Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 9th 2013, 23:21:04

A misleading line from the gun-control debate: “If you can just prevent one of these incidents from happening, isn’t it worth it?”

1. What is it worth? is a good question. How much freedom do you put on the table to try to prevent a very statistically rare but horribly tragic event? (And 'try' is the operative word).

2. Restrictions won't necessarily prevent gun violence. The Assault Weapons Ban (1994-2003) did very little of that as the following Penn State report reveals. http://www.sas.upenn.edu/...research/aw_final2004.pdf

3. Most of the proposed restrictions actually do not hinder a criminal who is intending to carry out a violent crime involving multiples kills. (A) The criminal may access a 'banned' gun anyway-he doesn't care about restrictions. (B) The criminal may access a gun with restricted magazine capacity and just use more magazines to expend the same amount of ammunition (as the Virginia Tech killer did).

NightShade

Jan 10th 2013, 0:24:50

Gun control is a joke. Because we have a select few who go around committing heinous acts of violence, we're supposed to make laws making it more difficult for an honest American to own a firearm?

I would prefer that anyone who intends to buy a firearm for uses other than hunting, be required to submit to a psychiatric evaluation *and* a criminal background check to determine whether or not said person owning a firearm would pose a threat or not.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 0:32:41

Idk, I live somewhere where guns have been banned since like forever. So there are not many firearms around, most criminals don't even have one.

But in a society that's already flooded with firearms a ban wouldn't have much effect anyway?
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Newworld Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 0:45:10

'MERICA!
pew pew pew

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 1:23:09

What Megellaan said. Guns have been outlawed since pretty much 50 years ago so the criminals don't even have access to steal one. Extremely hard to smuggle one in too, since we're on an island (Singapore).

Gun control laws aren't effective immediately. You have to let a lot of years pass (maybe even half a generation) before you see the results of such a law. Australia is a good example of this (I think they passed a gun control law in 1994 or something).

Monex Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 1:38:21

One could argue that semi-automatic rifles with high capacity magazines are like motorcycle helmets 99.9% of the time they are not “needed”, after all you do not “need” a helmet when you are riding a motorcycle. You only “need” a helmet when you are crashing a motorcycle. So if you only plan on riding and do not intend to crash a helmet is not “needed”. You should “want” to where a motorcycle helmet because there is that .1% chance it might save your life someday if the unexpected happens and you crash, The same way you don’t “need” a semi-automatic rifle with a high capacity magazine 99.9% of the time when you are living peacefully in the sanctity of your home. You should “want” a semi-automatic rifle with high capacity magazine because there is that .1% chance that multiple armed intruders beak into your home to kill you and do God knows what to your wife and children. You should “WANT” to be well armed because some day the unexpected can happen and you may “NEED” to defend yourself and your family.
[url=https://www.torn.com/1994581]Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG[/url]

Monex Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 1:46:20

Same could be said for property insurance, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, locks, 911, seatbelts ect…. These are all things that you do not “need” They are things you “want” and would not argue to ban
[url=https://www.torn.com/1994581]Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG[/url]

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 2:20:00

Do we have a constitutional right to own guns?

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 2:22:08

Understandable argument. Im sort of neutral on the subject but to give another perspective:

I live in a place where there are many cyclists (i.e. holland) and tourists are often surprised to see that none of them wear helmets.
Now there are some excellent reasons to keep it this way. Research shows that drivers will keep less distance to a cyclist if the cyclist is wearing a helmet which increases the chance of an accident. If the cyclist doesn't wear a helmet the driver will be more cautious.
Likewise the streets in my neighborhood have many crossings that are hard to get a good clear view of when you approach them. Meanwhile there are often kids playing on the streets. The result is not dangerous though, as drivers are just very cautious. Even the most badass gangsters won't drive faster than 10-15mph in my neighborhood.

Because of the gun laws burglars are higly unlikely to carry a firearm themselves. So the chance of multiple armed intruders breaking in is much lower.

How this all works out exactly and which way is better.. I don't really know lol
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Fuji Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 2:31:34

Comparing guns with things like helmets and seatbelts?

One is designed to save lives. The other is specifically fine tuned and designed over hundreds of years to end them as efficiently as possible.

Monex Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 2:42:08

Or save them depending on which end you are on.

Fuji Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 2:50:23

No. A seatbelt and helmet don't save lives by taking another persons. Sure it doesn't hurt to use them 99% of the time because they're harmless. The other is designed to be harmful.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 2:58:39

You could kill someone with a helmet and a seatbelt... Dont you even watch movies!

Rockman Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 3:15:06

I would like to stop being forced to pay for people with guns to give protections to rich politicians, protection that common people like me don't get. If the guns don't actually make the politicians safer, my hatred for politicians still isn't enough for me to like putting them in danger by letting them have armed guards.

archaic Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 4:28:22

Jeez Req, seriously is all you have to do in your life trolling these boards with sketchy political trivia? It was cool for a while, but get a life or a job or something. You've started 7 threads on the front page of AT - are you trying to get klown to ask you out?
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 8:41:41

guns are designed to save my life and eliminate the evil bastages who feel they can beat me up and steal my lunch money.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 9:03:38

Originally posted by Monex:
One could argue that semi-automatic rifles with high capacity magazines are like motorcycle helmets 99.9% of the time they are not “needed”, after all you do not “need” a helmet when you are riding a motorcycle. You only “need” a helmet when you are crashing a motorcycle. So if you only plan on riding and do not intend to crash a helmet is not “needed”. You should “want” to where a motorcycle helmet because there is that .1% chance it might save your life someday if the unexpected happens and you crash, The same way you don’t “need” a semi-automatic rifle with a high capacity magazine 99.9% of the time when you are living peacefully in the sanctity of your home. You should “want” a semi-automatic rifle with high capacity magazine because there is that .1% chance that multiple armed intruders beak into your home to kill you and do God knows what to your wife and children. You should “WANT” to be well armed because some day the unexpected can happen and you may “NEED” to defend yourself and your family.
this "hero mentality" that Americans (and other people as well, admittedly) have is just retarded

yeah man you're gonna go all rambo and totally pwn the guy!!!!

