Xinhuan Game profile

Aug 25th 2012, 1:39:33

It's not the court system.

It's the Patent system.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Aug 25th 2012, 1:50:39

Although it's no surprise that a US company would win vs a non-us company in such a dispute.
In any case I bet it will be appealed.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Aug 25th 2012, 1:51:18

It's also kind of sad because apple's product is rather inferior and overpriced.

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

H Game profile

Aug 25th 2012, 2:39:06

Just bought an S3... hope I dont have to give it back cause its square with rounded edges :P

Seriously tho, doesnt apple have samsung parts in it?

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Aug 25th 2012, 2:41:43

and people wonder why apple sucks.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 25th 2012, 3:19:35

I've never liked apple because they like to control stuff too much and sell over priced products.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 25th 2012, 17:05:47

Hopefully apple gets smacked down when this is appealed; and then appealed again; and again....
Finally did the signature thing.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 25th 2012, 17:09:42

Im hoping one day someone with billions decides to compete with apple and names their company "Orange" :p
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Fatty Game profile

Aug 25th 2012, 17:48:18

Immigration is far more fluffed up.

We got illegal Mexicans running around like fleas, on food stamps with free housing. 12 million of the fluffers.

~Fatty~

Farming alliances since 2002.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 25th 2012, 18:02:12

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
Im hoping one day someone with billions decides to compete with apple and names their company "Orange" :p

Apple already should have been smacked down for getting into the music business, which they *agreed not to* with the Beatles Apple lable...

Atryn Game profile

Aug 25th 2012, 19:08:06

Originally posted by H:
Seriously tho, doesnt apple have samsung parts in it?

From TFA: The companies are rivals, but also have a $5 billion-plus supply relationship. Apple is Samsung's biggest customer for microprocessors and other parts central to Apple's devices.

TanX Game profile

Aug 26th 2012, 2:10:35

They sold products for the prices people were willing to pay, and along the way became one of the most successful businesses in history. Fact. Where in there is it possible to infer overpricing?

If you hold a patent on a technology, it means you have the sole right to use that technology for the life of the patent. How is it unreasonable for them to protect their immense investment from being copied? I highly doubt "rectangles with rounded corners" is the primary patent being defended.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for apple's design philosophy, and I don't own a single one of their devices, but come on. Business is business.

FYI, apple didn't break the settlement agreement you're referring to, qzjul.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 26th 2012, 2:32:49

Originally posted by TanX:
They sold products for the prices people were willing to pay, and along the way became one of the most successful businesses in history. Fact. Where in there is it possible to infer overpricing?

If you hold a patent on a technology, it means you have the sole right to use that technology for the life of the patent. How is it unreasonable for them to protect their immense investment from being copied? I highly doubt "rectangles with rounded corners" is the primary patent being defended.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for apple's design philosophy, and I don't own a single one of their devices, but come on. Business is business.

FYI, apple didn't break the settlement agreement you're referring to, qzjul.

Pretty sure they got sued over it; also, if you read their patents, yes, rectangles with rounded corners is one of them, and the others are just as lame

Junky Game profile

Aug 26th 2012, 5:14:46

Merca.... YEEEEEHAAAW!
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

elvesrus

Aug 26th 2012, 13:05:35

latest from groklaw essentially reads: jury fluffed up big time
http://www.groklaw.net/...hp?story=2012082510525390
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Aug 26th 2012, 13:14:58

$1bn is too little. The gains Samsung made from IP infringement were much higher. Same goes for Apple and their €500m settlement with Nokia a while back. Should have banned sales of Galaxy series phones and iPhones.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

TanX Game profile

Aug 27th 2012, 4:05:49

qzjul, they did get sued, and they won. The agreement allowed them to use the Apple trademark on goods and services that were "used to reproduce, run, play or otherwise deliver such content," as long as the content was not on a physical media such as a CD. Considering iTunes is what they were being sued over, I'd say iTunes wouldn't qualify as breaking that settlement agreement.

Atryn Game profile

Aug 27th 2012, 5:57:59

elvesrus: good link, just finished reading most of the comments there. Interesting stuff.