Verified:

Brink Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 5:34:58

Serious question. They only play to wreck the game for players who care enough to try.

Trolls are banned from message boards. Other games ban those that only exist to wreck other players enjoyment. Loud mouth drunks are banned from the ball park. Drunk drivers lose their license. Sex offenders are banned from schools and parks. Terrorists can't ride on planes.

The entirety of society restrict those who only exist to harm others.

Why in the world don't the leaders of this game put an end to those who only exist to destroy the enjoyment of the game itself?

locket Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 5:57:57

You can glance at my post on the suggestions board but apparently QZ thinks that figuring out who is a griefer isnt possible despite it being completely possible. It isnt hard to see who has targeted certain groups set after set or who has simply suicided every set they ever played(Edge?). The funny thing is he protects these players while they lose people actually playing the whole game do to their crap.

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Nov 2nd 2012, 5:59:21

Simple.

Does a suicider break game server rules?

No.

End discussion.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Darakna Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 6:11:43

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
Simple.

No.

End discussion.

Summed it up perfectly.

iNouda Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 6:21:26

^ bonus

Pain Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 6:22:59

Simple.

No.

End discussion.

some of them do
Your mother is a nice woman

Brink Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 7:16:06

Simple.

No.

End discussion.

Assuming we accept your premise as fact for the sake of this discussion:

Why did the leaders of this game make recent changes to game mechanics that they believed were designed to slow down or nurf actions that were not against the rules?

Vic Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 7:20:42

brink, great post. i was wondering the same and created a similar thread a few months back - but all it did was feed the idiot trolls :(

Vic Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 7:22:26

my main contention was - if we let suiciders run free, why not just let the bots back?

dagga Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 7:31:34

Ridiculous idea.

It fed the trolls because you are probably one of the retards asking for this change while running a POS Rep with no defense and enough jets to farm some small tag into oblivion.

I've got an equally stupid idea - ban the players in large alliances farming small alliances because they're wrecking the game for them!!
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Nov 2nd 2012, 7:35:17

Originally posted by Pain:
Simple.

No.

End discussion.

some of them do
err... some non-suiciders break the rules as well. should we ban non-suiciders?

edit: I am in favour of bans on repeat rule breakers though. instead of letting someone try to cheat repeatedly in different ways, just ban them from the game.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Vic Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 8:23:27

dagga - i don't run reps in 1a. what is this? 1999?

iScode Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 8:27:45

Originally posted by Brink:
Serious question. They only play to wreck the game for players who care enough to try.

Trolls are banned from message boards. Other games ban those that only exist to wreck other players enjoyment. Loud mouth drunks are banned from the ball park. Drunk drivers lose their license. Sex offenders are banned from schools and parks. Terrorists can't ride on planes.

Why in the world don't the leaders of this game put an end to those who only exist to destroy the enjoyment of the game itself?

Because without suiciders then netters would run 0 defence countries and expect to get away with it. banning suiciders is a retarded idea.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Vic Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 8:39:09

erm...

netters would run 0 defense countries? try again

locket Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 8:39:17

Originally posted by iScode:
Originally posted by Brink:

Because without suiciders then netters would run 0 defence countries and expect to get away with it. banning suiciders is a retarded idea.

Perhaps he referred to people who only play to suicide? That is a different story imo.

iScode Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 9:23:31

Vic they pretty much do as it is.

i disagree locket.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

locket Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 9:27:00

i disagree locket.

So if 20 players from some clan retired and decided that they would stay around and suicide Evo and MD every set for the next year you would have no problem with that? The alliance which they came from can not be blamed for it correct? What does Evo do to avoid this? Try politics? Nope. Kill the previous alliance of the players? Nope. Only would spur them on most likely. Kill the players? It doesn't matter to them. Even killing them hurts Evo and MD's netting goals.

Jaaamm Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 10:27:21

synoder Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 10:53:20

suiciders suicide in most cases because they feel wronged by that tag. Whether that was imagined or real it doesn't really matter because if you start banning suiciders then you take away all consequences for big tags bullying small tags and untags. If LAF were to farm me into the ground and then I suicided the next couple sets on them should I be banned for it? Of course not, so the question becomes how to you differentiate between suiciders with reasons and suiciders who do it just to ruin other people's fun? I don't think you can because you never know what happened to cause the suiciding. It could have been political and not in game, or something done on irc or in clan. There is just no way to keep track of all that stuff.

