Verified:

iNouda Game profile

Nov 17th 2012, 4:42:48

Apple now owns the page turn. The e-reader industry is screwed.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/...nytimesbits&seid=auto

If you want to know just how broken the patent system is, just look at patent D670,713, filed by Apple and approved this week by the United States Patent Office.

This design patent, titled, “Display screen or portion thereof with animated graphical user interface,” gives Apple the exclusive rights to the page turn in an e-reader application.

Yes, that’s right. Apple now owns the page turn. You know, as when you turn a page with your hand. An “interface” that has been around for hundreds of years in physical form. I swear I’ve seen similar animation in Disney or Warner Brothers cartoons.

(This is where readers are probably checking the URL of this article to make sure it’s The New York Times and not The Onion.)

Apple argued that its patented page turn was unique in that it had a special type of animation other page-turn applications had been unable to create.

The patent comes with three illustrations to explain how the page-turn algorithm works. In Figure 1, the corner of a page can be seen folding over. In Figure 2, the page is turned a little more. I’ll let you guess what Figure 3 shows.

Of course this isn’t the most seemingly obvious patent Apple has been awarded in recent years. The company has also been granted patents for an icon for music (which is a just a musical note), the glass staircase used in the company’s stores – yes, stairs, that people walk up — and for the packaging of its iPhone.

The patent to own the page turn was just one of 38 patents granted to Apple this week. Among the others there was a “Skin tone aware color boost for cameras,” “Location-based categorical information services” and a “Consistent backup of electronic information.”

The page-turn patent was filed in December 2011, but was approved this week. It claims three inventors: Elizabeth Caroline Cranfill, Stephen Lemay and Mikio Inose.

Apple in the past has filed multiple suits against smartphone makers in the United States for infringement of other Apple patents.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 17th 2012, 11:48:51

apple patents everything and dumb patent office grants everything, even square with rounded corners.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

CKHustler

Nov 17th 2012, 17:27:07

Meh, it sounds like it's only the animation, so lots of e-readers don't use that animation so it shouldn't change too many things.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 17th 2012, 18:49:37

judge decides it when apple sues others.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 17th 2012, 23:18:55

Apple had been run by the lawyers for many years.

Why do you think you pay three times as much for an Apple device that does half what anyone elses device does.

Apple probably develops most viruses that attack PC's just so they can claim they are safer and better.

It's run by lawyers using situational ethics, what do you think?
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 5:34:38

Don't be an Apple hater.

They know how to run a successful business, just like Microsoft.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 11:30:07

apple's products are overpriced when compared tech specs, its a brand which costs.

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 13:29:32

Ya, but you could say the same thing about any product.

Why are some handbags worth 10000 dollars?

How about cars that are a few million dollars?

It really isn't any different about Apple. Though I suppose at least car manufacturers aren't suing each other.

braden Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 14:28:12

Ford sues GM: "Our cars had four tires first!"

Marshal Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 15:32:17

million bucks cars go faster than 10k bucks cars and have made from different materials than 10k bucks cars and million bucks cars aren't made as much as 10k bucks cars.

on handbags brand costs.

Purposeful1 Game profile

Nov 18th 2012, 22:57:27

::facepalm::
Purposeful1

Unsympathetic Game profile

Nov 19th 2012, 1:06:19

I'm not sure what the problem here is. Any judge who grants an infringement based on this patent is basically insane.

I worked in the patent marketing company of my undergrad. Anything can be patented for a nontrivial fee. That however does not mean that the patent is actionable in a lawsuit.

The problem comes in demonstrating that (a) the method was not available before the patent was granted [because then it's considered public domain] and (b) the "offending" company actually uses the method in question and NOT different code which comes close but is not the same.

Technology patents do not cover "this and anything close to it" -- rather, the patent covers that method and code only. IMHO, apple wasted their money on this.

NightShade

Nov 19th 2012, 8:50:37

I hate Apple so much, I am using Windows 7 Professional on a MacBook Pro :P
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

Marshal Game profile

Nov 19th 2012, 11:32:45

apple has patented many finger movements and sued others if they have used same thing on their phones.

Oceana Game profile

Nov 19th 2012, 13:26:04

But I enjoy hating Apple

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 19th 2012, 15:43:42

it's one thing that apple's products are pieces of overpriced crap. It's not really my worry if people want to pay that much for a product.
However my concern is that all that overpriced crap becomes my only choice due to monopoly power/legal manoevers.
Back in the day, windows was pretty crappy too (windows 95 for example).

Apple used to have a good product back in the day but not anymore really. Although I think their current success is due to them taking a page out of microsoft's old play book.
I still don't see the point of itunes, although tbh I think it's more praying on the software illiterate..

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

archaic Game profile

Nov 19th 2012, 15:56:47

Originally posted by NightShade:
I hate Apple so much, I am using Windows 7 Professional on a MacBook Pro :P

lol
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

davidoss Game profile