secondly, most intruders aren't really out to kill people, they're out to steal your stuff and would probably be a lot happier if you just stayed hidden instead of getting into a scuffle with them. they're looking for material things, which are also replaceable.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 9:04:08

Originally posted by archaic:
Jeez Req, seriously is all you have to do in your life trolling these boards with sketchy political trivia? It was cool for a while, but get a life or a job or something. You've started 7 threads on the front page of AT - are you trying to get klown to ask you out?
lol I actually agree with archaic

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Jan 10th 2013, 9:17:40

most intruders need to find a better way to make money.

ColoOutlaw

Jan 10th 2013, 9:35:05

I like my whiskey strong, my girls rough and my guns loaded!
+bonus
++ good post req

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Jan 10th 2013, 9:40:59
See Original Post

mrford Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 9:56:52

gun control

use both hands
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Monex Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 11:30:25

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
this "hero mentality" that Americans (and other people as well, admittedly) have is just retarded

secondly, most intruders aren't really out to kill people, they're out to steal your stuff and would probably be a lot happier if you just stayed hidden instead of getting into a scuffle with them. they're looking for material things, which are also replaceable.

Thank you for supporting my point Most is a non-definitive term meaning almost all.

Play by play of your statement
Most intruders aren't really out to kill people,
Translation: Not all intruders are out to kill people

Burglars out to steal your stuff and would probably be a lot happier if you just stayed hidden instead of getting into a scuffle with them.
Translation: Rapist/murders plan you harm you and your family.

They’re looking for material things, which are also replaceable.
Translation: Your life and your family are not replaceable, you will have to capture or kill the intruder.

In conclusion if you dial 911 the phones won’t be down, there won’t be a high volume of calls, the streets will be clear of blockages, the cops won’t be busy on other calls, and their response time will be fast enough to save you most of the time. Just pray to your God that it’s not during a hurricane, earthquake, large scale terrorist attack ECT… (.01% chance) when you can’t get through to 911 of the responders can’t get to you. When an intruder has plans to kill you, rape your wife and sell your children into sex slavery, do you really trust a phone number for self-defense.

whooze Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 11:47:25

* eyes through the thread*

Same american bullfluff as I've seen at tons of places...

Yeah, your gun-policy is the best in the world...

~walks off the thread~

Alin Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 12:31:25

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 13:08:32

Thank you for supporting my point Most is a non-definitive term meaning almost all.

Play by play of your statement
Most intruders aren't really out to kill people,
Translation: Not all intruders are out to kill people

Burglars out to steal your stuff and would probably be a lot happier if you just stayed hidden instead of getting into a scuffle with them.
Translation: Rapist/murders plan you harm you and your family.

They’re looking for material things, which are also replaceable.
Translation: Your life and your family are not replaceable, you will have to capture or kill the intruder.

In conclusion if you dial 911 the phones won’t be down, there won’t be a high volume of calls, the streets will be clear of blockages, the cops won’t be busy on other calls, and their response time will be fast enough to save you most of the time. Just pray to your God that it’s not during a hurricane, earthquake, large scale terrorist attack ECT… (.01% chance) when you can’t get through to 911 of the responders can’t get to you. When an intruder has plans to kill you, rape your wife and sell your children into sex slavery, do you really trust a phone number for self-defense.
yeah man the perfect argument for going all Jack Bauer on their asses!!!!!!!!

your "prevent crazy tragedies with insanely low probabilities" argument might be a good one if the prevention method wasn't being misused on a much larger scale. it's kind of like saying "let's let people buy morphine freely because there's a 0.01% chance that they'll have a horrible skiing accident and need immediate pain relief"

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 13:14:47

I'm also going to estimate that you're far more likely to accidentally shoot your neighbour or a plumber than a wife-raping, children-to-sex-slavery-selling burglar.

Jan 10th 2013, 13:44:01

I'm also going to estimate that you're far more likely to accidentally shoot your neighbour or a plumber than a wife-raping, children-to-sex-slavery-selling burglar.

probably about the same chance as my neighbor or plumber actually being a wife-raping, children-to-sex-slavery-selling burglar. I'll wait for them to come out of my closet before i open fire.

most people seem to have the Jesus Christ attitude. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior! He will come and save me from the evil people! Jesus Christ! why won't you idiots look in the dang mirror.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Jan 10th 2013, 13:52:02
See Original Post

Nekked Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 15:21:23

The 2nd amendment today! Is the 1st amendement next? Remember the internet can be turned off. Free speech, but only if the powers to be agree with that speech.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 15:33:02

That's what politics is about, Nekked.

Does free speech mean you have the right to be racist and discriminatory in your day to day dialogues? Or is free speech really only free speech if it is also morally correct?

Who is to say the Amendments are all not outdated and should be completely rewritten to take into account guns and the Internet and today's morals? Slavery was legal hundreds of years ago. Times change, guns can also change to be legal today, but not legal in 200 years.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2013, 15:58:08

Does free speech mean you have the right to buy the media, control the airwaves, advertise for a political candidate, and buy elections? Woohoo, free speech
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Jan 10th 2013, 16:14:51

Originally posted by blid:
Does free speech mean you have the right to buy the media, control the airwaves, advertise for a political candidate, and buy elections? Woohoo, free speech

hahah my thoughts exactly.