Eeyore

Nov 2nd 2012, 10:56:10

And? Warring tags tend to hurt netting goals too. Should war tags be banned too?

It's one of the risks of the server, and the current approach, of measured changes making it harder to suicide effectively, rather than arbitrary bannings for subjective possible future actions, is fairer to all.

Helmet Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 10:56:13

If I ran the game I would ban serial suiciders. It's common sense.

anoniem Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 11:03:39

Originally posted by locket:

i disagree locket.

So if 20 players from some clan retired and decided that they would stay around and suicide Evo and MD every set for the next year you would have no problem with that? The alliance which they came from can not be blamed for it correct? What does Evo do to avoid this? Try politics? Nope. Kill the previous alliance of the players? Nope. Only would spur them on most likely. Kill the players? It doesn't matter to them. Even killing them hurts Evo and MD's netting goals.

war clans hurt alliances more than suiciders. gonna ban them too?
re(ally)tired

Zoomer Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 11:28:11

players have fun to net, to war and it seems that some have fun to suicide... so why your fun is better than another one? No rules broken = no ban. And i would like remember that EE is a war game... so get defenses and stop crying when someone topfeed or farm you. The goal of this game is to get the highest networth with tools you have in hands (army, tech, acres etc)

The game is now so boring, stupid and brainless... you can't topfeed, you can't bottomfeed, you can't even grab someone in your size cuz anyways they will retal L:L, only way to grow up is to explore all set long... and now alliances don't sign defense pacts or NAP... they sigh "grab agreement"... if you wanna grab, you should have alliances permissions.... lol thats totally ridiculous. The game is not going in the good way. I had more fun to play that game in 99 than now, even if we had bots problems.

EVO|Rasp

Nov 2nd 2012, 12:23:09

imo, I think if bots were brought back, there would be *less* suiciders.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 14:10:05

THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE: VIGILANTE JUSTICE! JUST DO RANDOM KILL RUNS ON UNTAGGED COUNTRIES IMHO.

HA!

BILL

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 2nd 2012, 14:44:57

By the same logic we should ban netters from mass farming low nw countries to get land too. Limit grabs to one per day per country and each country can only be successfully grabbed once per day.
(I would think that would suck though)

tbh I think most of the problems come about through alliance imposed rules/agreements rather than the game mechanics themselves.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 15:09:58

But martian, don't you think the "alliance imposed rules/agreements" came about precisely because of the game mechanics?

For example, L:L was invented because of topfeeding mechanics.

Clan:Country retals were invented because of the introduction of clan tags.

Reps for future production lost was invented because of the game mechanic called "stocking" and the concept of future stock, etc (stocking was invented because of the 2b cash limit mechanic, now called corruption).

Zoomer Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 17:17:22

Originally posted by Xinhuan:
But martian, don't you think the "alliance imposed rules/agreements" came about precisely because of the game mechanics?

Reps for future production lost was invented because of the game mechanic called "stocking" and the concept of future stock, etc (stocking was invented because of the 2b cash limit mechanic, now called corruption).

Are you serious? and what are you suggest? At some point a game is a game with his rules and "mechanics". I think larges alliances have just forget the goal of this game and created a politic environment which is "who is next to impose his new rule" escalating.

it's not that hard... if you are fat, you should have defense to protect your land. If you have a big stockpill, you should have defense to protect it again. Everybody know that the best way to gain max NW is to build with as less defense as possible. Alliances exist for that... to protect you, retal for you if you can't retal, sign pacts and war if your alliance is abused.

I agree that every hit should be retalled (1:1) and you can play with the delay between hit and retal, but L:L and all those similar "politics", are against of the goal of this game.

echlori Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 17:30:24

Ban suiciders!

Also, ban two-steppers as well!

