Verified:

Trife Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 15:18:57

'Raising tax rates for those with the highest incomes challenges the supply-side proposition that even moderately higher rates would hurt growth. President Bill Clinton’s 1993 deficit reduction plan increased income tax rates for roughly the top 1.2 percent of incomes. Opponents said this would lead to recession. Instead, we had enormous job creation and the longest economic expansion in our history.'

http://www.nytimes.com/...ml?smid=re-share&_r=0

Trife Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 15:40:46

btw, I'd like to dedicate this thread to galleri!

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 15:41:57

poor people paid to go on a shopping spree is not economic expansion.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

TY Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 16:47:32

lmao They said done by a nonpartisan group like one actually exsists.
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.
Josh Billings

trumper Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 18:03:45

Originally posted by Trife:
'Raising tax rates for those with the highest incomes challenges the supply-side proposition that even moderately higher rates would hurt growth. President Bill Clinton’s 1993 deficit reduction plan increased income tax rates for roughly the top 1.2 percent of incomes. Opponents said this would lead to recession. Instead, we had enormous job creation and the longest economic expansion in our history.'

http://www.nytimes.com/...ml?smid=re-share&_r=0

Yep, those tax hikes clearly led to the job growth--it wasn't the emerging tech sector, 300 trade agreements (including NAFTA0 they signed or the low interest rates that caused the job growth ;).

Of course Rubin's full editorial is more amusing given he thinks you can solve the problem by matching revenue hikes on the rich and entitlement reforms. Maybe if you get them all to stay in the US, define rich as Obama does as $250,000 or more, include those S-corps and tax them at French rates or higher, then maybe it's possible. Otherwise it's a pipe dream.

I think Republicans will cave on the top marginal rates IF they can get a concession on premium support model or combo of capped Medicare growth/+ age increase. Boehner hinted at it already. Of course then Boehner has to deal with the right saying zero tax changes and all spending/entitlement reform and Reid/Obama with the left saying zero entitlement changes and all tax hikes (look at Sen. Feinstein today saying do not change the age...as if the program created during the Vietnam War shouldn't be indexed to some form of growth).

I think the most likely outcome is age on SS is phased in with a one to two year age increase (it should be indexed from there forward to average death age, but they won't do that). Medicare will be shifted from 65 to 67 over a 10 (maybe 20) year time frame. Top marginal tax rates will go up for those earning one million or more (maybe $500,000, definitely not $250,000). Medicare and Social Security benefits will be means-tested. Domestic spending will be capped to some index tied to inflation. It's the only way I see everyone feeling like they got something of what they were looking for and everyone with some egg on their face permitting them to go back to voters to say, we got some and we lost some.

The reason it won't be $250,000 is because of the number of S-corp filings. Unless they fundamentally reform the systme, it'll hit tons of small business owners, whose real profits are far slimmer. Not to mention the "progressive" income tax isn't that progressive when you index income to geographical cost indexes. Hence, a minimum of $500,000, but likely more.

They will have to raise the age on Medicare benefits. It's the easiest way to get accumulated savings. BUT to avoid the wrath of voters they will phase it in.

Means-testing of Medicare and SSI is a no-brainer given it satisfies the left's desire on dealing with wealthy folks and because the right already conceded it in their various plans.

The big two question marks are capping Medicare growth and tax hikes. That's where the deal is cut.

Ultimately, I suspect it will be a $3-4 trillion package.

That's my take on where things are going. Now, just wait a few months while they pass yet another stopgap measure and everyone can say look how wrong you were.

Trife Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 18:12:23

Now trumper, you take your logic, facts, numbers and reasoning and leave my quote snippet alone! :P

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 13th 2012, 20:09:18

why?

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Trife Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 20:25:15

Originally posted by galleri:

why?

bc u lov politikal threds

urs welcomes!~!!

blid

EE Patron

Nov 13th 2012, 20:26:17

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
poor people paid to go on a shopping spree is not economic expansion.
yes it is
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 13th 2012, 20:34:17

Originally posted by galleri:

why?

bc u lov politikal threds

urs welcomes!~!!

Me and the hormones have hit a...."we don't give a fluff" stance lately. You have failed.
You are welcome :P

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 13th 2012, 20:49:01

like most amateur economic analysis, this is garbage because it doesn't actually consider the counter-factuals.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 13th 2012, 22:54:50

Funny part is tha most rich people already earned that money and paid taxes on it, so if they decide to retire early, then who you tax next?
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Nov 13th 2012, 22:59:19

mexicans.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 13th 2012, 23:07:17

The people the left claims to represent and yet Obama with 2 years of all 3 branches of power fails to even present any kind of immigration reform (as he promised in 08 campaign) and again fluffing the latino voter is the ass, so lib to do that, funny part is that the stupid ignorant latinos bend over and take it, pendejos!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Nov 13th 2012, 23:11:17

oh. the libs are on the left? no wonder they can't see the right view.

Cougar Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 23:20:40

Suddenly Bill Kristol is all like "Raising the top tax rate won't cripple the economy" and "the best growth rates of the last 30 years were 83-86, under Reagan, with the top rate at 50%".

Welcome to reality, Bill. The rest of us have been living here a while.

Cougar Game profile

Nov 13th 2012, 23:22:08

And trumper, you are just bat fluff insane if you think that a fair tradeoff for allowing the top tax rate to sunset is turning medicare into a voucher program.

UBer Bu Game profile

Nov 14th 2012, 0:52:55

You do realize the senate supermajority lasted all of seven weeks, right? But hey, never let the facts get in the way of what you saw on Fox :)
-take off every sig.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 14th 2012, 3:59:14

7 weeks, and nothing was done, thank you!

-Latino voter (that doesnt eat the fluff the left gives us)
(•_•)

EVO|Rasp

Nov 14th 2012, 15:31:38