick -> higher quality of life.

and as magellaan said, there's also being able to work longer. though that's probably a byproduct of the better healthcare that leads to longer lives anyway. but unfortunately governments around the world have been slow to adjust working lifespans to increasing actual lifespans and this is creating some problems... but if you increase the retirement age, then a higher life expectancy is a good thing.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 9:54:32

Wow.... sounds like you understand econ 100% PP. Great point lol

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 15th 2013, 9:59:25

aren't you the idiot who tried to argue that inequality had no economic effects?

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 11:07:07

In a sense... yes I am that "idiot". Aren't you that dumbass that cited unfounded economic theories on wiki and tried to state you scored in the top 1% of the world in business and economic studies? Can I say... pathetic?

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 11:09:35

With all due respect....I have no respect for you. You are nothing more than a routine. I wake up and take a PP. That's as much as I care for you.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 15th 2013, 11:39:58

Originally posted by ColoOutlaw:
In a sense... yes I am that "idiot". Aren't you that dumbass that cited unfounded economic theories on wiki and tried to state you scored in the top 1% of the world in business and economic studies? Can I say... pathetic?
umm I dont think I've said anything about my scores in "business and economic studies," especially not as support for any argument. it's possible you're talking about the GMAT thread, which is not a test of "business and economic" skills and I didn't use it as support for any argument.

and I didn't "cite" Wikipedia, I used wikipedia to show you what I was talking about. I showed you an entire section in the latest Economist talking about the economic effects of rising inequality and tried to explain the theories behind this to you, but since your understanding of cause and effect in economics seems to be limited to basic first-order consequences of policies, you didn't understand it.

same seems to be happening here. your understanding of aging seems to be "well old people eat more food and we have to pay for their medical bills" as opposed to more subtle but much larger scale things such as the impact of health on productivity and the fact that increased longevity can increase the working life.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 11:52:01

Why increase a persons life cycle when they peak in their 40's?? Let me guess... your understanding of labor economics is as small as....*imagination*

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Jan 15th 2013, 11:56:37
See Original Post

ColoOutlaw

Jan 15th 2013, 12:07:25

Go ahead... I will wait till you can Google everything you can on labor/management economics. What you need to be clutch here is a couple key words or an author. Give me something from say.... Borjas. Then people might think you are legit.