Rockman Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 17:32:11

Originally posted by Zoomer:

Are you serious? and what are you suggest? At some point a game is a game with his rules and "mechanics". I think larges alliances have just forget the goal of this game and created a politic environment which is "who is next to impose his new rule" escalating.

it's not that hard... if you are fat, you should have defense to protect your land. If you have a big stockpill, you should have defense to protect it again. Everybody know that the best way to gain max NW is to build with as less defense as possible. Alliances exist for that... to protect you, retal for you if you can't retal, sign pacts and war if your alliance is abused.

I agree that every hit should be retalled (1:1) and you can play with the delay between hit and retal, but L:L and all those similar "politics", are against of the goal of this game.

If you're going to grab alliances, make sure you have enough defense to protect you. If you can't keep them from doing L:L on you, then you didn't have enough turrets. Stop hiding behind a retal policy, and start hiding behind turrets. Either that, or stop grabbing people that can retal you.

echlori Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 17:36:00

Originally posted by Rockman:
If you're going to grab alliances, make sure you have enough defense to protect you. If you can't keep them from doing L:L on you, then you didn't have enough turrets. Stop hiding behind a retal policy, and start hiding behind turrets.

I agree. This is good advice especially for countries that are stocking lots of cash on hand.

Either that, or stop grabbing people that can retal you.

Good idea, we should all grab small helpless untaggeds only.

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 18:01:26

Originally posted by Zoomer:

So why does L:L still stand as of today? Almost all alliances use L:L.

You failed to understand that the policies of clans today are a direct consequence of game mechanics, and politics, and meta-politics and then meta-meta-politics to turn the game mechanics into their advantage.

The admins changed the game so that restarts now start with more land and CS - so because of this game mechanic change, clans change from killing to maiming in wars and for dealing with mid/late set suiciders.

With the game mechanic change of ramping up specials, war chat leaders stopped using CMs against countries because they actually make GS or BR killing take more hits unless the CMs were used at the very end of the kill. (They are better used in pure-CM-only kills, unless everyone in the target clan has SDI, then it doesn't matter who you fling it at, just use it before they get defused.)

Everything in this game revolves around game mechanics, if L:L wasn't beneficial to both alliances (due to the ghost acre game mechanic), it might not even be widely accepted today.

And why would you claim L:L is against the goal of the game? The goal (at least, LaF's goal) is to be the best clan (hopefully triple crown), and L:L goes a long way towards that goal. You might not share this goal, but a lot of people do. And that is why there are different clans, different clans have different goals.

Edited By: Xinhuan on Nov 2nd 2012, 18:06:27
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 2nd 2012, 18:12:18

@xin: actually SoF didn't implement land:land just because of top feeding mechanics although I'll let helmet answer that since it was under his watch.
Also single grabs didn't used to be retalled until certain alliances decided that they ought to be.

The decision to destroy a small tag in a day has very little to do with game mechanics.

The decision to want reps has nothing to do with game mechanics, the decision on how to calculate reps does. If I ran a tag and you asked me for reps and I told you to fluff off, that has nothing to do with the game mechanics really.

the idea of pacts and coalitions has nothing to do with game mechanics really.

The strategies you use to implement your tag's policies are influenced by game mechanics, but to say that we should be changing game mechanics to completely control game behavior would make the game *very* unfun and/or result in a continuing conflict between game mechanics and people trying to find loopholes in the game mechanics or people lobying for game mechanic changes to suit their particular playing style.

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Mr.Silver

Nov 2nd 2012, 18:13:38

Players that play soley to suicide others basically cause others to quit.

Ie; take you PP as an example, between you and KJ suiciding RD/LaF/PDM every reset for the last year. You've managed to cause a total of about 9 players to quit the game.

So for the little bit of fun you've caused 9/500 to leave the game. almost 2% in less than a year.

congrats? :)

Rockman Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 18:16:56

Originally posted by echlori:
If you're going to grab alliances, make sure you have enough defense to protect you. If you can't keep them from doing L:L on you, then you didn't have enough turrets. Stop hiding behind a retal policy, and start hiding behind turrets.

I agree. This is good advice especially for countries that are stocking lots of cash on hand.

Or you can do what LaF's techers do when they grab, and get turrets.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 2nd 2012, 18:21:53

Originally posted by echlori:

Or you can do what LaF's techers do when they grab, and get turrets.

