Verified:

Tigress Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 2:06:29

Why on earth would anyone be selling oil @ $60 a barrel???

10K acre fascist oiler will beat a techer or casher to hell and back when prices are just right ;)

sad part is those selling the oil rarely realize the demand is there regardless of price :o

3.5 barrels per acre * 9000 acres = 31,500 barrels per turn * $280 per barrel = $8,820,000

very small amounts of tech needed mostly

* military tech which is cheap at the start of a reset

* a little biz/res to minimize cash loss per turn (done right you can have a positive cash flow)

* Agri tech to minimize the amount of farms needed for positive food flow achievable with about 300-500 farms

* Weapons for defense

* SDI needs no explanation

* mil strat if planning to landgrab

--------------------------------

180 CS optimal CS for 10k acres
320 Indies for spies
500 Farms
9000 Rigs

oil @ $210 matches the techer with tech @2200... but you do not have to buy food.

why sell oil under $200 ??? that is if you want a top 10 finish...
Happy Hunting

Tigress

crest23 Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 4:42:31

Lol. The reason someone would sell oil at $60 would be because they understand Economics 101, it's called supply and demand. In the past 6 hrs a sum total of a staggering 6099 barrels of oil has been sold. Only 6 countries have grabbed since the set began. I hope that helps you.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Tigress Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 5:06:12

As a Fascist I can sell it for 60 on my Private Market ... no Taxes :p
Happy Hunting

Tigress

treekul Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 5:39:07

kinda like turrets at 110, everyone buys them why sell them so damn cheap

Tigress Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 6:13:54

If oil was at the right price we would not be seeing cheap military and tech on the market. Turrets this early in the game should be fluctuating $160-180.

With oil that cheap land grabbing is made way too easy from a financial perspective, so we get 30k acre commies. If players had to choose targets carefully because oil was at a premium it would definitely change the dynamics.

With oil at 210 it costs 8.4M to move a million jets. spending 40M + for 5 planned strikes a day would stabilize prices. A lot less suicides too because you are not going to get the 200-300 hits in without some significant cost associated to it.

just my take on the price of oil... probably not worth the 2 cents of electricity it used to post this :p
Happy Hunting

Tigress

afaik Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 9:49:26

it makes sense in theory, however it doesn't work that way in practice. primary last set was a good example... $300 oil had almost no effect on number of grabs... only when it reached over $400 per unit did people slow down on the SS and make more considered planned strikes.

i speak only of netgaining, not your point on suiciders.

your theory is completely correct though.

equally the tech market crash isn't usually demand-driven, it is now driven by techers expectation of market trends, coupled with the need to sell fast. the 'price people will pay' is pretty far from the first consideration to those selling - it's equally frustrating as with oil.

Rob Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 11:32:55

Agreed. In the tech market, even with tech prices around 1800-2200 early on, even if the market empties out at times, prices still remain.

I frankly dont know why anyone produces oil to be sold on the market with these prices making it completely unproductive to do so.

silentwolf Game profile

Jul 5th 2012, 12:38:01

ROB ! I heard ur a MALAYSIA MARI ! is it true ?