Yeah but that isn't any good either rockman, cause then people complain about being LGed by large countries and not being able to retal. It is evil and it hurts the game by frustrating players that get LGed by big countries.

</sarcasm>

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 2nd 2012, 19:22:46

Stupid idea is defined by this thread.

Don't want suiciders?, don't piss off people...
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Rockman Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 19:25:13

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Stupid idea is defined by this thread.

Don't want suiciders?, don't piss off people...

That prevents some suiciders. But not all of them.

BattleKJ Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 19:27:58

Should I be banned as SoF (and probably LaF) are trying to ensure that I cannot play in the only alliance I'd join and run a country for?

Its not my fault that they cry so much when they get suicided, they are doing it to themselves.

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Nov 2nd 2012, 20:48:18

blah blah blah, look, some alliances enjoy netting, some alliances enjoy war, some people enjoy messing up others sets. its a style of gameplay
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Kumander Otbol

Nov 2nd 2012, 20:51:35

^ says the suicider. :p
Originally posted by cypress:
no reason to start slacking just because they are getting FA

fluff them....we'll steamroll them even with the FA they are getting

iScode Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:08:40

i disagree locket.

nope wouldnt have a problem with it because if 20 members are that angry the alliance must of done something to piss them off. though they could get a but more class and infiltrate EVO or MD and suicide from the inside. (we are only using evo/md as in example, dont think im endorsing people hitting you guys :P)
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:08:48

Ummmm

if I remmeber correctly, Imag runs 0 defense countries too as a war allaince.

So the whole netter runs 0 D countries is moot.
Z is #1

iScode Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:21:25

the problem is they shouldnt, we post MMR's and anyone running 0 defence gets taught lessons, we have no sympathy for those imag members and they know it.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Mr.Silver

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:27:17

i disagree locket.

nope wouldnt have a problem with it because if 20 members are that angry the alliance must of done something to piss them off. though they could get a but more class and infiltrate EVO or MD and suicide from the inside. (we are only using evo/md as in example, dont think im endorsing people hitting you guys :P)

There's a difference between someone retaliating for something that was done and those that play for the sole purpose of making others quit.

PP, KJ, KJ's other account, and Edge do nothing but suicide fo ratleast the past year some longer. The only thing they even try to do is get others to quit.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:27:21

Monsters does the same with MMR's even though we are listed as netters
Z is #1

braden Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:32:34

i disregard every one of servants mmrs!!shiftone!

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 21:34:23

ELIMINIATING "SUICIDERS" NOT ONLY WOULD NOT HELP THE HEALTH OF THE GAME, IT WOULD BE A DETRIMENT. I BELIEVE THIS FOR SEVERAL REASONS.

THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO FINISH A ROUND WELL IS ALREADY KNOWN BY 80% OR MORE OF THE PLAYERS, AND HAS BEEN FOR MANY YEARS: KEEP AS MUCH LAND AND AS LITTLE MILITARY AS POSSIBLE UNTIL NEAR THE END OF THE RESET. THE ONLY VARIABLES WHICH THE PLAYER CANNOT CONTROL ARE THE MARKET, AND ANGRY COMPETITORS. REMOVE THE ABILITY OF THE ANGRY COMPETITORS TO EXPLODE THINGS, AND YOU'RE LEFT WITH ONLY THE MARKET AS THE VARIABLE TO MASTER.

I FEEL AN INCREASE IN "SUICIDING" WOULD ACTUALLY LEAD TO A MORE INTERESTING GAME. NO LONGER COULD ONE SIT ON TENS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS UNTIL TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE END OF THE RESET. PLAYERS WOULD HAVE TO ACTUALLY BALANCE THE LOWER EXPENSES OF LIGHT MILITARY AGAINST THE RISK THAT THEY MAY AT ANY MOMENT BE ATTACKED VICIOUSLY. INSTEAD OF THE BEST "STOCKER" BEING THE WINNER EVERY RESET, IT MAY ONCE AGAIN BECOME THE PLAYER WHO IS BEST AT BALANCING MILITARY AND EXPENSES... OR AT ACTUALLY GROWING HIS COUNTRY IN A MORE REALISTIC AND BALANCED FASHION.

ALREADY, THANKS TO THE INCREDIBLY LARGE NUMBER OF GHOST ACRES TAKEN IN AN ATTACK, MANY PLAYERS KEEP VERY LITTLE DEFENSE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT DEFENDING THEIR COUNTRY. SO WHAT IF YOU GET GRABBED? HIT BACK, AND THANKS TO GHOST ACRES, YOU AND THE ORIGINAL AGGRESSOR WILL BOTH COME OUT AHEAD. THIS IS A DYNAMIC WHICH I THINK NEEDS TO BE EXAMINED AND REDUCED OR ELIMINATED ALTOGETHER, BUT NOW I'M GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT. THE POINT IS, AS THINGS ARE NOW, WHAT REASON IS THERE TO HAVE DEFENSE AT ALL IF IT IS NOT LEGAL FOR ANOTHER PLAYER TO TRY TO DESTROY YOU?

FURTHERMORE, SMALLER COUNTRIES ARE ALREADY SO POWERLESS IN THIS GAME THAT MEMBERS OF LARGE ALLIANCES FEEL SAFE HITTING THEM TEN OR MORE TIMES IN A DAY. THE ONLY RISK FOR THE BOTTOMFEEDER IS THAT HE MAY ANGER HIS TARGET ENOUGH THAT HE DECIDES TO "SUICIDE". MAKE THE "SUICIDING" ILLEGAL, AND YOU HAVE NOW REMOVED ALL RISK FROM THE BOTTOMFEEDER.

AND FINALLY, THE POTENTIAL FOR "SUICIDING" LEADS TO MORE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL PLAY. I REMEMBER MANY MANY YEARS AGO IN THE TOURNAMENT, I USED TO SEND AN APOLOGY NOTE TO EVERY VICTIM OF MY AGGRESSION, OFTEN EVEN OFFERING AN ALLIANCE OR SOME FORM OF COMPENSATION FOR THE LAND I HAD STOLEN. IF THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY THAT THE VICTIM OF YOUR AGGRESSION MAY BUY UP A BILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF TANKS AND EXPLODE YOU WITH THEM, THEN WHAT REASON DO YOU HAVE TO NOT BE AN ARROGANT TYRANT?

ALMOST EVERY ONE OF YOU HERE COMMITS UNPROVOKED ACTS OF AGGRESSION EVERY SINGLE DAY IN ORDER TO GAIN LAND. IT IS HYPOCRISY TO SAY THAT SOMEONE WHO CHOOSES TO BE AGGRESSIVE AGAINST YOU IN A DESTRUCTIVE WAY SHOULD BE BANNED. YES, THE "SUICIDER" IS DAMAGING YOUR ABILITY TO FINISH WELL... JUST AS YOU DAMAGE THE ABILITY OF OTHERS WHENEVER YOU "LAND GRAB".

HA!

SAM
CHAMPION OF THE EUGLAF DIVISION,
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

locket Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 22:05:38

Originally posted by Mr.Silver:

i disagree locket.

There's a difference between someone retaliating for something that was done and those that play for the sole purpose of making others quit.

PP, KJ, KJ's other account, and Edge do nothing but suicide fo ratleast the past year some longer. The only thing they even try to do is get others to quit.

Apparently we have to protect the people who are trying to get players to quit so that we can maintain the integrity of the game... yah.... that sure sounds great eh? Banning is the only option with the people you mention and if half these people had to deal with something like this they'd probably change their opinions.

aten Game profile

Nov 2nd 2012, 22:18:37

Every action has the potential to cause players to quit. Anyone recall Arrow leaving as a tag because they were screwed reset after reset?

How about all the people telling Fazer to stop playing and leave already? Are they not also trying to drive players away?

Sucks to be on the receiving end, but who are you to determine when "enough is enough"? What is a proper retaliation and what "just screwing around to force others to quit"?

If they get farmed or screwed with set after set for years on end (e.g. by RD), why is it somehow not legit for them to return the favor now that the game actually has active cheat detection?